• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DrDisrespect permanently banned from Twitch [Now Streaming on YouTube]

Zoro7

Banned
The amount of money this guy makes from donations. I tuned in for 15 minutes and there was a steady stream of donations and one person donated $1k.

he says he still doesn't know and it's giving him anxiety

Twitch did say he violated the TOS back in June but wasn't specific about it.

The fact that theyve said nothing is a huge red flag towards twitch at this point. Ive never once seen a high profile streamer get banned without a reason being publicly announced. I cant think of one time except this one.

Heres what im positive happened: Twitch saw that Mixer died and money bags werent gonna be thrown around anymore. They knew that those streamers would very likely come back to twitch (shroud, Ninja, Ewok, etc) so they started to wonder why they even gave Doc the big bucks to begin with. So because they have extremely loose TOS, they cancelled his contract to get out of paying him and said nothing, knowing that everyone would just believe that Doc did something stupid again.

Now theyre probably in court fighting for him to get paid, so they probably cant say anything now anyway.

I think they fucked him over. And they know people still remember that toilet incident so they'll all just believe he did something again.

And why is this thread still going? Damn

Last edited:

TheContact

The fact that theyve said nothing is a huge red flag towards twitch at this point. Ive never once seen a high profile streamer get banned without a reason being publicly announced. I cant think of one time except this one.

Heres what im positive happened: Twitch saw that Mixer died and money bags werent gonna be thrown around anymore. They knew that those streamers would very likely come back to twitch (shroud, Ninja, Ewok, etc) so they started to wonder why they even gave Doc the big bucks to begin with. So because they have extremely loose TOS, they cancelled his contract to get out of paying him and said nothing, knowing that everyone would just believe that Doc did something stupid again.

Now theyre probably in court fighting for him to get paid, so they probably cant say anything now anyway.

I think they fucked him over. And they know people still remember that toilet incident so they'll all just believe he did something again.

And why is this thread still going? Damn

that's occam's razor for sure.
the thread at this point is more about him streaming and speculation because there hasn't been any official word on why. i just don't think there's another thread dedicated to Doc here.

LQX

I remember when MS started buying up these popular streamers I by chance caught a Doc stream and he went on a spiel about how he would never leave Twitch no matter how much he was offered as it is the best platform, yada-yada-yada....only for Twitch to fuck him over(if he actually did noting to warrant the ban). Those dudes that took those contracts made out sweet and I bet he was also offered a nice deal also. Fuck being loyal to some billion dollar company. Look out for your damn self. Now he is one of the biggest streamers with likely one of the smallest contracts as he likely just took whatever YouTube offered.

Grinchy

Banned
Doc should fire everyone involved in getting him that Twitch contract if it allowed for him to just lose it without explanation at any time based on a flimsy "TOS violation" excuse without the need to even specifically state what the violation was.

Even Ninja and Shroud got fully paid out on their Mixer contracts without even having to stream anymore. So the people who put those contracts together knew what they were doing. Doc's contract must have been so shitty that it allowed for Twitch to just stop paying him any time they felt like it.

HoegLaw

Doc should fire everyone involved in getting him that Twitch contract if it allowed for him to just lose it without explanation at any time based on a flimsy "TOS violation" excuse without the need to even specifically state what the violation was.

Even Ninja and Shroud got fully paid out on their Mixer contracts without even having to stream anymore. So the people who put those contracts together knew what they were doing. Doc's contract must have been so shitty that it allowed for Twitch to just stop paying him any time they felt like it.

There isn't anything even the best lawyers in the world can do to stop one party or the other from doing what they will. ("It's just words on the page" is how I tend to explain contracts to clients.) All those lawyers can do in those contracts is give you the weaponry you need to fight bad acts. I have little doubt that Dr. Disrespect's contract had specific breach requirements, but even if Twitch used a pretextual reason, the Disrespect team would then have to go fight for his funds. A fight which would be publicly silent in much the way we are presently observing.

Grinchy

Banned
There isn't anything even the best lawyers in the world can do to stop one party or the other from doing what they will. ("It's just words on the page" is how I tend to explain contracts to clients.) All those lawyers can do in those contracts is give you the weaponry you need to fight bad acts. I have little doubt that Dr. Disrespect's contract had specific breach requirements, but even if Twitch used a pretextual reason, the Disrespect team would then have to go fight for his funds. A fight which would be publicly silent in much the way we are presently observing.
But doesn't it seem like the contracts that Ninja and Shroud had must have been better? At least in the sense that it was less worth fucking them over and making them come after the rest of the "guaranteed" money because it was so much more clear based on the wording of the contracts that they would win anyway?

I'm just trying to understand why one party gets a contract honored and another party is told, "Bring your best lawyers and see if you can get even a fraction of what we guaranteed you." Twitch must feel like the wording helps their positioning in an inevitable legal battle compared to Microsoft/Facebook (after acquisition) who just paid out in full.

