• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dreamcast

Insertia

I wasn't a big fan of DC. The only game I truly considered AAA was JSR.
Dreamcast had a lot overrated mediocre titles (Shenmue, Phantasy Star Online, Crazy Taxi, Code Veronica)

DCX

DCX
DigDugDirkDiggler said:
If it wasn't for Soul Calibur, MDK2 would be the best game on the DC by far.
They're both in my top 10 games of all time list though.
One of the hardest games ever...

DCX

pilonv1

etiolate said:
The PS2 killing the DC is the most telling moment about modern gaming. A lot of arguments exist over whether there is more licensed crap selling now than many years before, but in the end it was always the software that determined things. That ended with PS2.

Not to start a debate about the PS2 launch lineup and people using them as DVD players or to play PSX games, but this is a point I will agree with till the day I die.

Vgamer

Man Dreamcast is the system that got me back into gaming. I was absolutley floored when I saw Soul Calibur for the first time. That game was so amazing it would be the best looking DC game ever IMO. Whoever would have guessed that a launch game for a system could look as good as a second generation title! Thats how easy it was to program games on the DC. Like others said for awhile there every other week a HUGE game came out. I remember getting Shenmue for Christmas and being floored. I know alot of people hate that game but I loved it and still play it to this day. And then I got two fo the best RPGs ever IMO within like a weeks time! Grandia 2 and Skies of Arcadia! It almost was a mistake for them to be released so close. I think it effected sales for both of them as some people could only afford one or the other and didnt end up buying the other one till it was a bargain bin game. And the DC was a 2D fighters "DREAM" So many great 2D fighters on it that it is just insane.

And the Sports games where out of this world! I mean when I saw the NFL2k series I was like are you kidding me! I went from the Madden on PSX to that and me and my friends could not believe it. And then Virtua Tennis was the most addictive multiplayer game to have come out in a long time.

I think there will never be another leap in visuals from one generation to the other like there was from the PSX/n64 to the DC. It was just incredible. Like when the PS2 launched it was at the time barely better looking then the DC and the Xbox at launch was barely better then the PS2. but the DC blew away all systems at its launch.

Anyways SEGA has really changed alot since the end of the DC IMO. Where as in those days i used to buy a AAA Sega title almost every other week now they hardly ever even make games im interested in. I think they have lost their identity now that they dont have their own console and they defiently make way less games. Oh well for 2 or 3 glorious years SEGA and the DC really did own for gaming scene. If you liked games and didnt own a DC then thats a real shame...

Some of my Fav DC games:
-Jet Grind Radio
-Shenmue 1 and 2
-Fire Pro Wrestling
-Capcom vs SNK 1 and 2
-Guilty Gear X
-Marvel Vs Capcom 2
-Fatal Fury mark of the wolves
-Dead or Alive
-Sonic Addventure
-Skies of Arcadia
-Toy Commander(one of those unique launch DC games that really was fun and had a great 4 player mode!)
-Virtua Tennis
-Grandia 2
-Rayman 2(another AAA title that got over looked by alot. One of the best platforming games ever IMO)
-NFL2k1(played this a ton online)
-Quake 3(first time I ever played Quake 3 online was on the DC)
-Powerstone series (Capcom we want a Powerstone 3!)
-Tech Romancer
-Resident Evil:CV (This game was amazing at the time! the first RE game to not have static cameras!)
-Street Fighter 3 Third Strike (best looking SF game ever)

and many many more!

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Dreamcast rocked so much and still does. It has so many original, kinda quirky but really fun games. I'd say it's right on par with the Saturn.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
"I think there will never be another leap in visuals from one generation to the other like there was from the PSX/n64 to the DC. It was just incredible. Like when the PS2 launched it was at the time barely better looking then the DC and the Xbox at launch was barely better then the PS2. but the DC blew away all systems at its launch."

Ehrm, I thought the leap from SNES/Genesis to Saturn/N64/PSX was way more impressive, but maybe that's just me.

SaitoH

etiolate said:
The PS2 killing the DC is the most telling moment about modern gaming. A lot of arguments exist over whether there is more licensed crap selling now than many years before, but in the end it was always the software that determined things. That ended with PS2.

Though I never had a DC myself, I played it with friends and have bought quite a few DC ports on GC and PS2.

I don't agree with that at all. Software still determines a systems worth. Playstation 2 launch had two big advantages. 1) Playstation 1 was the best selling system, so it's natural for people to want the next incarnation. 2) Sega was trying to rebuild their name after the Saturns failure (North America and Europe). These two things made people reluctant to buy the Dreamcast initially. Even though the PS2 launch sucked, it wasn't long before GT3, MGS2 etc were released, at which point it didn't matter anymore. Also contributing to the DC demise was the fact that most of the top titles (barring RE:CV and SC) were niche market.

