• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dreams First Review...

CJY

Banned
I always don’t fully trust review scores from the official magazines because there is more chance they are bias. I’ve always found that scores skew slightly higher with official magazines too. Combined with the fact that I don’t care so much for reviews in general and scores in particular anymore, this 10 doesn’t have me that hyped in any way.

The only review scores I’ve historically cared about are those from Edge.

Anyway, congrats to Dreams all the same. It’s looking to be an amazing release.

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
Not that Dreams doesn't deserve it, but reviewing something during Early Access doesn't make sense.

Also, Dreams isn't a 10/10 yet. Too much issues still.

Majukun

while this can be the game to make me buy a playstation, i'm not gonna trust official playstation magazine with the score of a playstation exclusive XD

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
A 10/10 from the Official Playstation Magazine, which is the exclusive console that receives the game, which is in early access? Ok.
I'm not even remotely interested in this game and I'm seeing people recreate a level in MGS and I've seen a lot of others such as Oricana of Time. I'm going to give this reviewer the benefit of the doubt for the time being.

Ballthyrm

Come and make a game for us.
Spend hundreds of hours and see none of the money, because we own everything you make.

It is going to be either garbage mini games after garbage mini games without a good way to find the good ones.
Or people who should have been making the game in Unity or Unreal and selling it, instead of giving it for free to Sony.

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
Come and make a game for us.
Spend hundreds of hours and see none of the money, because we own everything you make.

It is going to be either garbage mini games after garbage mini games without a good way to find the good ones.
Or people who should have been making the game in Unity or Unreal and selling it, instead of giving it for free to Sony.
That's where they want to go with this. Allowing us to sell creations and make money.

But one step at a time. There's still lots of work to be done.

Virex

Banned
I wonder what their review score for Forza Horizon was
JL9dsOA.jpg

KiteGr

I never trust reviews this early from major magazines and/or sites.

Still, I have high hopes for this game!

ethomaz

Banned
For these saying that never trust an official PlayStation magazine...

* 37%higher than the average critic
* 5%same as the average critic
* 58%lower than the average critic

On average, this publication grades 6.9 points lower than other critics. (0-100 point scale)

Average Game review score: 67

Seems like they are way harsh with PlayStation games than others lol

Last edited:

JaffeLion

Banned

On average, this publication grades 6.9 points lower than other critics. (0-100 point scale)

how about PS exclusive games:

* 100% higher than the average critic
* 0% same as the average critic
* 0% lower than the average critic

LordRaptor

Yeah until you realise the 37% of games they review higher than anyone else are all Sony Exclusives, which is how Warhawk, Siren: Blood Curse, LittleBigPlanet, Resistance 2, Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction, Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time, Infamous, Killzone 2, Heavy Rain, and God of War: Chains of Olympus all got 10/10s

iconmaster

Banned
How can you give the game anything but a 10? Lets be serious here, if the game isn't what you want... Sit down and make the fucking game you want, inside the game you are bashing.

It needs to be a 10/10 everywhere to be honest.

If this is how reviews work, we shouldn’t see complaints about grinding as in Mortal Kombat 11. The player can just put in the work and the hours to get whatever enjoyment out of it there is to be had.

Insofar as Dreams can even be scored, it will come down to whether all that work is enjoyable to do.

Frizzie

Banned
I read this magazine cover to cover every month and I have to say the team seem very fair in their reviews and scores. I go into it knowing it is the Official Playstation Magazine but I have never seen anything to ring alarm bells that they are excessively bias.

I trust them and am glad Dreams has scored a 10/10. However this is not a game (if I can call it that) for me. I am simply not creative enough.

Kenpachii

1) Dreams’ Creator Early Access will be priced at $29.99 MSRP (+applicable tax) in the US and $39.99 MSRP (+applicable tax) in Canada.

2) Playstation magazine, if you want to be taken seriously call yourself not after a single company. Makes you look like a joke.

3) Early access is limited which means only select people get it. Basically all those review people are bribed. Because if they don't apply or are nice they will be excluded = lesser views. Aka classic bribe.

4) Dreams will be all about games that could but never would. There is no money to be made it should launch straight away with a shop that is crystal clear on how the royalties are shared.

There license agreement about you not owning anything isn't helping.

5) people will make demo's and small levels and call it a day. to much effort, to much time. They are better off making something outside of it if they are talented and push it through kickstarter and push money forwards from it.

