• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown ships over 300k in Japan across PS3 and Vita

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I dunno but I'm having a blast with this game. It isn't as boring compared to Muramasa and supposedly Odin Sphere.

heringer

I dunno but I'm having a blast with this game. It isn't as boring compared to Muramasa and supposedly Odin Sphere.

How boring is Muramasa? Been on the fence with this game ever since the Wii release. Looks great, but a lot of people claim the game is super boring.

wiggleb0t

Banned
Preordered a few months back for Vita. Not from Amazon though, CDuniverse.
Checked Amazon list n almost ordered it again before realizing I had preordered from CDUniverse. lol :|

Vanillaware make excellent games. This is great news as we need more Vanillaware games!

Raist

Banned
To a publisher, what is shipped is sold. They're selling either directly to consumers via DD, or they're selling to retailers by shipping units to stores. So it's not unusual for them to have a total figure which combines their retail shipment along with the DD sales, since that would be the total number of units the publisher has sold so far.

I know, I mean, I just just picturing them shipping digital copies. Nevermind :p

So is that thing supposed to hit EU PSN next week? edit: PS3. I haz no Vita.

Andrew.

Banned
Certainly is refreshingly surprising to see a genre like this finally get some 21st century attention (next to Castle Crashers). I can't wait to see how it does out here in the West, but if being #2 on Amazons videogame best sellers list is any indication, I think it'll do pretty damn good.

Jubern

I know, I mean, I just just picturing them shipping digital copies. Nevermind :p

So is that thing supposed to hit EU PSN next week? edit: PS3. I haz no Vita.

Nope, end of the year. Atlus has no publishing arm in the EU so NIS America, who does, takes over publishing duty. So delay.

Skilletor

How boring is Muramasa? Been on the fence with this game ever since the Wii release. Looks great, but a lot of people claim the game is super boring.

Really, really boring. After the first 15 minutes, you'll have pretty much done everything gameplay wise. Then you'll be running across repetitive (pretty) screen after repetitive (pretty) screen in order to get from point A to point B.

Never would have thought in this day and age an old school style beat-em-up (2d no less!) would over perform.

Warms this old gamers heart. Can't wait to play it!

Andrew.

Banned
Really, really boring. After the first 15 minutes, you'll have pretty much done everything gameplay wise. Then you'll be running across repetitive (pretty) screen after repetitive (pretty) screen in order to get from point A to point B.

And yet I love it so much. Currently replaying it now (Wii version) and I understand the eventual monotony of it, but it doesnt get to me. I'm constantly switching up swords and between Muso/Shura to keep me on my toes. It's how Ive always played it. Plus the music is so hypnotic to me that once I start its kinda hard to put down. The perfect control (using the classic pro) certainly compliments the experience even more.

I spent ann hour grinding on the God of Pestilence last night and had a fucking blast.

That's cool. I haven't played a 2D scroller beat em up ever since Streets of Rage on this Sonic Genesis Collection I got, so I hope this is good and makes me more interested in the genre. The game deserves the sales from what I've seen so far.

Can't wait to pick up a Vita copy on Tuesday.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

The problem with Muramasa is that it's all flash, little depth, and heavily recycled. Not only that but the sidequests are pretty lame because it involves recycling too.

It's not a bad game though, but if you were to pick a version, get the Vita one because if you start getting bored from the game, you can suspend it and resume afterwards. This game is good for short bursts.

Glass Rebel

I'd say it's even mega boring. It has very little depth, the jump is mapped on the analog in the Wii version (they fixed it in the Vita port, I hear) and one out of two weapon classes is terrible. Couple that with the most repetitive levels and backtracking and you have Muramasa: The Demon Blade.

Stay clear, please. I don't want another soul to fall prey to the atrocity that is that game.

Road

No, we can't just do that, because they're announcing this today, which is a week from when it started selling. If it sold 180k out of a 200k shipment in the first weekend, then it is likely to have gotten restocked throughout this week, which means there's no long a great way to get a fixed number on digital downloads. ~50k is more likely imo.

