• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

hydruxo

xusnyj.gif

holy-rollins.gif

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm listening to the Beyond podcast right now and they are smack talking this game to oblivion. They got some complaints from what they said about it last week and address the fact that they were wrong about calling it a sim racer, but in the process they just shit on the game even more. Stuff like the year delay has "killed momentum," the reveal at the PS4 event was misleading and sold it as a simulation instead of an arcade game, the fact that it's going up against The Crew ("there's great buzz around that game" - there is?!) and Forza Horizon 2. Greg even rolls out the standard "no one cares about this game" line. Is he right? That's certainly not the impression I get here on Gaf and other sites, but beyond the internet there could be some truth to what he's saying, I don't know.

never criticise a gaming site or people individually - they won't go 'oh maybe we were wrong' they'll just double down on the nonsense and then call everyone that disagrees whiny crybabies.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
lolol at you people wasting your time listening to the sewage flowing out of IGN

you are supposed to be the literati. Frank Bruni never asked Paula Deen for advice.

I'm listening to the Beyond podcast right now and they are smack talking this game to oblivion. They got some complaints from what they said about it last week and address the fact that they were wrong about calling it a sim racer, but in the process they just shit on the game even more. Stuff like the year delay has "killed momentum," the reveal at the PS4 event was misleading and sold it as a simulation instead of an arcade game, the fact that it's going up against The Crew ("there's great buzz around that game" - there is?!) and Forza Horizon 2. Greg even rolls out the standard "no one cares about this game" line. Is he right? That's certainly not the impression I get here on Gaf and other sites, but beyond the internet there could be some truth to what he's saying, I don't know.

Yeah, glad I stopped listening to them.

Not to go too OT, but there's hype/great buzz surrounding The Crew?

Get outta here...

lolol at you people wasting your time listening to the sewage flowing out of IGN

you are supposed to be the literati. Frank Bruni never asked Paula Deen for advice.

In general, I consider Colin and Marty to be a whole lot more worthwhile to listen to than a lot of folks here.

I always go to the Beyond guys for my driving game news! /s

I don't, but hey wouldn't you know it, they talk about a myriad of topics and DriveClub just happened to come up.

Kilvin

Really nice job on the OT, looking forward to playing the PS Plus edition with the possibility of an upgrade at a later date.

JamboGT

In general, I consider Colin and Marty to be a whole lot more worthwhile to listen to than a lot of folks here.

I don't, but hey wouldn't you know it, they talk about a myriad of topics and DriveClub just happened to come up.

Sorry, was probably a little dismissive. I traditionally switch off mentally when they even mention racing games.

Yeah, glad I stopped listening to them.

Not to go too OT, but there's hype/great buzz surrounding The Crew?

Get outta here...

It's laughable. They talk about DriveClub like it's going to be the biggest flop of the year, and then they mention in the same breath that The Crew is going to be a success. That game is dead in the water - I've seen NO hype for that whatsoever.

I like the Beyond crew,but listening to their opinions on racing games is like getting Colin to be interested in multiplayer games and Greg in Danganronpa.

They're just not into racing games that much.

It's laughable. They talk about DriveClub like it's going to be the biggest flop of the year, and then they mention in the same breath that The Crew is going to be a success. That game is dead in the water - I've seen NO hype for that whatsoever.

These are same people that talk about Sony big IP and did not mention GT .
I won't trust them when it comes to racing games in fact i won't trust most sites in the whole when it comes to racing games.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

it is odd though - why even bother comparing with FH2? If you have a PS4 but not an Xboxone then DC isn't competing with it at all. Its competing with Project Cars (simulation) and The Crew (which looks pretty dull).

I actually laughed when they suggested Driveclub should have released at launch, unfinished and complete with issues, and that doing so would have resulted in better sales numbers. I believe they said something along the lines of "Get that 6 out of 10 out there at launch", and compared the game to Knack. "Nobody likes Knack". I got that kind of feeling from The Crew, but not this game.

Getting back on topic though, this game just looks better and better with every gif and video released. I haven't played a racing game in years. The last racer I seriously got into was PGR3 back when it was new. The wait for Tuesday is becoming unbearable at this point.

fedexpeon

Banned

The hype for The Crew kind of died couple of months ago when they released the beta for the PC. Those screenshots were terribad.
But yeah, I haven't hear anything from The Crew devs since that last time they showed off the gameplay steam...

I like the Beyond crew,but listening to their opinions on racing games is like getting Colin to be interested in multiplayer games and Greg in Danganronpa.

They're just not into racing games that much.

Colin's attitude towards multiplayer games and modes mirrors my own, and that's a big reason as to why I like him and mostly consider his opinions valid. But him and the rest of the crew shouldn't talk about racing games with some degree of authority if they willingly admit they're ignorant of them and have no interest.

driver116

Momentum/buzz/sales/knowledge of - all problems for Sony's marketing to sort out. How will this detract from it being a great game?

