• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dreams Game Informer Coverage This Month

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I'm just wondering, is this VR? And there's another live stream this Thursday at 5pm BST:

gNqkpId.gif

Last edited:

Dunki

I'm just wondering, is this VR? And there's another live stream this Thursday at 5pm BST:

gNqkpId.gif

As far as I know Dreams supports VR So my guess is yes. But it also does depend if you have a pro or not. Since there are basically no limits you can decide how well games should run. If you put a lot of stuff in there it will run at a lower fps rate.

nowhat

As far as I know Dreams supports VR So my guess is yes. But it also does depend if you have a pro or not. Since there are basically no limits you can decide how well games should run. If you put a lot of stuff in there it will run at a lower fps rate.
This is what Media Molecule has said on the subject: http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2018/10/dreams_will_run_at_60_frames-per-second_unless_you_break_it

So I guess for VR that'd be 60fps "reprojected" to 120Hz at best. That makes for some good trolling potential though - make stuff that runs at 60fps for the most time, then suddenly make it drop to mid-teens and people get sick.

GenericUser

The artstyle is already making me not want to play the game. I also think this "do it yourself" formula never really worked. It's nice to play around with the tools for a little bit, but even if you do invest time into creating something cool, it never pays off. Your creation will still be buried underneath the gazillions of shit that other people create. I don't think dreams will be different in this regard.

Last edited:

Dunki

The artstyle is already making me not want to play the game. I also think this "do it yourself" formula never really worked. It's nice to play around with the tools for a little bit, but even if you do invest time into creating something cool, it never pays off. Your creation will still be buried underneath the gazillions of shit that other people create. I don't think dreams will be different in this regard.
What Artstyle? you can do your own artstyle. You can do 3D, 2D pixel, realistic basiallly everything. The Artstyle depends on the person creating it.

GenericUser

What Artstyle? you can do your own artstyle. You can do 3D, 2D pixel, realistic basiallly everything. The Artstyle depends on the person creating it.
I think you are still restricted to the assets that they provide with the game. I don't think you can import own textures/models etc. To me, there seems to be a disctinct look that stays the same throughout all the dreams footage I've seen yet.

Dunki

I think you are still restricted to the assets that they provide with the game. I don't think you can import own textures/models etc. To me, there seems to be a disctinct look that stays the same throughout all the dreams footage I've seen yet.
As far as I know you create them to sculpting. I am sure there are also assets but in the videos they show how you create them, how you give them physics etc.

like this

And how do you see a artstyle here?

Last edited:

GenericUser

As far as I know you create them to sculpting. I am sure there are also assets but in the videos they show how you create them, how you give them physics etc.

like this

And how do you see a artstyle here?

Ah ok, I've not been following this game too much, so I've not seen the stuff you posted. While I still don't like what I see, I gotta admit that is pretty impressive for a console game.

Dunki

Ah ok, I've not been following this game too much, so I've not seen the stuff you posted. While I still don't like what I see, I gotta admit that is pretty impressive for a console game.
I personally think that it is not impressive gfx wise but the fact that these games have a High quality Indy games level. I saw one example that would be almost on the same level as Ori and the Blind forest.

Last edited:

Dunki

This seems very interesting, how have I never heard of it before? Is it a new announcement?
Its from 2015 I believe XD. The announcement was about a puppet theatre or a musical play with puppets controlled by the move controller.

It is out this year and beta soon.

Last edited:

Enygger_Tzu

Banned
I do not wish to be seen like I am port-begging, but I think Sony should consider port this game to PC, the modding options of this game could be a serious seller potential.

GenericUser

I personally think that it is not impressive gfx wise but the fact that these games have a High quality Indy games level. I saw one example that would be almost on the same level as Ori and the Blind forest.
Cool. But keep in mind that is all marketing. Stuff that the devs made to show you whats possible. I highly doubt we will see a lot of these "high profile" stuff once the game becomes available for everybody. Just like with little bit planet, the level marketplace in the game will probably be a clusterfuck and the actual good stuff (if it will exist) will be buried underneath all the crap. I'd love to be proven wrong, but I would even bet money that it will turn out this way. It's cool that they are making this very ambitious game, but I doubt it will take off as some people expect it to. I don't think we will see good games made in dreams. Funny novelties yes, but nothing more.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Cool. But keep in mind that is all marketing. Stuff that the devs made to show you whats possible. I highly doubt we will see a lot of these "high profile" stuff once the game becomes available for everybody. Just like with little bit planet, the level marketplace in the game will probably be a clusterfuck and the actual good stuff (if it will exist) will be buried underneath all the crap. I'd love to be proven wrong, but I would even bet money that it will turn out this way. It's cool that they are making this very ambitious game, but I doubt it will take off as some people expect it to. I don't think we will see good games made in dreams. Funny novelties yes, but nothing more.

You will be proven wrong. Dreams is set up to promote the creator first and the creations second. LBP only promoted the creations and you had to go out of your way to follow the creators. If you make good assets, you'll be promoted in that category more then someone who doesn't. It's the same with all categories.

