• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dreams |OT| A World Of Pure Imagination

pcostabel

Gold Member
Gameindustry.biz

Media Molecule wants Dreams games published "to other devices and beyond"
At the View Conference, Kareen Ettouney discussed the need for Dreams to be a creative platform outside the confines of PlayStation

Media Molecule's plans for Dreams extend to giving users full commercial ownership of their creations, and allowing them to publish their games on other platforms.

"We want people to be able to go to the moon with their projects. We already have a commercial license, which means when you get Dreams you can apply to get the commercial license... And then everything you make in Dreams is yours to use commercially outside of Dreams.
[UPDATE]: After the publication of this article, a Media Molecule representative reached out to say Ettouney misspoke, that there is no commercial license available for Dreams at the moment, but it is something the studio is looking into.[/UPDATE]

"The very limited exporting features the moment are like exporting a video, but we have in the long-term [plans for] exporting a standalone game outside of Dreams entirely -- exporting to other devices and beyond.
"But step one is to show our intent -- so that from the very beginning we are doing this commercial concept, which means that everything you do in Dreams is yours. You can use it. People in the Dreams community have already been using it to make graphic design, album covers and stuff like that. Using it for their portfolios and showreels.

The article is misleading, there is no commercial license but it could come in the future.

We’re a little late uploading some of the Let’s plays we (Ugly Sofa Gaming) recorded for Halloween but here you go!

As mentioned before we’ve made some improvements to our sound quality and have started playing levels and recording audio at the same time for hopefully a better video any feedback is welcome and appreciated:

‘The Spooky Hour’ is a Halloween platformer with some fantastic scene dressing, a WIP to keep an eye on (by usedtoothbrush)

‘Pumpkin-Head’ is a very clever puzzle game with some fiendishly original ideas (by Brown_Savo)

Grinchy

Banned
Well, the urge is rising to go ahead and grab this. I miss making assets. I'm no good at it or anything, but I like doing it.

And I find that if I spend 40+ hours trying to make convincing sinks, toilets, coffeemakers, ect, that the next real game I play blows me the fuck away. RE2 came out like right around the end of the beta for this game and I had just spent a ton of time creating random assets. I started up RE2 and I found myself just walking around the damn gas station area for like 10 minutes staring at every model on the screen. I just couldn't believe the amount of work it would take to make every single one of them.

That wears off finally and I can go back to just shit-talking every game's graphics, but wow, when you are making it yourself with a blank canvas start, you really appreciate what these big teams are doing that we normally take for granted.

Top Bottom