• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma Demo Impressions

Bukana

Now that you can download the demo from the Japanese PSN with full English, you don't have to wait for Grace Chen's kindness.

After trying out the demo, I think it is a great game with great concept.

I am just so excited to see all the open and huge environments.

TIP: Try the CountrySide Quest first.

EDIT: Up on PSN&XBLA.

Averon

Can't wait for impressions because the gameplay videos I've seen thus far doesn't get me excited for this game at all.

Loofy

Can't wait for impressions because the gameplay videos I've seen thus far doesn't get me excited for this game at all.
Its like they could have made the game look interesting, but then the lead designer was like 'no, play elder scrolls again, it has to look like that.'

Riposte

Frankfurt making a bad post about Japanese games is a bit generic at this point.

JRPG, WRPG nonsense don't even matter here.

This is the Devil May Cry 3-4 guy making a more grounded action game with a free-roaming world and a quest log.

Its like they could have made the game look interesting, but then the lead designer was like 'no, play elder scrolls again, it has to look like that.'

I think it looks quite different, especially in execution. Elder Scrolls isn't nearly as slick and doesn't channel TSR DnD so much. A good looking rendition of that kind of art is actually rare in motion.

Hiltz

Is the game anything like Monster Hunter, at least in terms of its combat system?

I'm having a hard time trying to figure out what other series it can be compared to, if any at all. I agree that it is a bit odd for a Japanese dev attempting to make a non-highly stylized western-based action RPG. Anyway, Destructoid's recent impressions of the title were quite positive.

I was about to rush and try this but meh...it's too late being 1:30am. Not in the mood. But I'll do it tomorrow for sure. Don't want me being not in the mood to play to really cloud my judgement.

Riposte

Is the game anything like Monster Hunter, at least in terms of its combat system?

I'm having a hard time trying to figure out what other series it can be compared to, if any at all.

It seems with even the bigger weapons it is not as a weighty as Monster Hunter or Demon's Souls. I haven't played it yet and really, with a demo out, why have this conversation now lol.

Arcteryx

Little disappointed with the character creator. Was hoping for a more advanced mode to fine-tune stuff, but oh well. A lot of the pre-set stuff looks pretty mismatched.

That aside, like the combat and other aspects. Graphics were a little stuttery at times, but otherwise not bad.

Just finished the demo.

Not really feeling it to be honest, controls feel a bit loose and doesn't have the weight or impact I was expecting. Seems like it would have more tedium than challenge too based on what you need to do.

Maybe the demo just doesn't showcase the game well. Will still keep an eye on it but not so excited now I have played it. By no means bad, but not quite what I was expecting in a dark souls sense. May just need to realign my expectations to something that feels more actiony

burgerdog

Ah, didn't know that we made a demo thread. Pasting my last post from face sitters here.

It seems like only some normals could be canceled, I wasn't able to cancel a heavy attack. Need to experiment some more.
[] - Light attack
/_\ - Heavy
L1 + [], /_\, O - specials
R1 + [],/_\, O - specials
L2 - Sheath
R2 - Grab

You guys should try light combos with specials thrown in. Like SSx said, timing matters in order to do different combos so don't just mash buttons.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Well, let's just say that I'm glad Diablo III coming because it shames and steps all over this. It's just not for me.

I hope Capcorn has some success but this one may need a sequel or to really mature. If it makes it that far.

Skilletor

Ah, didn't know that we made a demo thread. Pasting my last post from face sitters here.

It seems like only some normals could be canceled, I wasn't able to cancel a heavy attack. Need to experiment some more.
[] - Light attack
/_\ - Heavy
L1 + [], /_\, O - specials
R1 + [],/_\, O - specials
L2 - Sheath
R2 - Grab

You guys should try light combos with specials thrown in. Like SSx said, timing matters in order to do different combos so don't just mash buttons.

You can tell the DMC influence when it comes to the "timing matters" in combos.

Demo played well, just worried about the challenge in the final game. Graphics aren't very good, but framerate seemed solid, at least.

dunno, really torn. I'll try again tomorrow with only one pawn through the dragon mission and see if I feel any different about the game.

Riposte

Well, let's just say that I'm glad Diablo III coming because it shames and steps all over this. It's just not for me.

I hope Capcorn has some success but this one may need a sequel or to really mature. If it makes it that far.

Those are rather different games. I am not even going to make a weak comparison between the two since I've played neither yet. However I have pretty much no interest in playing Diablo III and a strong interest in playing Dragon's Dogma.

I don't know what the character creator complaint is, the default character right off the bat looks pretty normal. Trying to craft something equivalent in Demon's/Dark Souls is a hellish experience of its own.

Kind of weird that you can make a child looking one though.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Those are rather different games. I am not even going to make a weak comparison between the two since I've played neither yet. However I have pretty much no interest in playing Diablo III and a strong interest in playing Dragon's Dogma.

For me, it all boils down to who gets my money. D3 destroys this game in battling for my money. I know what you mean on the differences though and basically was prepped to switch if this demo was that good but it's not even close.

As long as they can maintain the game and patch it with some DLC, I can see it having some momentum for a month or more. It needs some post game support though in the form of expansions. If possible. Unless it's not designed like a western game in which expansions feed the hungry masses post release.

This DL is all over the place. I walk away, come back almost thirty minutes later and it's gone up 2%. Then I check again five minutes later, 10%. Just now, 2% in twenty minutes. WTF?

burgerdog

Demo played well, just worried about the challenge in the final game. Graphics aren't very good, but framerate seemed solid, at least.

dunno, really torn. I'll try again tomorrow with only one pawn through the dragon mission and see if I feel any different about the game.

Go back to the face sitter thread and look for the latest OXM video, difficultly is one of the highlights of this game.

Riposte

For me, it all boils down to who gets my money. D3 destroys this game in battling for my money. I know what you mean on the differences though and basically was prepped to switch if this demo was that good but it's not even close.

As long as they can maintain the game and patch it with some DLC, I can see it having some momentum for a month or more. It needs some post game support though in the form of expansions. If possible. Unless it's not designed like a western game in which expansions feed the hungry masses post release.

Are you speaking as someone who's played the whole game or someone who's played the demo? I don't see what DLC has to do with it if you don't like the game. That's a judgement you make after you seen the whole game (assuming you like it enough to play it that far and want more).

For me, I can buy several games a month and not even feel it, so I don't particularly care about money.

Anteater

Cool, you could pretty much turn every UI thing off

It's still easy but at least the boss don't really die as fast and easier to tell what you're doing without pawns nuking it to death, lol

Toki767

Just got done playing both quests. Sword fighting is not for me. Using a bow is fun though and I'd like to try magic as well.

LProtag

It's a demo, it's not going to attempt to showcase massively tough battles.

Let's be a little honest, they really need to appeal to a wider audience in order to make sure the game sells well. Those kind of people would be turned off with something that's quite challenging straight off the bat in a demo. The kind of people who want difficulty in their games, well, hopefully they'd also be the kind of people to look with a more critical eye at coverage of the game and impressions beyond the demo.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.

The fu-... Wha... What?

You're top down WoW will be here shortly. This game is in no way generic and comparing the two is pointless. Thanks for your thoughts... guess you're done here then, eh?

Bukana

Boss fights are hard if you don't use the timing right, it's so awesome.
I am just sad that this isn't a co-op.

Top Bottom