• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest XII: The Flames of Fate - Announcement Trailer

Square Enix has officially announced Dragon Quest XII: The Flames of Fate. Platforms and a release date were not announced, but a simultaneous worldwide release is planned.

The game will feature "a little darker and more adult tones compared to previous entries", and force players to make various choices and decide their way of life. The series’ traditional command battles will also be revamped, but fans of the series should be able to enjoy it without a sense of discomfort.

Can't wait to see more. This was a cool teaser trailer.

Last edited:
I'm glad to see it'll be a little bit more narratively adventurous than XI, the story of which was frankly extremely dull and formulaic by Dragon Quest's own standards (compare the story to V or VIII and there's really no contest). Hopefully Squenix knows to be careful and not run the franchise into the dirt like they did FF, though.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
tenor.gif

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
"... The game will feature dark, mature content..."

This makes me a little nervous. DQ has always had its own great quirkiness to it.

That is... a very liberal translation.

Horii-san said that it's going to have "A LITTLE" darker and more adult tones compared to previous DQ games. This ain't going to be Dark Souls. You can bet that anything Horii-san makes is going to have plenty of quirk to it, dark or not.

Last edited:

Fbh

Shame they didn't really show anything. But looking forward to hearing more after how much I enjoyed XI

//DEVIL//

No platform. no environment. no characters. no gameplay. not even CG.

The game is so far off that it seems they didn't have anything to show but a logo.

so boring.

I'd probably feel better about all this, if the talk was about either a darker game for adults or changing the traditional combat, not both. Square Enix usually keeps enough DQ content in the hopper to satiate Japan that I just worry about the company pushing DQXII as some experimental play to expand the Western market.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
No, stay out.

go away GIF

Why is that? Combat related? I'm honestly thinking the combat will be similar to Final Fantasy VII Remake where it's a mixed combination of turn based and real time which I would be fine with but if I have to choose between 100% turn based OR 100% real time, im going with real time. Just have to wait for gameplay and combat trailer. Hopefully in September at TGS.

Why is that? Combat related? I'm honestly thinking the combat will be similar to Final Fantasy VII Remake where it's a mixed combination of turn based and real time which I would be fine with but if I have to choose between 100% turn based OR 100% real time, im going with real time. Just have to wait for gameplay and combat trailer. Hopefully in September at TGS.
I like Dragon Quest with its 35 year old battle system. Making it real time would turn into an entirely different game.

Blond

Banned
That is... a very liberal translation.

Horii-san said that it's going to have "A LITTLE" darker and more adult tones compared to previous DQ games. This ain't going to be Dark Souls. You can bet that anything Horii-san makes is going to have plenty of quirk to it, dark or not.
If it’s anything like XI I think I understand the direction they’re going. That game was quirky but it definitely has its moments!

Shouta

It's definitely not going to be anything folks are thinking it's going to be on any of the aspects Horii touched upon. If I had to guess, it might be something closer to some of the Dragon Quest manga in tone like The Emblem of Roto and its sequel manga. It's still quirky but it's a bit more serious in tone and storytelling, relative to the DQ games.

I'm really curious in the decision-making that will be in the game. Horii mentioned that players will be face decisions they need to make and they need to decide how they want to live/play the game. There might be some big decisions that change the game too. How many and how big the decisions will be are what interests me and I hope it's something a bit more complex if possible.

SinDelta

"... The game will feature dark, mature content..."

This makes me a little nervous. DQ has always had its own great quirkiness to it.
Red flag 1, with combat change being red flag 2.

Thing is XI has plenty of messed up shit that happens, as
Act 2 very clearly shows. Going beyond stuff like the genocide of entire Kingdoms, people and family even turning into monsters, ect. How do you go for more dark and mature themes then that? It's Dragon Quest, not Final Fantasy but if you intend to go even further well shit you are now in the same area as Dragons Dogma, Dragon Age possibly even approching the same abyss as Dark Souls.

Last edited:

SSfox

Gameplay reveal at tgs maybe?

As long as it won't be switch exclusive with those shitty outdated graphics, it should be good. Horii knows his stuff.

carlosrox

Banned
I keep wanting to get into this series but never got around to 11. Did love 7 on the 3DS though, or what I played of it rather...

Anyways this should be the one I finally play.

Down for darker tones, I always am.

Switch Pro release I'm betting.

Eimran

Allright f*ing hype!!! XI was no DQ VIII but still a beautiful game nevertheless.

Don't care if it's a little bit darker as long it stays true to the goofiness franchise we know

Tschumi

i just bought dragon quest 11 :p apparently it's one of the best titles on ps4 (my current system) and now u tell me there's a whole other game after it ? :p

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I guess they mean they will be updating or rebuilding traditional turn-based battles.

I hope it continues to be turn-based because I love that about Dragon Quest games.
11’s combat is the best setup yet for me. I love the auto battle. It’s simple and easy to tweak.

GeekyDad

i just bought dragon quest 11 :p apparently it's one of the best titles on ps4 (my current system) and now u tell me there's a whole other game after it ? :p
Well, considering the "trailer" was merely the title, I'm guessing you'll have plenty of time to finish XI and work up a hunger for more before XII releases. ;)

Animagic

Banned

Square Enix has officially announced Dragon Quest XII: The Flames of Fate. Platforms and a release date were not announced, but a simultaneous worldwide release is planned.

The game will feature "a little darker and more adult tones compared to previous entries", and force players to make various choices and decide their way of life. The series’ traditional command battles will also be revamped, but fans of the series should be able to enjoy it without a sense of discomfort.

Can't wait to see more. This was a cool teaser trailer.

I’m like the one person that didn’t enjoy DQ11, so I’m not sure I’m in for this one.

Darker tone sounds like edgy tryhard stuff. Not sure how to feel about that either.

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
Technically, DQXI already had a "revamped" turn-based combat, as it discarted the traditional system where you had to select the actions for the entire party all at once. This made the pace faster (if you can clear all enemies with a single character, you'd be saving time not inputing useless commands for others), more immediate (you can react and strategize accordingly to what the enemies have already done and which ones are yet to act in any given turn), which also made it fairer for non-AI combat (because in previous titles, AI controlled characters could react and improvize to each situation, while players would have to predict or pre-act).

Based on the recent translation, I'd say it's likely that DQXII will push further changes while still keeping it turn-based, similar to DQXI, but taking a few steps more.

Last edited:
Top Bottom