• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest XI Battle System Details

- The PlayStation 4 version uses a ”Free Movement Battle" system where you can freely move the character and viewpoint. There is also an ”Auto Camera Battle" system in which you can enjoy an immersive battle.

- The 3DS version has a "2D Mode" featuring familiar 2D pixel graphics, and "3D Mode" featuring 3D characters and monsters.

- Both the PlayStation 4 and 3DS versions use command-based battle systems. The ”Falcon Slash" and ”Thwack" options can be seen in use in screenshots of the PlayStation 4 and 3DS versions, respectively.

- You can preemptively strike enemies.

- There is some sort of new element in which the protagonist is surrounded by a blue aura.

- Two new monsters, Mandra and Ocobolt, are pictured.

http://gematsu.com/2017/03/dragon-quest-xi-introduces-battle-system-new-characters-martina-rou

Ydelnae

So both versions are turn based, with the PS4 version featuring dynamic camera movement and character movement.

Fraxin

Never played DQX, so I'm wondering if the game is still turn based or not and if we would be able to control the other characters in the battle.

Deja

As someone who didn't play X, could someone explain what they mean by the "free movement battle"?

Like others here, I hope I'm still able to control all characters independently and issue commands for each.

I really hope that the positioning matters in this free movement system. If there's one thing I absolutely hate about games like Secret of Mana or many MMOs, it is being able to walk out of an enemy's perceivable range, but them still being able to hit me with melee attacks from across the screen somehow. I'd rather not be able to walk around at all if this is going to be the case. I understand this is done to avoid kiting enemies in turn-based systems, but I think it's bad and unfair looking visual feedback.

Please please please let me control all the characters like the classic DQ games in the PS4 version and I hope just because we can freely move doesn't mean we need to be in certain spots to do attacks. I just want a classic turn based DQ game on the PS4!

Kanann

As someone who didn't play X, could someone explain what they mean by the "free movement battle"?

Like others here, I hope I'm still able to control all characters independently and issue commands for each.

Move side to avoid front beam or begirama type magic (AI will do this too, faster than you LOL)

Move to enemies's back to avoid their shout

Move far to avoid area attack
Move far from whom targeted by area attack

Jump to avoid ground attack

Please please please let me control all the characters like the classic DQ games in the PS4 version and I hope just because we can freely move doesn't mean we need to be in certain spots to do attacks. I just want a classic turn based DQ game on the PS4!

Seem some of the sceenshots showing player controls Kamu and that blonde girl.

Galava

Kingdom Hearts combat system but turn-based, or like FFXII might be a better comparisson. Tales of games also use this kind of system "kinda".

This game(s) seems like a dream game comme true for me...I suppose the Ninja girl Martina will be quite popular :p Also I love how the DQ series often include more "older casual looking characters" like this new character Rou or Torneko, Sancho and Yangus before him.

Philippo

But do we give direct commands to each party member in the PS4 version (DQVIII style), or do you only constantly control the MC and the allies are moved by AI (kind of DQX style).

Kanann

I maybe wrong but PS4's "Auto camera battle" is the mode that you can control all characters when their turn come.

"Free control" maybe just for players who like to run around with/while AIs doing their job, not as specific as DQX.

salromano

In the op.

My bad on the wording. I changed it to: "The 3DS version has a "2D Mode" featuring familiar 2D pixel graphics, and "3D Mode" featuring 3D characters and monsters."

These are 2D battles:

zkCqYln.jpg

Aeana

I'm wondering how the game will square free movement mode and auto camera mode. Auto camera mode sounds like traditional DQ, but in that case, either positioning won't matter in free movement mode, it it'll offer an absurd advantage rendering auto camera mode useless.

I assume next week's Famitsu will have much more in-depth info as usual.

extralite

I'm wondering how the game will square free movement mode and auto camera mode. Auto camera mode sounds like traditional DQ, but in that case, either positioning won't matter in free movement mode, it it'll offer an absurd advantage rendering auto camera mode useless.

I guess it won't matter and it's just there so players can get accustomed with this system so they will open up to trying other similar DQ games, future and old. DQX will be kind of new too when it comes to PS4.

Auto camera mode sounds very relieving. I just hope that means direct control over the entire party.

I assume next week's Famitsu will have much more in-depth info as usual.

Did positioning matter in DQX?

Aeana

Auto camera mode sounds very relieving. I just hope that means direct control over the entire party.

Did positioning matter in DQX?
Yes. Enemies have attacks that only affect an area in front of them, or around a certain area. And you can block enemies from reaching other characters with melee attacks by shoving them.

Yes. Enemies have attacks that only affect an area in front of them, or around a certain area. And you can block enemies from reaching other characters with melee attacks by shoving them.

Interesting, that does seem to be at odds with an auto-camera mode. Maybe the auto-camera mode will have more of an AI positioning mechanism which sorta does the positioning for you?

Kanann

I guess it won't matter and it's just there so players can get accustomed with this system so they will open up to trying other similar DQ games, future and old. DQX will be kind of new too when it comes to PS4.

^This

My guess is no need tank job or try to avoiding anything in DQXI, all depend to "SPD" and "DEF" status.

muteki

Has "free movement battle" been used before? Just from what is in the article I am still confused by what the PS4 version is supposed to do.

chicnstu

Neo Member
As much as I loved Final Fantasy XII's battle system, I was hoping Dragon Quest would stay traditional. Hopefully the Auto Camera mode is what I'm wanting.

Maybe I'll enjoy the change. That or I play the 3DS version.

kromeo

Has "free movement battle" been used before? Just from what is in the article I am still confused by what the PS4 version is supposed to do.

It might be kind of like Neptunia (except actually good) where characters take turns but can move around for a limited time in their turn, or it could be a FFXII kind of thing where you only control one person the whole time. They haven't specified yet

Tonyx

Sounds quite reasonable. More or less what you would expect from a turn based rpg nowadays.

Still.. I am pretty excited at the waves of info. Hopefully localization details will come soon.

Aeana

Imagine FF12 or DQ10. We don't know if the PS4 version enforces AI for free movement or not yet, but I assume you can at least switch between party members at will if nothing else.

Aeana

I like the sound of this.

This.....not so much.

I only mentioned FF12 because a lot of people have played it and it's closer than a lot of things. DQ10 isn't actually like FF12. No doubt about it, this is going to be closer to DQ10 than most other things. It's some of the same devs, even.

Top Bottom