• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest XI:Echoes of an Elusive Age |OT| This One Goes To XI

EDMIX

I just hope DQXI shows SE that they don't have make their game westernize and people here like Japanese style RPG. This might lead SE to make FF16 more of traditional JRPG instead of hybrid between WRPG and JRPG in FF15.

Well FFXV was very much like the past ones in terms of design.

Open world, vehicles, towns, futuristic etc

DQ isn't going to change what they do with OTHER FF titles as DQ clearly isn't going to move FFXV numbers. I don't even see much in terms of WRPG in FFXV to be honest. It being action based doesn't mean that is westernized you know. So DQ and other series they'll likely do the traditional old school turned based stuff, but I don't see them doing that with any new FF game that isn't a side game or spin off or something ala Bravely Default. (would LOVE for that to get the World Of Final Fantasy treatment btw)

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Well FFXV was very much like the past ones in terms of design.

Open world, vehicles, towns, futuristic etc

DQ isn't going to change what they do with OTHER FF titles as DQ clearly isn't going to move FFXV numbers. I don't even see much in terms of WRPG in FFXV to be honest. It being action based doesn't mean that is westernized you know. So DQ and other series they'll likely do the traditional old school turned based stuff, but I don't see them doing that with any new FF game that isn't a side game or spin off or something ala Bravely Default. (would LOVE for that to get the World Of Final Fantasy treatment btw)
I would say world design structure is very much WRPG influence. I mean in FFXV you don't visit that many towns or cites like you do most JRPG.

Last edited:
Almost 9 hours in, is there any way to coordinate pep powers? There's that quest where the guy wants you to use wild side but I can't get Hero, Erik and Serena prepped up at the same time.

Danjin44

Almost 9 hours in, is there any way to coordinate pep powers? There's that quest where the guy wants you to use wild side but I can't get Hero, Erik and Serena prepped up at the same time.
I'm not sure myself but I heard it depends how much damage the character takes or gives.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I would say world design structure is very much WRPG influence. I mean in FFXV you don't visit that many towns or cites like you do most JRPG.

Heh I think that was just a failing of that particular game rather than it trying to be Western. Plenty of Western RPGs have compelling locales to visit and shop, talk, do quests, explore for treasure. Fallout 2, Vampire the Masquerade, Mass Effect, Witcher 3., e.t.c.

Look at FFXIII which had barely any places to talk to NPCs much less a single town. That game was as japanese as they come.

DQXI has been very strong in this regard :messenger_bicep:

Shouta

If you get someone prepped, you can put them in the back-line and they'll maintain it until you bring them out again. Get it for two and then swap them out and when you get the last one, swap them in and do the skill.

Danjin44

Heh I think that was just a failing of that particular game rather than it trying to be Western. Plenty of Western RPGs have compelling locales to visit and shop, talk, do quests, explore for treasure. Fallout 2, Vampire the Masquerade, Mass Effect, Witcher 3., e.t.c.

Look at FFXIII which had barely any places to talk to NPCs much less a single town. That game was as japanese as they come.

You might be right about that, but I still think with FFXV SE was trying to be appeal more to western audience and this also true with FF7Remake.

EDMIX

FF has been open world before, like....the first game. FFX and FFXIII go to a more linear path, but open world is at the core concept of the older Final Fantasy games. Even if you want to say "world design structure" in terms of 3D or NPCs etc, that is a exteremly moot point as why would it ever help them to ignore what modern game design has brought to open world games when FF series is MOSTLY open world designs? If anything, what exactly, specifically are you talking about?

You don't go in as many towns or cites as I'd like, but you still do go to them, no specific number is needed in towns to be a "JRPG". I mean for gods sakes Persona you are basically in the same city and that very much is a JRPG. So I've never heard of some specific number being needed to qualify as a JRPG or not in terms of towns. Simply means FFXV doesn't have a lot of em lol

EDMIX

AGREED THANK YOU! I have zero clue why someone would think THAT is based solely on western design, yet ignore the original Final Fantasies that are open world, with towns, NPCs, vehicles etc.

What is being talked about is actually just the progression of natural game design, nothing to do with WRPG vs JRPG.

Danjin44

You don't go in as many towns or cites as I'd like, but you still do go to them, no specific number is needed in towns to be a "JRPG". I mean for gods sakes Persona you are basically in the same city and that very much is a JRPG. So I've never heard of some specific number being needed to qualify as a JRPG or not in terms of towns. Simply means FFXV doesn't have a lot of em lol
I would say both Persona and SMT at core are much more dungeon crawler than your traditional JRPG.
Based on what? Be specific please.
Well for one FF7 is most famous turn based RPG and now turn in to action RPG with character models looking far more realistic.

