• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma comes to Switch in April

KINDERFELD

Banned
Have fun! Do you play it with a controller? I can vouch for the Xbox One controller. Feels good!

This is my 3rd time replying it and 4K/60FPS with everything maxed and HDR is a really nice thing to experience.

Also, I keep forgetting how absolutely fun this combat system is.

We certainly need Dragon's Dogma 2!

noqtic

Guess I'll be buying this for the 3rd time. One of my favorite games of all time and I wish Capcom would give it a proper sequel.

I adore this game and I'm glad more people get to play it.

But mark my words, the framerate in the endgame areas is going to be abysmal. I recall the PS3 version having the worst framerate I've ever experienced. It wasn't until the PC version that I was able to finish it up lol

Last edited:

cireza

I don’t see why it wouldn’t. It originally came out last gen and Switch plays last gen games fine for the most part. I think Dark Souls on Switch runs well. Skyrim too.
If I remember correctly the game ran with black bars and framerate below 30.

Hudo

This is my 3rd time replying it and 4K/60FPS with everything maxed and HDR is a really nice thing to experience.

Also, I keep forgetting how absolutely fun this combat system is.

We certainly need Dragon's Dogma 2!

For real! I was a bit disappointed at first that Hideaki Itsuno is currently busy with DMC5. But then again, I like what they have shown so far, so I'm alright with that choice now, haha. But damn, I hope he'll do a Dragon's Dogma sequel after he's finished with DMC5.

Last edited:

hecatomb

Banned
I don't feel like buying this game again, I mean its fun if you never played it before. The DLC is really good though, almost on like dark souls level hard.

KINDERFELD

Banned
I don't feel like buying this game again, I mean its fun if you never played it before. The DLC is really good though, almost on like dark souls level hard.

Trust me, its fun replaying it as well.
This is my 3rd time and I'm doing so on pc and having a blast.

Daymos

I think this becomes my most wanted game of 2019 that has a release date. I loved the game on ps3(definitely in my top 10 for that generation) but always thought it ran like crap, as everyone else here seems to be stating. I've been avoiding the ps4 version in hopes of a switch release and here it is.

Pachi72

Great game but HATE when your character gets tired from running since it is hard to teleport in this game.

I actually hadn't noticed this until now. Great bump.

hF94j1S.png

Zannegan

For $30? I think I just might jump in again. Not loving the idea of lugging around a bunch of AI companions though.

It's okay, deeply flawed game

Hold a moment, there's ought here.

Say what? Neat! Despite its flaws

Cool. It's a flawed
Dragon's Dogma has flaws

The mistaken hunt in packs, Arisen!

Seriously, flaws? You could argue that the game didn't do some very small things perfectly. Everything else it nailed in a way I have never seen before. The Dragon encounters and speeches, the Dragon fight (where you run towards him in a hall or run away...) the enemies, the characters, the lure, the everfall...

The only two mistakes this game makes are no co-op and no sequel.

This is one of, if not the THE best action/rpg I have ever played. I don't know anybody who played this game and put it down before racking up 100 hours. I would love to see the average playtime.

It Is great that this game is still kept in the spotlight and is still being released on platforms. If no DD2, then I want a 4k HDR version next gen :)

Last edited:

Shifty

Tis a blinkered fanboy, Arisen!

DD is my #1 open world game, but I'm not blind to things such as:
  • The item balance being busted, enabling heal spamming to max via menu with no consequence
  • Subtractive defense scaling making every encounter 'insta-whomp or be insta whomped' after a point, and having to work around that with periapts and specific game-breaking builds
  • Bitterblack isle's difficulty curve and necessity of farming being super broken, especially post-daimon
  • MT Framework not being fully ready for open-world at the time, resulting in poor performance scaling on PC
  • The good theme tune being patched out in Dark Arisen due to the license expiring
  • No Berserk gear in the PC release, again due to licensing issues
  • Certain graphical effects (mostly magic glows) being thoroughly blinding at night and needing mods to fix
  • Certain classes (ex. Warrior, Mage, Mystic Knight) feeling redundant toward endgame
Among various other things that would require another replay to properly refresh myself on.

