• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest XI shipments + digital sales pass 3 million

DKHF

Square Enix just announced Dragon Quest XI shipments + digital sales have passed 3 million across both PS4 and 3DS. No breakdown by platform given. But for its first 2 days, according to the sales trackers, the 3DS version sold through 1.1 million and the PS4 version sold through 950k.

17HKbYT.png

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
That's pretty insane for Japan, right? Is there a breakdown by platform?

It's big but for it to outperform DQIX in Japan (biggest DQ title, 4.2m counting the greatest hits) is a feat yet to be seen.

It's big but for it to outperform DQIX in Japan (biggest DQ title, 4.2m counting the greatest hits) is a feat yet to be seen.
It's impressive in context of the market that is Japan today. I guess the same people that always bought those games, are still buying these.

It's interesting. Speaking of Japan only they probably would have sold the same with just a 3DS version with much lower development costs. But I hope this staetegy pays off and makes Dragon Quest more popular in the west

Daouzin

Ugh! All these DQXI threads. Tempted to get the Japanese version and stumble my way through it. 2018 is too far away!

Biske

Ugh! All these DQXI threads. Tempted to get the Japanese version and stumble my way through it. 2018 is too far away!

This is what I'm doing, just for kicks. How hard could it be.

I mean RPGs are repetitive as hell.

... Right.

Kieli

Shipments in Japan are sales, right? As far as the retailers are concerned, they can't return unsold stock back to the publisher in contrast to Western retailers, who can and do.

Philippo

They should really invest in marketing for the West, i think it could do well here too. But please add VO and orchestrated music ffs.

Hope this is a signal for all japanese devs that AAA JRPGs can still sell well on PS4. There's not enough of them.

chrono01

I seriously can't wait for the NA release! Everything I've seen so far exceeded my (already lofty) expectations.

Onward to 4 million!

RM8

Have they said anything about localizing the 3DS version? I don't really care about JRPGs these days buy IX on DS was so awesome, I kind of want to play this. And there's no way I'll ever finish it if it's not on a handheld...

Fisico

so about 300-400k digital if the number only includes Japan.

Not exactly, they shipped 3M so there are hundreds of thousands of copies on shelves (which will be sold in the coming weeks)

Digital was around 150k FW and the digital ratio will only go down from there, so currently it should be around 200k at best.

They distributed about 2.65 millions of physical copies so this means it sold a lot digitally

Did Square Enix mentioned the 3M number was for 1st week ?
Otherwise it's pretty safe to say that it includes an additional shipment.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Not exactly, they shipped 3M so there are hundreds of thousands of copies on shelves (which will be sold in the coming weeks)

Digital was around 150k FW and the digital ratio will only go down from there, so currently it should be around 200k at best.

Didn't MC told us that distribution Wass 1.5 + 1.15 for the game?
Maybe today numbers inuse a second shipment?

duckroll

They distributed about 2.65 millions of physical copies so this means it sold a lot digitally

In the first weekend. This is now the second weekend. They probably shipped more already. Digital definitely pushed it over 3 million tho.

I really want to know platform splits for this, especially for digital sales, since if this holds to the general rule of each platforms digital to physical sales ratios, it'd put the PS4 version in front, which would be a massive achievement for a home console in Japan.

Oemenia

Banned
Damn that's crazy, PS4 version has a higher sell-through and with digital sales it's probably now ahead of the 3DS.

Aters

I have a feeling half of the people in this thread don't care about DQ and merely use it as console war weaponry.

Top Bottom