• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dreams adds PlayStation VR support on July 22

Bryank75

Banned

Dreams will add PlayStation VR support via a free update on July 22, publisher Sony Interactive Entertainment and developer Media Molecule announced.

The “Inside The Box” update will include new tutorials, how-tos, and kits to get creators started on creating with PlayStation VR, as well as new content to play from Media Molecule.

Here is an overview of the PlayStation VR update, via the PlayStation Blog:
Our “All Aboard VR” introduction will help you get familiar with the Dreams virtual reality controls and what it’ll be like traversing the Dreamiverse whether you’re a player or a creator or both!

In DreamShaping, you’ll find several new How-To tutorials, where our always-helpful Molecules will teach you the ins and outs of creating in virtual reality. The best place to start will be our Best Practices How To, before heading into tutorials covering off some of the new gadgets being introduced with the virtual reality update.

When it comes to Create Mode in virtual reality, sculpting is truly unique, allowing you to bring your Dreams to life around you. If you have PlayStation Move Controllers, you’ll find sculpting in virtual reality is a very one-to-one experience and lets you fully immerse in the creation process. Of course, you don’t need to be in virtual reality to create for PlayStation VR, and non-PlayStation VR users will benefit from the update as well. We’re introducing a handful of new gadgets to Create Mode, and a full slate of accessibility features including comfort mode, vignette strength, static sky, and more to make the experience of playing and creating as great as possible.

We have also created a whole range of different experiences ready to play and inspire Dreamers for their own versions. From games such as Box Blaster, which sees you testing your sharp-shooting skills, to our “Inside the Box Gallery” which features sculpts and art pieces from different members of the team, including an ultra-fabulous mech. Games like Box Blaster will also have their own respective creation kits.

Our creative community will be able to specify if their content is playable in virtual reality or not, and UGC content in Dreams will ask for a comfort rating from players, so you’ll be able to see what games are the best experience in virtual reality. We’re incredibly excited to see the experiences the Dreams community will create and we’ve been busy making sure we give them the right tools to make that possible.

Last edited by a moderator:

FranXico

giphy.gif

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Damn, really nice.

I'm still probably never gonna open it again, but it's a nice touch.

pixelation

Well... guess the time to buy Dreams has finally come! (I hope we get some meaningful MM made VR content along with the update) is it still $39.99?

I want to walk around all the scenes created by this legend, including the new one:

frankly, don't think even with dynamic resolution it will be possible on PS4 VR, but hoping the added extra power of PS5 can do it

wondermega

I am definitely interested in this. I'll keep my development to Unity but if there is any kind of active scene in here I'd love to see what is going, on especially if they are well done small artsy/bitesize gaming experiences. I haven't got PS online though so I suppose I'd need to get a membership to the service, we'll see..

I wonder what they've done for standard FP controls with Moves. I hope they're well aware how the likes of Skyrim, Borderlands and No Man's Sky did it

holy baloney! The entirety of Dreams will be playable in VR, not just a mode or some experiences!

Fallout experience VR, here I cum

Grinchy

Banned
Niiice, it's great that they didn't have to restrict the thermometer or anything like that.

And it's actually a good thing that you can make VR-exclusive levels as a choice, because some things just need you to have full range of motion with your arms and hands and it doesn't translate back to non-VR.

vkbest

Sorry but this is a terrible decission

“We automatically kick you out into the sort of virtual cinema mode that’s on the PlayStation,” Healey says, “But you can, in the menus, opt out of that if you like. So you can be ‘I don’t care, just give it to me, even if it’s a low framerate’.”

The most people don't know playing under 60fps on VR you can get really sick.

Last edited:

Resenge

The most people don't know playing under 60fps on VR you can get really sick.
I disagree, the market share of VR is small enough that I think most people understand the risks and work around them and as the game says its an opt out, so you will know what you are getting when you read the disclaimer.

Last edited:

vkbest

I disagree, the market share of VR is small enough that I think most people understand the risks and work around them and as the game says its an opt out, so you will know what you are getting when you read the disclaimer.

People can't understand the risks because they didnt play games under 60 fps on VR yet, when people get sick for a one or several full days, they will know the risk. Unlocked framerate is not good, but on VR is terrible and not healthy

Besides the most games on Dreams is not running to 60fps even on Pro, so there is no nice and quality content in it.

Media Molecule is not making anything for a good VR experience on Dreams with that decision. They should limit the creations for this mode.

Last edited:

Resenge

Unlocked framerate is not good, but on VR is terrible and not healthy

You are overreacting with this, can you tell me any permanent effects of VR sickness? VR sickness feels shit but you get over it just as any motion sickness or flat screen sickness.

I think the sickness effects are overblown. Yes it sucks feeling sickness, being car sick sucks and sea sickness sucks, drinking too much and having the room spin and being sick sucks but its just sickness and you get over it and learn for the next time. The only permanent effect of sickness is that it may put you off VR. You get used to it and know if you are about to feel sick then take a break, just as in playing a flat screen game. Immersion is worth it, VR or flat.

IMO the side effect of maybe getting sick in VR is worth it, but I take that gamble playing anything in a flat screen too just at a much lower risk, I completly understand the risk and take action to avoid it.

I for one do not want people to nanny me and decide what I can or can't play in VR. limiting others enjoyment just because somebody else may feel sick is bullshit.

The opt out is the correct way to go.

Last edited:

vkbest

You are overreacting with this, can you tell me any permanent effects of VR sickness? VR sickness feels shit but you get over it just as any motion sickness or flat screen sickness.

There are people who can get motion sickness and headache for a full week even on proper VR experience. I had nausea for a full day with Gran turismo VR mode from afternoon to next afternoon, I couldn't even work next day I played

VR is pretty new, we don't know what side effects could produce to brain or eyes in long term, so they shouldn't risk the health with shitty frame rates could make worse it. Sony banned PSVR games under 60 fps for that reason.

Anyway, you will get sick the first time you test this. So good luck

Last edited:

Resenge

There are people who can get motion sickness and headache for a full week even on proper VR experience. I had nausea for a full day with Gran turismo VR mode from afternoon to next afternoon, I couldn't even work next day I played

VR is pretty new, we don't know what side effects could produce to brain or eyes in long term, so they shouldn't risk the health with shitty frame rates could make worse it. Sony banned PSVR games under 60 fps for that reason.
PSVR has an FPS standard yes but PCVR does not. PCVR has been going for over 5 years with shitty framerates, I have been a VR enthusiast since the Vive was launched in 2015, I am an active participant in the VR community and I have not see any permanant problems come up. Oculus Quest has shitty framerates in some games especially Rec Room which is poorly optimised and yet I do not see any permanant problems from that and Quest is one of the fastest selling headsets.

I am not saying bad FPS is ok, it is not but 5 years of slow FPS in VR would have shown a pattern by now if there was anything to worry about.

In the end VR is not magic or anything dangerous, it is just strapping a screen to your head and ignoring the advice your mum gave you to not sit too close to the TV and allowing yourself to be immersed.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
There was a bug in a Farpoint co-op level where the enemies keep spawning at the end of a level and it doesn't end properly. People used it to rack up high scores.

But the game was pushing way more enemies than it ever meant to, which tanked the framerate like crazy. It was one of the only times (if not the only one ever) where I saw a PSVR game go under 60fps and it got to what looked like 30s or worse. While it's not something I'd want, it wasn't like I died from it IRL or something :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Top Bottom