• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest X TGS Stage Event: new classes, level cap raised, housing, Wii U footage

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Playing on the GamePad will be great...West release plase. WiiU version looks just as expected which is completely fine with me.

kitsuneyo

The WiiU version looks pretty nice. Draw distances look very short but apart from that it's what I expected.

Shame the video didn't show how you type messages to other players, but I imagine that's a massive improvement over the Wii version. Hope an English version is coming.

Aeana

So it's just what I thought. It looks like the livecam on the player site. It also looks like the framerate is much better, so I'd call that a win.

Gloam

Looks pretty good, the framerate boost alone does a lot for the game. I wonder if it'll stay smooth during the online section though... Nevertheless, looking forward to hanging up the Wii version for this eventually.

Myriadis

It is not that much, don't know where he got that from.

It's roughly $12 a month, $24 for 60 days and $35.50 for 90 days. Square Enix also offers 2 hours of free play every day.

Is it two hours as in "only from 5 pm to 7 pm" or does it just log you out automatically after two hours? In the second case, I would be interested in that one, as I rarely play more than 2 hours anyway.

And I like what I see, Polycount is alright. I just think that they need better textures, at least for the ground. There's enough RAM for it.

Aeana

The livecam looks like this:

shot_hl.jpg

Which is what I expected it to look like on Wii U all along.

Is it two hours as in "only from 5 pm to 7 pm" or does it just log you out automatically after two hours? In the second case, I would be interested in that one, as I rarely play more than 2 hours anyway.

And I like what I see, Polycount is alright. I just think that they need better textures, at least for the ground. There's enough RAM for it.
Its a set specific time. Its called kids time or something.

They wouldn't make money if they allowed you to play 2 hours free every day whenever you want.

Sanctuary

lol...because of the graphics you were hyped for DQX ?

btw. I dont think the screens in the OP are from the WiiU version.

The video demonstrates the Wii U version, and it doesn't look that good at all. Did you happen to play DQ8? It had some of the best aesthetics on the PS2 hands down. What was being shown on the Wii U doesn't even really look like much of a step up from that graphically.

It's also pretty sad that it's an MMORPG now. Yay, now I need to rely on waiting around for other people to continue. People that may, or may not be up to speed and not drunk or whatever.

Aeana

The video demonstrates the Wii U version, and it doesn't look that good at all. Did you happen to play DQ8? It had some of the best aesthetics on the PS2 hands down. What was being shown on the Wii U doesn't even really look like much of a step up from that.

It's also pretty sad that it's an MMORPG now. Yay, now I need to rely on waiting around for other people to continue. People that may, or may not be up to speed and not drunk or whatever.

Or you could just hire support members from the tavern.
You could at least try to learn about the game before you make assumptions.

Also, anybody expecting anything for the Wii U version of this game beyond IQ and framerate cleanup was deluding themselves.

Darryl

Banned

i heard you can hire people to join your team when they're not online, or maybe just recruit NPCs to join you. either way, they said that you don't really need other people.

i don't think it looks bad at all. it looks like a fun game. i don't think dragon quest is for you if you're expecting high-end visuals.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Or you could just hire support members from the tavern.
You could at least try to learn about the game before you make assumptions.

Also, anybody expecting anything for the Wii U version of this game beyond IQ and framerate cleanup was deluding themselves.

Well...it also supports playing off the gamepad! I fear to think what this sort of innovation would do for something like WoW.

Berordn

Looks clean, and that's what matters most. Makes me wonder what the subscription situation would be if it goes overseas. I wouldn't think DQ would be popular enough worldwide to charge a sub for it, but I can't imagine that upkeep is going to pay for itself either.

Sanctuary

i heard you can hire people to join your team when they're not online, or maybe just recruit NPCs to join you. either way, they said that you don't really need other people.

i don't think it looks bad at all. it looks like a fun game. i don't think dragon quest is for you if you're expecting high-end visuals.

I suppose I should have asked if you can simply bring hirelings, since it seemed like something you should be able to do in a DQ game, even if it's based around multiplayer. They've just been focusing so much on the "MMO" part of the RPG that it seemed like that feature might actually be sidelined. I also can't see anyone paying a fee to play this over here. Is most of the content playable offline, or is it server based like most MMORPGS?

I would have played it if it had only come out on the Wii too. I just expected it to be a little more "up to date" on the Wii U is all.

