• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma Demo Impressions

ironcreed

Banned
It gave me enough of a taste that I can tell it is what I wanted. It is basically what I have been watching in all of the footage, only I was in control this time. It plays and runs great and looks plenty good enough on the visual front. Especially the lighting and monster design, which is fantastic. The game is going to be amazing. At least for me anyway.

comrade

I just noticed a ton of Street Fighters names are in under monikers. Pretty epic.

Vergil, Dante, Lady, and Trish as well.

Damn, the Countryside Quest is over in a matter of minutes and leaves no room for exploration. Damned invisible walls. :(
These battles are pretty fun, though. Climbing the larger creatures is both cool and hilarious (was hanging off of the lion's chin by the end of the fight).

The game looks pretty good as well, reminds me a LOT of Demon's/Dark Souls, right down to the wonky framerate. lol

Arcteryx

Messing around a bit more, gotta say that the lightning is top notch. I won't lie: it rivals GT5 for me. Really loving the character details/clothing/artstyle.

There is some minor pop-in, but it might just be the demo build (lots of blocked off parts) being buggy.

Bukana

I just noticed a ton of Street Fighters names are in under monikers. Pretty epic.

Vergil, Dante, Lady, and Trish as well.

XCKha.gif

pelican

Well, let's just say that I'm glad Diablo III coming because it shames and steps all over this. It's just not for me.

I hope Capcorn has some success but this one may need a sequel or to really mature. If it makes it that far.

Err...Diablo III is a completely different type of game than this.

DD isn't a Dungeon Crawler loot whoring fest. D3 is.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
hmm, the first 4 control schemes swaps the shoulder buttons around so Type B has R1 for grab/shoot, and the L/R2 buttons as skills

.... i might actually have to go for that. I just replayed SotC off the psn the other day and grab is so fresh in my head as R1... feels gud.

ironcreed

Banned
Starting off as a Strider is going to be the shit. I want to be a quick and nimble stabby bastard with daggers and a bow, but will eventually be going Assassin. That way I can keep all those attributes, gain a few more, and will be able sword and board when I want as well. All the vocations call out to me, though. This game will have legs indeed.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Jumping on a griffin's back and hacking at it's neck while it's on fire is definitely something that could sell me on this game. Color me impressed.

ironcreed

Banned
Jumping on a griffin's back and hacking at it's neck while it's on fire is definitely something that could sell me on this game. Color me impressed.

Grabbing onto him and then crawling around as he takes flight is definitely a great experience. Show me another open world action/adventure/RPG hybrid that allows you to do shit like this. Yeah... generic my ass.

Grabbing onto him and then crawling around as he takes flight is definitely a great experience. Show me another open world action/adventure/RPG hybrid that allows you to do shit like this. Yeah... generic my ass.
I was hoping to take a ride on it, but its takeoff shook me off of it. Definitely like that aspect of it though. Demo's got me very interested in this now.

ironcreed

Banned
The Pawn AI is super effective. Always grabbing enemies for you to attack, healing you and telling you not to over do it when you run out of stamina, launching you onto the Griffin, etc. It all works great.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Reposting from the other thread:

Holy shit. I knew I would like this, but I think I'm in love. This may just be one of the coolest games I've ever played. Granted this is only a very tiny chunk, I think this game will be everything I hoped it would be. I love the visuals--the effects and lighting are incredible. I'm a sucker for some great medieval fantasy, and they just nailed the look in this game. The combat is fun and fast, but looks like it has a lot of room for tactical depth like the Demon's Souls/Dark Souls series. I'm really surprised at how polished everything is and how responsive the controls are.

Damn. I can't be more excited. I was pumped for Diablo III, and I still am, but it's going to the wayside as soon as I can get my hands on this.

ironcreed

Banned
I was hoping to take a ride on it, but its takeoff shook me off of it. Definitely like that aspect of it though. Demo's got me very interested in this now.

I climbed around on him for a good bit and attacked him until he came crashing down. Another time I was on his leg and he just so naturally kept shaking it and had me dangling while he was flying around. Just as I suspected, this game is going to have a lot of 'holy shit' moments, and a lot of funny ones as well.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Reposting from the other Dragon's Dogma thread:

There is a LOT of banding in the night sky...jeez. I love the way the enemies look and animate, even seeing stuff like the griffin flying far away casting a shadow, but some other aspects are pretty ugly. I've been running around the area they give you before you hit the invisible wall and there's quite a bit of popup, especially down in the area with a little bit of water. You're level 20 in the second segment and they're both extremely easy, but I'm liking the gameplay.

Also agree with the above to turn off the cinematic stuff. Really distracting and pulls you out.

I'll try it again on the 360 which is where I'm planning on getting it. I think as a demo it isn't a good showcase of the game in general.

Ratrat

Killed the griffin with the HUD turned off. Super awesome. Wish you could roll though. :( character creation ain't bad.

Sayah

I find the graphics to be quite gorgeous. That aside, though, I completed the quest by just holding onto the beast and mashing square which left me kind of disappointed.

It gave me enough of a taste that I can tell it is what I wanted. It is basically what I have been watching in all of the footage, only I was in control this time. It plays and runs great and looks plenty good enough on the visual front. Especially the lighting and monster design, which is fantastic. The game is going to be amazing. At least for me anyway.

*high-five*

Yeah, I don't think I've watched THIS much footage of a game leading up to release for a long time

Seen both Capcom Streams, OXM UK preview, German Previews, Gametrailers, etc.

Can't get enough of it and now I gotta fucking wait till I get home from work as the demo literally finished 5 minutes before I had to leave. Thankfully SSD installed it quick and I got to play it for 2 minutes lol.

Top Bottom