• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma Online revealed - PS3/PS4/PC, MMO-ish, F2P, 4-player parties

Famitsu information translated?

Development for Dragon’s Dogma Online began with the goal of having something that can be played online.

Since Dragon’s Dogma Online couldn’t be developed simultaneously with Dark Arisen, Capcom decided to delay the online title a little bit.

Capcom initially thought about having Dragon’s Dogma Online use a monthly subscription fee, but decided go with a free-to-play model instead, as they wanted people to be able to access the game above all.

While it may be free-to-play, it will still have the essence of a proper Dragon’s Dogma game.

The story is completely new, and there won’t be any connections to characters from other Dragon’s Dogma titles.

At first, the world of the game will be about the same size as Dragon’s Dogma, but it will continue to grow through expansions. Capcom plan on having it grow up to three times larger.

After putting together a party of four in the lobby, the group will then head out together into the field.

Similar to parties in MMORPG titles, party set-ups will require the right roles in order to have a proper balance.

Yoshinori Ono also shared a comment in the interview, saying that Sony are cooperating with Capcom on the development of Dragon’s Dogma Online.

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/01/2...-eventually-three-times-larger-dragons-dogma/

Oh man the scans got my hyped.

Really like the look of those orc type enemies, and the water dragon thing looks sweet.

Graphics wise it looks the same as the original so hopefully it can be 1080p 60fps on PS4. I'd be happy with a solid 30fps though just because the original was hot garbage performance wise.

Now hurry up and announce a western release!

UrbanRats

I feel like the online model could backfire, given the design of the game, if there isn't an offline mode.
Mainly because it's not always easy to have a reliable 4 people group to play with, and for me DD was also a lot of exploring and taking my time messing around with stuff.

In something like PSO, you're more compelled to just run through the level as fast as possible, so you never feel like of your teammates is wasting your time, or, vice versa, feel pressured to run forward.

I feel like the online model could backfire, given the design of the game, if there isn't an offline mode.
Mainly because it's not always easy to have a reliable 4 people group to play with, and for me DD was also a lot of exploring and taking my time messing around with stuff.

In something like PSO, you're more compelled to just run through the level as fast as possible, so you never feel like of your teammates is wasting your time, or, vice versa, feel pressured to run forward.

From the beginning they've said that you can use AI pawns instead of other online players, so nothing to worry about there!

Lux R7

domwestcry.gif

GoaThief

I'm extremely (cautiously) optimistic for this given how amazing DD was. And to everyone worried about it being called f2p, isn't that sort of like Destiny is now?
Lol, no.

Proof will be in the pudding, I'd rather non F2P but I'll bite if it's great. I am concerned though.

Nemmy

Proof will be in the pudding, I'd rather non F2P but I'll bite if it's great. I am concerned though.

Pretty much how I feel right now.

The trailer looks hype. It actually seems like there's more detail to the characters and environments than in DD, but maybe I'm remembering it as looking worse than it did?

So yeah I am concerned, but I also really, really want for it to turn out good.
And to come to the West, FFS Capcom...

Keasar

Quick question, has there been any confirmation of grappling in DDO?

A Dragon's Dogma without the ability to pick up enemies/friendlies and throw them off cliffs is not my Dragon's Dogma.

aravuus

Haha, I done goofed again! Oh, me!

Seriously how could anybody think that tune is good

Cause it's fucking hilarious

You get 30 seconds of (fairly beautiful) piano and then something weird happens and it just keeps getting crazier and crazier

Keasar

Why don't you look for the numerous scans/screens and the trailer?

Because I did and didn't see anyone of the characters picking up/holding a enemy/friendly character? Because all I've seen so far was being able to climb monsters (which is good) and got curios if I had missed anything since its a feature I would miss if it was gone.

Could have just said "No, haven't heard/seen anything yet" and I would have been satisfied instead of being dismissive like I haven't actually tried finding anything.

Keasar

As someone who never played a Dragon Dogma game am I going to be confused with the storyline? Is there a storyline?

Last game had one but according to the article this is a new story without relation to the last. Hard to say then at this point.

As for the story in the first game, eh, there was a dragon, he had your heart, you had to kill him. Pretty much it apart from some weird events in-between and after.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Because I did and didn't see anyone of the characters picking up/holding a enemy/friendly character? Because all I've seen so far was being able to climb monsters (which is good) and got curios if I had missed anything since its a feature I would miss if it was gone.

Could have just said "No, haven't heard/seen anything yet" and I would have been satisfied instead of being dismissive like I haven't actually tried finding anything.

Your question was just not very well thought through in general, it looks and plays exactly like DD, grabbing things is an integral part of the gameplay.
Pawns have also been confirmed, and some of their most basic behavior was grabbing enemies, or picking up dead pawns out of your reach and bring them to you for resurrection.

There is no need to "confirm" this, you can assume it's in unless the inverse has been explicitely stated.

Keasar

Your question was just not very well thought through in general, it looks and plays exactly like DD, grabbing things is an integral part of the gameplay.
Pawns have also been confirmed, and some of their most basic behavior was grabbing enemies, or picking up dead pawns out of your reach and bring them to you for resurrection.

There is no need to "confirm" this, you can assume it's in unless the inverse has been explicitely stated.

I was asking because one of the thoughts was that it could possibly be cut out of the game as a possible grief tool against other players.

This is a MMO. It will have a fair share of annoying people. Since it also has quick matching with other people, odds are if you are playing alone you will be partnered up with someone who does not have all the right intentions of playing.

It would be considered very annoying and downright frustrating if during a important fight one of the players would decide to troll the entire party and one by one pick them up and throw them off a cliff. Laughing at their cries as they fall towards the bottom. Therefore, you would remove the feature to prevent that. And since I didn't see any screens of it happening, I was wondering if they possibly did.

So I would actually consider my question thought out in the interest of multiplayer design. I wouldn't myself do it against other players, but maybe once in a while when traveling with pawns who have too many opinions about everything.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
I was asking because one of the thoughts was that it could possibly be cut out of the game as a possible grief tool against other players.

This is a MMO. It will have a fair share of annoying people. Since it also has quick matching with other people, odds are if you are playing alone you will be partnered up with someone who does not have all the right intentions of playing.

It would be considered very annoying and downright frustrating if during a important fight one of the players would decide to troll the entire party and one by one pick them up and throw them off a cliff. Laughing at their cries as they fall towards the bottom. Therefore, you would remove the feature to prevent that. And since I didn't see any screens of it happening, I was wondering if they possibly did.

So I would actually consider my question thought out in the interest of multiplayer design. I wouldn't myself do it against other players, but maybe once in a while when traveling with pawns who have too many opinions about everything.

Well pawns would "shake" free of your grip eventually, I'm sure that players will be able to speed up that process.

It's just starting to sink in that this is japan only.

It's too big of an opportunity to pass up here. Unlike MH which genuinely struggles in the West, and still gets released, a decent amount of the total sales of DD were from the West. And with the console market in Japan dying and it being specifically released for consoles, not handhelds, it means Capcom would be stupid to not bring this out on the west where PS4/PC players are starving for games like these.

Top Bottom