• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma Online revealed - PS3/PS4/PC, MMO-ish, F2P, 4-player parties

EGM1966

So Dragon's Dogma Guild Wars? Maybe interested but need to know more.

EDIT: wonder why no MS platforms? Cross platform play maybe?

Rymuth

But will it have a bitchin' OP song? That's the only thing I care about at this point.

I'm kidding, of course, I'm excited but golly gee do I want another 'Fly me into Free'

elyetis

I loved Dragon's Dogma.
I'm definitly ok with a pso-like/guild wars 1 aspect... and on PC fuck yeah. But...

F2P ? err I guess I mean I like dota 2, planetside 2 and few other F2P, so why not.

F2P by capcom ? I still have hope I guess.... but I already fear the game will cost more than a 60$ full release game if you really want to enjoy it without feeling limited... hope capcom will prove me wrong.

Micro transactions could be ok. They will probably just let you buy 20-30 different inventory systems to manage one set of items.

Then people can choose to pay and it Should be more streamlined than the original too.

I'm cautiously optimistic. But I still don't understand why they are making this and Deep Down. Are we certain they aren't the same game? (I know this has been already been answered but it seems really weird to me that they'd be making two very similar games with the same type of monetisation"

Visually it seems like it's gonna look pretty damn good.

The question is if Capcom can nail the F2P elements. PSO2 has been doing it reasonably well, and this sounds like a PSO-type game for all intents and purposes.

JNA

Banned
Really disappointed overall mostly.

Another game where we just want a damn sequal but instead gets turned into an MMO (ala SWTOR instead of KOTOR 3).

:(

Xenocthul

Okay, I looked at all the details.

Title: Dragon's Dogma Online
Platforms: PS3/PS4/PC
Genre: Action
Price: Free 2 Play (With microtransactions)
Producer: Minae Matsukawa
Director: Kento Kinoshita
Executive Producer: Hiroyuki Kobayashi

The game is an online game with a full open world, a lobby area supporting up to 100 players, and feature ongoing content updates, timed events, etc. Players can form parties of up to 4 players or pawns, and engage on quests. There will also be raid-like events which support up to 8 players at once. There will be quick matching as well.

Sounds pretty much like an online only MMO type game without the full MMO gameplay. Similar to stuff like PSO and Guild Wars.

I was expecting to be really disappointed with this announcement but after looking at those details I'm actually kind of looking forward to seeing how this goes.

The game is an online game with a full open world, a lobby area supporting up to 100 players, and feature ongoing content updates, timed events, etc. Players can form parties of up to 4 players or pawns, and engage on quests. There will also be raid-like events which support up to 8 players at once. There will be quick matching as well.

Sounds pretty much like an online only MMO type game without the full MMO gameplay. Similar to stuff like PSO and Guild Wars.
Sounds like Destiny.

GunBR

Why Capcom is making 2 F2P rpgs?
Ok, this will play in a different way than Deep Down, but still is strange

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
PS3 and PS4 only ?

Interesting. Looks like Sony and Capcom are firmly in bed now.

This will most likely be using the original DD assets and have a very quick turn around time.

MavFan619

Banned
I'm up and down on how I feel about all this as more info comes out. But my need for more Dragon's Dogma means I'll live with this because its day 1 regardless. Hopefully some of my friends play as well.

HIR0

F2P and online and no Itsuno kinda sucks.
Maybe he is working on Devil May Cry.
Will watch this game cautiously.

I'm cautiously optimistic. But I still don't understand why they are making this and Deep Down. Are we certain they aren't the same game? (I know this has been already been answered but it seems really weird to me that they'd be making two very similar games with the same type of monetisation"

Deep Down has the Animus-like theme going on whereas DD is pure fantasy.

deleted

Sounds good to me - Never played DD, but I always wanted to try it. PC version it is. Let's just hope it's a good F2P system and not something out of the SFxT book of micro transactions.

Karak

F2p brings its own feel to games and that is fine for sure and I love a couple F2P games. However I don't see how DD would even benefit or feel somewhat the same with F2P. So its really not DD despite what they are saying. I mean its more like some ideas from DD.

Even if they said it was all cosmetic stuff it still wouldn't feel the same as the low fantasy setting wasn't always about flaunting your crotchless armor.

Hmm I'm hopeful.
Sounds like Destiny.
Don't jinx it man!

duckroll

They also have Monster Hunter Frontier, which is a F2P action game. Expect pretty much all Capcom online games to be F2P, because selling it as a service model is something they prefer.

ViciousDS

Banned
if they build up the same systems as warframe does my cousin will end up spending for a grand on micro transactions. He LOVED the first one and can't imagine how much he would spend on the online version of it.

bebop242

No. Can people stop saying this? It's really annoying when the info is actually out.

Sorry for any ignorance but have they said for a fact that this isn't what Deep Down turned into? Like others have said, its just too similar between the two.

Im just glad they are doing something with this IP, it deserves a second chance.

Edit, saw some answers that were posted while I was typing. Makes sense.

sublimit

Banned
Now that i'm more calm i think this might turn out good,even great depending on how Capcom handles microtransactions.
Dragon's Dogma was one of my favorite games ever so i really want this to turn out as a worthy sequel even if it's F2P.

SparkTR

I wonder if they're going to do anything with the original, like a remaster, or if this is it for the DD franchise.

Qvoth

rip monster hunter online, i'm not going to give a damn about you anymore
GET HYPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

cheesekao

Sorry for any ignorance but have they said for a fact that this isn't what Deep Down turned into? Like others have said, its just too similar between the two.

Im just glad they are doing something with this IP, it deserves a second chance.
You should read through the thread man. It's already been debunked by one of Ono's tweets.

Top Bottom