Last edited:

EDMIX

I would say both Persona and SMT at core are much more dungeon crawler than your traditional JRPG.

Well for one FF7 is most famous turn based RPG and now turn in to action RPG with character models looking far more realistic.

Ok...Persona is still a JRPG...

Action RPG doesn't mean its not JRPG. None of those things point to some exclusive western concept in terms of design. We haven't even seen enough of the combat to even know if its full on action or some hybrid, but turn based vs action doesn't make it not a JRPG or anything like that. The way the character models look is irrelevant too as that also has NOTHING to do with JRPG. The models look how the artist likely always wanted them to look like anyway.

Danjin44

Action RPG doesn't mean its not JRPG. None of those things point to some exclusive western concept in terms of design. We haven't even seen enough of the combat to even know if its full on action or some hybrid, but turn based vs action doesn't make it not a JRPG or anything like that. The way the character models look is irrelevant too as that also has NOTHING to do with JRPG. The models look how the artist likely always wanted them to look like anyway.
You are right about that but I still think that by turning FF7Remake to more action RPG they trying to appeal more to western audience. I'm sorry but FF7 so called "remake" is looking more like reboot at this point.

Last edited:

hecatomb

Banned
The girls in green actually give you puff puff. The screen goes black.

Also why can't I use custom music? The OST is no bueno.
I only found a couple girls that give puff puffs. One asks you for one and you find out she wasn't the one who gave it to you. Found other one in the sky prison, she also doesn't give it to you.

Last edited:

hecatomb

Banned
A lot of that also had to do with JRPGs being at their height, so unless they have a time machine you are asking them to re-create something they very much can't. With the current FF games, they are pretty Japanese lol So I don't know about "westernise"

Not the first time they had a futuristic FF
Open world FF etc
Not really they could just use the same combat, no one asked for a action rpg.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
They already do a few AAA classic concepts, World Of Final Fantasy being one of them, so I think this game doing well will have them continue putting out games like World Of Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Octopath etc (and their AA stuff like Lost Sphere and I Am Setsuna)
How is WOFF? Is it worth playing even if I couldn't stand the voice acting in the demo?

EDMIX

You are right about that but I still think that by turning FF7Remake to more action RPG they trying to appeal more to western audience. I'm sorry but FF7 so called "remake" is looking more like reboot at this point.

huh? lol ok then but file that under some theory cause being action doesn't mean its looking to appeal to the "western audience" as many JRPGs exist that are action based. FF7 being remade also means they are redoing concepts they clearly couldn't do originally. That doesn't make it less of a JRPG as JRPG doesn't solely mean non-turned based.

Example.

Kingdom Hearts is a JRPG... its very much action based.

If Square made FF with the gameplay of KH, ohhhhhh they are seeking the west? Huh? Buuuuut how do you know they are not seeking the gameplay of another JRPG like KH?

Wouldn't that then question EVERY JRPG in history that has had action in it as suppose to turned based? So I see this as a false equivalency as you are making seem as if action base = western RPG which imho is massive disrespect to both styles to boil it down to something like that. I don't remember a JRPG being defined as something solely based on non-movement and turned based etc.

EDMIX

How is WOFF? Is it worth playing even if I couldn't stand the voice acting in the demo?

lol Its really good, the beginning sorta drags but once it gets started, the gameplay is addicting! LOL the voice acting is pretty meh, but I've heard worse. If you love turned based games, its a great playthrough.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
lol Its really good, the beginning sorta drags but once it gets started, the gameplay is addicting! LOL the voice acting is pretty meh, but I've heard worse. If you love turned based games, its a great playthrough.
Thanks, I'll definitely give it a shot. I have a huge nostalgic spot for Final Fantasy as a whole, so I feel like I might be able to look past the voice acting just based on fan service alone.

EDMIX

Not really they could just use the same combat, no one asked for a action rpg.

Ok, they could use the same graphical engine too, but its called a remake for a reason. Having different combat doesn't make it any less of a JRPG and the sales of FFXV show otherwise of this "no one asked for" lol

I love the original, but I'm open to trying a different style. fyi the original in HD still exist if anyone wants to play it that way.

EDMIX

Thanks, I'll definitely give it a shot. I have a huge nostalgic spot for Final Fantasy as a whole, so I feel like I might be able to look past the voice acting just based on fan service alone.

