• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DrDisrespect wants $100k NFT's in game, calling people "brain dead" if you do not agree

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
kvAagQS.png

I'd like to see how he comes up with the valuation of said items. And how would they protect these "valuable" items from cheaters that are ruining basically every competitive online game there is? But I can totally understand why he finds the concept to exciting, especially as a developer.

7wTR62B.png

Lock and punch me in the dick if discussed.

EDIT: No idea why it says "tweet unavailable" for me, so I'll upload a screenshot instead. The tweet is still online, though.

Last edited:
In a world where there is no such thing as cheating and the term NFT doesn't already just immediately make it cringe and dead on arrival. The actual notion of having a loot based extraction game like Tarkov where you can actually extract out with something worth a certain amount of money, is obviously actually an interesting concept. But there is no way it can ever be achieved currently in a fair environment.

VN1X

Banned
When has this dude ever said something sensible?
He's a terrific streamer, hilarious one at that but he fails to realize how this would ruin his game. Not because it "wouldn't work", because in concept it might very well, but for some reason he's completely missing how Deadrop would be infested with cheaters if they'd go this route.

Extraction shooters are already incredibly hardcore at the best of times and dying during a raid is a huge downer but dying to cheaters kills entire communities (see The Cycle Frontier).

Philfrag

Banned
He's kinda right. As a person who has had such amazing experiences with video games that have high stakes I think the idea behind this is cool. Anyone completely dismissing it based off headline stories of bad crypto scams and NFT projects simply doesn't understand the technology enough to see its potential in the future. I think without proper regulation the current landscape is a minefield if you're going to get into this stuff. That said, it will happen one day, and it will be done right. Then all these same people will write stories/tweets about how this 'new hit game' revolutionised gaming. Do I think Dr Disrespect is the guy to make this new game? Not really. As I said the current landscape and lack of regulation just opens this stuff up to be some of the worst shit. I think the idea of actual stakes in multiplayer videogames is really cool to me. Dayz highlighted how the meta game that develops over time becomes a psychological one as every decision has stakes and completely changes the way people play the game. This only becomes a dystopian nightmare if every game becomes this, which doesn't need to be the case.

Mephisto40

I can 100% guarantee the people producing his game will not have an anti cheat system worth diddly squat

The moment somebody loses one of these "$100,000 tokens" to a cheater his game is going to get destroyed across the internet

He must know this is going to happen

Last edited:

Lasha

He's kinda right. As a person who has had such amazing experiences with video games that have high stakes I think the idea behind this is cool. Anyone completely dismissing it based off headline stories of bad crypto scams and NFT projects simply doesn't understand the technology enough to see its potential in the future. I think without proper regulation the current landscape is a minefield if you're going to get into this stuff. That said, it will happen one day, and it will be done right. Then all these same people will write stories/tweets about how this 'new hit game' revolutionised gaming. Do I think Dr Disrespect is the guy to make this new game? Not really. As I said the current landscape and lack of regulation just opens this stuff up to be some of the worst shit. I think the idea of actual stakes in multiplayer videogames is really cool to me. Dayz highlighted how the meta game that develops over time becomes a psychological one as every decision has stakes and completely changes the way people play the game. This only becomes a dystopian nightmare if every game becomes this, which doesn't need to be the case.

Blockchain isn't necessary to have items in games worth money. Any extraction game could allow RMT of items and program rare drops into their game. Valve has made billions on the concept without blockchain. NFT add nothing but pointless complexity.

Hes right.

Lot of people complaining about that pay battle pass, dlcs and skins in their games, so whats the problem to play, earn something worth money ? Are you just mad because you are not going to be able to buy some exclusives skins ?...

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Ohhhh damn this for the game his making on with fourzerotwo

Other studios have all but scrapped their NFT game ideas already but guess DrDisrespect is too far in the hole with this game at this point and investors need that payout

That game is DOA unless it gets a major rework.

Jumped on the hype train when it was hype, but fell asleep in the cabin and didnt realize the train has already been derailed.....but you already too deep in the hole.