Seriously, saying DD's flaws are 'very minor' is delusional at best when some of them reach right into the game's core systems. It's the poster boy for being an imperfect gem.

If you want to see something that puts the game in stark relief, look up some footage and coverage of the JP-only Dragon's Dogma Online. It improves vastly on the original outside of the F2P aspects, something that I think bodes well for an eventual mainline sequel.

Fanboy? Yeah, i'll accept that. However....

Seriously, saying DD's flaws are 'very minor' is delusional at best when some of them reach right into the game's core systems. It's the poster boy for being an imperfect gem.

The item balance being busted, enabling heal spamming to max via menu with no consequence. Fallout does the same...

Subtractive defense scaling making every encounter 'insta-whomp or be insta whomped' after a point, and having to work around that with periapts and specific game-breaking builds. Basically any RPG

Bitterblack isle's difficulty curve and necessity of farming being super broken, especially post-daimon.
O.K.
MT Framework not being fully ready for open-world at the time, resulting in poor performance scaling on PC
Not a game issue. It runs fine on console. This is an engine issue.
The good theme tune being patched out in Dark Arisen due to the license expiring
makes the game flawed?
No Berserk gear in the PC release, again due to licensing issues
come on buddy...
Certain graphical effects (mostly magic glows) being thoroughly blinding at night and needing mods to fix
come on buddy...
Certain classes (ex. Warrior, Mage, Mystic Knight) feeling redundant toward endgame
90% of RPGs

If you're going to get so blunt saying i'm a fanboy and this game has flaws, at least bring some real flaws to the table. If I went through ANY game to this detail I would find issues.

This is like the Sharp Knees meme.

I'm really curious to how late-game runs on Switch. Particularly those rooms with several liches and like 50 hellhounds. Those rooms made my PS3 slow to the worst framerate I've ever seen.

sublimit

Banned
Everything else it nailed in a way I have never seen before. The Dragon encounters and speeches, the Dragon fight (where you run towards him in a hall or run away...)
Eh i LOVE Dragon's Dogma (i'm currently replaying it for the 9th time trying to get every armor and weapon in the game) but honestly i hated the scripted parts of that fight. Regular dragon fights are pretty awesome though! :)

Shifty

If you're going to get so blunt saying i'm a fanboy and this game has flaws
Friendly reminder that you tagged no less than three people to springboard your weak-ass "I love it therefore it's perfect and you're wrong" post.

Throw stones, expect comebacks.

at least bring some real flaws to the table.
There's nothing more 'real' than getting stomped into the ground and losing potentially hours of progress because the balance is broken.

If we're playing the subjective reality game then perhaps you'd be so kind as to furnish us with a 'real' argument as to why the game is flawless? You know, now you've conceded that there are in fact flaws to be had.

(See how dumb this line of thinking is?)

If I went through ANY game to this detail I would find issues.
Welcome to critique.

Calling people's opinions 'mistaken' for acknowledging the flaws of a work that they regardless enjoy is some dumb shit. Do you have any idea how boring discussions would be if everyone bought into the blinkered "it's best thing ever, HYPEEEEE" mindset?

Learn to separate "but i really really really like it tho" from "there are issues" if you want to have an actual constructive discussion about it.

Last edited:
Friendly reminder that you tagged no less than three people to springboard your weak-ass "I love it therefore it's perfect and you're wrong" post.

Throw stones, expect comebacks.

There's nothing more 'real' than getting stomped into the ground and losing potentially hours of progress because the balance is broken.

If we're playing the subjective reality game then perhaps you'd be so kind as to furnish us with a 'real' argument as to why the game is flawless? You know, now you've conceded that there are in fact flaws to be had.

(See how dumb this line of thinking is?)

Welcome to critique.

