• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DriveClub (Evolution Studios/PS4) announcement trailer. [PS3 WHEELS ARE SUPPORTED]

DBT85

Hands on with Driveclub on the PlayStation website,

http://uk.playstation.com/psn/news/...57/Hands-on-with-DRIVECLUB/?site_locale=en_GB

One quote which stood out for me

"It takes six man months to create and finish each car – that's something like a quarter of a million polygons per vehicle. Our lead vehicle artist actually rejected one car model because it contained an incorrect screw head."

Also on the Share button

SHARE button. "We use it all the time around the office," Rustchynsky confirms. "It's amazing just how useful it is in development. Every little thing, every perfect drift around a corner, we just hit the SHARE button without even thinking about it."

I asked Rushy on Twitter if the Share feature allows you to save direct to the HDD rather than upload somewhere and he said yes on the dev kits, and he hopes its the same on retail too but doesn't know.

And by far the worst display of skill by a player in a racing game I've ever seen.

That developer rep is a far better man than me. If the journalist had asked me the question "so how can I get better at this game" I would have been far too tempted to say something like "well, you can start by using the brakes."

iW6uXHIG4qH0l.gif

That was painful to watch.

BigDug13

Is this a racing Sim or is it more like PGR? It seems weird to put so much effort into making sure every minute detail of each car is 100% accurate if the physics, engine, handling, everything is not going to be 100% realistic. Rejecting a car because the screw heads are incorrect?

So is this a racing sim attempting to achieve as close to 100% realism as possible? I mean is this game trying to cannibalize from the GT series?

Espada

Do we have a car count yet? Over 100?

I heard it was 50 with more on the way in the form of DLC. I remember them saying they want to support the game for a long time.

That video was painful to watch, my goodness. The lighting is definitely gorgeous (and wasted on that weak track/locale) but Schreir was driving like he never played a racing game before.

evolution said:
Is this a racing Sim or is it more like PGR? It seems weird to put so much effort into making sure every minute detail of each car is 100% accurate if the physics, engine, handling, everything is not going to be 100% realistic. Rejecting a car because the screw heads are incorrect?

So is this a racing sim attempting to achieve as close to 100% realism as possible? I mean is this game trying to cannibalize from the GT series?

It's definitely in an awkward middle ground, for sure.

evolution

more like pgr/nfs

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I can't stand people who's job it is to show us footage of the game, and they literally play like a blind monkey.

Its fucking infuriating.

People that have played it have compared it to PGR. And if you're making a game with real cars it makes complete sense to actually take the modeling seriously. It doesn't matter if it's arcadey or realistic. There's no point in having real cars if you're going to be lazy with the modeling.

Stillmatic

Dynamic lighting and GI too, nice. I'm leaning towards buying this rather than getting the PS+ version. I'd love to see a new track though, and I need DFGT support!

orioto

Good Art™
At least the game looks way better with an interesting light. I do'nt know wgat they had in mind with the flat E3 demo.

BigDug13

People that have played it have compared it to PGR. And if you're making a game with real cars it makes complete sense to actually take the modeling seriously. It doesn't matter if it's arcadey or realistic. There's no point in having real cars if you're going to be lazy with the modeling.

Oh I agree, but several manmonths per car and rejection due to the type of screw head that was rendered on a game that plays like PGR? Seems like overkill but we'll see.

The only thing I worry about DriveClub is not even the graphics/visual fidelity, because we all know Evolution Studios are more than capable of delivering content close to their target renders. The thing that worries me the most is the actual handling, driving and drifting feel of these cars. The reason why I loved NFS HP2010/NFS MW2012 is because they have this perfect arcade-ish controls where you get the adrenalin rush just by drifting your Audi R8 or any of those awesome supercars at breakneck speeds while skillfully avoiding incoming traffic and overtaking enemy ai racers infront of you, all at the same time. DriveClub from what I have seen, looks somewhere between Forza and GT, neither of these games provide a fun, adrenalin pumping experience when played using a controller and I am not a GT/Forza hater.

Hands on with Driveclub on the PlayStation website,

http://uk.playstation.com/psn/news/...57/Hands-on-with-DRIVECLUB/?site_locale=en_GB

One quote which stood out for me

"It takes six man months to create and finish each car – that's something like a quarter of a million polygons per vehicle

So 250,000 polygons per car??
That seems incredibly low.

From what I can remember
PGR3 - 100,000+ polygon car.
Forza 4 - 300,000+ polygons per car.
GT5 & Project CARS - 500,0000 polygons per car.

I think it was said that Forza 5 is to have cars be made up in the millions of polygons range.

Wow.. that Kotaku interviewer has no business demoing a driving game. That was one of the more difficult gaming-related videos I've had to watch.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed

That is some great looking footage, and some of the WORST DRIVING I'VE EVER SEEN HOLY CRAP MAN USE THE BRAKES!

So 250,000 polygons per car??
That seems incredibly low.

