• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dreams Review Thread

Handel

There are already good creations but there are also great creations.
There will be better ones, and those that are already good might see even further improvements. I have way too big of a backlog to be getting into this at the moment, there's no rush in me to be part of the zeitgeist here.

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member
funny how when people shit here on EVERY xbox thread no one gives a shit. its only a problem when someone shits on sony. hypocrisy

We handle OTs and Review threads the same, regardless of platform.

Actions and lack there of happen on all sides, regardless of platform. Your whole short post history here are in Sony threads right now doing what you are crying about, with no actions taken, ironically.

You see something, report it. Take this to the Meta thread in the Community section if you would like to continue the discussion

Ar¢tos

We handle OTs and Review threads the same, regardless of platform.

Actions and lack there of happen on all sides, regardless of platform. Your whole short post history here are in Sony threads right now doing what you are crying about, with no actions taken, ironically.

You see something, report it. Take this to the Meta thread in the Community section if you would like to continue the discussion

Being a mod on NeoGAF pre new gen must be worse than cleaning toilets :messenger_weary:, there is a lot more shit here.

MiguelItUp

While I'm not interested in the game personally, I'm really excited to see what people create! Cool to see such praise for something like this on console!

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Hmm, will EDGE review it because, you know, well they won’t be able to finish it in time...

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
I bought early access, played with it for weeks and was waiting for the VR support. Ima get into this again this week with my 12year old, he lovedddd little big planet and loves this.
I think this game will benefit greatly if it's completely VR working. There's gonna be awesome content here very very soon. What people did with LBP was awesome.

kingbean

I had my therapist review my dreams once. He was very impressed with the unique visual stylings but was put off by the copious amounts of uncomfortable sex scenes.

What?

Niked

The singel player is a knock out ❤ Its like playing a CGI pixar movie. I demand a part II and part III from MM. 3hrs of the awesome campaign is to little. Give me more! Especially these two characters:

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
It's not going to stay at 96. That's only 5 reviews (mostly from official or playstation mags), now with two more it's already down to 92. It will end up in the mid 80s.
Seems like it you were wrong in that prediction... it dropped to 91 to after go up to 93 again... never touched mid 80s.

Let’s continue tracking...

Seems like it you were wrong in that prediction... it dropped to 91 to after go up to 93 again... never touched mid 80s.

Let’s continue tracking...
Dude, quote me in a month. Hardly anyone is reviewing this game right now for whatever reason. It kinda surprises me that this only has 19 reviews, despite the fact that it was accessible for so long before launch.

I still believe that it won’t stay in the 90s, however I also still believe that putting a score under such a “game” is stupid.

And no, it didn’t jump back up to 93. It’s at 91.

Shifty1897

I'm still trying to figure out, where that sentiment is coming from or rooted from...….Media Molecule games are LBP, LBP2, Tearway…….These are all high scoring games, great quality games.....

I think the concern came from the 7+ years of dev time. Fairly rarely do games go through that kind of dev time and come out good on the other end.

Last edited:

Evilms

Banned
IGN Spain : 8.7/10
PushSquare : 10/10
EveryEye : 9/10
God Is A Geek : 10/10
GameMag : 9/10
Checkpoint Gaming : 10/10
Jack Of All Controllers : 9.5/10
Attack Of The Fanboy : 10/10
Carole Quintaine : 8.5/10
Astucejeuxps4 : 10/10
Tryagame : 9/10
Game Informer : 9.5/10
Official PlayStation Magazine : 10/10
Gamerheadquarters : 9/10
IGN Italia : 9/10
Hobby Consolas : 8.8/10
IGN US : 9/10
Gamers RD : 9.7/10
GamePro Germany : 9.3/10
The Review Geek : 9/10
PS Nation : 10/10
SpazioGames : 8.5/10
Playstation Universe : 10/10
Games.CH : 9.2/10
Gamerant : 9/10
Vandal : 8.7/10
Jeuxvidéo.com : 9/10
Destructoid : 9.5/10
4players.de : 8.2/10
Gameblog : 9/10
App Trigger : 9/10
GamingTrend : 9.5/10
GamingBolt : 9/10
WellPlayed : 10/10
Nexus Hub : 9.5/10
Presse-citron : 9/10
4wearegamers : 8/10
Merlin'in Kazani : 9/10
Screen Rant : 9/10
Games Over Online : 9.5/10
IGN France : 9/10
TheGamer : 10/10
The Games Machine : 9/10
Multiplayer.it : 8.5/10
Meristation : 8.7/10
Digital Chumps : 9/10
Kanobu.ru : 9/10
N-Gamz : 10/10
Geeko Belgium : 8.5/10
Eurogamer Italy : 9/10
Game Reactor : 10/10
TrueGaming : 9/10
PSX-Sense : 9.5/10
Fandemonium Network : 9.8/10
Dash Gamer : 9.5/10
Critical Hit : 10/10
Atomix : 9/10
Androidcentral : 9/10
IGN Benelux : 9/10
PC Galaxy : 10/10
Inside Gamer : 8.5/10
MetroTime : 10/10
PC Games : 9/10
Glitch Effect : 10/10

93/100 opencritic
91/100 metacritic

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
I think the concern came from the 7+ years of dev time. Fairly rarely do games go through that kind of dev time and come out good on the other end.
Well I guess it depends on how ambitious the game is.....Media Molecule is relatively small compared to ND, SSM, Guerilla etc...….They only have 67 employees.....