Calling people's opinions 'mistaken' for acknowledging the flaws of a work that they regardless enjoy is some dumb shit. Do you have any idea how boring discussions would be if everyone bought into the blinkered "it's best thing ever, HYPEEEEE" mindset?

Learn to separate "but i really really really like it tho" from "there are issues" if you want to have an actual constructive discussion about it.

Well, this will be my last reply as you clearly can't see that my quotes were a bit of fun. I even used quotes from the game. You're very defensive over this for some reason and reading too much into it. It never said it was perfect, I never said it others were wrong.

Again, you clearly have some kind of mental issue of seeing ghosts and enemies were there are none.

Lighten up, seek help, enjoy life. Not everybody is out to get you.

Eh i LOVE Dragon's Dogma (i'm currently replaying it for the 9th time trying to get every armor and weapon in the game) but honestly i hated the scripted parts of that fight. Regular dragon fights are pretty awesome though! :)

For me, it was how the scene was set up. When The Dragon (Drako?) gives you the choice of fight or flee, the whole speech and the choice is perfect. Then, seeing the size of him, wings spread, in the background it just makes it amazing. You either walk away or run towards him to fight. It's a very very memorable scene.

ChuyMasta

Ok so how do I get around the defense balance issue? I just downloaded the game yesterday so I want to make sure I avpid these flaws as much as possible.

I do plan on abusing the item usage through paused menu thing. Just like in Breath of the wild.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Ok so how do I get around the defense balance issue? I just downloaded the game yesterday so I want to make sure I avpid these flaws as much as possible.
For most of the game (if it's your first time playing) it's just going to be trial + error, or following a guide online (not recommended, as I feel like the trial and error is kind of part of the experience). Save as often as possible.

kiiltz

• The item balance being busted, enabling heal spamming to max via menu with no consequence
  • Subtractive defense scaling making every encounter 'insta-whomp or be insta whomped' after a point, and having to work around that with periapts and specific game-breaking builds
  • Bitterblack isle's difficulty curve and necessity of farming being super broken, especially post-daimon
  • MT Framework not being fully ready for open-world at the time, resulting in poor performance scaling on PC
  • The good theme tune being patched out in Dark Arisen due to the license expiring
  • No Berserk gear in the PC release, again due to licensing issues
  • Certain graphical effects (mostly magic glows) being thoroughly blinding at night and needing mods to fix
  • Certain classes (ex. Warrior, Mage, Mystic Knight) feeling redundant toward endgame
I mean, most of those are minor if not subjective. I'd really only consider your 2nd and 3rd points valid (never played PC version so can't say anything there except maybe porting issues). You might also have a point with item balance being busted but I personally liked the item use through menu feature as it reminded me a lot of the early PS1 games, etc.

I think the core issues with game are
  • memes aside, the voice acting, or the repetitiveness of it at small intervals
  • the overall story (not including the ending) and fetch side quests
  • small open world (compared to its contemporaries)
  • small monster/enemy roster (pre-BBI)
The world and lore itself seems to have never reached it's full potential or as a friend said "never fully realized" and it's disappointing that the village and Gran Soren are the only hubs for civilization. There's other bits and pieces that I can't remember as I haven't played in a while but those are the things that stuck out to me.

sublimit

Banned
Btw anyone who loves this game should check Nihil0.0's channel. He's the most badass and knowledgeable player of this game i've ever seen. After so many playthroughs i thought i knew the game pretty well but compared to him i'm a total noob. He keeps experimenting and trying new things and constantly proves how deep the mechanics of this game were.
I already loved the game but after i discovered his channel i began to appreciate it even more.

Itsuno really made a masterwork with his game even with all its flaws. However there is a big confusion of what is a flaw and what isn't in this game,and i think it gets a lot of unfair criticisms from people who barely even scratched its surface,or even worst from people who haven't even played it and they are basing their words on other people's misconceptions.
Dragon's Dogma is a game from another age. It's not for people who want rush through it in order to write a shallow review or give a shallow,generic opinion on their Youtube channel and then quickly move on to the next game. Dragon's Dogma is the type of game that rewards you the more you play it and the more you understand its mechanics always positively surprising you with its depth at its core gameplay.

