• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest XI:Echoes of an Elusive Age |OT| This One Goes To XI

sublimit

Banned
MQqU9Lo.jpg

Release Date: September 4 2018
Platforms: PS4,Steam
Developer: Armor Project-Square Enix
Publisher:Square Enix

Review Thread

________________________________________________________________________________

Versions

EanNdlu.jpg

1rDfm3y.jpg

qCvJo5o.jpg

60F5DuA.jpg

"A young man, about to participate in his village’s coming of age ceremony, heads off to the top of the local lookout point alongside his childhood friend. After a series of unexpected events, this intrepid adventurer learns he is the reincarnation of a legendary hero from a forgotten age.

The young hero sets forth into an unknown world on a journey to unravel the mystery of his past…but the welcome he receives is far from warm.

Upon revealing his identity to the King, the hero is branded as “The Darkspawn” and hunted by a relentless army.

Fleeing from his pursuers, the hero assembles a band of endearing adventurers who believe he is actually the Luminary reborn. He and his newfound companions embark on a quest that will take them across continents and over vast oceans as they learn of an ominous threat facing the world. "

EqNVtZi.jpg

Turn-Based Battles with a Modern Twist
"DRAGON QUEST XI’s turn-based battle system eases players into combat with an accessible experience that features mechanics simple enough for the novice but with enough depth to satisfy hardcore fans.The heroes have a mix of melee & magic attacks at their disposal; use these wisely to ensure victory!Freshen up your squad with an occasional substitution, and try to find the perfect combination to take down particularly tricky monsters."

Side Quests
"Take a break from the main story to undertake some of the many side quests available in DQXI.Your Quest Catalogue will be your guide to browsing completed quests and those still underway.Be a hero, help those in need, and be rewarded in kind for your efforts!"
Pep System
"When a character gets pepped up, they'll gain bonuses to several of their attributes. Don't rush to use your pep powers straight away, or those beautiful bonuses will go to waste!When more than one party member is pepped up, they can work together to unleash incredible collaborative attacks known as pep powers."
Free-Form Fighting
"If you set the Battle Mode to Free-Form Fighting, you'll be able to move the camera during battles, and position your party members where you please when it's their turn to act.Spells, abilities and attacks won't be affected by where the user is standing, so feel free to place people wherever you think looks best!"
Classic Camera
"The only thing you'll have to worry about in battle is picking the right spells and abilities, as the camera will take care of itself.And don't worry—your attacks won't do any more or less damage than in Free-Form Fighting mode, so your combat capabilities aren't affected."
Character Builder
"The Character Builder is where you can use skill points to teach your party members new spells and abilities, and also improve their attributes.When you unlock a particular panel, the ones surrounding it will become available, expanding your options ever further.Think carefully about what to unlock when, and work your way toward the ultimate abilities!"
Camping
"No adventure would be complete without a night or two spent sleeping under the stars.Camping will allow your party to recover all their HP and MP just as a stay at an inn would, but for the fabulous price of free!You can also record your progress by praying at a sacred statue, and some campsites even have their own merchants."

OnLhGMd.jpg

w0GuNqt.jpg

The Mysterious Old Man
Rab
"An old gentleman swathed in mystery. Shouldering a large back pack, he appears to be nothing but a simple traveller, but when battle beckons he wields high level magic and ferocious martial arts skills. "

The Laid-Back Healer
Serena
"A dependable healer who supports the party with recovery magic. Serena is calm, unhurried and compassionate, but also slightly hapless. She often causes worry for her companion Veronica. "

The Noble Martial Artist
Jade
"An expert martial artist who travels the world with Rab to fulfil a mysterious goal.Her flashing kicks boast an unequalled power, but her elegant beauty and dignified demeanor hint that she is more than just a skilled fighter…"

The Destined Hero
You
"A young man raised in the sleepy village of Cobblestone. Upon participating in the village's coming-of-age ceremony, he learns a surprising truth: he is the reincarnation of the legendary "Luminary" - a hero who saved the world in ages past - and has a grand destiny awaiting him... Eager to find out for himself what the Luminary really is and what his destiny means, the young man leaves his village behind and sets out into the wider world. "

