• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest XI introduces new Skill Panel system

Since we can't post scans you'll have to find them on your own if you want to see pictures. Thanks for translating!

The latest issue of Weekly Jump reveals a new “Skill Panel” system for Dragon Quest XI: In Search of Departed Time.

The Skill Panel is a new system by which the characters of Dragon Quest XI can grow. The Skill Panel is lined up with unique skills for each character. By using “Skill Points,” which are acquired through methods such as leveling up, and unlocking panels, you can learn new skills. You’ll start from the middle of the Skill Panel and can use skill points to learn skills while unlocking adjacent panels. There are also “?” panels that will be unlocked by opening surrounding panels. The shape of the Skill Panel is different for each character.

Here’s an example of some of the unique skills you can learn using the Skill Panel:

Protagonist: “Giga Slash” – Mow down the enemy using a lightning blade in a skill exclusive to a hero.
Camus: “Steal” – Get items from monsters.
Veronica: “Magical Awakening” – Increases the power of spells.
Senya: “Melody of Fire” – Puts on a flame of protection.
Silvia: “Flute of Fascination” – Charms monsters with the sound of a flute.
Martina: “Vacuum Kick” – Hits the enemy with a powerful kick.
Row: “Aesthetic Enlightenment” – Attains enlightenment and increases spell effects.

Another new system will be introduced in the issue of Weekly Jump that follows this one.

aadiboy

Tbf, DQ fans are used to really simple systems so they might not be familiar with the sphere grid or license board.

TrutaS

I wonder if it will have a job system and if so how that will play up with the skill tree, since in past games skills are tied to jobs.

Garou

A magazine is a paid product, so posting non-marketing material can technically be considered pirating.

It's fishy anyway since the issue where this information comes from isn't on sale until Monday, so it is hard to believe that it was acquired legally.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Sounds good - can't wait for this one.

It's fishy anyway since the issue where this information comes from isn't on sale until Monday, so it is hard to believe that it was acquired legally.
You cant stop information once it's out... How it got recieved doesn't matter once it hits the net.

Waji

I don't see why people are talking about sphere grid so fast.
It's like everyone forgot about any basic skill trees which are the same.
Is there anything in the news that says there so much choices/paths that it has to be like the sphere grid ?

If you can actually see the different panels and skill properties before unlocking them, I will be fine with this. One of the worst things about DQ8's system was investing limited skill points without really knowing what you were getting out of it. The DQ9 version was a bit friendlier because you could always dip into another vocation to collect more skill points.

kromeo

If you can actually see the different panels and skill properties before unlocking them, I will be fine with this. One of the worst things about DQ8's system was investing limited skill points without really knowing what you were getting out of it. The DQ9 version was a bit friendlier because you could always dip into another vocation to collect more skill points.

They fixed that in the 3DS version luckily, it shows you all the skills you can unlock

Arkeband

Banned
Sounds like Dragon Quest Heroes's UI more than a sphere grid.

Dragon%2BQuest%2BHeroes%2BSkills%2Btrees.bmp

Aeana

This looks basically the same as Digital Devil Saga 2's mantra system.

fCxax41.jpg

We've seen something that looks like Dharma Temple/Alltrades Abbey in a couple of screenshots. I wonder if that's what it is, and if so, what role it plays in the game. Based on the scan, it doesn't seem like there is any additional class system, but the text in the screenshots is too fuzzy to read clearly regardless.

Meh. I just don't trust Square to make any changes to the formula that are an improvement. I'll be buying this regardless though so i guess whatever.

Hoping it has the board game design from past DQ games.

Also great to see more details surfacing. Pretty torn tho whether I should buy both 3DS and Switch versions.

Wereroku

fCxax41.jpg

We've seen something that looks like Dharma Temple/Alltrades Abbey in a couple of screenshots. I wonder if that's what it is, and if so, what role it plays in the game. Based on the scan, it doesn't seem like there is any additional class system, but the text in the screenshots is too fuzzy to read clearly regardless.

Of all the games getting HD remasters I wish DDS1 and 2 would get one. I really enjoy that game but I hate having to dig my systems out to play it.

Aeana

Are there DQ fans who are unfamiliar with Final Fantasy? I highly doubt that...
Unfamiliar with as in never heard of? Probably not very many. Unfamiliar with more recent games in the series? Sure, considering that DQ has a huge fanbase of older people who probably don't play many other games anymore.

fCxax41.jpg

That's a pretty apt comparison considering that the difference between DDS1 and DDS2's system is probably similar to the difference between this and the typical DQ8/9/10 skill point system. It's basically taking the same base and just putting a graphical grid representation to make it a bit more fun and involved. It probably won't actually change that much about how the whole thing works.

Tbf, DQ fans are used to really simple systems so they might not be familiar with the sphere grid or license board.

The class systems in DQ are hardly what I'd call simple, especially the one in the original version of DQVII. Of course there are some games in the series with really simple systems which is also fine.

This new system seems like the DQVIII skill point system but with maybe a bit more wiggle room and path building? At least that's what I'd hope. Haven't seen any scans yet.

TI82

Banned
Of all the games getting HD remasters I wish DDS1 and 2 would get one. I really enjoy that game but I hate having to dig my systems out to play it.

Oh man, I normally don't go crazy for remasters but SMT games for the PS4 or switch would be super. Especially DDS

Waji

It's so not the licence board. This thing was authorizing you to EQUIP weapons and gears one by one, not to mention everyone shared the same panels more or less.
But it's also most certainly not like the spehre grid either since it dictates the stats you get, level means nothing. And there's no ? spots. Everything is clearly established.