Its a really fun game, I'm mad at myself for taking so long to play it after buying it as its a very solid JRPG. If you like that, also trying Bravely Default, I'm hoping Square puts that on home consoles and gives it the AAA treatment as that basically is the older FF concept simply with a different name.

Danjin44

huh? lol ok then but file that under some theory cause being action doesn't mean its looking to appeal to the "western audience" as many JRPGs exist that are action based. FF7 being remade also means they are redoing concepts they clearly couldn't do originally. That doesn't make it less of a JRPG as JRPG doesn't solely mean non-turned based.

Example.

Kingdom Hearts is a JRPG... its very much action based.

If Square made FF with the gameplay of KH, ohhhhhh they are seeking the west? Huh? Buuuuut how do you know they are not seeking the gameplay of another JRPG like KH?

Wouldn't that then question EVERY JRPG in history that has had action in it as suppose to turned based? So I see this as a false equivalency as you are making seem as if action base = western RPG which imho is massive disrespect to both styles to boil it down to something like that. I don't remember a JRPG being defined as something solely based on non-movement and turned based etc.
I agree that being action RPG it doesn't mean its not JRPG, we Star Ocean series which always been action JRPG but FF7Remake suppose to be "remake", I don't mind improving turn based combat but not in to the idea completely changing entire combat system because at that point it no longer can be considered remake but a reboot instead.

My point is about FF7 remake, is they turn in to action JRPG because most western audience prefer that over turn based like the original FF7.

Last edited:

EDMIX

I agree that being action RPG it doesn't mean its not JRPG, we Star Ocean series which always been action JRPG but FF7Remake suppose to be "remake", I don't mind improving turn based combat but not in to the idea completely changing entire combat system because at that point it no longer can be considered remake but a reboot instead.

Ok, but a remake is still to RE- MAKE IT. So you are arguing semantics to be honest. It would be like saying a bench in one of the parks in FFVII now has more benches, thus not a remake when remaking it also clearly includes those liberties that artist have to obviously RE-MAKE IT how they feel just.

It would be like saying Resident Evil 2's remake must not be one because its not fixed camera, sooooo we just ignoring the actual term to "remake"?

That still includes obvious changes based on what the artist want. So FFVII having a more action based combat system very much can still have it be a remake, as that term doesn't mean its going to be the same verbatim of the last one

Danjin44

Ok, but a remake is still to RE- MAKE IT. So you are arguing semantics to be honest. It would be like saying a bench in one of the parks in FFVII now has more benches, thus not a remake when remaking it also clearly includes those liberties that artist have to obviously RE-MAKE IT how they feel just.

It would be like saying Resident Evil 2's remake must not be one because its not fixed camera, sooooo we just ignoring the actual term to "remake"?

That still includes obvious changes based on what the artist want. So FFVII having a more action based combat system very much can still have it be a remake, as that term doesn't mean its going to be the same verbatim of the last one
I guess agree to disagree but I personally don't like the direction FF7Remake is going and also don't like the visuals because it seems they going for more of Advent Children or kingsglaive aesthetics which I personally not big fan of.

EDMIX

I guess agree to disagree but I personally don't like the direction FF7Remake is going and also don't like the visuals because it seems they going for more of Advent Children or kingsglaive aesthetics which I personally not big fan of.

I always loved how Advent Children looked and imagined that is what the team wanted for Final Fantasy VII if they could really make it look like that when they first made it. I'd be ok with both gameplay styles as it would be cool if they just had a version that was turned based like the original, simply different visuals. (who knows, they might end up doing it in the future with a port team like Bluepoint)

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I only found a couple girls that give puff puffs. One asks you for one and you find out she wasn't the one who gave it to you. Found other one in the sky prison, she also doesn't give it to you.
Found 3 actual puff puffs so far

Also press F for Mermaid chan

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Its a really fun game, I'm mad at myself for taking so long to play it after buying it as its a very solid JRPG. If you like that, also trying Bravely Default, I'm hoping Square puts that on home consoles and gives it the AAA treatment as that basically is the older FF concept simply with a different name.
I loved what I played of the first BD. Never finished it though.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
The Japanese voice acting is good. Too bad ONLY the day one edition had codes and you can't buy said dlc on the sony store.

Tama is best girl.

TFGB

Don’t worry about doing that quest until later in the game, where you have access to items that can instantly put single characters or the whole team into pep mode.

I try to do the quests as I encounter them, and I did the quest you mention early on, but I spent nearly an hour trying to sync the 3 characters’ pep mode!