The Reliable Partner-in-Crime
Erik
"A blue-haired thief who abandons his lucrative life of crime to team up with the hero. Although a little wild and rough mannered, Erik is a loyal and compassionate friend. As a seasoned traveller, he guides the hero and supports him along his way. "

The Fearless Young Mage
Veronika
"A gifted young girl who wields powerful offensive spells. Fearless and a bit of a tomboy, she will stand up to anyone, be they an adult or even a fearsome monster. Much more mature than her appearance would suggest, Veronica loathes being treated like a child. "

The Entertainer Extraordinaire
Sylvando
"A travelling performer with a free spirit. Always cheery and positive, he is the mood maker of the group. Sylvando puts the skills he learned as a travelling entertainer to good use, expertly wielding a wide variety of weapons and abilities. His dream is to bring a smile to the faces of people all around the world with his art. "

Y3yYcyY.jpg

The game is set in the fantasy world of Erdrea where it's said that The Great Tree of Life was the source for all life in it, a gigantic tree in a floating island in the middle of the world.

rrsPYz7.jpg

cLZtVGm.jpg

Western Version Updates

*English Voiceovers
*Draconian Quest (hard mode)
*Overhauled Menus &UI
*Camera Mode
*A New Dash Function
And many other system enhancements such as improved character and camera movement.

FAQs

-I have never played any Dragon Quest game.Can i start with this one?
Definitely!DQXI is considered as a great entry point to the series.

-Will this game have any DLC or microtransactions?
No.The series director confirmed that in an interview.

-Hey the art style looks familiar!
Maybe it reminds you of Dragon Ball?Both series share the same character artist Akira Toriyama.

-Is this game Open-World?
Yes and no.

-I heard there was a Switch version...
There is but it's still in development.All we know is that "it's progressing smoothly" and according to Yuji Horii we may learn more about it at TGS 2018.

-What about the 3DS version?
They haven't officialy said "no" but it isn't very likely.

Thanks to member Rock And Roll for providing the thread's title!​

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Amazing work

Tuesday can't come soon enough!

RAREtrash

Neo Member
So excited, persona 5 didn't quite scratch that jrpg itch, all signs are pointing to this doing exactly that!

Hurry up Tuesday!!

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
So excited, persona 5 didn't quite scratch that jrpg itch, all signs are pointing to this doing exactly that!

Hurry up Tuesday!!
I LOVE Persona 5 but both SMT/Persona series are at heart dungeon crawler more than traditional JRPG. Both DQXI and Octopath will definitely will scratch that JRPG itch.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

Hurry up Tuesday!!
Man i was so disappointed in that game the artstyle was amazing .
But man that high school drama no ty

gioGAF

Awesome OT! Thanks for all of your work / effort in putting this together. Just one more day, I look forward to sharing this experience with everyone here :)

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Hero and Jade are a given for me but don't know who my other 2 endgame party members will be. Guess I'll have to wait and see which characters I like.

Shouta

I wonder why they changed Martina's name to Jade. I get the other name changes but that one didn't seem like it was a necessary one. :unsure:

Isa

Well done on the OT! I'm interested in trying out both camera modes. I think I may stick with Free Form but Classic is super tempting.

Vlaphor

I wonder why they changed Martina's name to Jade. I get the other name changes but that one didn't seem like it was a necessary one. :unsure:

I guess it kinda works. She doesn't really strike me as a Martina, but definitely works as a Jade. Maybe her name is meant to sound mysterious and foreign, so she's Martina in Japan and Jade in the West.

Similar to the way Terra from Final Fantasy VI is called Tina in Japan.

Either way, she's on my team full time, even if the situation doesn't call for it. If they're updating Dragon Quest, I'm glad they brought along a new Jessica Albert as well.

