• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen Comes to PC This January

just bought a cronus max (which allows you to do macros with the analogue sticks which you can't do with any PC software like autohotkey/joy2key/xpadder) and a new 360 controller for this game :)

The graphics look way better than the PS3 version lol.

People expecting this to be a full remaster or something are crazy (actually, some of those textures do look higher res).

This is probably how the game will look (and it looks great imo).

Now I'm back to watching videos of the game again >.>

Also, someone mod DMC4 Dante in DD =X

ChouGoku

The only tip you need when starting Dragon's Dogma:

1. Buy a ton of empty flasks for every group member.

2. Go to nearby spring and fill those flasks up with water.

Now enjoy healing through any damage you receive.

3. Keep and level up rusted weapons

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
To be fair it is a work in progress but I do understand it can look hella rough, especially seeing the textures of the outfits you can wear. If anything modders can have a hand at fixing some textures

From the Official Capcom UK:

Comments like this annoy me when the developer/publisher make no efforts to actually help support mods. If its something they actually think would be cool they should put some work in to make the game open ended. Like, from the start this seemed like an eastern devs stab at an open world game - what like the elder scrolls games - but those have such a long life through modding BECAUSE Bethesda helps nurture that community.

iosefe

Comments like this annoy me when the developer/publisher make no efforts to actually help support mods. If its something they actually think would be cool they should put some work in to make the game open ended. Like, from the start this seemed like an eastern devs stab at an open world game - what like the elder scrolls games - but those have such a long life through modding BECAUSE Bethesda helps nurture that community.

i would assume MT framework is already pretty mod friendly

Red Hood

Banned
The subpar framerate on PS3 always gave me headache, so just being able to play this at 60fps is a very solid reason to me. Do we know what price it launches? I remember reading $30?

The only tip you need when starting Dragon's Dogma:

1. Buy a ton of empty flasks for every group member.

2. Go to nearby spring and fill those flasks up with water.

Now enjoy healing through any damage you receive.

Never did that. Or the rusty weapons thing. I mostly just played the game, I don't remember cheesing stuff too much other than leveling classes on cows outside of Gran Soren. And lategame doing the wall farming thing in town, that was pretty nice for afk leveling.

Then again I don't remember how I healed, so maybe? Could you just buy potions? I remember when I did my normal playthrough I had a mage healing so it wasn't nearly as bad but I did a solo playthrough, just don't remember how I was healing.

That's why I'm looking forward to playing the game again, it's been long enough that I don't remember everything in details, especially Bitterblack isle.

Hmm also that video they posted has the black bars? Are they really not going to remove these?

wbacon

Capcom USA
I just need to know will I be able to do 4K/60FPS fine or 1440/144fps. Sometimes I want to play on my TV and sometimes on my monitor!

You should be able to achieve those resolutions and performance levels provided you have a capable, late model GPU. We'll publish system reqs along with other PC-specific info somewhere around Dec. 3rd.

Grief.exe

I'm not sure what is wrong with that aspect ratio in the Youtube video, but for those worried 16:9 4K+ resolutions have already been confirmed.

Skelter

Banned
You should be able to achieve those resolutions and performance levels provided you have a capable, late model GPU. We'll publish system reqs along with other PC-specific info somewhere around Dec. 3rd.

I'm not sure what is wrong with that aspect ratio in the Youtube video, but for those worried 16:9 4K+ resolutions have already been confirmed.

Official word two posts up even and even HFR!

Lime

damn the textures don't look to be improved judging from that video :/

1341zyqh5.png

The textures were reaaaaally low-res in the console port, I had hoped they would improve them for the PC release, as they have done in the DD:Online game.

1341zyqh5.png

The textures were reaaaaally low-res in the console port, I had hoped they would improve them for the PC release, as they have done in the DD:Online game.

I thought the video was console-based? I recall seeing PS3 buttons.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
From graphical point pc port looks very rough - lowres textures, lod system, shadows..But 60 fps make it godlike!

I haven't played the original—does it look worse than that or the same? I'm fine with it looking the same because it's a port, but I'd certainly be less interested if it somehow looks worse.

Bl@de

I just hope the game will have good KB&M controls (and a mouse friendly UI). Don't care too much about the graphics, at least it will run in 60fps on my system then^^ Looking forward to this game. Heard a lot of good things :) Top of my steam wishlist.

wbacon

Capcom USA

1341zyqh5.png

That's an unfortunate result of YouTube compression, or texture resolution potentially set to 'normal' or 'low.' Hard to say as the footage definitely took its toll due to YouTube video compression.

