• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma ships 1 million worldwide, plans to develop brand into franchise

Operation Raccoon City's sales suggest that the RE brand is still strong. I'd be surprised if RE6 doesn't do really well.
ORC missed it's [reduced] targets still, and got the biggest ad campaign in the US I've seen from Capcom since RE5. It's sales honestly aren't that suggestive of inherent brand strength, Capcom expected and likely budgeted for more.

RE5 hit almost six million.
5.8m until now but only 4.4m for it's first FY. Capcom expects 7m for RE6 by April.

I bet RE6 is going to end up selling less than RE5 did.

ironcreed

Banned
Hopefully it will have slow burn, but steady sales and pick up some word of mouth steam. The game is more than deserving of a sequel and has a hell of a foundation to build on.

soldat7

The game was ok. It could have been really special but they made far too many mistakes so hopefully a sequel and a PC version can fix them all.

It's a bit tedious to play and the screen tearing is an atrocity on the 360. Fun game, but it needs a lot of refinement.

bengraven

Better make a PC version and salvage it. Isn't that what they did with DR2 or did that sell well? I can't remember.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
ORC missed it's [reduced] targets still, and got the biggest ad campaign in the US I've seen from Capcom since RE5. It's sales honestly aren't that suggestive of inherent brand strength, Capcom expected and likely budgeted for more.

5.8m until now but only 4.4m for it's first FY. Capcom expects 7m for RE6 by April.

I bet RE6 is going to end up selling less than RE5 did.

Honestly, I think them gunning for 7 million with Resident Evil 6 isn't out of the question. The trailers alone get thousands to millions of views in just a few days on Youtube alone when they pop up. The game seems to have strong advertising that's going to only get stronger, online co-op is going to sell a lot of people, Chris and Leon being in the same game is going to sell a lot of people, it being a numbered title will sell more... I mean, this is one of the few games out there where literally almost everyone I know is picking it up. I have a wide circle of gaming friends with very ranged tastes, so when I see them all buying a game and being excited for it, that's a good personal sign for me to know the game is going to be fairly big. Some of them are more game savy than others. I can't speak for everyone, but I know more of the people I know are picking up Resident Evil 6 than people who picked up Resident Evil 5 back a few years ago.

Now Dragon's Dogma is a new IP. Out of everyone I personally know only I and one other person picked it up. Most people I ask don't seem to know about it or aren't interested. I've heard some tell me it looks like a poor rip-off of Skyrim or Dark Souls, sadly.

Epcott

Heh, my mom bought this last week. I suppose I should finally follow her example after I finish this backlog.

So are these ship numbers good for a new IP?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Heh, my mom bought this last week. I suppose I should finally follow her example after I finish this backlog.

So are these ship numbers good for a new IP?

They're good for a new IP, no doubt, especially one with some mixed reviews. But because of the large size of the development team and the length of development the game took, it might be a bit lower than what they're hoping for in the long-run.

Well we might get a Revelations 2 at this rate...

Not great figures at all; and its not exactly sold all of that :/ Not quite the new brand some thought then.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
As soon as they put it out on PC I'll gladly pick it up. I'm not going to find myself compelled to double dip like Dark Souls again.

Zaptruder

Banned
This is the action RPG of the forever.

I'm not even kidding. Diablo is just a parlor trick compared to this game - the only thing Diablo has on this is a loot system that is highly refined. You think you're having fun, until you play this game - and you realise you were just hooked on some dumb loot mechanics and the core gameplay... is actually trash!

Seriously though, any self respecting gamer that enjoys RPGs on any level would do well to pick this shit up. 20 years of game evolution and hybridization pays off big time with this game. Don't fucking wait for PC if you don't have to - respect yourself more and get this shit now. Double dip when it comes out on PC so you can relive the awesome again!

Fuck... this is probably the first console game where I go crazy and splurge on DLC.

Averon

If Capcom decides to continue the franchise, I can see them moving it to handhelds. Maybe build it up as a second tier to MH.

I'm not even kidding. Diablo is just a parlor trick compared to this game - the only thing Diablo has on this is a loot system that is highly refined. You think you're having fun, until you play this game - and you realise you were just hooked on some dumb loot mechanics and the core gameplay... is actually trash!

Seriously though, any self respecting gamer that enjoys RPGs on any level would do well to pick this shit up. 20 years of game evolution and hybridization pays off big time with this game. Don't fucking wait for PC if you don't have to - respect yourself more and get this shit now. Double dip when it comes out on PC so you can relive the awesome again!

Fuck... this is probably the first console game where I go crazy and splurge on DLC.

yeah!!

buy this game~

Foxix Von

If Capcom decides to continue the franchise, I can see them moving it to handhelds. Maybe build it up as a second tier to MH.

What? The way the game is structured doesn't suit handhelds well in the slightest. In order to turn it into a good portable game you'd have to butcher it. So much of the game is just traveling from place to place for extended periods of time, it would make for an incredibly boring game to take on the go. Can current portable devices even replicate the same kind of lighting necessary for the experience as a whole to work? You'd practically have to tear it down to just the combat. I mean heck there are skills and abilities in DD built solely around the lighting engine.

Basically this. The game is downright fuck awesome. If you have ever enjoyed an RPG you owe it to yourself to at least try this game.

Zaptruder

Banned

Not saying this is impossible... but that would be one hell of a bone head decision.

