• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

Duallusion

C'mon Evolution, allow me to give you some more money already, don't make me beg.

EDIT: And who else thinks 488 looks worse then its predecessor? Those side intakes look like they're from some cheapo chinese knockoff.

Ame

EDIT: And who else thinks 488 looks worse then its predecessor? Those side intakes look like they're from some cheapo chinese knockoff.

I'm a big fan of the 458. Love it to death, but I personally think the 488 looks superior.

Besides the two free cars, has Rushy mentioned what the surprise is?

desu

I'm a big fan of the 458. Love it to death, but I personally think the 488 looks superior.

Besides the two free cars, has Rushy mentioned what the surprise is?

Haven't seen anything but patch notes will come on Monday, so we will find out at then at the latest.

nib95

Banned
Looks too similar to the 50th anniversary Alpine, tbh.

Really, these cars look too similar too you?

rs01-475aa16.jpeg

new-renault-alpine-catheram.jpg

x6c841010-2dcc-11e4-b403-59c580590082_Renault-Sport-RS-01-12.jpg.pagespeed.ic.yiq79_EJnJ.jpg

01-Renault-Alpine-A110-50-Concept-05.jpg

kie25

I'd say the new Renault looks kinda like the Audi R8 GT3 car, I expect this Renault to be a great drive, it's a full on a race car so I expect some great handling, it's the closest I think Driveclub will come to a GT3 car as that's basically what it is. Can't wait to try it out more so than the Ferrari.

T_Exige

Agreed, I prefer the Renault above the Ferrari.

No doubt it is a great car, but it isn't a 360 challenge stradale or F355. I know it is hard to explain :)

Btw. I have 2 spots in my Lv50 club, no real obligations.
Doesn't matter if it is single/multiplayer. If you are active, you are welcome.

xrnzaaas

Yep, that Renault for the elite players is more interesting than the free car which is basically the 458 after a facelifting.

I just went on my tablet and saw the app icon... I wonder if that's the surprise?

That doesn't need a patch obviously but I guess for maximum impact it would make sense to see it reappear alongside a game update.

Yep, that Renault for the elite players is more interesting than the free car which is basically the 458 after a facelifting.

The Renault is the elite car… Ahhhhh for fuck sake! Looks like I have some grinding to do. 63 to 66 that is going to take a while.

Evo please don't lock cars behind levels in the elite class in the future. That is one chore of a grind with the current fame rewards, especially as the preorder bonus doesn't work any more. Put them behind challenges (similar to the elite time trail times) or events, it's a far more enjoyable way of unlocking things if you have to lock them.

lordxar

Evo please don't lock cars behind levels in the elite class in the future.

Technically I think you can eventually buy it with real cash and skip the grind so its acceptable to lock a car away like that and quite honestly I prefer this. I'm only level 62 and may never see that car in my garage but I like the fact that I have something to work towards so I hope they do lock more cars up like that. Might give me more incentive to try harder on leveling and some of us like a reward for our effort which is why they did this in the first place.

Technically I think you can eventually buy it with real cash and skip the grind so its acceptable to lock a car away like that and quite honestly I prefer this. I'm only level 62 and may never see that car in my garage but I like the fact that I have something to work towards so I hope they do lock more cars up like that. Might give me more incentive to try harder on leveling and some of us like a reward for our effort which is why they did this in the first place.

That's a freemium content structure. Bollocks to that. The La Ferrari wasn't that bad as it is easy and quick unlock, the elite levels on the other hand are one hell of a grind essentially pushing for a purchase, the price point will factor in if it is total bullshit or not. If you are going to have locked content then look at games that do it well such as Smash Bros Melee, Resident Evil, Bayonetta, Metal Gear Solid, etc where it isn't just a grind but something either unusual and fun or a reward for being good.

Quick question regarding levels after 60... Specifically level 62. It looks like l need to complete a specific race with a specific car, how do I find that race?

lordxar

That's a freemium content structure. Bollocks to that. The La Ferrari wasn't that bad as it is easy and quick unlock, the elite levels on the other hand are one hell of a grind essentially pushing for a purchase, the price point will factor in if it is total bullshit or not. If you are going to have locked content then look at games that do it well such as Smash Bros Melee, Resident Evil, Bayonetta, Metal Gear Solid, etc where it isn't just a grind but something either unusual and fun or a reward for being good.

