• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dreams |OT| A World Of Pure Imagination

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I believe tomorrow is the last day to nab the early access version (which is probably cheaper than retail) before they take it down, just a heads up. I bought in to have a play over Christmas.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I believe tomorrow is the last day to nab the early access version (which is probably cheaper than retail) before they take it down, just a heads up. I bought in to have a play over Christmas.

It's taken down on the 8th :)

Reactions: AV
So happy to find the OT for Dreams, I did pick up this game before they closed the early access. I wanted to experiment with the tools and make a few things before release.

I started with the tutorials last night using my DualShock controller and quickly learned how important the Move controllers are to this game. I missed the Black Friday VR Sales, so I think I'll be picking up a set of Move controllers on their own to make my experience with this game more enjoyable. Media Molecule should push for a Move controller bundle for the launch as an option.

Grinchy

Banned
I started with the tutorials last night using my DualShock controller and quickly learned how important the Move controllers are to this game. I missed the Black Friday VR Sales, so I think I'll be picking up a set of Move controllers on their own to make my experience with this game more enjoyable. Media Molecule should push for a Move controller bundle for the launch as an option.
Yeah, I remember feeling like sculpting was horrible with the controller.

I ended up using both Moves and controller by the time I was done with the beta. They each had their advantages and disadvantages for different things.

Yeah, I remember feeling like sculpting was horrible with the controller.

I ended up using both Moves and controller by the time I was done with the beta. They each had their advantages and disadvantages for different things.

Could you go into detail about the pro and cons of each and how you used them? I haven't made the purchase of the move controllers just yet. I thought getting them used would save me $30, yet I saw a thread that said "never buy used controllers", so I've been waiting.

Could you go into detail about the pro and cons of each and how you used them? I haven't made the purchase of the move controllers just yet. I thought getting them used would save me $30, yet I saw a thread that said "never buy used controllers", so I've been waiting.
Just poking me head in here, I can answer this question from my own experience. I got used move controllers and they work fine, your experience may vary.
The move controllers are good for most everything except very fine movements, Because of the way they’re tracked if you try to hold the controller still the input the game receives will float around a bit. However, with both the move controllers and the DS4 you are able to adjust things very finely by using the analog triggers. A small trigger pull will dampen the movement quite a bit. The move controllers also let you manipulate the camera quickly though sometimes it’s a little finicky.
The DS4 is a little simpler to pick up and use, though it has its own problems. It doesn't utilize the ps camera at all so it only tracks your movement through sixaxis rotation. To adjust depth you need to use the left stick which doesn’t feel very natural.
If you want to reach into the screen and manipulate things the move controllers get you close. They start to fall down when you need maximum precision. The DS4 is more precise in some cases but not quite as natural. A combination of the 2 will allow you to switch back and forth seamlessly as needed. Hope this helps answer your question. I love the move controllers for most everything, especially creating sculptures and paintings and such. Only time I pick up the DS4 is when I’m having trouble with precision.

Grinchy

Banned
Damn, if this was a year ago when the beta was going on, I'm sure I could have typed your ear off about it. It's hard to remember now, though.

One of the funkier things I do remember with the moves was the way you moved around the 3D space while creating. I remember preferring the controller. Also for making a very exact-sized object, like say a cube, the Moves are constantly "moving" with you so it could be finicky.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Any word on if the game might come to PC at any time in the future? If not might have to hold out for a hopeful PS5 port.

It's going to be on the PS5 for certain. No port necessary. If MM decide to allow the PS5 to have more power to utilise Dreams in ways the PS4 can't, then they'll just patch it.

It's going to be on the PS5 for certain. No port necessary. If MM decide to allow the PS5 to have more power to utilise Dreams in ways the PS4 can't, then they'll just patch it.

Like with LittleBigPlanet 2 I imagine everything made in Dreams PS4 will be playable on PS5 but there may eventually be Dreams PS5 levels only playable on PS5.

Ar¢tos

It would be impossible to keep the 10 years support plan without having the game running natively instead of BC. If not patched for PS5, then a ps5 version will surely release (or both, because of new buyers when ps5 is out).
I think MM already confirmed ps5 support (no indication if when the console releases or after).

Top Bottom