• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma Demo Impressions

Gbraga

Someone mentioned it before... but hold both triggers and hitting O/B lets to leap backwards with the fighter guy.

Too bad they don't add three more moves when holding down both triggers.

Using triggers as quick modifiers is pretty smart design, but having nothing really mapped to L1+R1+ buttons seems like wasted space.

Even if the game didn't have enough "moves" to fill these slots... it'd be cool to have items or equipment bound to them. Avoid having to mess around in the menu for common, menial things like using basic potion(s).

That's a really nice suggestion, I hope they'd listen to you.

Didn't know about the leap as well, can be useful since it seems that only the Strider has a dodge roll.

demigod

You're right! I played the PS3 version of the demo and the peformance wasn't detrimental to the several encounters throughout the demo, but you can't sit here and tell me or anyone else that the demo provided a smooth, consistent framerate. There were several occasions in the heat (and outside) of battle when the framerate would momentarily bog down or stutter, whether it be a poison mist spray here or a dragon breathing fire there, it wasn't truly consistent by any stretch of the imagination.

BS, it might not be 30fps on the PS3, but it IS consistent. I have NOT even stuttered once in DD. Go make a video of your framerate drops.

I didn't notice any framerate problems while playing the demo on PS3.

:shrug:

Only think I didn't like was the banding in the sky when it got dark.

ironcreed

Banned

Didn't know about the leap as well, can be useful since it seems that only the Strider has a dodge roll.

Magic Archer and Assassin can roll as well. Magic archer is a cross between Mage and Ranger, with magic arrows and you can wield a staff as a secondary weapon. The Assassin is a cross between Strider and Fighter that can wield swords and boards, daggers and a bow. Plus, you obviously have abilities that are unique to those specific vocations.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything

The leap is actually really useful. It doesn't cost stamina. And it's a safe move to use when you're against a mob or a tough enemy. Because blocking fixes your character's orientation, you don't have a lot of mobility. Or room for error. Lowering guard and trying to change your orientation can be troublesome in a tight fight. Leaping back keeps your guard up until just before you jump and returns guard as soon as you land. This few feet gives you a little room to breathe, allowing you to quickly lower guard to make a move -- or get your bearings.

Gbraga

Magic Archer and Assassin can roll as well. Magic archer is a cross between Mage and Strider, with magic arrows and you can wield a staff as a secondary weapon. The Assassin is a cross between Ranger and Fighter that can wield swords and boards, daggers and a bow. Plus, you obviously have abilities that are unique to those specific vocations.

Interesting! I guess I'll go with the Assassin. Double the ass

Grisby

I noticed some technical stuff the second time around. The framerate was a bit low but the image seemed a bit blurry and the colors washed out.

Wonder if the image looks sharper on the 360. Might have to give the demo a DL on there.

Patryn

I noticed some technical stuff the second time around. The framerate was a bit low but the image seemed a bit blurry and the colors washed out.

Wonder if the image looks sharper on the 360. Might have to give the demo a DL on there.

Expect tearing.

Ryuuga

Banned
BS, it might not be 30fps on the PS3, but it IS consistent. I have NOT even stuttered once in DD. Go make a video of your framerate drops.

I'm at work right now and had I been at home to accept this challenge I would still not have the resources to do so nor would I waste my time. People seem to be stuck on "consistency" but my original quote had to do with those settling on a notch lower than a steady 30 FPS. I'm willing to be proven wrong that the framerate is consistent which is why I'm awaiting a framerate analysis video. It's such a shame we've fallen to a point where 30 FPS is seen as "fine".

vg260

I feel like this game would be better served by saving it for a new system launch title if only just to smooth out the tech issues. I'm not familiar with the genre, but it felt too choppy for how chaotic it was (PS3). Maybe that's par for the course, but being smooth and full screen would help accessibility a ton. But then again, most of the games I play are much closer to 60 fps on console or computers, or a least a solid 30 fps v-synced on consoles. It probably wouldn't deter most people, I guess.

Syril

It boggles my mind that there are so many people that don't like the party chatter. It's something that I wish was in more RPGs considering it actually feels like, you know, a party of heroes instead of a hero and his mannequins...

My complaint isn't that they speak frequently. The characters in Xenoblade Chronicles never shut up either. My problem is that everything they say is a protip. No actual character or personality is being expressed here.

