• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest X coming to the Wii U on 3\30 with a bundle also

Since Nintendo is thinking about Digital as a lowering risk strategy, how about releasing it digitally.

that would be enough if it is so niche and they don't expect much sales.

it is not like we would get to play the MMO with worldwide players. Just have regional servers like Monster Hunter is doing.

keep everything eShop exclusive for the west, that way only people with internet connections and a credit card already set on eShop will access it so no confusion about it being an MMO you pay your fees on eShop and GO!

I know.

Really think they could've done more with the WiiU version, graphically. Then again, graphics are not that important for MMOs anyway.

To me, this looks better than Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. Cleaner. Maybe it is the art. Or maybe Wii -> Wii U is greater than 3DS -> Wii U

TunaLover

If it runs at a solid framerate, then they did plenty. The original version runs like dog crap.
I think a solid framerate, higher resolution, and no jaggies is just fine, personally, having played the Wii version for a while.

Wii U version has proper character shadows and probably better draw distance too.

Aeana

You can play the entire game solo apparently. Which kind of defeats the purpose of it being an MMO but I can imagine this game being a lot more difficult by yourself
There's content you can't do by yourself in the game, even with an AI party. The main story bosses are really difficult with the AI party members, for instance, especially if they happen to require positioning, because the AI dudes aren't going to move where they need to move. (._. )

Haunted

If it runs at a solid framerate, then they did plenty. The original version runs like dog crap.
I think a solid framerate, higher resolution, and no jaggies is just fine, personally, having played the Wii version for a while.
That's terrible, I wasn't aware.

I don't have many positive things to say so I'm not going to say much more (>_>), but the thing that's most striking about the screens I've seen, from the announcement of the Wii version to these ones, is how empty the world seems to be. I don't know if they're going for an increased sense of scale with large swathes of empty land, but with the sketchy texture work, it seems just barren and lifeless (and not in a good, atmospheric way).

I haven't read many impressions, but I remember johntv being really into the game, so I'm sure it has some cool stuff in it.

But every single game in the series has character art designed by Akira Toriyama. Have you ever seen Dragon Quest 8? It's basically like this only better looking.

I don't know how to describe it outside of this being the first game in the series that the characters don't look they were born with some sort of developmental disorder.

There's content you can't do by yourself in the game, even with an AI party. The main story bosses are really difficult with the AI party members, for instance, especially if they happen to require positioning, because the AI dudes aren't going to move where they need to move. (._. )

can they upgrade the AI with Wii U?

what about all the other players walking by doing the little dance they do to help you in your solo battles?

There is a server dedicated to people wanting to play the game solo so I don't think that the other players would be showing up there. You can recruit their characters as AI controlled party members though

Mandadory (~16GB) installation or sh**ty translation? (source)

To play, you need to install the software to the body. To the unit installation 16GB. (Can also be installed to a USB storage media, sold separately)

Also, if you are using a Wii U Basic Set, for installation on the Wii, you must have a USB storage media (sold separately)

Is it only talking about data/save files or the whole game?

If the latter, incoming WiiU firmware update <= March 30 ?

Sagitario

Things change, though.

While I would not necessarily be surprised if they brought it over (or any more DQ games period), Square-Enix has been reluctant to continue the series in America. DQVI DS was cancelled and picked up by Nintendo. DQMJ2 was published by Nintendo and mega-bombed. Terry's Wonderland didn't even come here period, neither did Rocket Slime, when previous games in those series did.

It might be that Square-Enix is done with the series in the US and Nintendo might only be interested in traditional mainline releases on their systems.

I am still bitter and sad about this! :mad:
At this time, I would even take a eShop only release.

Aeana

Mandadory (~16GB) installation or sh**ty translation? (source)

Is it only talking about data/save files or the whole game?

If the latter, incoming WiiU firmware update <= March 30 ?
What's the point of confusion? You have to install the game to play it, period. The basic set doesn't have enough internal memory to install the whole game, so you have to use a USB device. The premium set has enough space to install it to internal memory, so the USB device is separate.

What's the point of confusion? You have to install the game to play it, period. The basic set doesn't have enough internal memory to install the whole game, so you have to use a USB device. The premium set has enough space to install it to internal memory, so the USB device is separate.

I'm not aware of any other WiiU titles (DISC releases) that can/must be installed.

No confusion.

So, the Beta begins in a little over half an hour. I will be trying it out when I get home from work (but it is my first ever experience with a DQ game).

Anyone else with mroe experience going to be playing?

DaBoss

I know it's tired to hate on NoA, but it's nice to see them make a smart decision such as this.

I don't think NOA really has a say for DQX. It is going to be SE and NCL that would have to team up to localize the game, the latter would probably help with server costs if localized.

EDIT: Misread what you said, but my point still stands, if anyone is going to get credit, it would be NCL.

Really hopes this comes out in NA.
I completely misinterpreted the headline into thinking it comes out for the US in May.

I thought the WiiU version was already out in Japan for some reason.

And here I was, all ready to do the standard complaints about "do I need to buy this in order to get Rocket Slime and DQ7."

Top Bottom