• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest XI:Echoes of an Elusive Age |OT| This One Goes To XI

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Veronica is so sassy lol

KWuORBZl.jpg
That what makes me like her so much.:messenger_beaming:
It has definitely left me hungering to find another satisfying RPG experience since I finished it lol. What's on the horizon to look forward to fellas?
Well we have Kingdom Hearts III coming out soon but as far as turn based RPG goes we have SMTV but we don't have a proper date yet.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
whats this about the music? i heard there is a mod for orchestrated versions. tbh i really like the MIDI ones but i am curious. what is the mod to get?

CyberTRex

Neo Member
I gave in and bought the digital version on Friday. I can't believed I spent the time farming gold to buy the dancer's costume for Serena.

Neolombax

The game for me is progressively getting better and better. Almost dropped the game early on because I felt the pace was too slow. The cast and story is growing on me. Currently super invested in the plot.

whats this about the music? i heard there is a mod for orchestrated versions. tbh i really like the MIDI ones but i am curious. what is the mod to get?
Check the previous page. A poster (Odinnii) there very kindly linked it for me and it's very easy to do.

Last edited:
Finally got around to playing it. I just wanted to say that I absolutely love the armor that changes the appearance and that it's actually bundled in the game and not dlc.

Double props for having it represented in cutscenes to, Veronica in the cat suit is absolutely hilarious. Really dig the dainty outfit for Serena to.

gioGAF

I just finished my run with this game (Platinum Trophy). I really enjoyed the entire experience. This game came at just the right time for me, I was growing increasingly annoyed with the gaming industry and all of the cheap shit they keep doing. This game is really a throwback to a different era. A complete game with plenty of unlockables, side content, costumes, etc.

This game is designed to be played and enjoyed. The game play loop is fun and the game relies entirely on it. Not once did I feel like this game was disrespecting my time or doing something underhanded to get me to pay to skip some bullshit.

I would like to thank the people behind this game, it was just what I needed in an era of endless stupidity.

Erdrick

I absolutely loved the game. It exceeded my high expectations for it. Game of the year, for sure for me. I actually wanted to get home and play it while at work, something I haven't had an urge to do since I was a kid. The game was just so relaxing and satisfying. I beat it in a month and a half of playing non-stop almost (198 hours and the Platinum Trophy, which is something I rarely bother with.)

It's kind of made other games hard to go back to for me, as they lack the polish that DQ11 has in droves.

GenericUser

I have to emphasize all the praise this game got and still gets. After playing RDR2, I can safely say that DQ11 was the game I found to be the most entertaining videogame this year.

Everything blends together perfectly. The beautiful and immersive world, the excellent characters, the tried and true combat system, the story, the general gameplay and pacing - everything. In retrospect, it felt really satisfying to play a complete, well thought out game. An excellent example of videogame craftsmanship.

Danjin44

Amazon.uk says that it will be released on January 10? Anyway i just pre-ordered it! ^__^
I guess in Canada and US it got released in Dec 11. You wont be disappointed, its really good Art book but only thing that made sad is there is not much DQXI art in this book. I'm guessing the game was still in development when this book is being made.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
I guess in Canada and US it got released in Dec 11. You wont be disappointed, its really good Art book but only thing that made sad is there is not much DQXI art in this book. I'm guessing the game was still in development when this is being made.
Is it mostly character designs or does it also have environments as well?

Danjin44

Is it mostly character designs or does it also have environments as well?
I would say mostly Character designs and lots of monster designs and cover arts. I personally love monster designs in DQ series, I like them as much as I like SMT/Persona Demon designs.

Last edited:
Yesterday I got my copy of Dragon Quest art book from amazon and absolutely glorious.
Maybe a bit of a weird question, but how do you feel about the overall production values of the book, in terms of things like printing & paper quality, quality of the binding, and general feel of the product? I doubt I'll ever see one of these books out in the wild, and I'm trying to decide between this US release or just importing the Japanese equivilant (which, I'll admit, seems a bit nicer from a production standpoint).