6) censoring from content is already happening, which makes your game walk on egg shells of what sony likes or not likes also isn't helping.

7) locked to playstation and a controller doesn't help even remotely and limits its use even far more. It should be on PC if it wants to make any dent in the market at all.

Nice idea bad execution.

Last edited:

julio_grr

Early access is limited which means only select people get it
It's not. I got in. Anybody can buy it, it's on the store.
5) people will make demo's and small levels and call it a day. to much effort, to much time.
Teams are already making full games. Even single people have released more than demos. Even I released a fully playable little puzzle game, and some people spent half an hour on it (yes I measured that, I'm so glad :))

Most AAA games do not even have this level of detail.
Nice idea bad execution.
You wouldn't say that if you had try it. The tools are brilliant. And I speak as an engineer actually using and developing this exact kind of tools.
This early access is for creators, and indeed so you see tons and tons of shit demos and small levels. They clearly need to figure out a good way to promote the good games in their search engine.
But give it time, and you will see marvels.

Unknown?

Yeah until you realise the 37% of games they review higher than anyone else are all Sony Exclusives, which is how Warhawk, Siren: Blood Curse, LittleBigPlanet, Resistance 2, Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction, Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time, Infamous, Killzone 2, Heavy Rain, and God of War: Chains of Olympus all got 10/10s
exceptions prove the rule

1) Dreams’ Creator Early Access will be priced at $29.99 MSRP (+applicable tax) in the US and $39.99 MSRP (+applicable tax) in Canada.

2) Playstation magazine, if you want to be taken seriously call yourself not after a single company. Makes you look like a joke.

3) Early access is limited which means only select people get it. Basically all those review people are bribed. Because if they don't apply or are nice they will be excluded = lesser views. Aka classic bribe.

4) Dreams will be all about games that could but never would. There is no money to be made it should launch straight away with a shop that is crystal clear on how the royalties are shared.

There license agreement about you not owning anything isn't helping.

5) people will make demo's and small levels and call it a day. to much effort, to much time. They are better off making something outside of it if they are talented and push it through kickstarter and push money forwards from it.

6) censoring from content is already happening, which makes your game walk on egg shells of what sony likes or not likes also isn't helping.

7) locked to playstation and a controller doesn't help even remotely and limits its use even far more. It should be on PC if it wants to make any dent in the market at all.

Nice idea bad execution.
I needed some salt for my eggs this morning.

Last edited by a moderator:

Unknown?

Official Playstation Magazine consistently awarding higher scores to Playstation Exclusive titles than other outlets do is not really 'an exception'.
I was just being ridiculous in response to a silly cherrypicked comment. I’ve seen them rate exclusives lower than the average as well. Some of those games you listed getting 10s wasn’t unheard of either it was just higher than the average.

Basically you have provided very incomplete data so I cannot make any conclusion on their reviewing habits.

Tripolygon

Banned
PlayStation: The Official Magazine is not owned or run or has any affiliation with Sony, the magazine is owned and published by Future Publishing, the same company that owns Edge Magazine one of the well-respected games magazines. They also owned Nintendo Power until Nintendo ended their licensing agreement.

Last edited:

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
PlayStation: The Official Magazine is not owned or run or has any affiliation with Sony, the magazine is owned and published by Future Publishing, the same company that owns Edge Magazine one of the well-respected games magazines. They also owned Nintendo Power until Nintendo ended their licensing agreement.

And just in weeks ... Sleep and you lose.

We had a complaint regarding a topic about a developer moving from a Sony studio to a Microsoft studio and how it didn't deserve an entire thread. This thread is dedicated to a single review and that same person hasn't made a peep.

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
I expect this to be a massive dump of create your own non-game piles of shit.

Brb, going to play rpgmaker ...

:messenger_expressionless:

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
I always don’t fully trust review scores from the official magazines because there is more chance they are bias. I’ve always found that scores skew slightly higher with official magazines too. Combined with the fact that I don’t care so much for reviews in general and scores in particular anymore, this 10 doesn’t have me that hyped in any way.

The only review scores I’ve historically cared about are those from Edge.

Anyway, congrats to Dreams all the same. It’s looking to be an amazing release.
I think scores may tend to skew higher on console specific websites than magazines....Tbf, some of the harshest critics of a few PS games I have seen, have been given by PS magazines.......

Top Bottom