• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest XI "reconfirmed" for NX, possible simultaneous release with PS4/3DS

Zalman

When Square Enix first mentioned an NX version of Dragon Quest XI, they initially backtracked on the idea and said that they were merely "considering" it. In an interview with Nintendo Dream, Yuji Horii has mentioned this version is indeed in development. Not only that, but he wants it to release simultaneously on all three platforms.

Junichi Masuda from Game Freak and Masahiro Sakurai are also in the interview.

Masahiro Sakurai: Well then, I would like to ask about each of your new games. First, Dragon Quest XI. The 11th installment in the series will be released simultaneously on Nintendo 3DS and PlayStation 4, and including NX it’s coming out on three platforms, right?

Yuji Horii: That’s right. The use of hardware is different for each system, so it’s quite a challenge.
Read much more at Gematsu.

This means both Dragon Quest X and XI are in development for NX. As a side-note, Dragon Quest Builders seems likely as well. Here's what producer Noriyoshi Fujimoto said at Gamescom:
When asked if it would be a possibility that the upcoming Dragon Quest Builders would receive a port for the Nintendo NX, Fujimoto noted that “Square Enix is aware” of the compatibility between the Dragon Quest series and Nintendo’s consumers.

So the NX version is being developed with its own unique hardware in mind. That is certainly interesting. Sounds like it won't be a straight port of the PS4.

Everyone, please buy VII AND VIII on 3DS when they come out in your region. I really hope they release XI out west and not like 5 years after Japan.

tolkir

Still wouldn't be shocked if the NX version was based on the 3DS version.

Horii: That’s right. There are a lot of difficulties because of that. Each one has a different look to it, and there’s also a PlayStation 4 version, so if we make a small fix then we have to fix it across every version.
Read more at http://gematsu.com/2016/08/dragon-q...s4-3ds-versions-suggested#M4RKmmbWgKX1Tqfk.99

Probably its own version.

A Dragon Quest main title in the first year of NX, it's very good news for the console.

Neoxon

So the NX is getting its own version entirely rather than just a port of the PS4 version.

I guess that lines up with what we've heard about the NX.

Guymelef

I'd think the ps4, seems stupid to put the same game on two different Nintendo systems, can't imagine anybody going for that.

Would be like porting smash 3ds to the Wiiu...

Or like porting The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Wii U to the NX...

Torokil

I would have it hard to believe that they're making 3 different versions of the same base game, wonder what DQNXI will look like. Maybe when you plug it into the dock it becomes the PS4 version downscaled but on the go it becomes the 3DS version upscaled and you can pick up right where you left off in regards to saves.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I would have it hard to believe that they're making 3 different versions of the same base game, wonder what DQNXI will look like. Maybe when you plug it into the dock it becomes the PS4 version downscaled but on the go it becomes the 3DS version upscaled and you can pick up right where you left off in regards to saves.

I doubt they'd do something like that. If NX supports UE4 the engine it-self should scale if it needs to. Having one portion be UE4 and the other another 3D engine sounds like more of a pain in the ass to develop than the 3DS version.

Well, the PS4 uses the U4 engine and there is no version for the NX announced.

I would bet money that the NX is a glorified version of the 3DS version with system specific features.

DKHF

Looking forward to this and hope we see something new at the PS TGS conference since DQ has had a presence there for the last two years.

antonz

People probably taking versions too literally. NX will get the console version more than likely tweaked to whatever makes the NX the NX. Yes it will be a different version but not nearly as massive as 3 different games for 3 different systems

Wow! I knew it was coming to NX. I'm so glad I fully believed it when they said it was coming to NX last year. I can't wait to play it for the NX.

So we have Two Dragon Quest games coming to a system that we know nothing about. That right there is a new precedent.

Square Enix seems more than over the board with NX.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I just hope everything get localized.
Gonna buy 7 and 8 for 3ds, Heroes for ps4 and possibly Builders and X for NX. Just to be sure that also XI come her XD

antonz

Would feel strange to buy the 3DS version if you could play the PS4 version on the go (on NX).

