• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest XI:Echoes of an Elusive Age |OT| This One Goes To XI

Teletraan1

Banned
I was going to grab this on release on Steam but my vidya card is pretty trashy at this point. It doesn't even meet the minimum requirements. Going to grab one once the RTX benchmarks are out and will probably pick this up then.

Hudo

Maybe because DQ IX was a nintendo exclusive and X was also on a nintendo platform... I guess?
But wasn't that Yuji Hori's decision? He is pretty independent, after all. I mean he also decided to push Dragon Quest 7 and 8 onto Playstation platforms. So, I'm not sure how much influence Nintendo actually have. The Wii was extremely popular back in the days, so it kinda made sense to push DQX onto it. However, there are also PC and PS4 versions.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Amazon marked my order as shipped last night and created a tracking number. Obviously it's not moving today since they shipped it USPS. It's two states away so I'm looking at Wed night at the earliest.

Seriously considering just paying full price on PSN and returning my physical copy unopened.

Amazon marked my order as shipped last night and created a tracking number. Obviously it's not moving today since they shipped it USPS. It's two states away so I'm looking at Wed night at the earliest.

Seriously considering just paying full price on PSN and returning my physical copy unopened.

My Amazon copy hasn't shipped and is now marked as arriving by 11pm tomorrow. I will be working tomorrow anyway but things like this have been happening with Amazon orders for me a lot lately: arriving extremely late in the day or at night or even the next day instead of when it's supposed to. They're service is slipping.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
My Amazon copy hasn't shipped and is now marked as arriving by 11pm tomorrow. I will be working tomorrow anyway but things like this have been happening with Amazon orders for me a lot lately: arriving extremely late in the day or at night or even the next day instead of when it's supposed to. They're service is slipping.

Glad to know I'm not the only one this is happening to. I live in the middle of nowhere so sometimes it's expected - I'd have to drive about 100 miles to get to a store that would be carrying it tomorrow so I'm basically at the mercy of places like Amazon, or giving up on buying physical copies for their digital counterparts.

RPGCrazied

Mine is in my state, but not my city as of today. Still says its being delivered by the USPS by 8pm tomorrow. Not so sure. I hope so.

NeroDaGod

Gold Member
Tried my luck, but no retailer here broke the street date. Damn, have to wait until tomorrow then.

If you're from the UK I can give you a website that often brakes the street date I got my copy on Saturday. I always use them. Might not be worth it for DQXI but you could use it for any other games you want in the future.

That's for anyone else as well I can pm you the link.

Vlaphor

I'm constantly checking my cdkeys order to see if the steam key is available yet. I know I wont be able to play it till tomorrow, but I keep checking.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I had a copy on Amazon pre ordered and scheduled to be delivered tomorrow, but there was an issue with my card and then it was expected next week. Not sure why Amazon in 2018 has a fucking digital line up to process their orders. Guess I'm going digital.

sublimit

Banned
Do we know if there will be a day 1 patch? I only had time to play the tutorial-intro but something about the graphics (on a technical aspect) looks a bit rough. I'm not complaining or anything the game artistically looks absolutely gorgeous i'm only refering to its technical aspects. I'm playing on a normal PS4 though so maybe the game looks better on a PS4 Pro.

Can't wait to play more later tonight!

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Do we know if there will be a day 1 patch? I only had time to play the tutorial-intro but something about the graphics (on a technical aspect) looks a bit rough. I'm not complaining or anything the game artistically looks absolutely gorgeous i'm only refering to its technical aspects. I'm playing on a normal PS4 though so maybe the game looks better on a PS4 Pro.

Can't wait to play more later tonight!
Well calling it "rough" doesn't really tells me anything. Is it the resolution, textures or frame-rate? I heard on the base PS4 the resolution is 900p so it might be higher on PS4 pro.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
Well calling it "rough" doesn't really tells me anything. Is it the resolution, textures or frame-rate? I heard on the base PS4 the resolution is 900p so it might be higher on PS4 pro.

Yeah i think it's the resolution and aliasing that bothers me. But it's no big deal really. I can still enjoy the game's looks perfectly fine.

DonF

considering the game was released over a year ago in japan, I doubt there are going to release any patches, unless its to fix something critical.

Danjin44

Yeah i think it's the resolution and aliasing that bothers me. But it's no big deal really. I can still enjoy the game's looks perfectly fine.
Here is DF on DQXI and see difference between PS4 and PS4 pro.

jshackles

I think I remember from the DF video on the Japanese version that the PS4 ran at 900p and the PS4 ran the game at some weird checkerboard resolution close to 1440p then upscaled to 4K. I believe their conclusion was this made it kinda blurry on the Pro

EDIT: that's the one ^^

Last edited:

120v

wonder how demanding it'll be at 4K60. my setup should be able to handle 1440 no prob but if i can play this in 4k with no fuss that would be glorious

Last edited:

RPGCrazied

At least it has a stable framerate with no pacing issues according to the DF video. I can deal with 900p and 0 AA. Yakuza Kiwami 2 was that and looked fine for the most part.

jshackles

wonder how demanding it'll be at 4K60. my setup should be able to handle 1440 no prob but if i can play this in 4k with no fuss that would be glorious

Per the specs

Processor: Intel Core i5-6600 / AMD Ryzen 7 1800X
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 / AMD Radeon RX Vega 56
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 32 GB available space
Additional Notes: 1080p 60fps

That's for 1080p at 60fps, so to do 4K at 60fps you would theoretically need to exceed those specs by a factor of 4. Realistically an i9 / GTX 1080 should be able to do 1440p/60fps, but it's difficult to say how optimized the game is for the higher benchmarked cards vs the higher framerate (PS4 is locked at 30) and the higher resolutions.

