• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DriveClub (Evolution Studios/PS4) announcement trailer. [PS3 WHEELS ARE SUPPORTED]

Raymo

Nice to see they are utilizing the gpu compute some:

"You already have a lot of CPU power at your disposal," he says. "I think with many of the first generation PS4 titles, developers probably won't need to worry about it – they'll be able to get a lot out of parallelism across the CPU cores – but for teams who are a bit more ambitious, who want to do interesting things, it's just waiting there. We're doing some of that in DriveClub and I'm sure other guys will go further – and the platform guys will expose more of that functionality through the lifespan of the machine, unlocking more potential."

Mifune

Mehmber
More people need to read that Guardian article, I found it quite insightful, even without new screenshots or footage, you get a better sense of the scale the devs are aiming for.

Agreed, although I 'd add that the earlier Guardian article is great too. First time I've really understood what Evolution is going for with the club gameplay.

GameSeeker

WHAT? Is this game going to come out 40% complete or something???

How in the world are you STILL demoing one of your flagship titles with a build that's from last year 3 MONTHS before launch?

Putting out demo builds takes valuable developer resources away from getting the game finished by launch. Evolution did a demo build for E3 and they have promised another for Gamescom in 2 weeks. Don't expect them to put out new builds every few weeks or at other gaming events.

RoKKeR

chromatic aberration

big-red-nope-button.gif

The article was a promising read, looking forward to Gamescom.

Sorc3r3r

Somewhere between Horizon and Most Wanted = PGR4. :D

Also, ex-PGR guy most likely Ged Talbot. Fake edit: Just having a quick look on LinkedIn (my old, stalkery friend) I noticed there were a number of people on DriveClub who aren't listed as working for Evolution. So even though GT is the main guy people know as ex-Bizarre, it looks like there are probably another 4-5 from there who are working on DC.

This has me excited. VERY excited.

FWIW, Ged did the following at Bizarre:
QA lead on MSR.
"Production" on PGR1.
Vehicle handling lead *and* on the design and balance team of PGR2 (VERY big qualifications here)
One of the many "leads" on PGR3
*Sole* lead designer on PGR4 (my favourite, so another big tick)
and was just listed as "staff" on Blur, but that could mean anything.

Hype++

For the new page,btw i'm pretty re-hyped about this game.

The whole dynamicity of the envrionment sounds great too, it will be interesting to know if rain can occur random while racing and how much the handling of the cars is affected.
But in the end what it's more important is how fun will be to play this game, and the first quote seems pretty reassuring.

I'm curious to get a better illustration on the asynchronous/synchronous multyplayer aspect of the game, there is a fierce competion by N4S :Rivals and The Crew on this point, and to be honest going in the next gen, this is a very important parameter for choosing a game over the other one.

P.s.
35% again :(
I'm worried.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
To anyone worried about the 35% figure, these kinds of things happen all the time when putting demos together and it's more pronounced during console prerelease. Lots of times internal builds have poor framerates and they need to dial back to an older build to show it in public and there's a chance they may have pushed passed the capabilities of the dev kits they were on, which would make the showing even worse than it would be just from being unoptimized. Making demos takes a lot of time, which is why they're still showing the E3 demo. I think the same thing happened to Shadow Fall at E3, they needed to get the open environment working well for the demo so several of the visual effects from the Feb reveal were missing and the new character models hadn't been implemented yet. I'm hoping both games have stepped it up for Gamescom.

GodofWine

I just want to fast forward to release of these consoles just so this 35% chatter is over.

I'd rather then say f it, and keep the same demo until the game is gold, and spend every man hour on shining it, than taking weeks to carve out a 5 minute demo.

but i am looking forward to the gamescon fresh build footage.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'd be happy with 30fps. PGR was amazing and 30fps, ex-Bizarre guys will know you can have 30fps and great handling.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I just want to fast forward to release of these consoles just so this 35% chatter is over.

I'd rather then say f it, and keep the same demo until the game is gold, and spend every man hour on shining it, than taking weeks to carve out a 5 minute demo.

I'm normally in favor of this approach but they really need to get some positive PR going for this game again, especially with launch only ~3 months away. Word of mouth impressions are important right now.

Skeff

I'm not too thrilled that 30fps seems acceptable on next-gen hardware.

30 fps will never go away thanks to new hardware, it's a design decision, no matter what hardware your running on if your hitting 60fps, you could have chosen to make it prettier at 30 fps.

velociraptor

Of course they are but at least they want the right thing. So don't be too harsh on them.
Don't get me wrong - I too would like to see Evolution to deliver 60FPS.

But it's highly unlikely to come about. As Jett said, a 30FPS games does not magically double it's framerate over the course of development. You either target 30, or 60, and that is that.

GodofWine

Word of mouth impressions are important right now.

This will be the most visible launch title on either console since its free* . Word of mouth wont even be needed before launch since its on ps+, it will just have, HAVE to be stellar or it'll sell no full version upgrades..and then word of mouth, many many mouths, kicks in.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
This will be the most visible launch title on either console since its free* . Word of mouth wont even be needed before launch since its on ps+, it will just have, HAVE to be stellar or it'll sell no full version upgrades..and then word of mouth, many many mouths, kicks in.