I loved my DC, but wasn't surprised that it died.

Vgamer

Yea im still sad about No Cliche going under to. Agartha was looking amazing and Toy Commander was a fun game.

Vgamer

Kiriku said:
"I think there will never be another leap in visuals from one generation to the other like there was from the PSX/n64 to the DC. It was just incredible. Like when the PS2 launched it was at the time barely better looking then the DC and the Xbox at launch was barely better then the PS2. but the DC blew away all systems at its launch."

Ehrm, I thought the leap from SNES/Genesis to Saturn/N64/PSX was way more impressive, but maybe that's just me.

I personally liked the look of alot of SNES/Genesis games better then alot of the launch PSX/Saturn games. Although 3D was definetly a huge leap!

P90

belgurdo said:
I to this day will never understand why people ignored the DC so that they could play glorified tech demos on the PS2...

No FF, MG, Zelda or Mario or deep, deep pockets = the RIP. The DC was a great system for $49 and budget priced games. SoA rocked.

wazoo

Samba de Amigo rules over everything this gen. And playing PSO for the first time was gaming paradise. That being said, the DC is no more gaming heaven than the others 128 consoles.

Tsubaki

Insertia said:
Dreamcast had a lot overrated mediocre titles (Shenmue, Phantasy Star Online, Crazy Taxi, Code Veronica)

Hrm... maybe that's another reason the DC never got the good reputation it deserved. Many games that people praise to high heavens are pretty mediocre, if even that. I'd also like to add to that list: Arcadia (Skies of/Eternal)... and to diss entire series(multisystem) that were popular on the DC: Capcom vs games, Resident Evil series, Dead or Alive series.

raYne

Insertia said:
I wasn't a big fan of DC. The only game I truly considered AAA was JSR.

You lie! Code Veronica rocked because it was the first RE game that I ever bothered to finish and this is coming from someone who detests slow paced games to no end. I also had Crazy Taxi 1&2 and Shenmue... but eh?

In total I had around 50 games, that's pretty much average for a consoles life span in my house. That said I only remember it mostly for the fighters, most of which I still play. SNK, Sammy, Namco and especially Capcom.... mmmmm...

My fave DC moment has to be when a friend came over the day after I got it at launch. When he saw Soul Calibur running, his jaw literally fell to the floor. He went out and got the system the very next day (which was very unlike the guy).

BTW, sorry PS fans, but the DC version of Rez, if you have VGA, is the champ.

Rez isn't "low res" on the PS2; it just uses field rendering instead of full-frame rendering. The 60 fps makes quite a bit larger difference.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Dreamcast is my favorite system of all time. Say what you will.

Thats just like.. my.. opinion... man.

teiresias

I still play my DC - mainly whipping it out for some single player PSO. However, I never really owned that many games for it. I'm not really a fighting game fan (I own Soul Calibur though - who doesn't? :) ), which left me less enamored of Capcom's output on the machine, and I pretty much satiated the playtime of the other "big" Sega games by renting them because the najority of them were so "arcadey" I knew I'd never play them much after sitting down with them for a week or so.

After all, I'm mainly an RPG and adventure game kind of person (despite my loathing of Shenmue). So I own Grandia II, Skies of Arcadia, Soul Reaver, PSO, Sonic Adventure, Seaman, and a few others I think. However, PSO is still the best online experience I ever had, in the beginning of the phenomenom, getting online and into GAF-run games, it was awesome, fun, and sooooo addicting. Not addicting enough to warrant paying a monthly fee for it, which ended the fun for me when Ep. 2 came along, but alas.

So, I liked the system for what it was, but I never had a huge library, but if you were a fighting game fan and loved arcade style games it was definately your machine.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I just played Street Fighter III on my Dreamcast just last night (thanks to some motivating from the Evo 2004 finals :)).

The Dreamcast was the ultimate pick-up-and-play machine. Sure it had some longer, more epic stuff like Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia, but the machine had the soul of an arcade at its heart and I always did love it for that.

9.9.99 is still one of the happier days I can remember. Certainly the best gaming day there was. I got to experience the launch first hand, got a new system and a nice little stack of some really awesome stuff, AND got to take home the new Final Fantasy (VIII) which also came out that day. I also remember that FF VIII remained in its shrinkwrap for several day after until I had Dreamcasted myself out. Ahh, memories.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
Rez is a game that emphasizes colors and shape. VGA clarity and accuracy is untouchable for that. 60 hz is certainly nice, yet the messiness of the Ridge Racer 5 look in filtering and field-rendering artifacts detracts even more profoundly in a game like Rez which uses wireframes - where every line is an edge and therefore prone to jaggies.

jarrod:
Well given that GameCube has tyhe best version of Crazy Taxi...
The DC version has native VGA and proscan. And the difference you were likely referring to is probably not what you think...