120v

Per the specs

That's for 1080p at 60fps, so to do 4K at 60fps you would theoretically need to exceed those specs by a factor of 4. Realistically an i9 / GTX 1080 should be able to do 1440p/60fps, but it's difficult to say how optimized the game is for the higher benchmarked cards vs the higher framerate (PS4 is locked at 30) and the higher resolutions.

working with an i7 6800k and 1080ti so 1440/60 shouldn't be a problem

looks like it could go either way like the game is gorgeous (albeit mostly due design) and seems fairly demanding but i could see top rigs blasting way past the Pro's performance but like you said all boils down to optimization

hecatomb

Banned
Should just pick up my copy at Best Buy tomorrow or Walmart, can't stand gamestop always asking me for stuff I never want. At least the kids are in school tomorrow so I shouldn't have a problem getting it.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Should just pick up my copy at Best Buy tomorrow or Walmart, can't stand gamestop always asking me for stuff I never want. At least the kids are in school tomorrow so I shouldn't have a problem getting it.
I guess Gamestop and EBgames are very different form each other. The EBgames I shop doesn't really asking me anything, heck! If I want used copy I have to ask for it.

hecatomb

Banned
Gamestop is one of the worst gaming stores ever. We have other stores but they only sell used games, so I have to goto Walmart, bestbuy, or gamestop like in the worst neigherhood filled with degenerate 3rd rate citizens. At least they don't shop at Bestbuy

FStubbs

I just met the minimum requirements for PC (i7 6700HQ and 960M) and I'm trying to decide between PC and PS4.

Note: definitely getting the Switch version later.

I'd lean stronger toward PC if I knew the orchestrated music was fanmodded in.

Last edited:

-MD-

Everyone has the day off but let's unlock it tomorrow when they all go back to work.

-_-

DarthPablo

Neo Member
Still debating on Digital or Physical. Digital, I can play for 2 hours tonight and restart if needed tomorrow. Physical, well, I’m old school and like having physical games, especially JRPG’s. That countdown to Midnight is very tempting.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Still debating on Digital or Physical. Digital, I can play for 2 hours tonight and restart if needed tomorrow. Physical, well, I’m old school and like having physical games, especially JRPG’s. That countdown to Midnight is very tempting.
I was initially going to go physical, but after an Amazon screw up I was almost certainly going to go digital simply because of how tempting it was to play tonight. But I have every other Dragon Quest physically, so I've opted back to physical.

jshackles

Can't afford to upset retail stores.

My wife went to our local grocery store today (to her surprise, it was actually open) and I told her to ask the clerk if they had any copies of this game since our local shop sometimes gets video games in super low low quantities and told her to act coy about not knowing the street date etc.

Turns out, they got 3 copies of the game from their distributor. The lady flat out refused to sell and said "come back tomorrow at 8am when we open if you want it". Damn.

hecatomb

Banned
Stores and companies get copies of games before they even come out, but if they sell them before release date they can get into a lot of trouble

Vlaphor

My wife went to our local grocery store today (to her surprise, it was actually open) and I told her to ask the clerk if they had any copies of this game since our local shop sometimes gets video games in super low low quantities and told her to act coy about not knowing the street date etc.

Turns out, they got 3 copies of the game from their distributor. The lady flat out refused to sell and said "come back tomorrow at 8am when we open if you want it". Damn.

Keep in mind, that most stores will have an electronic system that tells them if they can sell an item. It's mostly used for things that have been recalled, but you can easily set a sell on date on there as well.

Last edited:

hrab

What are the name restrictions anyway? I've tried a couple of them, including different variations of my nick here, but none of them were accepted because of reasons. I ended up just using my real name...

GenericUser

I always use default names for the characters. Renaming removes some of their personality in my weird twisted definition of reality.

Ar¢tos

So....I'm curious, what name you guys pick for your main character?
I hate having to name characters, it's not my story being played, it's the specific character story, so it should have a name given by devs that makes sense in the game world.
Because of that I end up naming my chars stupid things like "Dumbass" "Shitface", etc.

RPGCrazied

Today is the day! Finally, after all these years the game is released. Can't wait to get my copy today(hopefully), its in my city for final delivery it says.

bigedole

I get the feeling the edition of light accessories are a little overpowering in the early game. Game is charming, the visuals are just great. Only got in about an hour and a half last night, hope to get my first party members tonight!

Top Bottom