Kandinsky

Coming from FFXI that was exactly what I was expecting for the WiiU version, I also expect a nice looking logo on the gamepad when playing on the TV, and I'm fine with it haha

zlatko

Banned
Um

That looks fine to me. In fact, I love that art style.

I haven't played it but the game sounds like vanilla FFXI, which makes me want the game more and more.

This in a lot of ways is the reason I want this game and would buy a Wii U for. I hope Nintendo USA gets on the ball---system seller to ME. Free $ Nintendo, your move.

Meelow

Banned
It's disappointing that Square didn't make the Wii U version look much better, they said "The Wii U version looks beautiful" Square lied...

Aeana

It's disappointing that Square didn't make the Wii U version look much better, they said "The Wii U version looks beautiful" Square lied...

I bet it is beautiful, compared to the Wii version. A lot of AA and a stable framerate would go a long way toward improving perception of the game while actually playing it.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Oh man. DQ10 on the Gamepad makes my knees buckle with joy. But I don't want to get too hopeful that we'll see this come over. MUST REMAIN PESSIMISTIC AND NEGATIVE.

The game looks like a pretty big step up from the Wii version. Seeing some of the Wii version this looks much cleaner. Still not the "beautiful" we heard.

speedpop

The beautiful comment is typical Square Enix though. Anyone who was expecting a major graphical overhaul or something similar were, as Aeana pointed out, deluded. We saw this exact same process happen with FF11.

Hobby

Not sure if this is old or not:

Info:
- Wii and Wii U players play on the same servers.
- No changes system or content-wise. More characters are displayed on Wii U version.
- Wii account can be transferred to Wii U.
- Can play on Wii and Wii U without an additional monthly payment. Requires one to buy the Wii or Wii U version though, of course.
- Investigating if Wii characters can partake in the Wii U beta test. Will likely have restrictions if so. Giving priority to new players on Wii U, not existing accounts.
- Development status of Wii U version: have progressed enough to show offline parts. Finishing up the online part on Wii U.
- Beta test is planned to begin around the new year.
- Character data can be transferred from the Wii U beta test to the full release.

Some Wii U screens from the stage event.

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201209/20021465.html

speedpop

Why does Dragon Quest 8 look better than 10?

Probably because Level 5 were the grunts and a majority of their games are quite pleasing in a simple visual manner. The fact that DQ10 is an MMO compared to a more concentrated development of DQ8 could also contribute largely to its looks.

At the end of the day DQ has never been about the graphics anyway. If there has been any strong criticism leveled at DQ10 from the fans, it's certainly not going to be about how it looks - though that won't even stop me from thinking that it needed some work in the lighting & shading department.

Mandoric

Banned
Gamer's now reporting a skill reset item (resets one skill/refunds points; first one's free with a lv40 quest and subsequent are 10,000 G) and a Gobbiebaginventory expansion quest from 25 to 50 available in Rakkaran at level 35.

Aeana

That's lame. One of the developers said they were going to implement skill point resets in the patch, but that it would be a system that has a variable cost based on how much you wanted to change your skills. I figured it would be like a cost based on how many skill points were moved around, not an expensive item that costs per skill line. Bleh.

Hobby

More details from another stage event:

Ranger:
- Has an ability that lets you choose not to fight enemies, instead seeing them off. (do enemies in DQX aggro?)
- Can charm enemies.
- Use "Steal" during the Ranger job quest.

Paladin:
- Use "Protection" during the Paladin job quest.

Housing:
- 1000 blocks = 100,000 houses.

Upcoming Update:
- The ability to re-spec will be added.
- Need to finish a level 40 requirement quest to re-spec.
- Will be provided an item to re-spec upon completion. Resets points from one skill.
- Have to buy additional re-spec items after using the first. Each will cost 10k gold.
- A quest will be added that'll expand inventory size from 25 to 50.
- Receive this quest from an NPC on Rakkaran Gourakushima (娯楽島ラッカラン) at level 35+.
- Letters will no longer be common items, and will be stored in a separate area.
- A letter entry will be added to the Item command. Letters will be separated by three categories here: Sent letters, Written letters, and Received letters. 100 letters can be stored in each of these three. Can also re-write letters.
- Will not need to complete a quest for these new letter features.
- Might hold an in-game festival in Astoltia (アストルティア) alongside the "Puu-chan" event scheduled in October.

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201209/21021550.html

Top Bottom