Dunki

Given what people even did with LBP i am pretty confident that these people will surpass everything MM has done in the Beta alone. But yeah I really hope they have tools to show the real creative shit. Good point is also that there wont be trophy levels etc. So this garbage is already out XD

Racer!

You can make your own models/textures/logic/physics etc. Pre made assets are there if you need them, either as a finished prop or as a startingpoint for your own.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

Only because most things you've seen so far are made by MM. Of course they're going to have a similar style to the game they're making that's coming with Dreams. You don't have to have that painterly look.

edit: Beaten it seems.

Last edited:

julio_grr

I am really looking forward to play Dreams. All we see so far is really impressive.
But I am a little bit afraid that what we see looks like short tech demos. The look and feel of some of the platformers we see in this thread is incredible but how long/big will it be in the final game? I do hope it won't be a long collection of five minutes mini-games with little to no purpose for each one.
I'd love to have a full game like this last one.
Plus, how do they plan to tell a story? Actually, will there be one or will this be just a collection of "dreams" ??

Dunki

I am really looking forward to play Dreams. All we see so far is really impressive.
But I am a little bit afraid that what we see looks like short tech demos. The look and feel of some of the platformers we see in this thread is incredible but how long/big will it be in the final game? I do hope it won't be a long collection of five minutes mini-games with little to no purpose for each one.

Plus, how do they plan to tell a story? Actually, will there be one or will this be just a collection of "dreams" ??
They said a few hours for the Story. What other people do is unkown but giving that they can do 100^4 maps the games could be hours if people actually put that much effort into it.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

There's a short campaign starring Art, a down and out musician who has lost his muse. This section is a point and click adventure. This is interwoven into games related to his childhood toys, namely D-Bug, Francis, Foxy and Lancewing. D-Bug is a sci-fi platformer and Foxy/Francis is a colourful adventure.

Last edited:

Kreydo

Everything was disgusting in that trailer, the worse part still was the whole candy hypocrite working atmosphere.

Kreydo

What on earth ... ?
I was talking about the trailer on the OP by GameIformer, not the last one.
I just can't stand when they advertise games and show how "happy" all those devs are together... I have worked as a game dev and I know how it is.

Last edited:

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I was talking about the trailer on the OP by GameIformer, not the last one.
I just can't stand when they advertise games and show how "happy" all those devs are together... I have worked as a game dev and I know how it is.

Oh, OK, I can't completely disagree but it's rather an obscure thing to bring up.

Last edited:

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
They should sell it as $30 players edition and $40 designer edition with a $10 DLC to upgrade from I've to the other.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
They should sell it as $30 players edition and $40 designer edition with a $10 DLC to upgrade from I've to the other.

That would be a terrible idea. Even if you didn't get a story mode, Dreams is worth far more than $60 or £55. You're even advocating for DLC ... Anything that is added will be free, as will everything you download from the community. Maybe at a later date, if Healey gets his way, we'll be able to sell our creations on PSN.

Last edited:

julio_grr

There's a short campaign starring Art, a down and out musician who has lost his muse. This section is a point and click adventure. This is interwoven into games related to his childhood toys, namely D-Bug, Francis, Foxy and Lancewing. D-Bug is a sci-fi platformer and Foxy/Francis is a colourful adventure.
Oh thank you, I did not see this trailer, even if it's from dec 2017. We're kinda overwhelmed with videos I must admit.
Man this hypes me even more. I hope they do deliver a strong (and hopefully not short ;)) story, that also helps see the potential of the creator tools.
Then if the community can create great experiences that go far beyond just small demos, it will be a blast.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Oh thank you, I did not see this trailer, even if it's from dec 2017. We're kinda overwhelmed with videos I must admit.
Man this hypes me even more. I hope they do deliver a strong (and hopefully not short ;)) story, that also helps see the potential of the creator tools.
Then if the community can create great experiences that go far beyond just small demos, it will be a blast.

It's going to be relatively short and I have no reason to believe that will change significantly. But baring in mind every single stream they've done has been to do with the tools, nearly all conversation on forums has been about the tools and the ONLY reason people like the gifs is to see what's possible with those tools, the campaign is not the reason people will buy Dreams.

mckmas8808

Banned

The story is only 3 hours, so I hope that doesn't deflate your excitement.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
wait didnt tthey say 2018 in the rapid question thingy from gameinformer?
If you go back through this thread, you'll see three vids I posted that I said suggested Dreams wasn't releasing this year. This was followed by more videos just like it with a shift to promising 'the beta this year' without acknowledging a release date. At that point it was only speculation on my part, but in a recent interview with Shawn Layden, about not having a PSX, he mentioned two games that were releasing in 2019: Days Gone and Dreams.

edit: Sorry, it was a thread on another forum.

Last edited:

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Sorry if this is off-topic, but is he saying TLOU2 won't be released in 2019?

No. He's just acknowledging what he knows is coming in 2019 and is safe to say. I'm sure TLOU2 is going to be moved around internally based on when Sony think would be the most impactful time for it to release.

Last edited:
Top Bottom