9F6tVR1.jpg

Shouta

I guess it kinda works. She doesn't really strike me as a Martina, but definitely works as a Jade. Maybe her name is meant to sound mysterious and foreign, so she's Martina in Japan and Jade in the West.

Similar to the way Terra from Final Fantasy VI is called Tina in Japan.

Either way, she's on my team full time, even if the situation doesn't call for it. If they're updating Dragon Quest, I'm glad they brought along a new Jessica Albert as well.

She only strikes me as a Jade because her design is slightly Asian looking, relatively speaking. Martina makes sense in the story though.

sublimit

Banned
Couple things I want to ask.

Is there a day/night cycle?

What about weather? Does it rain/snow?
I'm sure there's a day/night cycle and i also think there's rain but i'm not sure if rain affects the gameplay in any way. There are some people here who've played and finished the Japanese version so i hope they can give a more clear answer as i'm also curious about it.

gioGAF

Jade is so on my permanent roster! Not sure if the following is considered a spoiler, but just in case:
Does anyone know if this game has recruitable enemies (kind of like the Pokemon mechanic is DQ8)?
I loved that part, and I was hoping it was still a thing here.

Last edited:

Vlaphor

She only strikes me as a Jade because her design is slightly Asian looking, relatively speaking. Martina makes sense in the story though.

Having virtually no information about the story I can't say for sure, but if I had to come up with a name for an Asian-looking woman in a green outfit, it'd probably be Jade.

sublimit

Banned
Jade is so on my permanent roster! Not sure if the following is considered a spoiler, but just in case:
Does anyone know if this game has recruitable enemies (kind of like the Pokemon mechanic is DQ8)?
I loved that part, and I was hoping it was still a thing here.
I know that
you can use enemies for transport.

RAREtrash

Neo Member
I LOVE Persona 5 but both SMT/Persona series are at heart dungeon crawler more than traditional JRPG. Both DQXI and Octopath will definitely will scratch that JRPG itch.

Yeah my terminology was broad, I love persona 3, and 5 just didn't live up to it. I hope they do a special version like they did with the other personas though because I'd pick it up and be willing to give it another chance.

120v

all downloaded and ready to go. what a treat for SE to make this available on labor day

yeah, i know

DonF

I have a 20% off discount ...but that box looks awesome. Also I love the convenience of digital. Oh.. decisions decisions.

Last edited:

Drac84

Great OT. Really want to play this (will be my first DQ game), but with Spiderman and RDR2 I think this'll be a Christmas break game for me.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Great OT. Really want to play this (will be my first DQ game), but with Spiderman and RDR2 I think this'll be a Christmas break game for me.
I guess everyone has their own top priority. I'm actually skipping on Spider-Man because of Dragon Quest XI.

CatCouch

I cannot wait to play this in English. I did import this later last year and used google translate on my phone to play a good chunk of it (I'm quite happy that worked). Damn good game, it really is impressive!

Martina/Jade just makes my day! She's exactly why I love these games and I hope characters like her never go away~

sublimit

Banned
So according to the tracking info my CE entered my country yesterday so hopefully i may get it either today or tomorrow? I really hope they have sended it with an independent courier because the official post offices in my country are usually terrible...

GenericUser

Will visit my local electronics store tonight to see if I can get my copy early. Wish me luck guys.

Just found out, that the game won't support HDR. Thats a bummer, especially with graphics this colorful.

spectyre

This will be my first DQ game. I've always heard great things but I'm not a Nintendo fan so I never picked it up. I can't remember the last turn based RPG I've played.

Bigrx1

Banned
More hype currently than any game in years for me. There just is nothing like a DQ game - can't help but feel happy playing just a jolly game as Huber would say. Been WAY too long since DQVIII

Why can't life be like a good JRPG? Having powers, coming back to life, partying with chicks with huge boobs and thin waists. These games need more fucking between characters.

Last edited:

RPGCrazied

I heard the soundtrack in the CE has orchestrated versions of the game music? Seems like it could have a been a thing in game. Maybe they should have used those for big story moments or whatever. Doesn't really bother me though.

Top Bottom