Gacha-pin

IGN might be right to a certain degree I guess. I wouldn't know about the game if I am not a gaffer and that's sony's problem. Didn't some sony exec say they would reduce the number of titles and appropriate more budget for marketing? I see the first party titles are getting fewer than PS3 era but I don't see the exposure of their first party titles to the media are increased.
I live in Japan where PS4 is already dead. The things could be defferent overseas:p

Afrikan

Um, did they compress the game even more? I thought it was suppose to be 17gbs?

But on the pre order page at the PS-Store, it says it's 14gbs.

valkyre

Okay so me and the rest of us and the multimillion dollar AAA game will just keep enjoying ignorant bliss, because apparently the game that does this with shadows doesn't get it:

a) Who actually told you not to enjoy the game? Are you that insecure about your opinion that a simple comment on a particular shadow of the game, suddenly is qualified as an attempt towards you and others, to not enjoy the game? SMH

b) Who actually told you that every shadow in the game is not impressive or realistic? There are parts that shadows do great (most parts actually) in this game and others that do not. For example it is great that the game provides realistic shadows during the night, cast by the cars headlights, but at the same time during old builds (I dont know if it still happens, perhaps they fixed it) the same car headlights did not cast a single shadow towards things on the side of the road, like small posts , barriers etc.

The game looks great. Phenomenal. It carries perhaps among the best racing tech graphics engines we have seen. I never argued against that... ever.

Rushy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hU7_hCMDy6Y

look at 1:30 - 1:33 for most pronounced effect. But in reality in the entire video the car looks like its floating and the shadow has issues/looks absolutely fake.

I can assure you, real life doesnt look like that even at such lighting conditions.

I have to admit that it took me a while to get used to this, but it is entirely physically accurate - we don't use fake shadows or mask sunlight by ambient occlusion, which often hides this 'effect'.

Under strong lighting conditions and from the right angle there won't be a shadow visible beneath the car. To show this I took a car out into the Evo car park, parked it so the sun was from directly behind and held a camera up in the air at similar angle to the chase camera.

Nothing is faked or baked in this image either ;) Number plates have been obviously obscured though.

floatingCar.jpg

JamboGT

I have to admit that it took me a while to get used to this, but it is entirely physically accurate - we don't use fake shadows or mask sunlight by ambient occlusion, which often hides this 'effect'.

Under strong lighting conditions and from the right angle there won't be a shadow visible beneath the car. To show this I took a car out into the Evo car park, parked it so the sun was from directly behind and held a camera up in the air at similar angle to the chase camera.

Nothing is faked or baked in this image either ;) Number plates have been obviously obscured though.

floatingCar.jpg

Game looks great, congrats! (not referring to the real life picture of a car in a car park :p)

floatingCar.jpg

That photo is obviously doctored: sunlight in the UK, really?

Rushy, the game looks awesome and I'm picking up a PS4 this weekend. Hoping for a nice variety of DLC cars.

vato_loco

VERY good title OP.

I never EVER do this (except with Ni no Kuni), but I preordered this one. I need me some racing fix for my PS4!

Handy Fake

floatingCar.jpg

Above and beyond the call of bitch-slapping duty there, Rushy. I approve.

Awesome to see Rushy come in with the real life eg , the lighting system for this game just amazing .
Already have the game preorder , now i need to join a club.
PSN gundamkyoukai hopeful some other people without a club can add me.

allday247

Banned
to wait and trail the PSN+ version or buy the full game..... hmmmm

can the PSN+ version still play in the clubs? or is that limited to the full game?

Neil_J_UK

floatingCar.jpg

You're pretty damn lucky it's sunny here in Runcorn today!

JamboGT

It is a strange effect, as accurate as it is. We had similar discussions here for low sun conditions.... No harm in someone pointing it out though.

Just saw Marc Marquez tweeting an ad with him in it, good catch for Evo and Sony, that lad is massively popular in Spain.

T-0800

floatingCar.jpg

That texture for the paving repeats far too many times to look real.

It's a joke. I know it's real.

Vaga

floatingCar.jpg

This is great. You realize you just opened the eyes of a man with 35 years of living/driving?

LE: Is there a Honda Accord/TSX in the back? *fist bump*

Hoo-doo

Banned
It's a strange look because we never get to see it in real life.

When was the last time you watched a car drive in real life from a 9 foot high chase cam?

valkyre

floatingCar.jpg

Τhanks for the reply and the awesome game you are making.

Hope that it is a success and a blast to play!

Also thank you for taking the time to take this pic. The angle you take the pic, while very similar and close to the position of the chase camera, is not the same as the one in game. I think it is a bit lower since I can see the cars tyres in game.

In any case perhaps this is all just me or the fact that some times light goes under a car's tyre when it doesnt seem like the wheel is off the ground, like in this video:

http://driveclub.eu.playstation.com/1080p

...where the car is in a straight line and yet at times light goes between the tyre and shadow.

I know this is nit picking and nothing to write home about and definitely not somethinig that will either make or break the game for anyone.

Again thanks for the reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom