• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest XI 13 mins of PS4 city gameplay, 3DS 13 mins of the game intro

GeekyDad

The 3DS version (well, they both do) looks glorious, although -- and I never thought I'd say this -- I think I might be DQed out. But it will still be mine. Well worthy of the backlog.

sublimit

Banned
You mean burnt out? Even then that would mean you feel overworked. I see where you are coming from either way, it shall consume us all

Sorry i'm not a native english speaker so maybe i worded that poorly. Yeah i meant that i will spent so much time on it that in the end i might feel a bit burned out.The game will be massive and i'm someone who likes to take his time and explore/do everything in games that i really enjoy.

I still don't get the purpose of moving the character in battle. It just seem to be useful to adjust the camera? The game is still turnbased not ATB like Dragon Quest X and it doesn't seem you can dodge stuff or push monsters like the previous entry.

LeonSPBR

I want the 3DS version so bad. It looks so good.

The PS4 version of the game shows that the guys don't have experience with the highly detailed games. The city is a little empty, and the animations seems off. Regardless the biggest crime is the lack of orchestra.

Biske

I mean, he can't look worse than the DQVII main character.

How dare you.

He is the goat

250px-Dragonwarrior7cover.jpg

Town exploration on PS4 is going to be fun! I don't have a problem with the NPC population at all. I don't really care for random ass NPCs that you can't talk to roaming around and DQ NPCs have always been purposeful. Though I guess at times it does look a little sparse. The player jumping down from the balcony made me lol. That's convenient.

I like some of the new animations added like the Nun sweeping outside or the lady watering the flowers. Shame about the music which lets everything down.

jb1234

At least the lack of voice acting will reduce the localization time since they won't need to do a dub.

I don't know. Due to the way DQVIII was localized (adding voice acting, swapping the sequenced music for orchestral), they're going to face a lot of ire if they don't treat XI the same way.

Assuming we get it at all, of course.

At least the lack of voice acting will reduce the localization time since they won't need to do a dub.

I suspect that should this come to the west they'll do what they did with VIII PS2 and add VA and an orchestrated soundtrack. They were aware that those DQ traditions would be a hard sell more than a decade ago, I doubt they've gone back on that thinking since then.

Loving the look of the PS4 version, but I'm not digging the speech bubbles and icons above NPCs' heads. Preferred it in DQ8 where UI was pretty minimal when exploring.

Bitanator

Sorry i'm not a native english speaker so maybe i worded that poorly. Yeah i meant that i will spent so much time on it that in the end i might feel a bit burned out.The game will be massive and i'm someone who likes to take his time and explore/do everything in games that i really enjoy.

Oh yeah me too when it comes to DQ, are you one of those crazies like myself who insists on breaking everything you can and opening every thing you can more than once while talking to every new npc until the party chat is exhausted? DQVII was a dream game for us crazies, I hope XI will be like it in more ways than one.

Tohsaka

I don't know. Due to the way DQVIII was localized (adding voice acting, swapping the sequenced music for orchestral), they're going to face a lot of ire if they don't treat XI the same way.

Assuming we get it at all, of course.

I suspect that should this come to the west they'll do what they did with VIII PS2 and add VA and an orchestrated soundtrack. They were aware that those DQ traditions would be a hard sell more than a decade ago, I doubt they've gone back on that thinking since then.

Yeah, maybe. I personally don't mind too much if they just bring it over as-is, though I know it would be an issue for some people. I just want to play it ASAP, if we don't get a localization announcement at E3 I'll probably just import it since I don't want to wait much longer.

Prophane33

DQ8 for 3DS in Japan has voice acting but it's the only one that does.

Interesting. I originally passed on it because it didn't seem old enough to warrant me going through it again, unlike DQ VII. Playing a DQ with voice acting would be kind of weird though. Of course this is just a purely nostalgia-based/subjective opinion.

They're different games in most ways except story.
I'm approaching it like, I play the 3DS versions and then I don't have to wait 10+ years for a remake because there's already one available for PS4.
This is my mind set as well. It's like we've have everything all at once! And to think there's also a Switch version coming later.

wmlk

Considering how recently they've been removing orchestrated music from the Japanese releases for the localized versions, I don't think so.

Jesus, it'd probably take me over an hour to explore that city / talk to everyone. So much verticality and little side paths. Cant wait!

Philippo

PS4 version keeps being beautiful.

Hope we get VO and orchestral score in the West like we did with VIII, then i have no more problems.

Top Bottom