It also seems that, as the game progresses, the characters enter Pep mode more frequently. Whether that’s to do with story progression, enemy type/level or character level I’m not sure though.

TFGB

Regarding the voice acting I, yet again, love what Side UK have done with it. In the same vein as their previous work on Ni No Kuni I & II, DQ VII and the DQ Heroes games.

The (sometimes) exaggerated British regional dialects make a welcome change from every other game, and are Side’s signature style. At times they remind me of the old Ealing comedies and Carry On films. :messenger_smiling:

Last edited:

RPGCrazied

Finally got another costume, for Erik, and goodness it blows his starting outfit out of the water! Now if I can just get one for the hero and Slyvando.

25 hours in,
and 2 orbs left
to find. I hope not
after the orb hunt means its
the end of the game.

bigedole

Finally got another costume, for Erik, and goodness it blows his starting outfit out of the water! Now if I can just get one for the hero and Slyvando.

25 hours in,
and 2 orbs left
to find. I hope not
after the orb hunt means its
the end of the game.

How are you guys so fast haha. I'm at 27 hours now and I just got to the Warrior's Rest Inn, don't even have a full party yet! I spent a lot of time in Puerto Valor though...

Vawn

Banned
I love Dragon Quest yet it always puts me to sleep. Literally. I get super sleepy playing this and the same thing occurred every time I've played these games in the past.

Is this odd?

sublimit

Banned
My backlog is only getting bigger. I have to rush, sadly. lol
I really don't want to tell you what you should or shouldn't do but games like Dragon Quest XI we only get once in 10 years maybe even more. It's a very rare and special experience IMO for someone who loves JRPGs to rush it. I think it would be better to "pause" and come back to it later than to rush through it.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
The voice acting is awesome. I love the accents.

Erik has a northeastern american accent too so its not just European.

Vawn

Banned
The voice acting is awesome. I love the accents.

Erik has a northeastern american accent too so its not just European.

I do too. I always prefer fantasy games like this to have characters with different accents, even if they obviously aren't original.

Just as long as they aren't Minnesota or Boston accents. Or southern. Ok... just no American accents at all. They all drive me crazy (and I'm American)

Pejo

Holy shit, just got a costume for the hero.
Full armor set like a knight would wear!
Yea this costume hasn't left my MC since I got it, stats be damned, it looks great. In general I'm not a fan of teen-Trunks 90's haircut main character's look, so any costume I get is an improvement. I wish they had a separate slot for equipping costumes so I could wear whatever and look how I want to. It's also jarring during certain cutscenes where it changes back to the default look.

Anyways, kept progressing last night, and wow,
That Yggdrasil scene and aftermath. Here I thought I was nearly done with the game.
I can't describe how happy I am with the purchase of this game. It's really everything I wanted in a JRPG for so long.

One question regarding quests -
I didn't go back and turn those quests in from the "greek" looking area before the Yggdrasil part, are those quests forever locked out for me now? I checked my quest list and they're gone, but a number of ??? quests popped up (some in between the existing quests) I'm a completionist to a degree, so that's going to drive me nuts if I can't finish them. The quests I'm referring to are the Wishteria seeds and the rare bulb enemy material

Thanks for the suggestions on the Wild Side quest. I just got Sylvando in my party so I think I can get Serena pepped up and then switch her out. Hero and Erik usually get pepped up at the same time so I should be able to do it.

On a side note just got to Gondolia and it's such an awesome town. HD Dragon Quest took way too long to happen but it has been worth the wait.

TFGB

One question regarding quests -
I didn't go back and turn those quests in from the "greek" looking area before the Yggdrasil part, are those quests forever locked out for me now? I checked my quest list and they're gone, but a number of ??? quests popped up (some in between the existing quests) I'm a completionist to a degree, so that's going to drive me nuts if I can't finish them. The quests I'm referring to are the Wishteria seeds and the rare bulb enemy material

According to a thread over on Playstation Trophies, nothing is missable, as everything is supposed to be available post game. :messenger_ok:

Danjin44

Anyone else enjoying the crafting in this game as much as I’m? It has simple mechanic but yet really fun and addicting.

Dunki

I just got my ship which is surprising since I never knew there is a world map to begin with sicne I have read in a review that there is no world map. So far this game is very fun but I must admit that I also struggled a bit with Stronger Enemies activated but only because I had not yet the Persecutter ability from Erik. This ability changed the whole game for me what a OP move^^

Top Bottom