Dreweyes

I was bored...

E9p7i.jpg

Skilletor

I'm at work right now and had I been at home to accept this challenge I would still not have the resources to do so nor would I waste my time. People seem to be stuck on "consistency" but my original quote had to do with those settling on a notch lower than a steady 30 FPS. I'm willing to be proven wrong that the framerate is consistent which is why I'm awaiting a framerate analysis video. It's such a shame we've fallen to a point where 30 FPS is seen as "fine".

It's fine because it's standard on consoles. I don't see what's wrong with that. Especially in huge open world games.

If this game was on PC, 60fps or nothing.

Anteater

That's pretty awesome.

"Just Guard" surprised me when I found out I could do it when soloing the prologue boss. I got so EXCITE!

Yea that's an awesome mechanic, and it's actually really useful too, since blocking isn't always good against huge attacks (found out there's a stamina drain), I have a feeling Fighter is going to be hard as hell to use, took me quite a few fights to be able to block and parry anything.

I hope there are some skills to enhance your blocking to make them more rewarding, there is Mystic Knight with god damn fireball counter, I'm expecting good things!

demigod

Thought you'd come back and say that, lol. You don't like the sub 30fps? That's fine, but don't spread fud that there's framerate drops or *stutters*. Some people keep claiming there's framerate drops on PS3 but they haven't shown any proof. The 360 people already proved there's massive tearing with 1080p and slight tearing on 720p with vids.

ironcreed

Banned
It's fine because it's standard on consoles. I don't see what's wrong with that. Especially in huge open world games.

Thank you.

Are people really expecting an open world game like this to run faster than 30 FPS on consoles? As far as the PS3 version goes, it is not locked at 30, but it runs at a more than steady clip, and is more than fine for console standards in a game this big. Some of you are acting like it is some near unplayable mess that takes dips like Blight Town and that is complete bullshit. The footage proves it.

sammy

I've been pretty hyped for this game and the demo is so much fun. This new trend in Japanese developers delivering great western style fantasy is awesome.

Day one for sure, the combination of great combat and very well executed mythical beasts is enough for me to sign up. There's a strong Monster Hunter vibe to the boss battles then there's for sure a demon's/dark souls direction with all the active fighting animations. Next month can't come soon enough, I'm itching to explore the landscape.

Tex117

Banned
Played for a solid hour last night...solo'ed the Chimera...waitied for night for the Griffin.

Goodness, this game in an open world with the "adventuring" and "exploring" aspect is going to be epic (in the real sense of the word).

I can't wait for the difficulty to be turned up and there is use for all 3 pawns. (We all can admit, the party of 4 was too overpowered for this demo, but all accounts say the game is fairly difficult...so there will be a need). Oh, and previews have said, the weaker the pawns you use (or less), the more exp you get for each fight.

I really enjoyed the chaotic mess of the fights...People are screaming...things are happening all over the place....and there is fire...flying....blood.

Yup...I'm in...and this may very well enter my personal game of the year 2012 considerations.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Dunno what people are talking about with regards to the character creator not yielding much. Sure its a bit fiddly and nowhere near indepth as Demon's Souls and that ilk, but heres my main and pawn:

QtHgq.jpg
e5DrZ.jpg

I love the speed of being a Strider, but want some cool melee combat so not sure if I'm drawn to Assassin or Magick Archer the most overall. From what people say, magic is a very helpful. Hrrrm. Hope theres plenty of cool armours and costumes anyway. Why isn't it next month yet :/

LProtag

I'm not sure why everyone's clamoring for graphics comparisons/analysis when you guys can just see it for itself.

If it looks fine to you, is it really going to change your opinion of the game when someone does an analysis and says it's performing worse than how you thought it was?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Well you were lied to.

Hopefully an analysis of the demo will pop up soon so the "framerate is fine" crowd can be silenced for good.

"Framerate is fine" is highly subjective. I've got a pretty nice gaming PC that can play most games at 60fps. Obviously, higher framerates are preferred, but I found the Dragon's Dogma demo to be perfectly playable. I'd much rather play it on the PC where I know it would perform amazingly, but that doesn't appear to be in the cards right now, unfortunately.

