• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest X launches for PS4 on August 17, Switch September 21 (Japan)

Ridley327

So apparently there's a demo out for the Switch, and it isn't too good? Seen that on twitter today.
Hope they'll fix that for the release then...

The beta doesn't even start until July. Are you sure they weren't confusing it with the DQH1&2 demo that's been available since launch?

EDarkness

So the PS4 version costs more per month than the other versions, and you can't use the same sub to play on (Wii U/PC/Switch) and PS4 because they're not compatible. Awful.

http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/20014036.html

That sucks. I guess Sony doesn't want a lot of overlap between the PS4 and other versions. It sucks for the user since they'll be trapped in the Sony ecosystem and won't be able to move over should they decide to switch platforms at some point. I wonder if that's why Square Enix decided to release the PS4 version first to give it some time to get more users initially since it would make more sense to get the NS version since you can move your character over. PS4 users would have to start from scratch and having more time to level and such would be good.

Oregano

That sucks. I guess Sony doesn't want a lot of overlap between the PS4 and other versions. It sucks for the user since they'll be trapped in the Sony ecosystem and won't be able to move over should they decide to switch platforms at some point. I wonder if that's why Square Enix decided to release the PS4 version first to give it some time to get more users initially since it would make more sense to get the NS version since you can move your character over. PS4 users would have to start from scratch and having more time to level and such would be good.

I also believe Nintendo/SE are doing an upgrade program for Switch when they discontinue the Wii version.

Ridley327

Yeah. It's a good system, actually. The Wii isn't getting the latest update, right?

Yeah, support for the Wii version is ending. Wii U will still be going, but I expect that will only have a couple more years at best as the Switch version will raise the baseline more than the Wii U could hope to provide.

Aeana

There is overlap, though. They're all still playing on the same servers. And you can cancel your PS4 sub and go sub for Switch or whatever and keep playing on your same character. It's just that until now, you only paid one sub and could play on all platforms (except smartphone/3DS, which are a little different). Now PS4 has its own higher sub.

EDarkness

There is overlap, though. They're all still playing on the same servers. And you can cancel your PS4 sub and go sub for Switch or whatever and keep playing on your same character. It's just that until now, you only paid one sub and could play on all platforms (except smartphone/3DS, which are a little different). Now PS4 has its own higher sub.

Hmmm...that's a little strange. I wonder why they would do it that way. I guess at least a person's character isn't locked to their Sony account, so if they want to move over to a different platform, they can. They just have to jump through more hoops to do so.

mao2

So the PS4 version costs more per month than the other versions, and you can't use the same sub to play on (Wii U/PC/Switch) and PS4 because they're not compatible. Awful.

http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/20014036.html
9bc1924abf810f0c67e45c526d9beebb.jpg

f4a300d0281beff24210bfd6d0f96c7d.jpg

That's a rather misleading statement. PS4 version actually costs the same as the other versions when comparing the same 5 character course (1,500 DQX points). The problem is that it's limited to this 5 character course, whereas on the other platforms, you can opt for the cheaper 3 character course (1,000 DQX points) and 4 character course (1,300 DQX points).

Aeana

I don't think it's misleading at all. Most people don't play two characters, let alone five. The result is that their sub will be more, period.

EDarkness

That's a rather misleading statement. PS4 version actually costs the same as the other versions when comparing the same 5 character course (1,500 DQX points). The problem is that it's limited to this 5 character course, whereas on the other platforms, you can opt for the cheaper 3 character course (1,000 DQX points) and 4 character course (1,300 DQX points).

Since players don't have the option to opt out of having 5 characters, they're paying more on average compared to everyone else.

mao2

I don't think it's misleading at all. Most people don't play two characters, let alone five. The result is that their sub will be more, period.
Since players don't have the option to opt out of having 5 characters, they're paying more on average compared to everyone else.
Eh I'm not disagreeing the fact that players on PS4 are forced to pay more. What I'm saying is that the statement is misleading because without going into details, one might assume that you're comparing the same thing (5 character course) and PS4 version actually costs more. That's what I thought at first until I actually read the source article.

Effect

Oh. Was reading that originally as same servers but different accounts.

Luigiv

013_3a6628ce78ca5f7305da07cdfdb74f3c.jpg

CPU: i5-6267U
GPU: Intel 550 << what the?
RAM 8GB
HDD 1TB

That's the integrated GPU that comes with that CPU, or in other words, no discrete GPU. Not surprising given ultra book class laptops rarely have discrete graphics these days. As far as iGPU's go, the Intel Iris 550 ain't bad. 840 gflops with 64MB eDRAM. Should be able outperform the Switch.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Didn't DQX bomb in Japan 5 years ago? Amazing to see SE not throwing the towel.
It bombed for a DQ game for sure. I think it's still pretty successful. I guess it's like XI was for Final Fantasy.

It didnt bomb at all - its has been one of the big SE money makers for years now. Thats not a bomb, its a subscription-based MMO.

marmoka

Banned
It didnt bomb at all - its has been one of the big SE money makers for years now. Thats not a bomb, its a subscription-based MMO.

I thought it had bombed because people in Japan didn't like the MMO game style. Wasn't FFXIV similar, and had to fix many things because it wasn't successful at all? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Ferr986

I thought it had bombed because people in Japan didn't like the MMO game style. Wasn't FFXIV similar, and had to fix many things because it wasn't successful at all? Correct me if I'm wrong.

FFXIV bombed because it was a very bad game. Seems like DQX was decent for the start.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member

well that's dumb ._."

is there an IP region lock in this game? if not, I might look into the switch version..as long as I can pay the sub with point-cards I can buy from amazon.co.jp.

It's an MMO, you don't need super twitch response times. I've never had a single issue while playing using a VPN.

ah. I need a VPN. would you mind sharing what service you're using?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

I mean they have been maintaining/updating and supporting the game for 5 years now...with PS4/Switch version incoming now as well. Do you think this would happen if the project wasnt profitable for them ?

The main "issue" of DQX early on was that it was Wii only, so the usual MMO crowd probably had issues experiencing it.

Cmagus

If I were to grab this on PS4 would getting a subscription iotion be easy? I remember playing this a bit on PC but if I remember correctly it use to be hard getting a subscription for this.

Wasn't FFXI the most successful FF game in the history of the franchise from a financial perspective?

Yea FFXI boasted around 500k subscribers playing at once at its peak and is Squares most financially successful Final Fantasy title to boot. However I expect XIV to overcome as I believe its subscriber numbers are somewhere between 2-3 million.

ZeoVGM

Banned
All I want from E3 this year are PS4 North American announcements for DQX and PSO2.

That is my dream.

(I'll also take PSO1 HD for PS4 as well.)

Top Bottom