• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DrDisrespect wants $100k NFT's in game, calling people "brain dead" if you do not agree

Hes right.

Lot of people complaining about that pay battle pass, dlcs and skins in their games, so whats the problem to play, earn something worth money ? Are you just mad because you are not going to be able to buy some exclusives skins ?...
If you're telling me I can "potentially" find an item that I could maybe sell later and I don't have to pay any money, just the price of the game? Why not?

So far, as much as I know, the only NFTs he's sold were the initial batch to become a "founder" or something and was these fucking card or some shit. Now... if upon the games release it is revealed that you can buy "Doc Coins" (lol) that is bought using cryptocurrencies, then these coins can be breed and create more coins/value, that then be used to buy/convert into a token... or something BS like that, then we'll know. Until then, I can only judge him on what's been presented. NFT's themselves aren't a scam, it's everything surrounding said NFT that makes it's a scam.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Bruh they are literally charging real money for fake money and then shutting down the servers after few years. There's a lot of different ways that NFTs can be sold from respectable to complete scum but the baseline is that at least if you stop playing the game you can sell your items and get some of your money back.
1471611261-eye-roll-james-harden.gif

Miss me with that shit.

You dont need NFTs or Blockchain to buy and sell in game items for "real" money.
CSGO has been doing that for how long without needing NFTs or Blockchain?
Relying on NFTs and tokens allows people (usually if not always the creators themselves or people tied to the creators) to pump and dump like near literally every single NFT project the last like 4 years.

Boneless

Its because the investor in the game is big on NFT's so Dr pretty much sold his soul as it was his only way to get this game off the ground.

Pretty literally because he's not playing games for fun.

His point of view is likely completely skewed by being a streamer to the point that he's absolutely out of touch with the idea of games as "fun."

This isn't rare. I've lost count of the times I saw some streamer come up with some "great idea that would make the game a million times better!" hot take based not on making the game fun to play, but on making the game fun to watch.

This is one of the reasons why I roll my eyes when developers partner with "Influencers" to get ideas about games. An influencer's motivation for playing diverges pretty radically from that of a player who just wants to have fun playing the game.

Exactly! Well said. Reminds me of another reason I came to despise Bungie over the past 5-6 years. They pamper youtubers with access and expenses paid trips to shill for them and they listen to these guys over the people actually paying for their game.

When Bungie came up with the idea for "vaulting content" all these shills helped convince the sheep that is the Destiny community that it was a good thing.

I can't stand most influencers types. This guy is clearly a narcissist and not just when he's in character. He's said too much shit over the years, has been embroiled in controversy for doing shady stuff and I remember hearing he cheated on his wife.

Imagine cheating on your wife and then YOU decide to break the news about it on your twitch channel in front of millions of people, just so you can feel better and get attention ....

rich eceleb flaunts wealth and says something that annoys people, inflaming discussion and causing publicity for said eceleb

video games

Lasha

I thought NFTs were stupid until I bought Deadrop and saw my items on the blockchain and in my digital wallet. It sort of opened my eyes to having actual ownership of items with monetary value.

Some of us grind endlessly for items in games that are worth absolutely nothing outside of those games. It made me feel like that's a complete waste of time compared to earning items that are worth something in the real world.

We'll see how it turns out in practice though. As mentioned, cheaters will also be an issue.

Can you share more about the NFT implementation. From what I gather you need to own a "founder pass" to play now. Those passes are implemented as NFT on polygon and traded on opensea.

A pass looks like this:

The only on chain component of that founders pass is a URI. The URI points to a Json file hosted on the developers servers:

What exactly is it implied that you own? You won't even be able to see the PFP you bought if the studio becomes defunct because the asset is stored on the developers servers. The environment appears to be a vercel instance which is even more ephemeral.

Would you happen to have the address of the contract where items are stored? I would like to see what drops look like on the Blockchain.

