• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest XI screenshots and information

GunBR

Why does Dragon Quest gets it so right whilst Final Fantasy does seem like a mess nowadays? Dragon Quest might be the only JRPG that remained true to its roots all that time...
Final Fantasy always focused on inovate and try new things since VI

Even IX isn't a true classic JRPG like most of Dragon Quests

C0lmXK9UQAAtpAO.jpg:large

So cute! Please don't make me hurt them :(
Lol, I was literally going to post the same thing. They look adorable.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Because DQ is a series that takes no risks? It's playing it safe 101.
I appreciate FF when it tries something new, even if it fails often.
Not every JRPG series needs to stay classic.

Dragon Quest does take risks and has shifts in design paradigm. Just look at the original DQIX as an ARPG, DQX as an MMO, changing the class systems ECT...

The difference is that DQ maintains its inherent quality of being a classic RPG despite the design changes.

Final Fantasy on the other hand seems to be a series that continuously caters to a diminishing demographic. Leaving every new concurrent title being less desirable.

Edit:

I think the PS4 version looks great, but I dislike the contrast it has with semi-realistic versus cartoon stylization. Wish it just went full on animated Dragon Ball style versus what we are getting.

Aeana

That's the opening CGI of the game, but we dont see anything in game and have not seen any real time footage of them yet. Hell i didn't even know those characters existed until that CGI came out

We didn't know any of the characters existed until the event where the movie was shown. Also, the Jump article had a spotlight on one of the female characters, Emma.

But you shouldn't expect the same kinds of character interactions as other RPGs, anyway. Each will have their own introductory arc and then they'll mostly get out of the way, because that's the way Horii tells his stories.

This game is turn based? :/

Sounds like this series isn't for you.

Aeana

Not confirmed yet.

Besides, any statement is just semantics until we see the system in motion. Even ATB is technically turn-based.

ATB isn't turn-based. It says it right in the name: active time battle. It's a time-based system that's menu-driven. I think a lot of people conflate menu-driven and turn-based in their heads for some reason.

The 3DS version of this game is absolutely 100% turn-based, we know that for a fact. The PS4 version remains to be seen. It could be turn-based, it could be like DQ10 which is more of a time-based system.

LordKano

ATB isn't turn-based. It says it right in the name: active time battle. It's a time-based system that's menu-driven. I think a lot of people conflate menu-driven and turn-based in their heads for some reason.

The 3DS version of this game is absolutely 100% turn-based, we know that for a fact. The PS4 version remains to be seen. It could be turn-based, it could be like DQ10 which is more of a time-based system.

It's completely the DQX battle system, you can see the line delimiting the battle limit area in one of the screen.

I've always loved jrpgs that start in sleepy villages, optimally with a connection to earth spirits. Do wish the protag was a few years older though...

rhandino

Banned
Am I nuts for finding the look of the 3DS version to be much more appealing?
I don't think so

It looks really charming and the fact that you can flip between 2D and 3D is jusT

I wish they bring that version here so it can sit nicely along my copies of VII and VIII.

What do the FF games call the moment when the menu appears for a character and you can choose an action? They call it a turn.

As I said, it's just semantics.

OryoN

no one should be expecting the ps4 version on the switch.

Architecturally, the Switch would have much more in common with PS4 - on the GPU side - than it would with the 3DS. It may actually make more sense to port the PS4 version, even if a few cutbacks are needed. It also wouldn't be much of a selling point to offer the exact same (portable) version that several million potential 3DS owners already have access too. PS4 doesn't have a huge base in Japan, nor is it portable, so there's much greater potential sales for a Switch PS4-port, than for a 3DS port.

In the end, a (poor) decision to go with the 3DS port is still possible, but after seeing The Legend of Zelda BOTW running so beautifully on the Switch, we shouldn't pretend that DQXI is somehow completely out of the realm of possibilities. It's a notable step up, at face value, but it certainly doesn't outclass Zelda in every technical area.

Wagram

The PS4 version looks so good. I wish FF would go back to the medieval setting. I don't even care if they animate it like this.

Qwyjibo

Both look pretty damn solid. The 3DS continues to be an RPG gold mine.

PS4 or 3DS version for me? I guess I'll wait on reviews to see the differences and how both perform.

clem84

Gold Member

I'm not sure what to think myself. The game obviously won't look like the PS4 version. That much is certain. But will they really just take the 3DS version and slap it on Switch with a few improvements here and there? That wouldn't fly very well with most people.

I'm thinking it'll be a downgraded version of the PS4 game.

edit: There's also the chance that it's being developed for PS4 and Switch simultaneously with the lowest common denominator in mind.

sense

I wish the PS4 version offers both because I would like it to be turn based but I can see them changing it up to cater for western audience.

The Switch is confirmed to support UE4, and has several top people from Epic optimizing it (see here). The majority of the PS4>Switch work is therefore already done, whereas porting the 3DS version would require a lot more work.

So yes, expect the PS4 version on the Switch.

Elios83

Great looking stuff for PS4.
I won't delude myself into thinking that the game will be localized in time for 2017 here :/

So yes, expect the PS4 version on the Switch.

A significant downgrade of the PS4 version still using the UE4 engine is the most likely scenario for Switch.
3DS version on Switch doesn't make a lot of sense because the engine they are using for that game is probably not easily scalable and locked into a PS2-generation feature-set, also Switch doesn't have a dual screen so the key feature of the 3DS version would be lost.

LordKano

I'm not sure what to think myself. The game obviously won't look like the PS4 version. That much is certain. But will they really just take the 3DS version and slap it on Switch with a few improvements here and there? That wouldn't fly very well with most people.

I'm thinking it'll be a downgraded version of the PS4 game.

edit: There's also the chance that it's being developed for PS4 and Switch simultaneously with the lowest common denominator in mind.

All versions are developped simultaneously since a long time. So that's a high chance actually.

I don't see anything in the screens that seems to be too far away from what Switch could pull out.

Aeana

I wish the PS4 version offers both because I would like it to be turn based but I can see them changing it up to cater for western audience.

It wouldn't be to cater to a western audience, really. The PS4 version of DQ11 is developed by one of the studios primarily responsible for DQ10's development, which would make a battle system somewhat like DQ10's make sense. I don't expect it to be identical if it does end up being similar, because in DQ10, you can only control one character, and I don't think they'd go that way in a single-player DQ.

inner-G

Banned
I love Dragon Quest on DS because that's my only option currently.

If there's a PS4 version though, the handheld one is dead to me.

Philippo

It wouldn't be to cater to a western audience, really. The PS4 version of DQ11 is developed by one of the studios primarily responsible for DQ10's development, which would make a battle system somewhat like DQ10's make sense. I don't expect it to be identical if it does end up being similar, because in DQ10, you can only control one character, and I don't think they'd go that way in a single-player DQ.

But then how would they let you move around the battlefield and control all of the team?
Unless you take the BS of DQVIII and when it's the player turn you have to select the action for one party member you can also move it. Maybe they'll also introduce distance-based dynamics like aggro and ranged attacks?

Top Bottom