Just played the PS3 demo. Went into it expecting very little and came away pleasantly surprised! I rode a flying griffon while stabbing it repeatedly in the ribcage. I mean, how cool is that? Definitely on my radar now.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

I have trouble believing that different PS3s would achieve different framerates with the demo, and on my PS3 there were certainly framerate issues. It was never close to being unplayable, but in the outdoors quest the framerate varied between 30 and 20 fps depending on which way I faced the camera. It was definitely not locked at 30 fps, nor at 20 fps (the difference between them is very easy to tell). And with the game being v-synced, it can't run at anything in-between either.

Patryn

I'm sure it's been asked but if I were to buy this or dark souls, which would be the better game?
Thanks.

It really depends on what you're looking for. They're both RPGs, but they're very different in approach. Dark Souls is about the combat and slowly exploring a world. Doesn't really do overtly marked quests, and not a lot of dialogue.

Dragon's Dogma has you working with a party (if you wish) and working a quest-based structure in an open-world. Sounds like a dash of Dark Souls, a pinch of Elder Scrolls, and a touch of Monster Hunter mixed together.

It also doesn't help that Dragon's Dogma isn't out for another month.

But most people would probably say Dark Souls.

ReaperXL7

I'm sure it's been asked but if I were to buy this or dark souls, which would be the better game?
Thanks.

I would think it's impossible to answer that until Dragons Dogma actually releases. They are different games though, Dragons Dogma is a completely open world, go anywhere do anything type of RPG. Dark Souls is more open the Demon's but not to the same extent as DD.

If your on the fence i'd say wait until Dogma comes out and see what others thing, then make your choice. Many will say Dark Souls simply due to the fact that people have actually played the full game, and because of that know much more about the overall gameplay, and mechanics.

Syril

I do hate the absolute ZERO visibility at night. I mean come on, when it's night, go out somewhere without streetlights & you can still see stuff. The sky would also be filled with bright stars that would light up a lot of the scenery.

Clearly Dragon's Dogma's planet is set in Spelljammer, and its crystal sphere has no moons and no balls of light stuck to the interior that are often mistaken as stars.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I do hate the absolute ZERO visibility at night. I mean come on, when it's night, go out somewhere without streetlights & you can still see stuff. The sky would also be filled with bright stars that would light up a lot of the scenery.

maybe there is simulated moon cycles and we'll get visible nights later on?

ultron87

I am now between this and TERA as my game choice that isn't Diablo for the month. They both seem like they could scratch a somewhat similar itch.

Marco1

Nobody has the game....so that's a stupid question.

Easy tiger, I am asking based on peoples time spent with the demo and who have also played dark souls.
I appreciate the other comments though. I didn't realise dogma is open world and party orientated.

Lain

Played the prologue and a bit of the campaign (I died with that Grifon lol). Game looks better than I actually thought and the combat feels nice enough, though I sort of feel like I'd prefer a sort of lock on.

I'm guessing the character and pawn we make in the demo won't be usable in the released game? It would be cool if it was usable.

Patryn

Easy tiger, I am asking based on peoples time spent with the demo and who have also played dark souls.
I appreciate the other comments though. I didn't realise dogma is open world and party orientated.

Demo is two short combat segments. You can seriously breeze through it in under 20 minutes. It lacks a look into a LOT of the mechanics of what the game is. There's no character building, no exploring, no talking to people and gaining quests, etc, etc.

Honestly, from what we know, it's actually a pretty shitty demo because it isn't super representative of what the game is going to be.

Patryn

Played the prologue and a bit of the campaign (I died with that Grifon lol). Game looks better than I actually thought and the combat feels nice enough, though I sort of feel like I'd prefer a sort of lock on.

I'm guessing the character and pawn we make in the demo won't be usable in the released game? It would be cool if it was usable.

Did you miss the part where it says that you'll be able to import your characters into the final game? That's the point of it. You can create your character now, and just pop them into the game when you get it and start right away.

Syril

When you fight small enemies, it feels like it aims your attacks towards them. I'm used to no lock-on from Monster Hunter, but the camera could stand to rotate faster. There wasn't a setting for that, was there?

Arcteryx

I've seen some screens that definitely don't look as dark as others. Perhaps they have phases of the moon? Either way, I think it fits the game perfectly, it really does add to the suspense when you can't see shit and all you can hear is some winged lion about to rip you in half.

Top Bottom