• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drawn to Life: the next Chapter heads to Wii and DS

Sadist

Draw the Ultimate Hero with a Wii Remote™ Wave or a Swipe of the Stylus™ in Drawn to Life®: The Next Chapter™

Popular Franchise Makes Its Wii™ Video Game Console Debut

AGOURA HILLS, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--THQ Inc. (NASDAQ: THQI) today announced the next addition to its incredibly successful Drawn to Life® franchise, Drawn to Life®: The Next Chapter™ is currently in development exclusively for Wii™ and Nintendo DS™. Featuring an innovative new action drawing feature and enhanced drawing tools, Drawn to Life: The Next Chapter will give players new creative tools and immerse them into new worlds they create and explore. The game is scheduled for release in fall 2009.

“Drawn to Life continues to be tremendously successful because it delivers a creative experience unlike any other game out there. Gamers of all ages love drawing their hero and seeing all of their creations come to life in the game, making it their own unique experience,” said Randy Shoemaker, vice president, global brand management. “Drawn to Life: The Next Chapter raises the creative bar with a totally new experience for both Wii and Nintendo DS fans alike.”

About Drawn to Life: The Next Chapter

In Drawn to Life: The Next Chapter for Wii, players will draw their own heroes using the Wii Remote™ to find the Artifacts of Power and rid the Raposa village of an evil, shadowy figure that has taken over the land. Throughout the game, players will draw more than 100 unique items from robust drawing tools, such as vehicles, weapons and tools, to conquer their enemies. The all-new Action Drawing tool allows for objects to be drawn directly into the game to help navigate through several environments, including a sky world, a jungle and a shadow city. In addition, the game’s multi-player feature will allow players to draw their team members and equipment to compete against others in a variety of mini-games, such as soccer, hockey and basketball.

In Drawn to Life: The Next Chapter for Nintendo DS, players will be able to draw their own heroes, be it humans, animals or multi-limbed creatures, and will embark on a brand new adventure aboard a Turtle Ship to defeat the evil Wilfre and restore color to the Raposa civilization. Players will have the ability to morph their hero into a blob or a spider, adding more gameplay and allowing for players to play each level a variety of different ways. The game’s Action Drawing Tool gives each color special properties when drawing objects into the game to help solve puzzles and progression through the game. Along the way, they will collect coins and color drops to unlock a variety of content, including challenges and quests, customization options and hero abilities. In addition, the game’s multi-player aspect allows players to trade heroes, weapons, items and accessories with friends.

For more information, visit http://www.drawntolife.com.

About THQ

THQ Inc. (NASDAQ: THQI) is a leading worldwide developer and publisher of interactive entertainment software. The company develops its products for all popular game systems, personal computers and wireless devices. Headquartered in Los Angeles County, California, THQ sells product through its global network of offices located throughout North America, Europe and Asia Pacific. More information about THQ and its products may be found at www.thq.com.

THQ, Drawn to Life: The Next Chapter and their respective logos are trademarks and/or registered trademarks of THQ Inc.

Wii and Nintendo DS are trademarks of Nintendo.

All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

The statements contained in this press release that are not historical facts may be “forward-looking statements” within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. These forward-looking statements are based on current expectations, estimates and projections about the business of THQ Inc. and its subsidiaries (collectively referred to as “THQ”), including, but not limited to, expectations and projections related to the Drawn to Life: The Next Chapter video game, and are based upon management’s current beliefs and certain assumptions made by management. Such forward-looking statements are subject to risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from those expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements, including, but not limited to, business, competitive, economic, legal, political and technological factors affecting our industry, operations, markets, products or pricing. Readers should carefully review the risk factors and the information that could materially affect THQ’s financial results, described in other documents that THQ files from time to time with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including its Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q and Annual Report on Form 10-K for the fiscal period ended March 31, 2009, and particularly the discussion of risk factors set forth therein. Unless otherwise required by law, THQ disclaims any obligation to update its view on any such risks or uncertainties or to revise or publicly release the results of any revision to these forward-looking statements. Readers are cautioned not to place undue reliance on these forward-looking statements, which speak only as of the date of this press release.

Two screens and boxart here

schlew

Stumpokapow said:
note: no 5th cell logo on box art, no mention of developer.

Well, for what it's worth, Nintendo doesn't allow the developer (if different from the publisher) to be noted on the front of the box.

schlew

Kifimbo said:
I might be wrong, but 5th Cell doesn't seem to be involved with Drawn to Life anymore.

There was the Spongebob Draw to Life game, of which 5th Cell didn't develop.

I hope they're on board, but it's a good enough concept that in the right hands could become a very great game regardless.

pakkit

Banned
schlew said:
Well, for what it's worth, Nintendo doesn't allow the developer (if different from the publisher) to be noted on the front of the box.
I think if 5th Cell was developing they'd mention it in the PR.

Jme

No 5th Cell is a good thing, it only means they are working on something more badical and new. I'd much rather play Scribblenauts than a sequel to Drawn To Life.

That said, I'll definitely get the DS version of this -- maybe the Wii version depending on reviews.

For a moment I was worried that the Wii version and DS version would be basically the same game. I am glad to see this franchise continue, and it does look like sales of de Blob and the like were enough to encourage THQ to continue to support the Wii. Other than EA it seems like its the only western developer who does the two Nintendo systems any justice.

Looks like the Wii one uses 2D drawings as well. I wonder if it will stick to 2D or there will be Super Paper Mario type trickery.

