• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dreams |OT| A World Of Pure Imagination

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
How tweakable are the physics and animations? My main gripe with LBP is that -- while there were many ways to create alternative forms of movement -- the core physics remained the same.

It's infinite. You can use what's available on the mannequin, which has a ridiculous amount of settings, take what the community have made and adjust that if you like, or start from scratch and make everything yourself.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Dreams Surfing 37 - AUTOSURFING EXPERIMENT and a word about changes for my subs and Dreamers who send me content for feedback

GermanZepp

So how did you put the music into the game? Just hold a speaker up to the mic? Quality sounds really good.
Lol that is exactly what I did. I plug the vanilla playstation headphones into the controler and played an old YouTube video of me while recording.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Lol that is exactly what I did. I plug the vanilla playstation headphones into the controler and played an old YouTube video of me while recording.

The feature to directly upload music into Dreams is coming back soon. It was removed because of 'technical issues' (read that as copyright issues IMO)

Alfen Dave

I know the game already has its won thread but I thought this achievement deserved to be shared.

I mean, come on; let`s give the guy a clap. It`s more like a pocket FF7 but still. Reminds me of World of FF or at least Lego Edition of FF7.

Now try to image all of this with models looking like this:

(there is a modle of Cloud a bit further)

And animations looking like this:

A dedicated user could really do crazy things honestly.

Last edited:

Shifty

Mario 64 remake:

Yooo, now this is what I'm talking about! Characters that don't look drunk, and have proper moveset state machines. They even implemented Mario's useless breakdance move from 64 :messenger_grinning:

Why are people more interested in janky copies than all the far superior unique creations? They blow these away.
It's probably down to having a known point of comparison in the original games. Easier to recognize a well-implemented fangame at a glance than it is to dig through tons of unknowns, kind of like all those "[Nintendo Franchise] remade in Unreal 4!!!!" videos.

Psykodad

Banned
I know the game already has its won thread but I thought this achievement deserved to be shared.

I mean, come on; let`s give the guy a clap. It`s more like a pocket FF7 but still. Reminds me of World of FF or at least Lego Edition of FF7.

Now try to image all of this with models looking like this:

(there is a modle of Cloud a bit further)

A dedicated user could really do crazy things honestly.

Thing is, that's far from easy to pull off.
Not gonna happen anytime soon, with the thermo limitations in the game.

lucius

Can you save a playlists of levels you download, because in these create your own level games that always stopped me from continually playing. I guess mostly because I wasn't that intetested in creating levels, I would mess around with creating then get tired of that.

KOMANI

KOMANI
This “game” is so disheartening. There’s so much I don’t know, that I find it discouraging to continue. I’ve been trying to create a custom walk, and I find myself fighting with the controls. I think that’s my main gripe. The controls. I will keep working on my project, but I need to join a discord, watch more yt tutorials, and take a break. I feel like I’m in school, and not the fun kind.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
This “game” is so disheartening. There’s so much I don’t know, that I find it discouraging to continue. I’ve been trying to create a custom walk, and I find myself fighting with the controls. I think that’s my main gripe. The controls. I will keep working on my project, but I need to join a discord, watch more yt tutorials, and take a break. I feel like I’m in school, and not the fun kind.

Perhaps start with something simpler than a custom walk cycle. Just do a few sculpts, throw a level together using other people's assets and dabble a bit in logic while you're doing that. One you're familiar with the tools, you'll breeze through what you once thought was hard.

KOMANI

KOMANI
Perhaps start with something simpler than a custom walk cycle. Just do a few sculpts, throw a level together using other people's assets and dabble a bit in logic while you're doing that. One you're familiar with the tools, you'll breeze through what you once thought was hard.
Mate, i didn’t start with custom walks. I have a few dozen sculpts. I didn’t start playing this yesterday. Using the ds4 to move objects and the camera is annoying.

Psykodad

Banned
They need to fix a lot of stuff for animations and also explain things that are quite important to know.

Creating animations is very intensive and time-consuming, mind you. Personally, as an animator in Dreams, I've focused solely on that aspect and after hours upon hours of learning that mechanics, basics and all kinds of tricks, I'm still a novice.

I've made some tutorials if you're interested (bit amateurish in quality):

There's some more tutorials at my channel.
I've also got a time-lapse of how I approach a custom walk animation, but since that's part of a project I'm part of, I can't share it without "permission".

Animations just take a shit ton of time and require lots of patience.

Edit:

Regarding custom walk/movement animations:

What I do, is first complete the animation by having the model move away from that purple plateau and once I've got all the motions going, I go into a keyframe, select all bodyparts and then cycle through each keyframe and drag the model to the centre of the purple plateau (keep the centre of gravity of the model at the centre).
This way, you can ensure that when moving around with your character, the animations will be seemless. Something to keep in mind though, is that for movement animations the model always needs to be in the same place during the animation (hence why I drag the model back to its original place).

Last edited:

KOMANI

KOMANI
They need to fix a lot of stuff for animations and also explain things that are quite important to know.

Creating animations is very intensive and time-consuming, mind you. Personally, as an animator in Dreams, I've focused solely on that aspect and after hours upon hours of learning that mechanics, basics and all kinds of tricks, I'm still a novice.

I've made some tutorials if you're interested (bit amateurish in quality):

There's some more tutorials at my channel.
I've also got a time-lapse of how I approach a custom walk animation, but since that's part of a project I'm part of, I can't share it without "permission".

Animations just take a shit ton of time and require lots of patience.

Edit:

Regarding custom walk/movement animations:

What I do, is first complete the animation by having the model move away from that purple plateau and once I've got all the motions going, I go into a keyframe, select all bodyparts and then cycle through each keyframe and drag the model to the centre of the purple plateau (keep the centre of gravity of the model at the centre).
This way, you can ensure that when moving around with your character, the animations will be seemless. Something to keep in mind though, is that for movement animations the model always needs to be in the same place during the animation (hence why I drag the model back to its original place).

Ill definitely take a look, thanks. I’ve gained a whole new respect for developers from creating on dreams (even though their tools are more sophisticated than a ds4).

Psykodad

Banned
Ill definitely take a look, thanks. I’ve gained a whole new respect for developers from creating on dreams (even though their tools are more sophisticated than a ds4).
Definitely. Game development is no joke, that's for sure. lol

Top Bottom