Eh...I look at it this way, its just like Battlefield does with kit shortcuts. You can grind it out or put a few bucks in their pocket. Those strapped for time can take a shortcut and those who want to work on it can to. Price doesn't bother me because I won't be buying it anyway. I definitely wouldn't mind seeing more unusual though. Plus I'm already working on 62 so it does give me something to try for. I've already played a shitload I just need the level challenges.

Quick question regarding levels after 60... Specifically level 62. It looks like l need to complete a specific race with a specific car, how do I find that race?

Go into "My profile" from the main menu.

It's only a grind if you don't play the game much. I've been playing DC on and off since late january and didn't need a single fame point to advance since they introduced additional levels past level 50. And the elite levels do require skill, because you need to beat specific times in addition to having enough fame and stars, so the car is a reward for being good. I don't see the problem.

desu

I always tells you on the the the screen where you get your points.

You then have to go to single events and choose the track/car ther (weather etc can be to your liking).

This for example is 62: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLykD0C8CGY

The Renault is the elite car… Ahhhhh for fuck sake! Looks like I have some grinding to do. 63 to 66 that is going to take a while.

Evo please don't lock cars behind levels in the elite class in the future. That is one chore of a grind with the current fame rewards, especially as the preorder bonus doesn't work any more. Put them behind challenges (similar to the elite time trail times) or events, it's a far more enjoyable way of unlocking things if you have to lock them.

I don't mind it too much and there really isn't all that much grinding invovled, the elite level challenges might be harder than the grinding itself. Just play a few challenges you gonna get so much fame. I never really bothered with them in the last 6 months but I somewhat got into them in the last 2 weeks and it's just awesome. I made about ~3-5m fame in the last week alone just buy playing 30-60minutes challenges a day. Pick the challanges with tons of people try to play in the first 1/4 and you wouldn't even have to play all that much, might just take some time to rack up enough events with so many people.

Challenges have become so much fun that I haven been bothering with finishing off getting 45 stars on the tours.

I don't mind it too much and there really isn't all that much grinding invovled, the elite level challenges might be harder than the grinding itself. Just play a few challenges you gonna get so much fame. I never really bothered with them in the last 6 months but I somewhat got into them in the last 2 weeks and it's just awesome. I made about ~3-5m fame in the last week alone just buy playing 30-60minutes challenges a day. Pick the challanges with tons of people try to play in the first 1/4 and you wouldn't even have to play all that much, might just take some time to rack up enough events with so many people.

Challenges have become so much fun that I haven been bothering with finishing off getting 45 stars on the tours.

It's only a grind if you don't play the game much. I've been playing DC on and off since late january and didn't need a single fame point to advance since they introduced additional levels past level 50. And the elite levels do require skill, because you need to beat specific times in addition to having enough fame and stars, so the car is a reward for being good. I don't see the problem.

Eh...I look at it this way, its just like Battlefield does with kit shortcuts. You can grind it out or put a few bucks in their pocket. Those strapped for time can take a shortcut and those who want to work on it can to. Price doesn't bother me because I won't be buying it anyway. I definitely wouldn't mind seeing more unusual though. Plus I'm already working on 62 so it does give me something to try for. I've already played a shitload I just need the level challenges.

The grinding itself isn't that bad apart from being boring method of unlock compared to potential other options at disposal. The problem is how much grinding involved there is to get to that level. Im currently at 63, I know that is going to take a while especially as I just enjoy doing time trials which is a tiny amount of frame each time. Even with getting some of the manufacturer accolades and perhaps doing challenges instead it is going to be a grind regardless. Now imagine you are either new to the game or aren't as active as you currently are but love playing with the new cars, that is one heck of a grind and I have been playing monthly since launch and I still have a good way to go, if you just want to unlock it the game design is obviously pushing towards a sale. People don't generally mind buying things they enjoy unless they are cheap but when you see glaringly obvious systems aimed at pushing for a sale it can be very off putting especially in a game that has had such a good DLC offering and there are better options at their disposal, such as using custom time trials, unusual challenges such as "clip all line markers with your back wheels on Sinclairs pass and beat a time of xx:xx in the Renault Alpine A110-50", or special manufacturer tours where you can race against it to win it.