Which is why I suspect they are going for the 2D/3D double whammy on the 3DS version. Make it truly standout as unique for those old school feels

Shiggy

Let's hope Nintendo brings it over (unlike DQ10). Othewise, language barrier and region lock wouldn't make it particularly easy to play for most on here.

kagamin

Let's hope Nintendo brings it over (unlike DQ10). Othewise, language barrier and region lock wouldn't make it particularly easy to play for most on here.

Well X is an paid subscription based MMO, while XI is a singleplayer (IX had a small multiplayer pre-3DS streetpass and co-op component however) experience like all the other Dragon Quest games Nintendo has helped to release.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
The full quotes at the link are very carefully worded to not give any details about the NX version. I was hoping I'd be able to figure something out about that version of the game from it, but it sounds like they were very mindful of what they were saying. Oh well.

I have to imagine this is getting the PS4 version scaled down. If the NX really is something that outperforms Wii U and has a modern architecture that fully supports UE4, I can't imagine the developers just upping the resolution of what one of the 3DS's screens outputs and calling it a day. That would look terrible on a bigger screen and likely awful in comparison to most other games on the system. (Not that the 3DS version doesn't look great, though)

The full quotes at the link are very carefully worded to not give any details about the NX version. I was hoping I'd be able to figure something out about that version of the game from it, but it sounds like they were very mindful of what they were saying. Oh well.

I have to imagine this is getting the PS4 version scaled down. If the NX really is something that outperforms Wii U and has a modern architecture that fully supports UE4, I can't imagine the developers just upping the resolution of what one of the 3DS's screens outputs and calling it a day. That would look terrible on a bigger screen and likely awful in comparison to most other games on the system. (Not that the 3DS version doesn't look great, though)

Well, porting the UE4 on their own would be quite the expensive task with all kinds of possible problems.
It basically render the main reason going with a third party engine pointless.

antonz

Well, porting the UE4 on their own would be quite the expensive task with all kinds of possible problems.

Unless things change dramatically NX will handle UE4 without a problem so all SE needs to do is design the game as is and select whatever configurations are needed in Unreal.

Hope that because there's a 3ds version doesn't mean the ps4/nx game is going to look like shit

3DS version has the same story but being delivered in an entirely different fashion. Will have no bearing on how good or bad Console version ends up

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member

True. I'm operating under the assumption that UE4 is coming to NX and Nintendo has already been working to get the engine running on it, like they did with Unity on Wii U. If that assumption were to prove incorrect, that'd be a big hurdle.

Oregano

The Tegra X1 was demoed running UE4 when it was announced so its pretty likely NX will support UE4, especially if Square Enix wants to use it. They wouldn't have to port it themselves, they're Epic's biggest licensee.

Gloam

It's interesting what Horii says about balancing the movement of each game. Scale is obviously a factor with the 2d/3d aspect of the 3DS version. There's also a mention of four versions, now whether or not that means that the NX version is distinct from the 3DS or PS4 version is anyone's guess. Best case graphically would be a scaled down PS4 version, or maybe, a souped-up 3D version using the 3DS assets. We will have to wait and see.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.

Why would they do it on their own? If it's got modern hardware then Epic should support it just like they supported UE3 on Wii U.

Note: Modern doesn't mean powerful. Nintendo would have to go out of their way at this point to come up with something that isn't more modern than their current hardware.

Kouriozan

Wonder how the dual screen gameplay of the 3DS version will work with the NX one since the rumor makes us think it's going to be a single screen.

Well, I don't think the game will be ready for the 30th birthday. 3 versions seem like a lot of work and we haven't seen the game since its initial unveiling so....

TheMoon

Well, the PS4 uses the U4 engine and there is no version for the NX announced.

I would bet money that the NX is a glorified version of the 3DS version with system specific features.

UE4 is not a game, they don't need to "announce a version" for NX. NX just needs to support the features the engine requires.

Top Bottom