For comparison's sake, here's a cleaner look at the same cape:
ss_a043fb65dbb6446d452bf5d759900ef59fa943f5.jpg

Some bonus shots:
ss_b77be59140fb2d082366212e8fef8ee8a453129f.jpg

ss_765cdba1cc2e3846094b448e325578a2c766fcb0.jpg

While textures won't compare to current gen titles built from the ground up, the assets in DDDA PC will look better than past gen console versions since they're original, uncompressed assets.

Dinda

That's an unfortunate result of YouTube compression, or texture resolution potentially set to 'normal' or 'low.' Hard to say as the footage definitely took its toll due to YouTube video compression.

Some bonus shots:

While textures won't compare to current gen titles built from the ground up, the assets in DDDA PC will look better than past gen console versions since they're original, uncompressed assets.

Fuck Yeah! Looks great!

Like most Capcom re-releases, this feels about $10 too expensive for what it is, especially after buying the original game + Dark Arisen (about $100 total) when they came out.

...still might triple-dip.

Makki

Feed the graphics whores to the brine, this port not having black bars and 60 fps is a blessing and the combat alone will make my bulge arisen

Elman

Coming from the PS3 version, this is a huge step up. Thank you for making this happen.

dlauv

I'm not expecting anything more than a well-running and higher-res 360 port.

I don't feel like popping it in my PS3 to confirm, but how's the draw distance in comparison, if anyone can tell?

Lime

Some bonus shots:

Thank you for the correction, I love it :D

Well if they said the black bars are not final that's good, cause that video had black bars that's why I was wondering. And I mean, the actual original black bars, then they framed the whole thing for whatever reason(I think windows movie maker does that shit automatically, but surely they didn't make a trailer with that, right?) but you can see the difference in blacks between the bars and the frame all around the video.

Textures look alright, some look meh but game's old and it's not like a remaster or something, so no complaints. Still looks better than PS3, and I'm sure if it's moddable people will make better textures anyway eventually.

Gren

My personal holiday season for games really begins next year, lol.

Glad that it sounds to be coming along well enough; with this game I'll have most all of my last-gen favorites accounted for on PC :)

Keinu

Like most Capcom re-releases, this feels about $10 too expensive for what it is, especially after buying the original game + Dark Arisen (about $100 total) when they came out.

...still might triple-dip.

I can see how you feel that since you allready own the game, but for people who doesn't, this is great value.

I really hope for a good change in control schemes for magic-using classes and the ability to give specific orders to individual pawns. Being able to zoom out a little farther and just being able to trick out pawns myself would also be dope.

With a few changes, there is a good chance I'll go in a third time.

I just hope the game will have good KB&M controls (and a mouse friendly UI). Don't care too much about the graphics, at least it will run in 60fps on my system then^^ Looking forward to this game. Heard a lot of good things :) Top of my steam wishlist.

keyboard and mouse? maybe for ranger class perhaps.

Cyrano

Well I, for one, didn't mean to say that it's like Souls or "comparable" (beyond just superficial aspects e.g. third-person real-time hack-and-slash action-RPG combat), only that I still think that Souls combat is overall better, for various reasons (I can elaborate if anyone cares).

But it's true that they're not really similar. It's actually a bit more similar to MH, but even MH has strangely more in common with Souls combat than Dragon's Dogma, I'd say.

Also, for PC gamers, I have no idea if controller support is gonna be all that great, but regardless I'd recommend using a controller. It's really made with a controller in mind I think.
I dunno, I think that Souls combat is markedly different, though Bitterblack Isle does feel like a Souls game (and in many ways, feels more difficult). I personally prefer the way Dragon's Dogma controls because it just feels more... interactive? I dunno how to describe it exactly, just that climbing on enemies is such a different feeling. Closer to Shadow of the Colossus than Dark Souls. Actually, that might be a better way to describe Dragon's Dogma. A fusion of Shadow of the Colossus and Dark Souls.

Would also recommend using a controller.

Another tip: would recommend leveling up an Assassin early if you like movement options, because you will get so many from Assassin skills.

Dinjoralo

I hope it doesn't have a problem with using both KB/M and controller at the same time, so I can use my Steam Controller I'm going to get for christmas with a good mouse-controlled camera.

Parsnip

Looks sweet.
Though I'm slightly worried since I remember not liking the demo of DD back when I tried it on x360, but I can't for the life of me remember what was it exactly that I didn't like.

I hope it doesn't have a problem with using both KB/M and controller at the same time, so I can use my Steam Controller I'm going to get for christmas with a good mouse-controlled camera.
From few pages back.
Game accepts input from both device types simultaneously. A hybrid device such as the Steam Controller also works where the right track pad can be configured in mouse-look/trackball mode.

Top Bottom