From what I can remember
PGR3 - 100,000+ polygon car.
Forza 4 - 300,000+ polygons per car.
GT5 & Project CARS - 500,0000 polygons per car.

I think it was said that Forza 5 is to have cars be made up in the millions of polygons range.

Probably a mistake. Turn 10 claims they have 400k of polygons in Forza 3, and those car models were mostly crap.

Shaneus

Dynamic lighting and GI too, nice. I'm leaning towards buying this rather than getting the PS+ version. I'd love to see a new track though, and I need DFGT support!
GI?

I can't stand people who's job it is to show us footage of the game, and they literally play like a blind monkey.

Its fucking infuriating.
I often wonder if it's just that I play driving games a bit that people who don't are *that* inept... but it looks like I'm not alone. How can people not know how to play a driving game? Even the most basic of arcade racers are based on the same principles of using cars in real life. You hold down one thing to go forwards and turn left and right. Even if you've never driven, surely you've taken a shopping trolley around a supermarket?

The only thing I worry about DriveClub is not even the graphics/visual fidelity, because we all know Evolution Studios are more than capable of delivering content close to their target renders. The thing that worries me the most is the actual handling, driving and drifting feel of these cars. The reason why I loved NFS HP2010/NFS MW2012 is because they have this perfect arcade-ish controls where you get the adrenalin rush just by drifting your Audi R8 or any of those awesome supercars at breakneck speeds while skillfully avoiding incoming traffic and overtaking enemy ai racers infront of you, all at the same time. DriveClub from what I have seen, looks somewhere between Forza and GT, neither of these games provide a fun, adrenalin pumping experience when played using a controller and I am not a GT/Forza hater.
If you think the new HP/MW games have perfect arcade handling, you need to try PGR4. Then keep in mind that one of the main guys who project lead a number of those in the series also works for Evolution :D

I'm yet to hear his name mentioned *at all* during the development of this game, though. Does anyone know if Ged Talbot has any involvement with DC?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The Kotaku guy drives like me when I have to control a vehicle in any game. I can't for the life of me drive with a controller or keyboard/mouse.

When is Evolution going to start showing footage that is more than 35% done.

I give them until Gamescom. Usually they demo they'll show at events will be based on their most stable build, which was the 35% complete version for E3.

I'm betting they'll do something big for Gamescom, seeing as it is THE market for racing games for Sony. They better will be too.

Saberus

I see its the same build as E3, but there is something different about this, the same with the new killzone video, I notice a lot less pop-up on both demos. The draw distance in DC is crazy. I'm wondering if they are running on more up to date hardware as some have mentioned.

Cidd

I see its the same build as E3, but there is something different about this, the same with the new killzone video, I notice a lot less pop-up on both demos. The draw distance in DC is crazy. I'm wondering if they are running on more up to date hardware as some have mentioned.

With the PS4 FCC dev kit patent we saw earlier this week, I think it's safe to say the final Dev kits are available now, So you may be right.

RoKKeR

Kotaku actually has a decent camera to film off-screen videos with.

Shaneus

Sorry, was talking about global illumination. The lighting has been pretty ace so far, I'm looking forward to seeing some other times of day.
Oh, no worries... I just didn't know what that stood for. It just means, that there's a single point of light that refracts across everything, yes?

Do people care about lighting/weather more than gameplay? The game looks amazing, to me at least.
Lighting > weather, I think. Depending on how it's used, a good lighting system transforms a game at fixed times of day (FM4) to having full day/night cycles (Horizon).

Afrikan

The footage seems to take place earlier in the day that most of the videos we've seen from E3. also like another poster said the camera is better.

It always seems like the time of day makes a difference with how the game looks

Madden, MLB The Show, and others look much better during mid-day.....compared to morning or early evening

Stillmatic

Oh, no worries... I just didn't know what that stood for. It just means, that there's a single point of light that refracts across everything, yes?
Sweeet, depending on how they've implemented it it could mean a whole bunch of things. A lot of the benefits are hugely taxing as some features involve ray tracing, so I have no idea how the PS4 handles things like GI or features within it. It's just much more natural lighting overall, some examples it could be used for are things like more realistic reflections on the body work, refractions for windows and weather effects (surroundings warped in rain drops on the windscreen!), color transfers (like in the last of us how the color of a surface reflects on another) and other indirect lighting (light bouncing off scenery/walls/other cars). Damn it'd be awesome if they've got some of that stuff in there, but a lot of it would be me getting my hopes up. :p

New hands-on from OPM.There is some controller and playroom stuff,however on 5:50 there is some Driveclub footage not sure I've seen before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ-x2Q1CdHA&feature=player_embedded&hd=1

Man we really need some direct feed footage. When they were cutting between shots of the original trailer and the demo footage, it looks like a joke. Really strange that this is the only upcoming exclusive Sony seems unwilling to do that with - I guess it must just be really unfinished, but does that mean the original trailers were bullshit? Not again, Evo.

I couldn't watch that youtube video, the guy "driving" was making me rage, why did he keep swinging the camera left to right and does he not know how to use brakes?????

Top Bottom