Plus, they already have monster hunter... which really should be a console title anyway!

Balliiiiiiiiiing....

This game for me, has literally cemented itself in the top 10 or top 15 games of 2012 so far. The only argument is where it will place when the calendar has ran out, but there's no doubt it deserves to be there.

Awesome classes. Brilliant night time setting. Virtually the best RPG combat system created and the best Dragon boss and insane story since Drakengard 1.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I love Dragon's Dogma and I really hoped they would continue on it. It has a lot of flaws that could be greatly improved upon in a sequel. Very happy to hear this news.

This guy!

demigod

Diablo 3 is boring as shit. I stopped at lvl 54. DD is a great game but I think so many people are turned off by it because of the Pawn system.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey

Listen to this man, people.

ezekial45

Banned
Franchise eh? Dragon Dogma Vita with 4 player coop please.

Why would they do that? They've built the audience on consoles, and offering it on a handheld that not that many people have will hurt them.

Plus, a sequel will be easier for them to make now. Since they've already gotten the framework down.

Boss Man

This update is a good update.
3AQmK.gif

We need for deep, new IPs with this much effort put into them to do well. Gotta give developers a reason not to make 5 hour long COD clones every year.

Anuxinamoon

Shaper Divine

-snip-

I want to quote this because it is exactly what I feel about this game.

Grats on the team who developed this gem! I look forward to sequels!

Aselith

I dunno if this is the right game to try to make into a franchise. It's name I just don't think is iconic enough to be a franchise. Stuff like Monster Hunter and Dead Rising have these very simple, expressive names that are easy for people to remember and very on the nose about what the game is. I don't think Dragon's Dogma is a name that will stick with people.

Great game though so hopefully I'm wrong.

The other problem is that the game doesn't really have any "CHARACTERS!" like Frank West or a Master Chief that is really going to stick with people.

dbry_yes_yes.gif

Woo! I really love the game, just 100%'d the achievements last night. I was worried they weren't gonna be happy with the sales etc but now I'm a little more confident such an awesome game has a chance to carry on.

The potential for the core awesomeness with a couple of things 'fixed up' in a sequel has me VERY excited.

Don't worry about DLC expansion just get to work on sequel I think.

Wildesy

They never expected 10mil sales. It was just something one of the developers said. Along the lines of, "It'd be nice if it sold 10 million copies."

Quote for clarity;

"It's difficult, because we really want this game to sell 10 million units worldwide. We want to sell a lot, and that's just something that we think we can do. We're not positive [it will be a success]. Of course it's a risk, but that's what we want - a challenge."

mollipen

I'd really like to see Capcom take another stab at this series and make up for the first game's ridiculous pawn system, so hopefully we'll see a Dragon's Dogma 2. Unless, of course, they haven't realized how terrible that aspect of the game was. *heh*

Fix that, and some other things, and this could be a very interesting franchise.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'd really like to see Capcom take another stab at this series and make up for the first game's ridiculous pawn system, so hopefully we'll see a Dragon's Dogma 2. Unless, of course, they haven't realized how terrible that aspect of the game was. *heh*

Fix that, and some other things, and this could be a very interesting franchise.

They've said they intend to make it a franchise, so the only question now really is what platform it will be on.

The 3DS or cellphones might make more sense since the series really only seems to only have sold well in Japan, but its budget is way too high for a title that is targeted solely at that market.

That said, given the nature of the game, it might be hard to port that over, but they did take an approach like E.X Troopers to Lost Planet in Japan following Lost Planet 2's success there.

The other option is to just pour more money in and hope it catches on globally the second time.

Alucrid

Banned

What's so terrible about the pawn system? Could it be implemented better? Sure, but I don't think there was anything so wrong with it that it warrants a removal of it (which I assume is what you're saying for a sequel). I liked walking around and seeing tons of different pawns everywhere, throwing them off cliffs, etc. and they provided a crucial plot point for the story. I didn't think they were terrible in combat either, once you found good ones and set your pawn with the right temperament and skills I found them to be pretty useful.

Pooya

This game was developed with the goal of creating another pillar of earnings for Capcom alongside "Monster Hunter" and "Sengoku BASARA"

maybe I'm reading too much into this, but putting DD next to MonHun and Sengoku Basara as "another pillar" doesn't bode well for the future of the series outside of Japan. This tells me future of the series would be Japan centric and they might won't bother with the rest of the world.

Dresden

What's so terrible about the pawn system? Could it be implemented better? Sure, but I don't think there was anything so wrong with it that it warrants a removal of it (which I assume is what you're saying for a sequel). I liked walking around and seeing tons of different pawns everywhere, throwing them off cliffs, etc. and they provided a crucial plot point for the story. I didn't think they were terrible in combat either, once you found good ones and set your pawn with the right temperament and skills I found them to be pretty useful.

I've had pawns in all three roles (bow, melee, mage) and they've all performed admirably. Love the system, hope they keep it.

Only significant complaint I'd have is that the inclination system isn't obvious at all at the start. Who'd have known that Guardian would be a terrible trait to have?

Sojgat

My understanding was that Capcom invested so much into this game, that unless it totally bombed, a sequel of some sort was a given anyway. I just picked the game up for cheap yesterday because a lot of people here seem to love it, I hope it's good.

Top Bottom