• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition demo is out now on PS4/XB1/PC

jaysius

Banned
Lipstick on a fugly pig, I can't even bring myself to finish the game, I got halfway through, bland art style, super boring battle system and dull battles, sparsely populated MMO feel maps to explore, boring characters, written worse than a titty girl anime, this one is a real turd. You go from one uninspired empty "open" space to another ad nauseum until you hit the next THRILLING story beat.
They should have made this a patch... yea yea, all these tiny changes, suckers owners of the original should get a deep discount on this.

First Persona 5 and now this... this is fucking lower than remaster of a game a few years ago.

I'm not sure how they get a free pass for this bullshit. I guess people are that big of suckers for mediocre JRPGs.

Last edited:

Fake

Sry, but as much I want to support Dragon Quest franchise I cannot accept this.
After Crysis Remastered Xbox 360 port and Dragon Quest XI Switch port I'm really concerned with future ports/remasters.

When does it hit game pass? I hate turn based but I'll be forced to give it a go at least on xcloud.

It releases on GP day one, so December 4th.

Definitely disappointing it's based on the Switch version, but the extra content and the fact it's free make it a no brainer IMO.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Empty MMO maps, huh? The formula isn't different to classic DQ games, there are no excessively large areas, the next town or other big point (linearly for the most part) is always just a short trip through a monster infested area with few points off the beaten path for a treasure chest or whatever.

People who have the original don't care for the new content and changes as they aren't significant and people who didn't have it will buy the new version so, that's how they get a "free pass" with it I guess. A 50% discount for owners would have been nice, like paying 20 for the additions. Oh well.

I don't think it should be a patch though, the versions should be separate entries in the library regardless, you'd definitely have people complain they can't play what they bought on day one as it was and as they prefer this or that aspect of it any more, since it really isn't just a patch over it either.

I'd love if they included the 3DS version too, imo that and the 2D mode are far more fitting for a game of this sort instead of trying to make it like a cinema-tastic modern Final Fantasy or something, it's all way too traditional (the whole point of the DQ series) for that stuff to fit in well with it all.

But I suppose like the PS4 version it was never updated with the S additions either. It's all bad development from Square so it couldn't be merely patched up. They made the 3Ds 3D + 2D, with a separate PS4 version like a full remake, then they made the contract with Nintendo for the extra stuff on a Switch version and didn't actually make it for the PS4 version and then downgraded/timed it for the Switch but instead worked only on the Switch fork and now that's getting ported over to the rest rather than work to upgrade that stuff and insert it in the original PS4 base. It's a huge mess!

Last edited:

Fbh

Tried it.
Runs great on my laptop, basically locked 60fps. From what I'm reading it's also 60fps on 1X and Ps4 Pro (not sure about the base consoles). I guess this basically being an HD Switch game will definitely improve performance across the board on low-mid range hardware.

There's also a first direct comparison screenshot confirming a substantial downgrade in foliage density, textures and lighting.Though I guess 60fps somewhat makes up for it.

Teletraan1

Banned
If they offered it as a DLC or a huge price cut that essentially priced it as the equivalent price as DLC for people who already own the base game I would have bought it. As is fuck off.

martino

All square won with that and how they handle ff etc....is to have become a discount buy down the road only now
No day one support from me anymore.

Kokoloko85

I would buy but I own the original.
As great as it is.... no DLC expansion + a switch port = hell no.

Being a switch port makes it the dumbest shit ever. What a shame

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Tried it.
Runs great on my laptop, basically locked 60fps. From what I'm reading it's also 60fps on 1X and Ps4 Pro (not sure about the base consoles). I guess this basically being an HD Switch game will definitely improve performance across the board on low-mid range hardware.

There's also a first direct comparison screenshot confirming a substantial downgrade in foliage density, textures and lighting.Though I guess 60fps somewhat makes up for it.
It was 1080p 30 fps on PS4 Pro. 👀

Ulysses 31

cant play this, the ost is just too horrible to my ears
iu

You forgot to switch from the MIDI version to orchestral in options? o_O

diffusionx

Gold Member
Will download to check it out.
Also curious to see if anyone will make some graphical comparisons with the OG version

Yep.
Basically the Switch version was more than just a basic port and was sort of custom made for the Switch. So it's easier for Square to just port that whole version to PC/PS4/XBX than going back and adding the additional content to the original version of the game. The problem is the Switch version had some worse textures, reduced foliage, worse draw distances, less LOD etc and it's expected that some of that stuff will carry over and make it visually inferior to the original Ps4/PC release.

Sadly it means the game won't have an actual "definitive edition".
You'll have one version with more content and one version with nicer graphics.

This is bizarre; isn't this a UE4 game? The stuff on Switch should be an INI file in the settings not a complete new game that had to be ported over again.

Lokaum D+

iu

You forgot to switch from the MIDI version to orchestral in options? o_O
I did and for me it’s not that much better, I can’t stand the overworld theme, Jesus, it’s so annoying, bland and repetitive, the battle theme is awful too.

Just compare this overwords theme, DQXI is the worst

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

I did and for me it’s not that much better, I can’t stand the overworld theme, Jesus, it’s so annoying, bland and repetitive, the battle theme is awful too.
Guess you missed that you could switch that overworld theme with this one. 👀

Last edited:

Fbh

This is bizarre; isn't this a UE4 game? The stuff on Switch should be an INI file in the settings not a complete new game that had to be ported over again.

Apparently it has something to do with the UE4 version. The Switch port was made on a newer version and was supposedly rebuild from the ground up, Square even said the Switch version was more of a Remake than a straight port. Apparently taking all the new stuff and adding it to the OG version would have been a lot more work than just porting over the Switch version.

They could have still touched up the visuals a bit though. Added some better textures, increase the foliage density and things like that. I guess as a third re-release of the game they don't expect it to sell enough to be worth the extra time/money. Maybe some modders will eventually add some of those things.

Here's another comparison.

ethomaz

Banned
Did they update the combat to not be so easy and boring?
Did you play on non draconian difficult? Because I need to use a lot of buff/debuff to win the matches.

I lose a lot of battles to common enemies due mistakes.

Last edited:

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Welp, 31 hours later with the demo and I reached A FUCKING LEVEL CAP? Why didn’t they inform this... everyone is stuck at 20. Wtf.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Can’t get enough of this demo

Last edited:
Top Bottom