• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dreams opens lower than 1.5k in Japan (Retail only, does not factor early access, policestationx tries to start console war)

Naval gazing gone wrong. Cool tools. But I never understood how well LBP sold considering how shit the platforming actually was.

Yet to see anything in dreams that actually looks fun to play that doesn't just look budget and weird.

What numbers? Post launch sales, or Early Access as well?
All of it instead of users, players, and mau pr statements.

1st party sales data like this.
yTYsBta.png

Hope this is just because most people bought it in different ways, the developer obviously put a lot of work into this software so would be sad to see it fail like project spark did.

Psykodad

Banned
All of it instead of users, players, and mau pr statements.

1st party sales data like this.
yTYsBta.png
I know what 1st party sales data is.

Then the next question would be how you define failure or success for something like Dreams, because it isn't a game.

Last edited:

redfirm

Banned
You mean someone got a job in gamedev after creating a level in Dreams? I dunno seems far fetched. Don't you need to know something in programming especially if you want to be a game designer?
I remember back in the days, google hired people who where clanleaders in big games such as world of warcraft. i think this is a great start for someone to understand that creating a game is different than playing one.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I have to say that is disappointing. MM spent far too long skirting around the messaging, showing videos of Kareem making yet another 'abstract city' out of one skulpt, and not promoting heavily enough to the lego builders of the world. I said it dozens of times on many forums and here it is, home to roost. Couple that with the worse search engine I've ever had the misfortune to experience, and, again, I have to be honest, I dislike using Dreams. Love the creators, love the tools, love a lot of the creative Dreamers out there, but HATE actually using Dreams as the so called 'Youtube' of gaming. They failed dismally in the most important aspect of the game and made it almost impossible for true creative people to shine. It hurts me to have to say this but, for completely different reasons than the shallow takes of the dissenters, intimately, they could have got it right. MM could be in trouble.

There are no wounds to lick here though, folks. Without the constant bombardment of stupid assholes, we could have had a sensible and honest conversation about Dreams, just as we could have with NMS.

Last edited:
This is proof that Sony aren't money whores like Micro$oft penis.

If MM was a first party Micro$oft studio, it would've closed down a LONG TIME AGO, A REAL LONG TIME AGO! WAY BEFORE SONY HAS PS2 KITS! WAY BEFORE DAVE CHAPPELLE HAD TWO KIDS!

MiyazakiHatesKojima is one of the most pathetic human bring (yes bring, not being) I have ever seen (well, didn't seen him in real-life, but still, seen) in my life.

You will never make something as great or even close to Dreams. The only thing you'll ever make in your live is a fool of yourself in front of the whole SonyGAF community.

Also, people calling Microsoft "Micro$oft" have usually a very small penis and are not edgy at all.

Porcile

You mean someone got a job in gamedev after creating a level in Dreams? I dunno seems far fetched. Don't you need to know something in programming especially if you want to be a game designer?

Lol tell that to all the games journalists that suddenly get jobs designing games.

Last edited:

_Justinian_

Gold Member
Marketing. I blame marketing. I didn't even know this game existed until I happened to hear an ad playing in a Gamestop store while I was browsing around. The dad jokes in the ad made me cringe.

MiyazakiHatesKojima is one of the most pathetic human bring (yes bring, not being) I have ever seen (well, didn't seen him in real-life, but still, seen) in my life.

You will never make something as great or even close to Dreams. The only thing you'll ever make in your live is a fool of yourself in front of the whole SonyGAF community.

Also, people calling Microsoft "Micro$oft" have usually a very small penis and are not edgy at all.

Calling Microsoft Micro$oft is equal to this :

It's MS. They have tons of money bruh

Terenty

People keep calling it a game, but its not a game, that's the whole problem. Its an editor, a tool to create something, and for all its casual friendly looks its not so easy to use for the casual crowd which is 99% of PS users.

If it was a game with a set pratagonist and a plot ala Comix Zone for example, where you have to create things, any things you like, any levels you like in order to progress to the next stage or smth it would be a much easier sell imho

xrnzaaas

I'm more surprised Tearaway was so low.
I think the art style of this game was a hard one to sell, personally I loved it, but I understand some people might find it too weird. Also it didn't help that it was initially only a Vita release, they should've released it on PS3 straight away. I've finished it on the PS4 and I didn't feel like I was playing an inferior version compared to the Vita one.

Last edited:

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
81pmXOtHStL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

So around 3k in UK and below 1.5k in Japan.

