• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest X announced for Windows PCs (Benchmark and Beta signups available now)

Shouta

Just input your password, hit the connect button and then hit connect to VPN immediately after. It should load up before the game tries to connect you to the servers.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I got the region block screen.

Oh thank god, it was just that VPN server, tried another and I'm in.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
After starting an online game I think I randomized my character, I just appeared as a purple elf girl, ha. So after a few story triggers and finding another trigger in a temple out of town, I'm kinda wandering aimlessly...but I'm just glad to be playing, its great so far. Every race has their own little story segments I guess?

Shouta

Right, each race has their own story to follow at the start. It's a vignette to introduce the world and the races.

Since I can't progress anymore in the story, I decided to go check out the elf country.

It's very pretty. I noticed that everyone there plays as a female elf.

mattiewheels

The offline guide I found on gamefaqs helped me out tremendously...there doesn't happen to be anything like that for the online start, particularly for the elf storyline, eh?

Sinople

I downloaded the client out of curiosity but I'm hooked now!
And here I thought I was done with MMORPG after WoW...

I'm in what I think is the Dwarf starting area working on Quest 005. I think I need to say おめでとーん! to one of the NPCs according to the Japanese wiki, but I have no idea how to do that. Anyone got any clues?

I'm not sure which NPC you need to talk to, but B brings up pre-set messages. Just scroll through the list until you find it. I think that one is on the first page

Sinople

If it's like the ogre quest, it's not a pre-set message and you have to type it manually in the chat window. It's probably the case here as おめでとーん is not exactly a common word, lol.

I was afraid you were going to say that. Cut and paste doesn't work in the chat window, so I guess I'll need to figure out how to install a Japanese soft keyboard in Windows 8 and go hiragana hunting.

Wow. Can't believe I got that to work with knowing zero Japanese. Here's what I had to do.

- Install the Japanese language pack
- Enable Japanese for non-Unicode programs (Under Region-Advanced in Windows 8)
- Once back in game, hit right Shift to begin typing, make sure your newly installed Japanese Hiragana keyboard is active, and type the following characters on your English keyboard. O M E D E T O - N N !
- NPC should respond to that and you can continue completing the quest.

extralite

Anyone know where bubble slimes are at? I need them for the bank quest.

There are plenty in the northern part of Gren East, right before you get to the Shishimon, which bridges the first ogre region with the central one. Also Mogarim in the dwarf region, reachable from Gatara.

TunaLover

Does this make a western release more or less likely?
Nintendo was helping SE to grow DQ brand in America, the PC announcement makes sense for western audiences, so probably Nintendo is not bringing the game over seas since they would have demanded some sort of exclusivity.

Shouta

So, I've been playing little bit by little bit in this limited PC Beta and I got myself up as far as I can with the area that are available. Hit level 17 and got myself a full chain set. Shield is the only thing that's lacking though. Here's some random pics I took.

IZ6axC3.jpg

LrJzIaU.jpg

rgirKXi.jpg

u7HEECZ.jpg

BUx0Bbl.jpg

D71Et9l.jpg

mDW40Ab.jpg

I'm having real problems logging into this.

I'm starting the app my VPN connected, I've checked that whatismyipaddress.com reports I'm in Japan.. but after the DQX logo disappears I get an error box with a bunch of ???? marks on it and then the application quits.

Anyone got any suggestions?

I'm having real problems logging into this.

I'm starting the app my VPN connected, I've checked that whatismyipaddress.com reports I'm in Japan.. but after the DQX logo disappears I get an error box with a bunch of ???? marks on it and then the application quits.

Anyone got any suggestions?

You can only play the beta at certain times. 8 PM PST - 2 AM PST

Shouta

Yep. only certain times for the beta. It's currently 10am to 11pm every day in Japan (or 6pm to 7am PST) and then 24/7 on the weekends. It just started version 1.1 where it's testing a few more things like housing. They even snet 30k gold to start and test it out. I tried it but didn't have any for furniture so meh. It's cool though.

If they can create more incentives to use personal housing beyond just decoration and stuff, that'd be fantastic. Minigames that are playable at home or bonuses for resting there. Community events in neighborhoods as well would be amazing.

mattiewheels

So the next beta phase started? Last time I tried was after the 10th and it said come back next phase. I didn't play very much though because the language barrier was worse then I thought.

Kenka

Finally got to run the benchmark and the game looks good.
I expected more guts from my i3-2100/ GTX 560Ti combo though.

dmOQyfD.png

Top Bottom