Lazy8s said:
Rez is a game that emphasizes colors and shape. VGA clarity and accuracy is untouchable for that. 60 hz is certainly nice, yet the messiness of the Ridge Racer 5 look in filtering and field-rendering artifacts detracts even more profoundly in a game like Rez which uses wireframes - where every line is an edge and therefore prone to jaggies.

Thank you. Another person here who knows what he's talking about.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Lazy8s said:

Well, I use to play on my TV rather than on my monitor so 60fps wins, sorry.

And no, Rez doesn't have the "messiness of the Ridge Racer 5 look".

Lazy8s

TTP:
And no, Rez doesn't have the "messiness of the Ridge Racer 5 look".
It does have the same type of render and display settings.

I see a greater subtlety in detail for its beautiful graphics when I play through native VGA.

ypo

"It does have the same type of render and display settings."

Retard, just because it uses the same method doesn't mean it'll have same amount of flickerings in every game.

KAOS

The Dreamcast is still one of my favorite All time systems! I don't recall getting as enthused about gaming with any other console. From light guns to fishing rods to joysticks to wheels...it was all worth it. From Capcom fighters to Shooters to Sega's own masterpieces it was pure gaming heaven.

Sega's last home will never be forgotten and those who missed out have no soul or worse will forever be cursed to be casual gaming lemings!

Vgamer said:
Anyways SEGA has really changed alot since the end of the DC IMO. Where as in those days i used to buy a AAA Sega title almost every other week now they hardly ever even make games im interested in. I think they have lost their identity now that they dont have their own console and they defiently make way less games. Oh well for 2 or 3 glorious years SEGA and the DC really did own for gaming scene. If you liked games and didnt own a DC then thats a real shame...

Man,you read my mind. I feel the same damn way. There is a such a gap of bleh between the VF4,Ortas,JSRF, and OutRun2 releases. Those are great,but its everything that comes between them is whats troublesome to see. Subpar Shinobi games and Matrix Online projects,WTF is this? This isn't the old Sega we use to know.

Lazy8s

ypo:
just because it uses the same method doesn't mean it'll have same amount of flickerings in every game.
Yes it will considering it's the field-rendering without proper filtering that causes it.

However, the impact of this malady is made both more profound from everything being in wireframe and, counteractively, less profound from the abstractness of the design.

ypo

Sorry but RR5 has worse image quality than Rez.

oh yea...

Lazy8s
Christ I'm Stupid III:
Too Dumb to Die

FightyF

Banned
This thread confuses me.

You mean there were some so-called 'gamers' who actually refused to like the DC system?

Losers, every single one of them.

Whoa! I actually agree with Fusebox! Well, I guess we'd also agree that freeform is the best genre of music too... :p

Like I said I got Maken X for cheap, and a few other titles...I still haven't finished Ecco the Dolphin yet either and my save got erased...gotta go through that beauty again!

And to do this I'm going to have to disconnect my GameCube...I don't think anyone will notice :p

lachesis

Frankly, my interest in videogaming in general has dropped down dramatically after death of DC. Partially because of I"m a sega console nut, but at the same time, I couldn't find that specific games I could be satisfied. Only game I really play these days are Winning Eleven series, and videogaming became my secondary hobby. Recent weak-sauce (when compared to old days) Sega products do not excite me anymore as much as I wanted to. I don't know what causes such things - perhaps partial fanboysm to the console itself? I don't know.

I still own near 100 DC games (all original), a lot of them in LE and very mint condition. (Eternal Arcadia LE box, all Sakura Taisen 1-4 LE boxes, etc.) I really had passion in playing videogames at that time, but it has gone by in my life - and I'm not sure what might bring such passion back. Perhaps, I'm just getting older and weary. However, I'm keeping my two DCs all the time in very special place in my walk-in closet, so that I can access it anytime I want to. (I have launch day JP DC, and 9.9.99 US DC, still running great - perhaps I only used original GDs?) As I moved to a new place, it's one of my side project to set up a VGA connected small DC gaming stand in a corner. I don't have that much attachment to my any other consoles, including Saturn, PS2, XBX, GC, etc etc.

In my memory, DC days would always remain as the greatest gaming moments in my life. AAA title rush was just great - that I was pretty much spending 100+ dollars on buying in games almost every week. ;) Death of DC, as for my videogaming hobby, pretty much eaqualed death of videogaming. Fanboysm? Yeah yeah. ;)

lachesis

Top Bottom