• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an elusive age Review Thread

hecatomb

Banned
Oh God i just can't stand HappyConsoleGamer. -_- I used to be a subscriber until i realized how shallow his content was. Lots of bragging about how big a fan he is of everything he likes and never criticizes anything negatively.
He has, he has a video about games he doesn't like, but his whole thing is to be a happy gamer, cause thats James thing to be a angry gamer.

Elite 2020

Neo Member
I am knee deep In Dragon Quest Builders on PS4. Just so you all know. It is amazing and I truly recommend it to any DQ fan. You will be blown away. These reviews look stellar and release cant come fast enough. Bravo!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Really looking forward to this game. Just one more week (and a few days)!

sublimit

Banned
I am knee deep In Dragon Quest Builders on PS4. Just so you all know. It is amazing and I truly recommend it to any DQ fan. You will be blown away. These reviews look stellar and release cant come fast enough. Bravo!
Yup DQ Builders was great. I still need to get back to it and finish the final chapter though.

Halo0629

Nice reviews and I really want to play this game, but sadly with yakuza 2 and spiderman right around the corner I don't really have that much extra time for this game.

Tarkus98

I’m really looking forward to this game. It’s been far too long since I have played a classic good old turn based JRPG. I unfortunately don’t have a Switch (yet) so I missed out on Octo and just wasn’t into NiNo so this has been greatly anticipated by me. The graphics/scenery looks incredible and the fact that it is being favorably compared to VIII is just icing on a really great double chocolate cake. Saying I can’t wait to play it is just an understatement at this point.

Hudo

Music is extremely important to me. I can't deal with this midi stuff even though I won't say it doesn't have any charm.

If it wasn't for the music I likely would have never gotten through Octopath.
Well, since there is a PC version, modders might find a way to include the orchestral music (sold seperately) into the game.

GamesAreFun

Banned
Not having orchestra music doesn't mean its broken or unplayable.
MIDI music is a huge letdown for a big budget title. Ni no Kuni sounded superb using an Orchestra, then one returns to the bleeps and bloops of Dragon Quest and it's like playing on a Gameboy in the 90s.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
MIDI music is a huge letdown for a big budget title. Ni no Kuni sounded superb using an Orchestra, then one returns to the bleeps and bloops of Dragon Quest and it's like playing on a Gameboy in the 90s.
I like Orchestra music as much as the next guy but I'm not going to miss out on the game that I have been waiting for years just for that.

Andyliini

Game looks great from these reviews. Great to see some great new JRPGs releasing previous year and this, hopefully even more are on the way. However, I'm so busy right now that I have barely time to play games anymore. So, I'll skip the PS4 version for now and see if Square-Enix actually delivers on the Switch version, and how much do they have to compromise the game for it to run on Switch.

Bigrx1

Banned
I'm stoked, this is going to be great. When the most negative reviews seem to mainly cite the "lack of innovation" as the main negative I'm all in. I'm about sick of "innovation" making games less fun and want an old school traditional jrpg

sublimit

Banned
I was unsure if i'd get the regular or the collector's edition but i finally pre-ordered the CE. Now i only hope it doesn't take too long from the shitty SE store to send it to my country. I had to pay an extra 24€ just for the shipping costs so they better be fast.

Ar¢tos

I have to finish Yoku's Island and Uncharted 4 before I can buy any other game, but I added it to the wishlist. :(
And it might take a while, in 2 weeks I managed to force myself to reach chapter 4 of uc4... Taking a nap or watching TV seem like more rewarding activities than uc4.

-MD-

I'm burning through the back half of Dark Cloud 2 before this comes out otherwise I'll never finish it.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
This will be my first DQ game since the nes. Cunt wait.

bigedole

I don't think I've been this excited about a game since Persona 5 now... I actually sat through almost the entire Kotaku video review despite my disdain for the outlet. Hearing long-time die hard fans of the series gushing about the game is infectious and it's really hard to find any negativity about it that isn't about the music or otherwise due to a reviewer's silly expectations. Turn-based RPGs are basically the reason I play video games, even if I have branched out pretty far since then. It'll always be the home I want to come back to.