It doesn't even say it's Japan only (unless I'm missing it), so other Asian countries could be included.

Anyway, best selling Atlus game there since Persona 4 (~340k Famitsu; ~430k Media Create).

duckroll

It doesn't even say it's Japan only (unless I'm missing it), so other Asian countries could be included.

Anyway, best selling Atlus game there since Persona 4 (~340k Famitsu; ~430k Media Create).

Asia's probably included, but it's not going to be significant, especially when the English release is next week. :)

heringer

The problem with Muramasa is that it's all flash, little depth, and heavily recycled. Not only that but the sidequests are pretty lame because it involves recycling too.

It's not a bad game though, but if you were to pick a version, get the Vita one because if you start getting bored from the game, you can suspend it and resume afterwards. This game is good for short bursts.

I'd say it's even mega boring. It has very little depth, the jump is mapped on the analog in the Wii version (they fixed it in the Vita port, I hear) and one out of two weapon classes is terrible. Couple that with the most repetitive levels and backtracking and you have Muramasa: The Demon Blade.

Stay clear, please. I don't want another soul to fall prey to the atrocity that is that game.

:(

Will wait until it's free on PS+.

KiNeSiS

Banned

Sad but true. At least I got Muramasa Wii at K-Mart for 5 bucks a couple of years back.
Best game store.
Also got Virtua Tennis Vita for $15

This interview is a good read as it shows just how big of a risk this game was even with a 1m budget

Though Princess Crown was highly praised, it came at the end of the Saturn's life and sales weren't huge---bankruptcy of the development company was a big loss, too. Princess Crown was branded as a "red ink project"/money-loser and people who worked on it weren't looked upon favorably.

His company just ignores deadlines and keeps working until its funds run out. That hasn't changed even as of now. It's bad practice as a company, but Kamitani is just happy being able to make games. Given that Vanillaware has more employees now, he realizes that he needs to reconsider his dangerous approach-- even though Vanillaware exists to make games, doing so til' money runs dry is simply not ideal.

Reason he doesn't do sequels is that he can't usually, so he makes games such that they're stuffed full of all the ideas he wanted to have, with no potential for regrets over things left out. Dragon's Crown is one such game, where he's completely exhausted all the ideas he wanted and implemented them, so that it'd be hard to make a sequel quickly even if asked.

Dragon's Crown is just packed with things he liked, everything he was hoping for pretty much got put in. The game system, the art, the game book style [does this mean like in Odin Sphere? I don't know.], monsters, scenario events. Now that he's made this game, he can die happy. Not that he wants to die yet----even when his game designs weren't going forward, he always was making planning documents and has tons of other ideas he wants to do. There's at least 10 that he still wants to do most of all.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=569265

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Not going to pay $40 to see if I like the game unless I really want it. I can wait for a sale. :)

People in the official thread say that the PS Blogcast mention that a Dragon's Crown Demo should be coming next Tuesday; Possibly just for PS3, but maybe for Vita as well.

Should be good for all those who are on the fence.

Mupod

I want this game to do well so they can make something 10 times more amazing by the time they run out of money again.

Also, goddamn future shop send it already! Although there's a civic holiday here on monday so I'm waiting for tuesday anyways. I'm glad they seem to have gotten the artbook preorder bonus though, they never had it listed on their site until recently.

I wish every Japanese company would take note of this: you can still make games that sell well at middle-range budgets. I really feel like those are the best games, not the high-end stuff.

I enjoyed it except for how imbalanced it was. You need to spam top tier sword arts to defeat some of the challenges, but you're invincible while performing them. It takes all of the fun out of the game. It was repetitive, though.

RMI

Banned

get the Vita version. I don't think boring is the right word. Repetitive is more like it. It's worth it just for the boss fights which are TOP NOTCH>

sunnz

Well that sucks. Will try US PSN then. Not sure my card will work :/

Not sure if it does still work, but what I did was order US PSN cards from ebay and use that to buy stuff from the US PSN store, worked perfectly.

It should work I reckon, if you can find US psn cards.

( I am from UK)

Top Bottom