I can only imagine how incredible a sequel would have been if they improved upon the (real) flaws of the game while kept and expanded upon all the strengths of the first game! I keep saying to myself that one day i need to make a thread about what i would love to see in a potential Dragon's Dogma 2 but i guess i'm too lazy to do it. :p

Shifty

Well, this will be my last reply as you clearly can't see that my quotes were a bit of fun. I even used quotes from the game.
Interesting that you'd pull the "just kidding lol" card now you've had your shit deconstructed.

Seems a bit much to escalate to this fragile WE'RE DONE HERE drama when you could have just clarified that from the start were it the case 🤔

I never said it others were wrong.
"The mistaken hunt in packs, Arisen" implies that the people you quoted were 'mistaken' (or 'wrong') in their opinion.

It never said it was perfect
Going on from the above, challenging the idea that "it has flaws" implies that you think there are none. You then doubled down and dismissed my response as 'not real'.

Again, you clearly have some kind of mental issue of seeing ghosts and enemies were there are none.

Lighten up, seek help, enjoy life. Not everybody is out to get you.
Goodness me, no need to make it personal. You tagged a bunch of people and told them their opinions were wrong, and I called you out for it.

Own your words and take it on the chin, willya?

Last edited:

Shifty

I mean, most of those are minor if not subjective. I'd really only consider your 2nd and 3rd points valid (never played PC version so can't say anything there except maybe porting issues). You might also have a point with item balance being busted but I personally liked the item use through menu feature as it reminded me a lot of the early PS1 games, etc.
Yeah, the severity and subjectivity ranges a bit across the list. It's mostly just to serve as an example of the game not being flawless when challenged on it.

I think the core issues with game are
  • memes aside, the voice acting, or the repetitiveness of it at small intervals
  • the overall story (not including the ending) and fetch side quests
  • small open world (compared to its contemporaries)
  • small monster/enemy roster (pre-BBI)
The world and lore itself seems to have never reached it's full potential or as a friend said "never fully realized" and it's disappointing that the village and Gran Soren are the only hubs for civilization. There's other bits and pieces that I can't remember as I haven't played in a while but those are the things that stuck out to me.
Yep, I agree with most of that. They did add an option to turn off the pawns' repetitive barks, but there are probably nicer solutions like having a bigger pool of voice lines and rotating them out so they don't get stale.

The story did seem a tad cookie-cutter up until the finale, though I found it charming in its own way. The whole game's a bit like that, jank here and there but entertaining for it. I guess I'd like to see more stuff around the edges tie into the big "this is the way of things" you get come the end.

Belmonte

Hold a moment, there's ought here.

Seriously, flaws? You could argue that the game didn't do some very small things perfectly. Everything else it nailed in a way I have never seen before. The Dragon encounters and speeches, the Dragon fight (where you run towards him in a hall or run away...) the enemies, the characters, the lure, the everfall...

The only two mistakes this game makes are no co-op and no sequel.

This is one of, if not the THE best action/rpg I have ever played. I don't know anybody who played this game and put it down before racking up 100 hours. I would love to see the average playtime.

It Is great that this game is still kept in the spotlight and is still being released on platforms. If no DD2, then I want a 4k HDR version next gen :)

Gave you a like because of your passion! You clearly have good taste in games, haha.

Dragon's Dogma is easily one of the best action RPGs ever but this doesn't mean it is flawless. Some of its issues already have been writen by other members but I would add the confusing inventory and quest system. It isn't broken by any stretch but it can be an issue, specially for begginer players. That said, I agree it is a minor problem and it is nothing in the ocean of badassery Dragon's Dogma is.

Ironically what you think could be a problem, the lack of co-op, is a good thing for me. If you put co-op, you would diminish the importance of the Paws. It is a great idea to affect other player games with a traveling NPC.

Top Bottom