In a world where there is no such thing as cheating and the term NFT doesn't already just immediately make it cringe and dead on arrival. The actual notion of having a loot based extraction game like Tarkov where you can actually extract out with something worth a certain amount of money, is obviously actually an interesting concept. But there is no way it can ever be achieved currently in a fair environment.
Completely agree. Needs a solution to the fair environment problem and a system or market in place to ensure the NFT's have value (where are the buyers and why would they buy the NFTs). Doc is right but it's more complicated than what he's promoting and it's going to be a minute before anyone gets it right.

The NFT itself is worthless but, if having that NFT in my wallet means I get a free coffee every time I go to the coffee shop, that's where it gets interesting, IF someone can pull that off.

Crayon

I've never seen a single video of this guy except for some kind of intro and I thought it was completely hilarious. I've also seen some thing where he listed his height as a qualification.

If I was going to be a full time streamer, I would consider the idea of making a character like this. Seems like it might be more reliable and easier than trying to be yourself in front of so many viewers day in and day out. What if you are having a terrible day? So you fake being a happy version of yoursef? I'd rather slip into a 1-dimensional charicture where I know what my audience wants and I can leave myself at the door. I've streamed and people liked it, but I wouldn't go on if I was in a shitty mood because that would be no fun to pretend it was me but with no problems.

Last edited:
He's a total asshole... but he's not wrong from a business stance. I see so many corporate warriors here who align with that kind of rabbit hole thinking. You get the "itsh a bidness!" stances which means do any immoral act for pure profit while ignoring the human aspect of the golden rule.

Personally speaking, I'm at a place where I don't gaf what others do, no matter how stupid or whatever, just keep it away from me and mine.

Arsic

Good games focus on showing off gameplay and putting it front face and center .

This game is focusing on telling me about its virtual goods.

Dead on Arrival Drop.

Barakov

Gold Member
Side thought, general and not completely related to this, that I may or may not elaborate in the future. Kinda interesting that we first saw a gamification of work/real life and now we're full in the middle of workification of gaming.
Seems like we've heading this way for years. What with WoW having you grind dailes for reputation, Minecraft having you dig deeper and deeper for for the right materials, hell even FF8 gave you more money if you completed a dungeon quick enough. Of course the best example is that bitchass raccoon from Animal Crossing going full loan shark. Of course one of the end results of this is battle passes. People are literally paying companies to unlock stuff.

The rise of the survival genre is another example of this. The gameplay is basically(it seems to me anyway) busy work. I can get why people would think this is fun, grinding in some games is fun I'll be the first to admit, but it seems a lot like what you are describing.

Also, let's not forget early access. People are literally paying to bug test games. Really seems like gamers have major stockholm syndrome if I'm being brutally honest(myself included).

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
I thought NFTs were stupid until I bought Deadrop and saw my items on the blockchain and in my digital wallet. It sort of opened my eyes to having actual ownership of items with monetary value.

Some of us grind endlessly for items in games that are worth absolutely nothing outside of those games. It made me feel like that's a complete waste of time compared to earning items that are worth something in the real world.

We'll see how it turns out in practice though. As mentioned, cheaters will also be an issue.

Do you own the items though? Nope. You own a receipt. The actual 'items' are not guaranteed to continue existing. And they are only worth what a bigger fool will pay for them.

1471611261-eye-roll-james-harden.gif

Miss me with that shit.

You dont need NFTs or Blockchain to buy and sell in game items for "real" money.
Relying on NFTs and tokens allows people (usually if not always the creators themselves or people tied to the creators) to pump and dump like near literally every single NFT project the last like 4 years.
This...

People that keep pushing the use of NFT's are the ones that want to profit with this MLM bullshit or are dumb tech illiterates that doesn't know what a fucking database is...

NFT's are worthless they don't adhere any value whatsoever...

Black_Stride

This guy looks like a dumb fuck, now we know he's a certified retard after that 👍
Hes clearly actually a genius.