Danjin44

Maybe a bit of a weird question, but how do you feel about the overall production values of the book, in terms of things like printing & paper quality, quality of the binding, and general feel of the product? I doubt I'll ever see one of these books out in the wild, and I'm trying to decide between this US release or just importing the Japanese equivilant (which, I'll admit, seems a bit nicer from a production standpoint).
I don't know how Japanese version looks like but I would say the paper quality and printing is pretty damn good for the US version. I'm not dissapointed, Viz did pretty good job in this one.

I don't know how Japanese version looks like but I would say the paper quality and printing is pretty damn good for the US version. I'm not dissapointed, Viz did pretty good job in this one.
Thanks. I'll take from your reply Viz's release doesn't feel particularly cheap, which is a problem I tend to find with many U.S. editions of Japanese art books.

PSFan

I was thinking of her just as a Smart Ass girl never crossed my mind anything but that

Lolli still disturbing hahaha

She is Serena's twin sister who is under a curse that reverse aged her body to that of a little girl. She's a smart ass because she's pissed about it.

For those interested, Square Enix is streaming their stage events from Jump Festa 2019. In about a hour (9pm PST / 12am EST), they're going to have a presentation on the Switch version of DQXI.

The stream can be viewed on YouTube:

Andyliini

They just showed some footage of the Switch version. It's coming out in Japan sometime in 2019. I have seen some translations claiming it has content not in PS4 version, and that it has been built ground up for the Switch instead of porting from PS4, but I don't know it those translations are accurate. It looks to be similar to PS4 version from the footage.

Maybe not surprisingly, as this wasn't a Square Enix event, no in-depth information was provided on the game; instead, most of the presentation was devoted to chatting with the new Japanese voice actresses for Jade and Veronica. Square Enix are promising more info/a surprise, during a game-related stream on January 1.

They did show a trailer, which does appear to be based on the Switch build of the game:

The below comparison images are also floating around the web.

Switch

14V0TW1.jpg

Playstation 4
WIy56yw.jpg

DonF

. I have seen some translations claiming it has content not in PS4 version
And I was praising this game the other day for been released complete and with no dlc.

This means it will have dlc at best or I'll it will be exclusive to the switch at worst.

At this juncture, it's probably best not to worry too much about significant new content in the Switch release, although we already know one big difference. Keep in mind when talking to a Japanese audience, voices are actually new content, and we can probably assume they'll be improvements like the ability to run, which was added to the Western PS4 release and never patched into the Japanese version.

That said, it was announced...
...you'd be able to choose who to live with at the end of the game.

Last edited:

Danjin44

I already know I am going to - this will be great to have when I’m traveling.
Yeah, I love playing big RPG like DQXI both on TV and handheld which makes me wish Persona 5 would also come to switch as well but at least Switch is getting SMTV.

Last edited:
Just got Serena's holy outfit and holy crap that alternate appearance is gorgeous.

Yeah, I love playing big RPG like DQXI both on TV and handheld which makes me wish Persona 5 would also come to switch as well but at least Switch is getting SMTV.

I was hoping that maybe SE and Nintendo would do a DQ VIII port as well for the switch (the 3DS text is a bit rough on my eyes). However I wouldn't be surprised if we see a full scale Persona 3 remake in the style of Persona 5. The character models are already done in Persona 3 dancing which just came out and I really doubt they would go through the trouble of making those new character models just for a dancing game.

However I wouldn't be surprised if SE is going to have to make some serious compromises for the DQXI switch port. The game is not as visually simplistic as people think and it gives both the PS4 pro and vanilla some issues.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Oh, nice to see the teaser had some in-game stuff, I thought it was mostly pre-rendered cut scenes since it looked so nice. Other than texture and overall rendering resolution being lower I notice some of the geometry being simplified (that thing behind the character to the right is more angular on Switch for example) and the reflections are obviously far simpler, possibly the overall lighting too but that might just be that it's no longer reflected accurately by all the shiny objects in that one scene. The rest seem spot-on, including that depth of field effect in that shot. UE keeps delivering for Switch. I wonder what's new.

Last edited:
Top Bottom