• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaneus

Τhanks for the reply and the awesome game you are making.

Hope that it is a success and a blast to play!

Also thank you for taking the time to take this pic. The angle you take the pic, while very similar and close to the position of the chase camera, is not the same as the one in game. I think it is a bit lower since I can see the cars tyres in game.

In any case perhaps this is all just me or the fact that some times light goes under a car's tyre when it doesnt seem like the wheel is off the ground, like in this video:

http://driveclub.eu.playstation.com/1080p

...where the car is in a straight line and yet at times light goes between the tyre and shadow.

I know this is nit picking and nothing to write home about and definitely not somethinig that will either make or break the game for anyone.

Again thanks for the reply.
The sun is reflecting directly into the camera from the car, meaning that the camera is where the sun is. If you hold a torch at eye level, you will not see any shadows where you're looking. That's what the sun is doing in that shot, it's just really low.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
JDM Impreza? Seems odd to not have a rear spoiler, but the rear lights look very Impreza-y to me, and the rolled exhaust too.

I have to admit that it took me a while to get used to this, but it is entirely physically accurate - we don't use fake shadows or mask sunlight by ambient occlusion, which often hides this 'effect'.

Under strong lighting conditions and from the right angle there won't be a shadow visible beneath the car. To show this I took a car out into the Evo car park, parked it so the sun was from directly behind and held a camera up in the air at similar angle to the chase camera.

Nothing is faked or baked in this image either ;) Number plates have been obviously obscured though.

floatingCar.jpg

Shadow Rushy Lifts Entire Car.

Gaz_RB

I have to admit that it took me a while to get used to this, but it is entirely physically accurate - we don't use fake shadows or mask sunlight by ambient occlusion, which often hides this 'effect'.

Under strong lighting conditions and from the right angle there won't be a shadow visible beneath the car. To show this I took a car out into the Evo car park, parked it so the sun was from directly behind and held a camera up in the air at similar angle to the chase camera.

Nothing is faked or baked in this image either ;) Number plates have been obviously obscured though.

floatingCar.jpg

Why is that car floating :/

Preorder canceled.

[IMGhttps://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-ZfuVsyKUTRs/VC0xvFa12FI/AAAAAAAALQM/DwziW-p7U0E/w900-h849-no/floatingCar.jpg[/IMG

Yeah it's just how lighting works. It's weird that some people don't understand this and there is anough shadow in all the footage to see how it changes.
Anyway, thanx for taking the trouble to explain.

My good fellow GAFfers, tomorrow I'm attending a closed/private event. Would anyone like to make a (proper/mature) question regarding the game, art, visuals, inspiration, etc? There will be at least one game designer in there as well other activities I cant talk about.

I can't say much about the event itself since I was advised not to but I know who's going to be there and I have the schedule with me. I can grab a couple of questions, translate them and try to find some time for them to get answered and of course GAF is always on my heart so please, let me know.
No need, we know what inspired the game.

Shortly after some Sony budgetary cut backs all Christmas parties had to take place in studio offices, hiring halls or whatnot was no longer an option.

Late into the night, after the photocopier broke, the only fun left to be had was the age old 'Office Chair Race'.

Two guys retrieved their chairs from their desks, before long they were wheeling up and down the office corridors.

From there on in, the worlds finest corridor racer was born.

floatingCar.jpg
Rushy please let me play DC already :'(

DrZeus

Footage of this game always makes me feel like I need to buy a new TV asap lol. Beautiful and dat red box <3

MilitanT07

Unconfirmed Member

floatingCar.jpg

http://automotivenice.com/bmw/2012-...l/attachment/2012-bmw-3-series-behind#image-1

nib95

Banned

floatingCar.jpg

This is amazing lol. Shame you had to do it, but yea, some people need to understand.

Krisprolls

Banned
Loool what does that prove when it's not the same angle? At the same angle in the video there is shadowing underneath the car present just like in the video.

I love how Rushy actually showed a real life shot and we still have people somehow debating if it's right.

Primeau31

&#932;hanks for the reply and the awesome game you are making.

Hope that it is a success and a blast to play!

Also thank you for taking the time to take this pic. The angle you take the pic, while very similar and close to the position of the chase camera, is not the same as the one in game. I think it is a bit lower since I can see the cars tyres in game.

In any case perhaps this is all just me or the fact that some times light goes under a car's tyre when it doesnt seem like the wheel is off the ground, like in this video:

http://driveclub.eu.playstation.com/1080p

...where the car is in a straight line and yet at times light goes between the tyre and shadow.

I know this is nit picking and nothing to write home about and definitely not somethinig that will either make or break the game for anyone.

Again thanks for the reply.

dude. he just proved you completely wrong. stop that.

EGOMON

Rushy with dem truth bombs!
Anyway thanks Rushy for taking time to clear some people concerns I got DC pre-ordered just waiting for Sony to give us the green light to roll

Number45

OK, I've just realised that there's £35.01 in my account and the PS+ upgrade is £34.99. Somebody really wants me to buy this game!

Shaneus

My good fellow GAFfers, tomorrow I'm attending a closed/private event. Would anyone like to make a (proper/mature) question regarding the game, art, visuals, inspiration, etc? There will be at least one game designer in there as well other activities I cant talk about.

I can't say much about the event itself since I was advised not to but I know who's going to be there and I have the schedule with me. I can grab a couple of questions, translate them and try to find some time for them to get answered and of course GAF is always on my heart so please, let me know.
Huh, I missed this post.

Um, it may or may not be mature... but I'm curious to know what role (if any) Ged Talbot (ex-Bizarre) had in the game. I know he was lead on PGR3 and PGR4 and the significant comparisons to the PGR series have me curious. Anyone else from Bizarre play a role in creating Driveclub?

LoveCake

I will get the free PSN+ version while i wait for Project CARS, if i did decide to upgrade would i be better buying the disc version or getting the PSN+ upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom