• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dreams |OT| A World Of Pure Imagination

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I finally finished my Oak Tree tutorial and here's the result. I'm quite happy with it:

40929267333_c8e07f3b3b_o.jpg

Last edited:
So if I wanted to buy this game just to download (within the game, I assume) other peoples games, that works too, right?

I suck at designing and creating stuff but I can't wait to see all the cool stuff other people made

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
So if I wanted to buy this game just to download (within the game, I assume) other peoples games, that works too, right?

I suck at designing and creating stuff but I can't wait to see all the cool stuff other people made

Yeah, it works like Youtube in that regard. You don't have to make anything if you don't want to.

Unknown?

I'm loving this game a lot! I recorded a bit of gameplay footage of the Sonic fangames that are already there. I really think this will open up Sonic fangames to a wider audience. It takes some practice but it is ultimately easier than learning coding to make your own. I can see a ton of amazing things from this by the next year!

Last edited by a moderator:

scalman

if its pure imagination ....why people make remakes of existing famous games then ? i dont see those type interesting really... still waiting why i should jump in Dreams.... i want something new and never seen before.

Psykodad

Banned
if its pure imagination ....why people make remakes of existing famous games then ? i dont see those type interesting really... still waiting why i should jump in Dreams.... i want something new and never seen before.
Maybe it's because people are still learning?
I think some are seriously underestimating Dreams and how deep it is. There aren't that much tutorials, so progress can take quite some time and with that in mind, it's quite easy to see why people "copy" existing games.

I came to just drop a video, but I might as well address this type of "concern":

This is what I came to post:

It's from a test-animation collabo with someone whom I had some fun with remixing eachothers creations. Ended up doing this little animation short I posted earlier.
As you can see, in the video I just posted, the animation and special. effects have been improved.
It might seem simple and maybe a "copy" of dragonball, but if I have to make a guess it took me about 100 hours since I got Early Access, if not more including one week of the beta, for me to get to this point. And I'm merely scratching the surface.

The same probably goes for lots of other Dreamers. It needs time. That's most likely why they even started this EA, so that when the game finally releases, people like you already have tons of creations to play and use and there will already be a core community that can help and guide people.

Maybe I come across as a bit harsh, not my intention, but people are dismissing it far too easily imo.

Edit:

Replace the video above with an improved version.

Thinking about doing an indepth tutorial on creating animations later today.

Last edited:

scalman

thats good video thats what i want to see... i thought its amazing tool but we need to wait some i guess to see some amazing products made with it. i think we dont need make remakes or old games just some new stuff

Psykodad

Banned
thats good video thats what i want to see... i thought its amazing tool but we need to wait some i guess to see some amazing products made with it. i think we dont need make remakes or old games just some new stuff
Yeah, that I agree with. lol
There's some amazing original stuff out there though.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

Did you not look at my post directly above yours?

Geki-D

Banned
Watching all of these tutorials and creation videos, I've noticed that everyone always seems to use pad. Are people finding the DS4 better than Moves?

Psykodad

Banned
Watching all of these tutorials and creation videos, I've noticed that everyone always seems to use pad. Are people finding the DS4 better than Moves?
I think a lot of people never bought the Moves.

Personally, I think Moves are better for sculpting and DS4 for everything else.
Can't imagine how horrible it would be to manually animate characters with the Move-controllers. Or do all the logic and gameplay design and stuff.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
I think a lot of people never bought the Moves.

Personally, I think Moves are better for sculpting and DS4 for everything else.
Can't imagine how horrible it would be to manually animate characters with the Move-controllers. Or do all the logic and gameplay design and stuff.
Yeah, most likely. Honestly, I have 2 Moves and at times even sculpting isn't all that great. The issue with them is that moving around in the 3D space is a real chore. If they had analogues on them it would be way better but constantly grabbing and pulling feels pretty bad.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Haus of Bevis has been pulled from the Dreamiverse because of 'inappropriate content'. Art is dead.

Carry on like this Sony, and you're going to fail next gen.

Psykodad

Banned
Hashtag Spam

Guess I accidently made my first ever music video lol

**** Stealth-edit: reuploaded reworked version of the music video ****

Haus of Bevis has been pulled from the Dreamiverse because of 'inappropriate content'. Art is dead.

Carry on like this Sony, and you're going to fail next gen.

That's what I've been saying in that Keke thread, we need full artistic freedom. Art is subjective.

Last edited:
I'm having a blast with the creation tool, even if it's hard for me every day I learn new things, I'm really enjoying my time in creating things.
One thing that I really couldn't figure out is how to carry some sort of progress or values between different levels.
For example, If I let the player choose the character, then how can I carry that choice in the following levels?
Suggestions?
Right now I made multiple exit and multiple versions of every level based on that choice, but it's crazy and it will not work on the long run.

Geki-D

Banned
One thing that I really couldn't figure out is how to carry some sort of progress or values between different levels.
For example, If I let the player choose the character, then how can I carry that choice in the following levels?
Suggestions?
Right now I made multiple exit and multiple versions of every level based on that choice, but it's crazy and it will not work on the long run.
Maybe this can help?:

GermanZepp

Guys I just bought the early access. Thrilled to begin. Being a musician I'm going to explore soundtrack creation. Do you folks recommend move controllers? Cause I got a couple but I lack the ps4 camera. Edit: oh the game has no language selector.

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
So, finished that basic music video (at least, for the time being):

I have two questions that maybe someone could help me with:
- How can I create that flashing effect with the lights, without having to place a light every other frame? Someone said that maybe I could connect it to a timer, but where do I find that and how does that work?

- What's the deal with the thermos? I wanted to put in more puppets, but now I'm limited at 5 puppets. I was at 8 puppets max in the previous version, the one I uploaded earlier (gameplay thermo was at 98%). How does all that work?

Last edited:

GermanZepp

Made a more in-depth tutorial on creating animations with keyframes and adding some special effects.
Never really done this before I got my hands on Dreams, so the quality is kinda poor and it's quite lengthy due to not using a script. 😅

Dude i watched your videos, you are amazing, i'm going to subscribe. Keep the good work man. Yesterday i bought the Early Access, i played a lot and i made all the beginners tutorials, today i going for the masterclass tutorial.

Top Bottom