For comparison, MM other games 1st week of sales
Tearaway first week - 1,294
LBP first week - 47,086
LBP2 first week - 24,736

This might very well be the final nail in Media Molecule's coffin. Seven years, then sold at a really nice price, still no demand, no monetization strategy - Sony killed their VR studio lately. They killed Liverpool. They killed Evolution. I don't see a happy ending for Media Molecule here.

This game will be bigger by the end of the year. Once they add multiplayer.

I havent played the story, but how long is it?
Two hours.

Last edited:

The real Simon Gosejohann has better humor than that. Just saying.

Kenpachii

People keep calling it a game, but its not a game, that's the whole problem. Its an editor, a tool to create something, and for all its casual friendly looks its not so easy to use for the casual crowd which is 99% of PS users.

If it was a game with a set pratagonist and a plot ala Comix Zone for example, where you have to create things, any things you like, any levels you like in order to progress to the next stage or smth it would be a much easier sell imho

A game maker gives you additional content towards the main game if it picks up. This is why modding on PC is interesting. But u need a main game and u need something that it can leeches on. Skyrim wouldn't have sold if it was nothing but a game maker.

If they had a IP people cared about like uncharted, they could simple say oh here you got a game maker as extra feature that is so powerful it can build the entire game for you. Now u guys can make your own levels or even other games and then it needs to be super super simple.

That's why little big planet sold, because it had extra content that would always be refreshing until they milked the IP to there death and nobody cared for it anymore.

Mario maker, minecraft, gta and 3000 more games understand this concept.

This is why dreams was always going to tank. It acts like a full blown game maker and nothing else which it falls short on when u have already fully fletched products on PC that u can actually sell your game on and actually have a half decent platform u can build the game on. if u cared with fund solutions and host solutions all at your disposal.

Then u had those clowns that thought this shit was the second coming of christ and people that criticize it ( basically asked questions ) pinned down with classic no man sky comments of delusion such as "u just don't understand it man".

Anybody with any critical thinking could see this title fall flat on there face straight out of the gate.

darkinstinct

I have to say that is disappointing. MM spent far too long skirting around the messaging, showing videos of Kareem making yet another 'abstract city' out of one skulpt, and not promoting heavily enough to the lego builders of the world. I said it dozens of times on many forums and here it is, home to roost. Couple that with the worse search engine I've ever had the misfortune to experience, and, again, I have to be honest, I dislike using Dreams. Love the creators, love the tools, love a lot of the creative Dreamers out there, but HATE actually using Dreams as the so called 'Youtube' of gaming. They failed dismally in the most important aspect of the game and made it almost impossible for true creative people to shine. It hurts me to have to say this but, for completely different reasons than the shallow takes of the dissenters, intimately, they could have got it right. MM could be in trouble.

There are no wounds to lick here though, folks. Without the constant bombardment of stupid assholes, we could have had a sensible and honest conversation about Dreams, just as we could have with NMS.

Seriously, finding content is the worst offense in Dreams. And I think part of the problem is that you can only upvote. There needs to be a more radical system that separates the trash from the diamonds. Maybe a 1 to 5 stars system. Seems to work fine for most services.

I know right.. Haven't heard a single studio who builds their games on Dreams..

darkinstinct

50 people about to lose their jobs.
Possibly. But they will find new ones instantly. Supermassive is in Guildford, 22Cans, Hello Games, Criterion, Wargaming. Guildford is the European game development hub, they would find a new job in a day.. Playground Games is also not too far away.

Vawn

Banned

Oh now you believe me?

MMaRsu

Banned
The main point of game development for company is to sell the game to make money for company.

Drive Club dev was canned because of that.

No, that dev was canned because Driveclub was honestly a shitshow of a launch and post launch support.

And I loved Driveclub.

Psykodad

Banned
A game maker gives you additional content towards the main game if it picks up. This is why modding on PC is interesting. But u need a main game and u need something that it can leeches on. Skyrim wouldn't have sold if it was nothing but a game maker.

If they had a IP people cared about like uncharted, they could simple say oh here you got a game maker as extra feature that is so powerful it can build the entire game for you. Now u guys can make your own levels or even other games and then it needs to be super super simple.

That's why little big planet sold, because it had extra content that would always be refreshing until they milked the IP to there death and nobody cared for it anymore.

Mario maker, minecraft, gta and 3000 more games understand this concept.

