• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest X for Switch launches this fall in Japan

Chaos17

DQX-Switch-Fall-2017-Japan.jpg

The Switch version of Dragon Quest X, the massively multiplayer online Dragon Quest, will launch in Japan this fall, Square Enix announced.

The PlayStation 4 version of Dragon Quest X was previously announced for a summer release in Japan. The game is already available on Wii U, 3DS, and PC.

Watch a new trailer below.

TRAILER: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD7ofYKAWII

Read more at http://gematsu.com/2017/04/dragon-quest-x-switch-launches-fall-japan#xs3lk6fa36FERHsv.99

Eolz

Man, I'll always hope for a localization, even if it never happens.
Such a fun-looking game...

I was lost between the 3 streams and saw the end of what I belived was the DQ11 annoucement on switch. What a looser.

OK, let's see if it release overseas. probably not.

RPGCrazied

And still no localization in sight for NA. Its been on the Wii/Wii U/PC and now switch? Is it really that hard to make it F2P with microtransactions? Would probably make them a little money.

Ōkami

This was announced some time ago actually, back when they said they were droping support for the Wii version.

That's also when the mentioned they were making a campaing to migrate Wii users to Switch and that the PS4 version would be out on the summer.

extralite

Download version will be free for people who own the Wii version. Including version 2&3, even if you never bought them, for Wii or at all. Good for me, since I upgraded to U before getting the add-ons.

Mozendo

I seriously hope this comes west. Every console has an MMO and games with MMO elements within them like FF14, Destiny, ESO, and The Division for example and iirc all of them are now successes. If this comes over I don't think it'll be on the same league as FF14 or Destiny, but if it comes to the switch (and other platforms) I believe it might be successful.

No XI, but an old X port for Switch?

But DQ X was officially announced first, of course we're going to get news about that first.

U16bDqc.jpg

Every time I saw copies of this game in Japan, I cried and was so depressed I still can't play it. I even street passed with people on 3DS whose last game played was the 3DS version :(

Perineum

I am still curious about this game since I heard old FFXI devs are a part of this team.

Looks fun, like the art style, etc.

I think this could be a success in the west...

On the one hand I really wanna try this game. On the other, I barely have enough time for FFXIV so maybe not.

U16bDqc.jpg

Every time I saw copies of this game in Japan, I cried and was so depressed I still can't play it. I even street passed with people on 3DS whose last game played was the 3DS version :(

They have this running on 3DS? An mmo? Good lord, the one dude on 8-4play wasn't joking when he said even his toaster runs DQX.

Arzehn

This isn't coming to the west. Game is 5 years old already. Ship sailed, It's already too late. It would sell to like 60,000 dragon quest fans + curious mmoers on release and only keep dropping subs from there till SE is translating new content for 14,000 subs effectively wasting their time and money.

Time to let go, I know I have.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
On the one hand I really wanna try this game. On the other, I barely have enough time for FFXIV so maybe not.

They have this running on 3DS? An mmo? Good lord, the one dude on 8-4play wasn't joking when he said even his toaster runs DQX.

Yeh it's a cloud version. Basically the 3DS is a light client is my understanding. Mobile also has this setup (it's where the 3DS version came from).

NolbertoS

So does this MMO have English sub titles option?? I'm gonna import it so I can at least say I have a complete DQ collection, but I'd sink my life away ona DQ MMO. Make it happen SE out West for the rest of the users

Azuran

Banned
Why couldn't this series have been bigger over here? I want to play this game so bad but I completely lost hope that it's ever getting localized because no one actually cares about DQ in the west.

sensui-tomo

Why couldn't this series have been bigger over here? I want to play this game so bad but I completely lost hope that it's ever getting localized because no one actually cares about DQ in the west.

I wish this came out, but i've always seen the reason it never did being, DQ9 sold well but we dont want to release a competitor to FF14 (before it even came out)... then ff14 happened and was utter shit which needed an extensive save in the form of A Realm Reborn. I loved DQ9 and i've always seen this as the next step in that direction. (in terms of multiplayer.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
U16bDqc.jpg

hold up, what in blue blazes is going on in DQ10 that warrants a toriyama sexy teacher character

Mozendo

Why couldn't this series have been bigger over here?

I know people tend to say it's because advertising, but I don't think that's the only reason why.

The first thing that stands out is that the only Dragon Quest game we got for the Playstation 1 was a 2.5D RPG, it came out at the end of the Playstation's life cycle and at that point people were already impressed by Final Fantasy 7, 8, and 9 people wanted more more visually impressive RPGs and they were looking forward to PS2 RPGs.

Which brings me to the next reason, there just wasn't enough DQ games being localizedd or developed to keep the franchise relevant in the west. During the Golden Era of Japanese RPGs (which I count as fourth gen to sixth gen) we only got 2 new titles mainline titles, 7 and 8. Even if 5 & 6 were localized (Enix NA got denied to localize 5 and went bankrupt during localizing 6 iirc), it was really the fifth and sixth generations of consoles that boosted the franchises in the west, FF and MegaTen are both examples.

I could be wrong, those are just my assumptions. I was only 2 years old when FF7 came to the west and didn't start taking the gaming industry seriously until midway to the 7th gen life cycle.

zelas

Portable MMORPG. Crazy.... now if only we could get this game in the west.

Is it really that crazy that such a concept exists considering this very game has been available on mobile and 3DS for years? DQX wasnt the first portable mmo then either.

Top Bottom