Portugeezer

But doesn't it seem like the contracts that Ninja and Shroud had must have been better? At least in the sense that it was less worth fucking them over and making them come after the rest of the "guaranteed" money because it was so much more clear based on the wording of the contracts that they would win anyway?

I'm just trying to understand why one party gets a contract honored and another party is told, "Bring your best lawyers and see if you can get even a fraction of what we guaranteed you." Twitch must feel like the wording helps their positioning in an inevitable legal battle compared to Microsoft/Facebook (after acquisition) who just paid out in full.
Words can be manipulated. That's what the lawyers are for (on either side).
Messi also felt that wording allowed him to leave Barcelona for free; currently he is enjoying another year at Barcelona :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
For a lot of the big streamers playing with other streamers and being able to compete in tournaments is a huge part of building their brand. Right now Doc is missing out. Even if he can find good success on YouTube, the Twitch ban still hampers his opportunities.

For a lot of the big streamers playing with other streamers and being able to compete in tournaments is a huge part of building their brand. Right now Doc is missing out. Even if he can find good success on YouTube, the Twitch ban still hampers his opportunities.

What keeps them from competing with each other still. Is it a pre-requisite to be on the same streaming platform to compete?

Andodalf

Banned
What keeps them from competing with each other still. Is it a pre-requisite to be on the same streaming platform to compete?

Competitions want to be able to talk about or show people in said competitions. Showing a banned person on Twitch means you automatically get banned. Twitch is run by garbage individuals.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Partnered Twitch streamers can't stream with Doc since he is banned. For day to day streaming that kills opportunities to stream with people Shroud, Timthetatman, Nickmercs, etc. Solo streams get views but streaming with another popular streamer does help elevate those numbers.

If he is in a Warzone Duos tournament he can't be paired with anyone on the Twitch platform. For tournaments where teams are randomly assigned that adds complexity. That limits him to people on YouTube and Facebook. There are only a handful of other big streamers on those platforms. Skill is one thing, but clout is another. That's how most people find partners-otherwise you are largely reliant on knowing someone at that skill level who doesn't stream. That's really limiting for him but not insurmountable.

What really kills it is when a sponsored tournament is being broadcast on Twitch. A lot of brands will actually broadcast/commentate their tournament from their official Twitch page. When they do that, that automatically makes Doc ineligible.

Andodalf

Banned
Partnered Twitch streamers can't stream with Doc since he is banned. For day to day streaming that kills opportunities to stream with people Shroud, Timthetatman, Nickmercs, etc. Solo streams get views but streaming with another popular streamer does help elevate those numbers.

If he is in a Warzone Duos tournament he can't be paired with anyone on the Twitch platform. For tournaments where teams are randomly assigned that adds complexity. That limits him to people on YouTube and Facebook. There are only a handful of other big streamers on those platforms. Skill is one thing, but clout is another. That's how most people find partners-otherwise you are largely reliant on knowing someone at that skill level who doesn't stream. That's really limiting for him but not insurmountable.

What really kills it is when a sponsored tournament is being broadcast on Twitch. A lot of brands will actually broadcast/commentate their tournament from their official Twitch page. When they do that, that automatically makes Doc ineligible.

Sounds like a lot of monetary damages if he was found to be banned from the platform illegally in an attempt to void his contract

But he is not streaming on Twitch, so unless they have a cam of him on the Twitch streamer side, how can this be enforced. Most streams have the cam of the streamer and noone else. I guess you could still get his voice comms, but that seems like shaky ground for the Twitch streamer to get in trouble. Granted they may want to be on the good graces of Twitch, but would that strictly be prohibited by the TOS.

I know that several streamers regularly have people on voice comms that don't stream at all.

What I'm saying is that most of those players are probably gaming via Steam and most likely using a voice service like Discord, so not even using Twitch other than a medium to broadcast.

I don't really know the Twitch rules, but would find it surprising that it goes that in depth.

Andodalf

Banned
But he is not streaming on Twitch, so unless they have a cam of him on the Twitch streamer side, how can this be enforced. Most streams have the cam of the streamer and noone else. I guess you could still get his voice comms, but that seems like shaky ground for the Twitch streamer to get in trouble. Granted they may want to be on the good graces of Twitch, but would that strictly be prohibited by the TOS.

I know that several streamers regularly have people on voice comms that don't stream at all.

What I'm saying is that most of those players are probably gaming via Steam and most likely using a voice service like Discord, so not even using Twitch other than a medium to broadcast.

I don't really know the Twitch rules, but would find it surprising that it goes that in depth.

If you streamed a game you played with Doc you would be banned.

HoegLaw

I don't think it means that the contracts were better. Most likely its representative more of the fact that MS was just getting out of the business all together. Since they wanted to "cash out" there was likely no appetite for lawsuits and the like (and is one reason why they got full payouts). The other, more real politik, answer is that Twitch and MS are not the same entity. Different entities will have a different tolerance for "aggressive" contract disputes, depending on the context.

Top Bottom