This is why dreams was always going to tank. It acts like a full blown game maker and nothing else which it falls short on when u have already fully fletched products on PC that u can actually sell your game on and actually have a half decent platform u can build the game on. if u cared with fund solutions and host solutions all at your disposal.

Then u had those clowns that thought this shit was the second coming of christ and people that criticize it ( basically asked questions ) pinned down with classic no man sky comments of delusion such as "u just don't understand it man".

Anybody with any critical thinking could see this title fall flat on there face straight out of the gate.
What a nonsense.

If they were to add a full story campaign, it would've taken even longer than these 7 years to release the game.
In that case they would've been forced to skip this gen entirely and by the time they would release it, people would've complained that they skipped PS4 and moaned about why they didn't release the creator tools first?

The biggest problem is convincing the PC experts who swear by the PC game engines they don't even use, that it's okay to release a new game engine that's accessible to all the non-PC gamers and give them the ability to create whatever without having to worry about coding and all that.

Another problem is marketing, because this is the first time a developer managed to actually release a proper game engine creator tool.
But the fact that they succeeded is why Dreams is getting all the praise.

People cheering about low sales at launch for something like Dreams, are a cancer to the industry, because this is less about a Sony IP and more about a product that can move the gaming industry forward in the console space.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

No, that dev was canned because Driveclub was honestly a shitshow of a launch and post launch support.

And I loved Driveclub.
What? Driveclub improved a ton thanks to post launch support. The servers got more stable, the dev added big new features like weather effects (which made the game look insane) and later on they even offered sim-like mode for those wanting a bigger challenge.

Kenpachii

What a nonsense.

If they were to add a full story campaign, it would've taken even longer than these 7 years to release the game.
In that case they would've been forced to skip this gen entirely and by the time they would release it, people would've complained that they skipped PS4 and moaned about why they didn't release the creator tools first?

The biggest problem is convincing the PC experts who swear by the PC game engines they don't even use, that it's okay to release a new game engine that's accessible to all the non-PC gamers and give them the ability to create whatever without having to worry about coding and all that.

Another problem is marketing, because this is the first time a developer managed to actually release a proper game engine creator tool.
But the fact that they succeeded is why Dreams is getting all the praise.

People cheering about low sales at launch for something like Dreams, are a cancer to the industry, because this is less about a Sony IP and more about a product that can move the gaming industry forward in the console space.

U sound like the guy that makes a company because he wants a company not because he has invented a product that everybody wants so badly he has to build a company now to push it out towards those people.

Guess which company is going bankrupt? and which is successful?

This is exactly the thinking what makes u believe in this type of shit.

PC has game engines where even sony makes there games in mate, nobody at sony is making there games in dreams. That should already tell you something. It's nothing but a toy but for who?

Also how's this pushing the gaming industry forwards on console space when minecraft and mario maker already exist and lots of "game maker" type of games? Hell even little big planet existed.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
I find it funny people say Dreams is dead because it sold 1500 physical copies in Japan (which ignores all the other factor outlined in the updated thread title) - not its target audience.

Xbox One sold maybe 100 units that week in Japan. So is Xbox doomed?

Last edited:

GenericUser

I don't whish the devs any ill, but people who thought this game would take off within days or weeks clearly were delusional. Maybe it's a slow burner like the first mario maker, but I doubt it. Mario maker has the benefit that creating levels is simple and straightforward, dreams (from what I've heard) is far more complex.

Like others said, this thing would probably work better on PC (and with a better search function/rating system).

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
What? Driveclub improved a ton thanks to post launch support. The servers got more stable, the dev added big new features like weather effects (which made the game look insane) and later on they even offered sim-like mode for those wanting a bigger challenge.

Yeah and it took them months and many more months.

Months that were not kind to the game's population.

Like I said, I LOVED Driveclub and was one of the biggest defenders of it on GAF. People shat all over it, they didn't like the handling.

The way the game was handled was terrible, and Sony is partly to blame here.

Dane

I don't whish the devs any ill, but people who thought this game would take off within days or weeks clearly were delusional. Maybe it's a slow burner like the first mario maker, but I doubt it. Mario maker has the benefit that creating levels is simple and straightforward, dreams (from what I've heard) is far more complex.

Like others said, this thing would probably work better on PC (and with a better search function/rating system).

Maybe that's why MM wanted on PC, its the platform where almost all user content is made for.

I think what also didn't help was a lack of marketing, they expected a mix of creation as a minecraft with a bunch of user made games as Newgrounds, and probably a sales sucess of the former..

Top Bottom