This game is gonna be more out of touch than Ubisofts attempts to jump on hype bandwagons, cuz by the time it has a full release with all those glorious NFTs people will be so over NFTs even NFT bros wont want to touch it.
Not only that extraction gametype is gonna be saturated with much better games.
But pump and dump seems to keep working so maybe he gets a couple of his buddies to pump and dump into this game.

For those wondering what his game is all about:
Think Escape from Tarkov, Hunt Showdown, Call of Duty DMZ.........but shit.....and soon to have NFTs by the smell of things.

image-34-1024x549.png

deadrop.jpg

Wildebeest

Seems fair for the extraction shooter genre for the devs to be lying and cheating to loot money from the players, when the players are mostly cheating to loot each other.

Mephisto40

Hes right.

Lot of people complaining about that pay battle pass, dlcs and skins in their games, so whats the problem to play, earn something worth money ? Are you just mad because you are not going to be able to buy some exclusives skins ?...
No, people are "mad" because anybody who thinks about this properly understands that in a world of cheaters in video games that even multi billion dollar companies cannot control, putting real world money losses into games like this is an incredibly dumb idea

Wait until doc loses his $100,000 nft to a cheater that one shots him accross the map on launch day, then all this is going to come crashing down

Last edited:
Came in ready to leave a drive by comment, like “NFT & CRYPTO SCAM BRO LOL1!!1”…

…and while that’s still true, I think that’s a marvellous idea, imagine the scale of the meltdowns involved in players in this situation. Not that I would watch as the kind of people who would be into this would be humans who should go in the ‘eject into sun’ bin.

But the threads on here mocking them would be glorious.

Let-them-fight.gif

Rhazkul

Horrible, horrible idea. The salt will be massive in such a game. Needless to say that it will be a toxic, try-hard and sweaty environment. It will be as serious as a job, and there's no fun involved when you lose a $100k item. People will go apeshit, maybe even stalk other players IRL, or even hurt themselves when such life-changing amounts of money is involved. Professional tournaments is one thing, but a game where EVERYONE can join and play and possibly ruin their health or livelihood trying to make it...? Nah...fuck off. The average gamer can't handle that amount of stress.

Spank_Magnet

The Male Lewinsky
Hes right.

There’s one problem right there. Where does this worth come from? If it’s like most NFTs then the “value” is highly dubious, transitory and arbitrary. If it’s backed up by RL monetary value who’s stumping this up?

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
This already exists.

It's called Gambling. There is a ton of gambling game websites this dude can go find his "entertainment value" at.

As a matter of fact, I receive tons of mail from them asking me to sneak links into my articles. It normally goes straight into the bin, but if "Dr Disrespect" is so interested, I can forward it.

To be fair, extraction shooters become extremely boring and repetitive extremely fast, so I guess I can see why he'd be seeking some more excitement out of the genre by adding artificial stakes. 😂

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Beyond the whole nft background bs it’s always been weird to me how gamers think about singularity in online games.

It’s like people hate it that they can never truly be unique in a mmo, but if devs ever try to implement something like that then people freak out that they can’t get “ all “ the content. Even if it’s just cosmetic.
Nintendo use to be really big on 1 offs being limited time or you had to get it at am event. I remember this driving some people insane.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
it's just gambling. Why would I want to have real stakes when playing games for fun

Pretty literally because he's not playing games for fun.

His point of view is likely completely skewed by being a streamer to the point that he's absolutely out of touch with the idea of games as "fun."

This isn't rare. I've lost count of the times I saw some streamer come up with some "great idea that would make the game a million times better!" hot take based not on making the game fun to play, but on making the game fun to watch.

This is one of the reasons why I roll my eyes when developers partner with "Influencers" to get ideas about games. An influencer's motivation for playing diverges pretty radically from that of a player who just wants to have fun playing the game.

Last edited:

Spank_Magnet

The Male Lewinsky
This isn't rare. I've lost count of the times I saw some streamer come up with some "great idea that would make the game a million times better!" hot take based not on making the game fun to play, but on making the game fun to watch.
And never any idea on how these things might actually work/be implemented.