From what we see in the example and other gaffers are already saying this, it seems to mostly be a graphical representation of the skills like in DQ8, with probably more choice.

extralite

Are there DQ fans who are unfamiliar with Final Fantasy? I highly doubt that...

Weekly Jump has a broad readership but its target group is rather young, late elementary (5th/6th grade) to junior high. So some of their readers probably won't have played those older games.

It's also not a good idea to explain something as "it is like A" when there's always the chance that some of your readers won't have played A. Also, while the license board is close enough, sphere grid has some differences that need further explanation.

Rpgmonkey

The boards are smaller than I expected but I guess with this many characters -- and I assume they also learn several skills/spells through leveling like in DQVIII's leveling/skill tree system -- there's no need for any one character to have too much. I also assume you won't be interacting with it as much as the grids/boards Final Fantasy has used.

Either way I'm a sucker for grid/board-style development systems, I like having everything laid out and being able to carve a path through it. I'd probably put them right behind job systems as my favorite.

Aeana

My secret hope that the "new system" they're revealing next week is a class system on top of this skill panel system.

I like the class/skill/battle systems in my DQ to be simple. If there are going to be discussions and guides on "best builds" then they've gone too far for my tastes. We'll see how this works out.

My secret hope that the "new system" they're revealing next week is a class system on top of this skill panel system.

It would definitely work better with a class system to go with it for extra customisation. DQIX used the skill point system with a class system rather smartly, it's just too bad that the advanced classes were locked away behind ridiculous quests.

gblues

Banned
Kinda seems similar to FF12:Zodiac's license board, although without the stupid equipment unlocks.

I'm not holding my breath for a full-on class system. The character designs are reminiscent of DQ8 where each character's class is more-or-less set in stone (i.e. Jessica is never going to be a tank). But DQ8 proved that there can be quite a bit of flexibility, so that's not necessarily a bad thing.

I miss the Dharma Temple though. Alltrades Abbey is a downgrade.

Shouta

I'm pretty sure I recall Hori or someone at the recent presentation say the classes for all the characters were set to only one class this time around. It'd be neat if they had a new class system on top but I doubt it.

Psxphile

Strange how light these DQXI threads are when it's not about the graphics or whether it's coming to certain systems.

I like the class/skill/battle systems in my DQ to be simple. If there are going to be discussions and guides on "best builds" then they've gone too far for my tastes. We'll see how this works out.

At best it'll probably only let you learn some skills in a different order.

Basically imagine the 8 skill system instead of having to go from one specific skill to the next in order, you can choose which of those skills to learn first to some extent. Like, learning Miracle Slash before Falcon Slash or whatnot. Of course the more powerful ones will be located deeper in so I doubt you can just pick the really strong ones at first. In the hero's case, you have to learn Flame Slash first to unlock the sword skill grid and from there you have a choice of 3 skills to learn next.

Also the ? panels are kind of like the 100 skill point skills of the earlier games because it requires you to learn every single panel surrounding it first so you can't cheat the game by beelining it to those early(though each panel section appears to have 2 or 3 of these skills instead of just one). In the hero's case, the left side panel and the right side panel seem to meet at the top divided by a ? panel so you have to get that far in both side panels to learn that skill, for instance.

There's also a skill reset option at the church so presumably if you screw up you can always reset the grid.

Waji

So the only solution is to have each characters get their new attacks while levelling up, with absolutely no customisation.
Because every other system, whether it's job or light choice of skills with points, there will always be "builds".

I'm also not a big fan of these builds topic either, but when the customisation is well done, it's far better than none at all.

ethomaz

Banned
Sounds like Dragon Quest Heroes's UI more than a sphere grid.

Dragon%2BQuest%2BHeroes%2BSkills%2Btrees.bmp
Not like that.

fCxax41.jpg

Yeap pretty close to that one.

I'm also not a big fan of these builds topic either, but when the customisation is well done, it's far better than none at all.

Some customization is fine as long as you don't have to worry/think about it too much. I just don't want it to be like some games where you feel the urge to consult guides/GAF to make sure you aren't screwing up. I don't want to pour much thought or strategy into my character upgrades because I just want to get on with the adventure. DQ's relative straightforwardness is one thing I treasure about most entries in the series. There are plenty of other games where people can spend minutes going "hmmm..." and looking at their upgrade choices every time they raise a level.

Kanann

Some customization is fine as long as you don't have to worry/think about it too much. I just don't want it to be like some games where you feel the urge to consult guides/GAF to make sure you aren't screwing up. I don't want to pour much thought or strategy into my character upgrades because I just want to get on with the adventure. DQ's relative straightforwardness is one thing I treasure about most entries in the series. There are plenty of other games where people can spend minutes going "hmmm..." and looking at their upgrade choices every time they raise a level.

Silly, clueless builds are fun too, and I think DQ is an easy game series.

Eleven-kun: attack attack attack attack giga something something slash
Kamu my waifu(no homo): Speed speed speed and steal, maybe
That long hair blondie: heal buff buff heal heal heal buff buff puff puff
That kid: matk matk matk matk and mp recovery staff
That kung fu girl: critical for metal
That dancer man: keep dancing in horse carriage
That old man: horse carriage is on that way ( *`ω´)ー

Top Bottom