My body is ready for the evening of Sept 3rd! Now if Falcom could just announce ToCS 3 or a 1+2 collection for PS4....

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Its cause waiting is a cunt

or time

fuck you time

Last edited by a moderator:

RavageX

I hadn't planned on getting this, but looks like I'll have to, nothing that I've seen looks like I won't like it. (don't give a damn if reviewers like it or not)

I hadn't planned on getting this, but looks like I'll have to, nothing that I've seen looks like I won't like it. (don't give a damn if reviewers like it or not)

Dragons Quest games (whether it's mainline, builders, heroes) are like wrapping yourself in a warm blanket and enjoying a bowl of soup on a snowy day. Y'all know what I mean.

Pejo

Could never get into the DQ series after the first one, but I'm ready to try again. Glad it's reviewing well!

DonF

Could never get into the DQ series after the first one, but I'm ready to try again. Glad it's reviewing well!
The series has come a long way, my friend! I personally couldn't get into the series, I tried VII and the text based battles turned me off. Since VIII its a beautiful game, turn based battles with lovely animations, blissful music and effects, and the same slimes! I love it. Can't wait.
If you like traditional turn based rpg, then this is a game you have to keep an eye on.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm pretty excited about trying this. Never played one before except Builders and that DW clone.

Final Fantasy? /s

Last edited:

hecatomb

Banned
Dragon quest was before final fantasy, fun fact, the people who worked on Dragon quest 1 some of them left, and a year later final fantasy came out. So I guess without dragon quest there would have been no final fantasy. Also dragon quest is huge in Japan, DQ7 even out sold FF7.

orborborb

the kotaku video review is extremely informed and balanced, and I thought it was pretty funny too, don't avoid it because the author reveals once or twice some opinions you might disagree with about masculinity when the game itself decides to bring up that issue, or because the reviewer explains his personal history with the series.

don't avoid it because the author reveals once or twice some opinions you might disagree with about masculinity when the game itself decides to bring up that issue
People should avoid the Kotaku review because it's horribly written and takes half of the 5000+ word review to eventually talk about the actual game they're reviewing. Not because of some masculinity bullshit that literally no one has brought up prior to you. :pie_eyeroll:

hecatomb

Banned
You also shouldn't limit yourself to only 1 reviewer also. You should try to watch as many reviews as you can for games.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
They threw Microsoft a bone with Nier Automata, though that was over a year after the PS4/PC versions launched and the XB1 version is digital-only.
Well it did make sense to bring NieR Automata to xbox because the original NIER did came to xbox same time as PS3 version. I'm more surprised it didn't happen sooner.

alphaproto

Neo Member
Very happy to see excellent scores on most ends. I only recently got into the series, but this will be a day one purchase for me.

Vlaphor

Can't wait for this. I even sped through God Of War just I'd have time for DQ11

Also

7eZewhn.gif

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
It is. I think MS has a mandate that if other platforms have a physical version, then the XB1 must have one too, so this is an exception.

Well, hopefully that's a sign Microsoft is dropping some of those dumb mandates that result in fewer games for their players.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
It is. I think MS has a mandate that if other platforms have a physical version, then the XB1 must have one too, so this is an exception.
The mandate they have is that for a game to get a physical release on XB1 it needs to have a minimum amount of discs printed. Which is why Dead Cells and Nier don't have a physical version available on XB1.

Typical IGN review, old rpg combat, 8 out of 10. Pokemon still using old rpg combat lets give every Pokemon game a 9 out of 10.

I know, right? And to rub it in even further, we've missed out on lots of spinoffs.

People not deserving Dragon Quest shouldn't mean the rest of us have to suffer. At least I wish it didn't.

BTW, Fandom/wikia gave it a 3/5, though I take it they're of questionable repute.

Top Bottom