• He was a relatively successful level designer for Call of Duty.
  • He made up a character who has millions of followers (his real personality is actually quite meek).
  • He has said character start a video game company with actually talented devs as employees.
  • He ensures the game said company is making will have heavy monetization but NOT mtx cuz mtx bad...NFT...good.
  • He hires a CryptoDev.
  • He tells his followers how awesome a game that has NFTs would be.
  • He is actually making that game.
  • People believe his grift.
  • He sells a bunch of tokens to his buddies before the game goes live.
  • Game goes live sheep buy up NFTs so the price of the token goes up.
  • He sells his stake cuz now its worth millions.
  • The game bombs cuz of course it will.
  • The tokens become worthless.
  • His sheep are left with NFTs no one fucking wants, and certainly not for 100,000 dollars.
  • He walks away with the money....as long as the SEC dont investigate too deeply, hes a multi millionaire and can retire......or do it again.

People in this very thread are defending him for grifting NFTs......and NeoGAF is supposed to be the learned gaming forum.....can you imagine how many people have eaten this shit up on reddit, youtube, twitch or twitter?
This grift is gonna be legendary and I cant wait to see it play out.

Get ready for Reddit threads: I might kill myself cuz I didnt learn the 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th time an NFT/Token/Coin grift came up.

Futaleufu

He may be right.

I dont understand why some gamers are so against NFTs, "it's going to ruin my games" or things like that. If you don't like NFTs, don't buy games that feature them.

iHaunter

So guy whose developing a likely shitty BR game wants bullshit mechanics to get more money? Can't say I'm surprised.

treemk

Banned

Yeah thats true, other than CSGO skins are managed by Valve and NFTs can be decentralized. There's also no legit way to sell you CSGO skins outside of getting Steam account balance so you have to use 3rd party sites to sell them.

Black_Stride

Yeah thats true, other than CSGO skins are managed by Valve and NFTs can be decentralized. There's also no legit way to sell you CSGO skins outside of getting Steam account balance so you have to use 3rd party sites to sell them.
Decentralized how?
The only thing you "own" is a URL.
If youve bought the founders pass which is an NFT its just a URL linking to their own website.
So if the company goes under your NFT goes with it.
Its still central to them.

You can check one of their founders pass NFTs right here:
The NFT:

What it actually is:

Their game will then read that json file and extract whats needed to give you "whatever" you are still fully reliant on them.
So the same as if they just had a frikken in game store that used a frikken database.

Last edited:

AGRacing

Gold Member
NFTs? Now? After all the backlash and the collapse of that whole market?
Your real money economy has collapsed several times as well. Let's not get too hyperbolic.

Also... Cheaters can get rich in the real world too... What they need is a methodology of stripping them of their wealth when and if they're caught. Not sure they're able to with blockchain.

Anyway . The value of anything found in this game will be determined by demand. And the idea I could find something people want to pay for and shit myself trying to extract is kind of cool.

I respect the team for trying something new. I paid to try the snapshot and there's potential in this type of loot and extract genre. Even without any dollar value attached to my loot I found it pretty cool to get extracted and keep what I had found to stash or use later.

Tams

Gold Member
He may be right.

I dont understand why some gamers are so against NFTs, "it's going to ruin my games" or things like that. If you don't like NFTs, don't buy games that feature them.

I can admire the grift in this case.

But it is taking advantage of people to a degree that makes me uncomfortable. And I will admit that I've come close to buying into (literally) similar things. I have been scammed on IndieGoGo, and the few Kickstarter projects I've backed have delivered but... haven't been great, tbh.

The temptation for something rare and/exclusive is very strong, and even people who are aware of it can be sucked in.

Of course, this is nothing new. Timeshares for instance, can be a decent way to get a holiday home. But all too often fall through; either by incompetence or due to be very close to scams. I've seen my own mother fall prey to them; we ended up staying in some concrete monstrosity in the Canary Islands.

Top Bottom