I wonder how many people are going to troll DC's retail sales. No one is going to buy it at retail since you can try it for free then get the upgrade at a discount.

I wonder how many people are going to troll DC's retail sales. No one is going to buy it at retail since you can try it for free then get the upgrade at a discount.
Yeah that's my plan for sure. It'll be tough to make any overall sales judgments for this game unless Sony gives us upgrade numbers. Of course with digital ramping up everywhere, physical retail sales are becoming progressively less relevant and I don't think NPD has anything in place to get numbers from these closed systems.

The "upgrade at a discount" seems crazy to me. Maybe they'll try to offset that with pre-order bonuses?

If so, do any of the pre-order bonuses apply to the digital download version as well?

Yoday

I'm not too thrilled that 30fps seems acceptable on next-gen hardware.
Framerate has nothing to do with hardware, and everything to do with developer choices on consoles. If you want 60fps play your games on PC. People get this 60fps idea in mind every single time a new console launches, and they just don't get it. More powerful hardware doesn't mean it can magically do 60fps regardless of the visuals. If 30fps isn't acceptable to you, then you shouldn't be concerned with console gaming.

People need to realize that having a game at 60 fps then making it at 30 fps doesn't mean it will look twice as better. It's not a 1:1 ratio, and for any 30 fps game to hit 60 fps there would be noticeable graphical downgrades, but to assume it'd look only half as good is ridiculous.

People need to realize that having a game at 60 fps then making it at 30 fps doesn't mean it will look twice as better. It's not a 1:1 ratio, and for any 30 fps game to hit 60 fps there would be noticeable graphical downgrades, but to assume it'd look only half as good is ridiculous.
You lie.

I've seen the buttons and toggles game devs can flip in modern engines. A good sample below:

Graphics: [Tighten Up] [Consolify] [Snap Bullshot]
Framerate: [Halve] [Double] [Lock]
PC: [Gimp] [Delay Release] [Hide Settings]
Gameplay enhancements: [Like Call of Duty] [Like Uncharted] [Like Both]
Anti-Used Systems: [Always Online] [Break without Patch] [Pre-Order Labyrinth]
Platform: [Cross-Gen] [XBox One (Gold required)] [PS4] [Wii U (disabled)] [Mobile] [Everything (note: does not include Wii U)]

Making games is way easier than we've been led to believe.

Glad to hear it will support PS3 wheels. I snagged a Driving Force GT for 50 bucks a few years ago and am happy to see that it may still working going forward with PS4.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

Still curious to see how much content is locked out and what the upgrade price will be.

Racer1977

I'd agree with that if we where further out from launch, but by Gamesom we should be getting a much more representative look at the launch games. We may only get a snapshot of the content, but by now they really need to be nailing down the final visual look.

Racer1977

Yeah that's my plan for sure. It'll be tough to make any overall sales judgments for this game unless Sony gives us upgrade numbers. Of course with digital ramping up everywhere, physical retail sales are becoming progressively less relevant and I don't think NPD has anything in place to get numbers from these closed systems.
Something must be in the works to rectify this.

Next-gen I'm going all digital, I'll probably be buying more games than this gen, yet if such sales aren't tracked officially, it will give more ammunition to the "console gaming is dying" advocates, which in turn is bad PR for console manufacturer's.

Skeff

Well, there were Mclarens in the E3 demo so...

What does he mean it's exclusive? oO

I would assume this would mean than Sony have signed a licensing deal so that only Sony games can be released with Mclarens in them.

Most likely this will include the name and likeness of the car and will probably cover one year or so of releases, meaning Mclarens will not be appearing in Forza.

There will be an exception to this for the f1 Mclaren-Mercedes car as the license for that car is packaged with all of the formula 1 cars, so it will still appear on F1 2013 or whatever number they're on.

I would assume this would mean than Sony have signed a licensing deal so that only Sony games can be released with Mclarens in them.

Most likely this will include the name and likeness of the car and will probably cover one year or so of releases, meaning Mclarens will not be appearing in Forza.

There will be an exception to this for the f1 Mclaren-Mercedes car as the license for that car is packaged with all of the formula 1 cars, so it will still appear on F1 2013 or whatever number they're on.

Erm... this is the F5 cover:

And the trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r46D1lRpO1k

I'm guessing that he just misunderstood the question and the "that" he's referring to is DRIVECLUB. He isn't really the person someone should be asking about which car brands will appear in the game.

amar212

Simraceway would object. And Forza too. And Ron Dennis.

Rushy

Yoshida wasn't responding to that tweet. That person was responding to Yoshida with a question, and wasn't answered.

Whilst we haven't announced out full car list yet, the E3 demo featured the McLaren 12C as a playable vehicle, so yes McLaren will most definitely be featuring in DRIVECLUB :)

TJP

Simraceway would object. And Forza too. And Ron Dennis.
As well as Kunos with Assetto Corsa ;)

Edit: I've read mentions of Ged Talbot from Bizarre Creations in this thread - I was already excited for DriveClub and if a ex-PGR guy is working on DriveClub then this game will be a must buy for me.

Top Bottom