EDIT: Actually, in the Wii screen the head on the left looks a bit different than the drawn head, like its slight rotation is causing it to appear thinner. Whatever that means outside the editor.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Jackson said:
5th cell is doing the ds one, not the wii one.

The first game was really great. But if there was one thing I ask... no, I beg of you, PLEASE allow for some "default" designs to be used in case you don't want to draw the item in question.

Drawing your hero/weapons/machines/first few items? Fun! Having a new thing every single level isn't so much fun if you just want to get on with playing the game.

You can make them purposely rubbish if you want to entice the player into making their own (better) designs, though, but it's just for those of us who at some point want to just get on with playing the game itself.

Jackson

DTL2 DS is a completely new game from the ground up, trust me. It's pretty awesome. It's very different from the original we did. Tomorrow more news will drop on it.

Planet Moon is making the Wii version.

Jackson said:
DTL2 DS is a completely new game from the ground up, trust me. It's pretty awesome. It's very different from the original we did. Tomorrow more news will drop on it.

Planet Moon is making the Wii version.

Can't wait, really enjoyed the first one.

Erm... will there be any more Lock's Quest games?

adg1034

Jackson said:
We aren't working on any, at least :)

Planet Moon-developed Wii sequel confirmed.

And here's hoping DTL2 can be a return to form for them; Giants: Citizen Kabuto and Armed and Dangerous were amazing games.

Jackson

adg1034 said:
Planet Moon-developed Wii sequel confirmed.

And here's hoping DTL2 can be a return to form for them; Giants: Citizen Kabuto and Armed and Dangerous were amazing games.

it'll be confirmed tomorrow anyway :)

adg1034

Jackson said:

Congratulations- 5th Cell has officially entered into the created-multiple-milkable-IPs phase of its existence. The next step is usually something along the lines of succumbing to abject hubris, but here's hoping you guys can just skip over that part.

And I'm glad THQ can finally recognize a good thing when it sees one.

birdchili

schlew said:
that's ridiculous. more dev recognition would be so very good for this industry.

Ramenman

Stumpokapow said:
note: no 5th cell logo on box art, no mention of developer.

When I saw the title I thought "what ? 5th Cell has the manpower to be doing such an ambitious project as Scribblenauts and a DTL sequel for Wii & DS ?"

I guess that explains it.

Fake edit : Okay, they're still doing the DS one.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I don't really think drawing flailing the Wii remote in the air would work very well... we'll se though, I'm interested.

jrricky

Banned
Jackson said:
Out of curiosity Jackson, I never asked this before, but what work do you do for this awesome team (besides being awesome and chatting with GAFFERS)?

I'm sad that I had to trade in Lock's Quest the other day after playing it to the brim, but I needed the cash for Punch Out. What Im trying to say is that I need MORE Locks Quest. One on the Wii would suffice too.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
jrricky said:
Out of curiosity Jackson, I never asked this before, but what work do you do for this awesome team (besides being awesome and chatting with GAFFERS)?

I'm sad that I had to trade in Lock's Quest the other day after playing it to the brim, but I needed the cash for Punch Out. What Im trying to say is that I need MORE Locks Quest. One on the Wii would suffice too.

jackson =
big%20boss%20salute.JPG

Jackson

Stumpokapow said:
jackson =
big%20boss%20salute.JPG
:lol

I'm Jeremiah Slaczka, the Creative Director and Co-Founder of 5TH Cell and the guy who came up with the original concepts for Drawn to Life, Lock's Quest and Scribblenauts.

jrricky

Banned
Jackson said:

that's correct.

I'm the Creative Director and Co-Founder of 5TH Cell and the guy who came up with the original concepts for DTL, LQ and Scribblenauts
Wowow!:D

have anything else that you came up with that you are not telling us? :p

EDIT: I know you guys are not developing the Wii version and that you didnt develop the Spongebob version, but are you and did you oversee the these versions somehow?

pakkit

Banned
Jackson said:

that's correct.

I'm the Creative Director and Co-Founder of 5TH Cell and the guy who came up with the original concepts for DTL, LQ and Scribblenauts
Never before has an avatar been so well-deserved.

Planet Moon on the Wii version, eh? We'll see, their Wii output thus far has been spotty (Smarty Pants was fun, but overpriced, and Battle of the Bands was haphazardly thrown together).

santouras

Jackson said:

that's correct.

I got DTL after some good noise and found it cool. I got LQ the other day cause I found out you posted on gaf and thought, better support the independent gaffers :) Haven't played it yet but sounds like its well respected. Look forward to seeing what else you guys do

Dragmire

It would be cool if the Wii version could link up to the DS so you could draw on the DS instead of with the Wii Remote. But that almost defeats the purpose of a Wii version, I guess.

And those Wii screens look.... simplistic. I think a more hand-drawn, Yoshi's Island look would be better for the Wii game and they could still make it 3D by using layers and stuff.

Jackson said:

that's correct.

Jackson = The Big Bang(not the theory, the event)

Eteric Rice

comedy bomb said:
There's a trailer too.

The first one was OK. I think this might not work so well on the Wii though.

I have to agree here. Games built for a handheld need to stay off of consoles.

I want to see 5th Cell do a full Wii game.

I wonder how different the Wii/DS versions will be? I'd consider a double dip if there's a big enough difference.

Otherwise, I think I'll end up going with the DS version.

Top Bottom