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

They built a flippin' new engine and then started making a game with it. Those 9 years weren't just making Dreams as you see it now. The engine has gone through at least 4 major iteration.

Terenty

Yeah, but if he enjoys making it, that's great though. People grind RPGs doing the same dumb shit over and over for hundreds of hours and no one ever sees what they've done.
Can you imagine creating for fun?
I've spent 6 months on just the animations for one single character in Dreams.
If people enjoy what you've created, it's worth the effort.

I agree if he had fun doing it than it's no different than playing any other game,but as a project on the whole i doubt Dreams will become something akin to Youtube, because creating even the most primitive stuff takes this much effort

Last edited:

Shin

Banned
Since Dreams is a creation tool, it might not be a bad idea to ship it by default with every PS5.
Off-topic (yet good on Media Molecule):

Last edited by a moderator:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Hey just bought this game.
Is there a way to remove this absolute RETARDED watermark "made in dreams" on my television?

nm it's in some weird menu .

Last edited:
Was looking for some creations on YouTube...Man, this game is nuts. Its LBP on crack!

Can't wait to buy my disc! (Still not available on my country)

thelastword

Banned
They built a flippin' new engine and then started making a game with it. Those 9 years weren't just making Dreams as you see it now. The engine has gone through at least 4 major iteration.
And like I've always said......I have so much respect for these guys talents....That engine will be so important for them and the industry going forward......Dreams is not just a game, it's a platform......Think of Roblox, but with a much better technical engine under the hood, the graphics you can wield in dreams is pretty much CGI, very accurate materials quality, the renderer is insane.....I can only imagine how much they can iterate upon this for PS5...…...

The engine and tools is a lot of work, lots of work, the fact that such a small team did it in so little time should be commended, because they now have a platform they can grow indefinitely....

wipeout364

This seems interesting as a tool set. What I want to know is if its worth getting if I have no interest in using the tools, ie just playing the game and user made levels. I feel like most of what I have seen are things that look cool because someone was able to make it in Dreams ie tomb raider, wipeout, PT adn other things, but gameplay looks lacking and really why would I play it rather than the original. It looks like the DOOM toolset which was kind of cool but boring after playing a few of the user made levels, but that was just a small part of a killer package. I think its really cool that people who are interested in level design and art get to use this though so not trying to dump on the game at all.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
This seems interesting as a tool set. What I want to know is if its worth getting if I have no interest in using the tools, ie just playing the game and user made levels. I feel like most of what I have seen are things that look cool because someone was able to make it in Dreams ie tomb raider, wipeout, PT adn other things, but gameplay looks lacking and really why would I play it rather than the original. It looks like the DOOM toolset which was kind of cool but boring after playing a few of the user made levels, but that was just a small part of a killer package. I think its really cool that people who are interested in level design and art get to use this though so not trying to dump on the game at all.

It's far more 'play' centric than 'create' centric, so yes. Some games play exceptionally well but you probably won't know that because 'mainstream gaming sites' can't see beyond copies, even if they're janky, and 'some' youtubers know if they show them they'll get more hits and subs. Pandering to the lowest common denominator is hurting Dreams.

Last edited:

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
does anybody know if this game is worth getting if i dont want to create my own experience but play somebody else's?
I'd say wait for a sale. Chances are by then there is actually content out there that is worth spending more time than a minute in. Most of what is out there is a tech demo at best. There are one or two amazing things (like that Dino platformer) but the vast majority is shit or cool with serious frame rate issues or shit with serious frame rate issues. Even that really good platformer has issues where you see right away that they were not created by a designer but by an artist. And that's pretty much the jist of it: Dreams is an artist's tool. But artists aren't good designers.

Niked

Im afriad MM will be shut down like the rest of the uk developers. This because MM got 7 years and produced this super risky and super nisch game/tool. The amount of people that have played the main story is not even above 100k...I hope MM gets to do a fully developed game and release it soon... Otherwise I cant see them survive?

mekes

Really enjoyed Arts Story, it’s a great showcase. I downloaded the game late this evening and haven’t had time to start exploring user creations or tinkering myself yet, but the package at first glance seems to be of high quality. I’m looking forward to having a few hours on it again tomorrow.

Kerotan

Well I guess it depends on how ambitious the game is.....Media Molecule is relatively small compared to ND, SSM, Guerilla etc...….They only have 67 employees.....
For 7 years staff wages were probably only 2 to 3 million. I'd say the overall budget for this game is quite low. How will they monetize it post launch?

kiphalfton

For 7 years staff wages were probably only 2 to 3 million. I'd say the overall budget for this game is quite low. How will they monetize it post launch?

$2 million to $3 million for 67 staff members, over 7 years? Not sure if you're being serious right now.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
3 hour campaign? Going to wait for the bargain bin. I was disappointed with their previous works for the price and content within. A lot of these creator-style games tend to only have very short, tiny little experiences. Nothing ground breaking either. Fun for pick up and play, but full price is a very hard sell.

Psykodad

Banned
3 hour campaign? Going to wait for the bargain bin. I was disappointed with their previous works for the price and content within. A lot of these creator-style games tend to only have very short, tiny little experiences. Nothing ground breaking either. Fun for pick up and play, but full price is a very hard sell.
Dreams is community driven. That's the whole point of Dreams.

And people need to learn the tools and how to use them, hence the short experiences.
The bigger project will require months, if not years to make. Just like any other game.

Top Bottom