Like the Karl Pilkington Death Watch…
Karl: I’ve got a great idea. a Death Watch that tells you how long you’ve got to live.
Ricky: How does it work?
Karl: Just look at the dial and it tells you.
Ricky: No, I mean inside. How does it work it out?
Karl: How the fuck do I know? I’m not making it. I’ve come up with the great idea, what else do you expect me to do?

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I mean I get the idea...

Like big money, big prizes, big stakes. Essentially it's trying to get the tornament style stake naturally occurring without a tornament being involved, and the veiwership that would attract.

The issue is that... this is NFT's so no one worth anything will actually care. The thing is people need the game to succeed so that items within it can naturally gain a value attached to it.

The best example I can give is Counter Strike's marketplace, certain items naturally gain value on the market place. The issue here with NFT's is they are artificially trying to give value to something before it even enters the marketplace, there is no natural growth for the value of the item. The other key issue is by the very nature of the type of game, it sounds like items can be taken, this lowers their perceived value from the player as you could die once and have your $100,000 sperm covered rainbow Barret 50.cal taken.

Essentially while some people might enjoy playing high stakes poker, a majority don't because they hate it when they have everything taken from them. You also can't really "cash out" due to the nature of the rules you have to see it through all the way to end.

In reality this idea will never work at the launch of a title, but would require an established game with a large playerbase and marketplace to move over to the model once the market has already been established and stabilised.

No, people are "mad" because anybody who thinks about this properly understands that in a world of cheaters in video games that even multi billion dollar companies cannot control, putting real world money losses into games like this is an incredibly dumb idea

Wait until doc loses his $100,000 nft to a cheater that one shots him accross the map on launch day, then all this is going to come crashing down
Lol you definitively don't know how the blockchain work... You already can't do that on CS GO with something not as complex as NFT, so what you are saying have no sense...

Eotheod

No one has yet been able to prove how NFTs would just "work" in the ecosystem of game design without absolutely breaking the game's ecosystem. It's an inherit system of more money spent = better stat values as a player = unfair advantage that reduces playerbase to whales that don't want to compete against each other. It just does not work because there is no balance, and especially no extraction profit that works yet they all so happily parrot as a selling point.

Add in the whole joined universe stupid shit that anyone who buys an NFT in one game can transfer it to another, and it's just a pure modern day Prince of Africa scam. We can barely get system parity/cross-play working let alone having quite literally one piece of code designed for one game's algorithms actually transferring successfully to a completely different game. Ask these so called NFT "experts" how to solve that issue and they start babbling on about how you just don't see the big picture or you are stifling creativity.

Utter scam mindset preying on user inability to determine legitimacy due to lack of game design/programming knowledge.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
is this an act, isn't this guys schtick being a fake personality, was never part of the twitch community but anyone who supports NFTs are scammers or fraudsters in my book.
I think as always in these type of cases an act is an approximation of traits that are already there IRL. Then as times go by and you are successful you tend your fake persona to take more and more replacing whatever base personality there was. At this point this guy doesn’t need to act, you see him as he is.

Mephisto40

Is cheaters can get crates and kheys for free on CS GO ? No.

So your last point is still non-sens...
Cheaters and hackers have stolen people's items in CS:GO

If a player in in doc's game says to somebody "I'll 1 on 1 you for this item" and the item is set to automatically transfer the moment one person wins, which is what dr disrespect is proposing in his game, and the other person uses an aimbot to win, there will be nothing stopping that person who used the aim bot receiving the item, and with it being an NFT the transaction would be untraceable

And there goes your $100,000 nft, through no fault of your own, other than the person you played against decided to cheat

This isnt just a stupid idea, you would get people hurting themselves, or hurting other people

Does this honestly sound like a good idea to you? can you actually imagine the ramifications of an unhinged person losing $100,000 in a single round of a FPS game, people have been seriously hurt over less than that

Last edited:
Top Bottom