Auctopus

I've never found levelling an issue. I don't even play as much as I used to and I usually have enough XP to make the next level or two.

I'll have to play a bit more this time cause I think they're releasing more levels. Im expecting a challenge with these later elite time trials though.

desu

Not really seeing the issue, tons of free content by Evo so far and this is the very first car that's even locked behind progression in the game (fame wise). They want/need means for people to play/participate in their games so I think this is absolutely fair game.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
As a big fan of DC (been playing since Day 1 and had Season Pass since the start) I had to stop in mid May just before Mays content dropped and wasn't able to boot it up till the other day. I love the new levelling feature having to beat a Time Trial lap time to progress. This really sort the men out from the boys (currently lvl 62 and doing the RUF GT8 TT). This feature needs to be in all racers that incorporate a levelling system.

Kudos Evo Studios, it's great to come back to this.

lordxar

The grinding itself isn't that bad apart from being boring method of unlock compared to potential other options at disposal. The problem is how much grinding involved there is to get to that level. Im currently at 63, I know that is going to take a while especially as I just enjoy doing time trials which is a tiny amount of frame each time. Even with getting some of the manufacturer accolades and perhaps doing challenges instead it is going to be a grind regardless. Now imagine you are either new to the game or aren't as active as you currently are but love playing with the new cars, that is one heck of a grind and I have been playing monthly since launch and I still have a good way to go, if you just want to unlock it the game design is obviously pushing towards a sale. People don't generally mind buying things they enjoy unless they are cheap but when you see glaringly obvious systems aimed at pushing for a sale it can be very off putting especially in a game that has had such a good DLC offering and there are better options at their disposal, such as using custom time trials, unusual challenges such as "clip all line markers with your back wheels on Sinclairs pass and beat a time of xx:xx in the Renault Alpine A110-50", or special manufacturer tours where you can race against it to win it.

The noobs have enough to unlock so a car at high level won't be missed. Those of us that turn the game on and gain five levels after a patch need something though. I can't imagine how the better racers feel who blow through a tour in a week and smoke the level challenges. Why not offer them something? Besides if your at 63 and played that much XP shouldn't be your level gate. I'm stuck needing like 2 seconds on this 62 challenge. Even if I needed XP I can't see it being that bad with all the new accolades plus the long term ones finally racking up big numbers as they get advanced. Oh and your XP constantly ticks up in the background vs say an RPG that physically stops XP gains until you hit the next level requirements then starts anew. Theoretically if you have enough XP and can hit the level challenges its super quick to get that new car.

Makikou

Wait.. you have to grind FAME on level 60+ ? I didn't even know this.. i thought it was just the time trials. Oh well, i doubt i'll ever hit that snag D:

desu

Wait.. you have to grind FAME on level 60+ ? I didn't even know this.. i thought it was just the time trials. Oh well, i doubt i'll ever hit that snag D:

You have to grind just as much as you did when you got to level 2. Higher ranks need more fame thats about all. If you're regularly participating in challenges then you rack in more than enough fame that I can't even call that grinding.

Makikou

You have to grind just as much as you did when you got to level 2. Higher ranks need more fame thats about all. If you're regularly participating in challenges then you rack in more than enough fame that I can't even call that grinding.

Yeah, i hit 65 as soon as it was possible.. didn't even think i needed FAME points for it. Thats what i mean. Very easy to get them if you do any challenges.

ZalXII

Sometimes, i get full wet roads without any rain in random events, looks absolutely amazing. In 3 of these events the road stayed wet for the whole race (5 laps), it looked even more astonishing at night. I would like to see this as an option for single events or is there any time, time laps, weather combination to replicate that now?

Sometimes, i get full wet roads without any rain in random events, looks absolutely amazing. In 3 of these events the road stayed wet for the whole race (5 laps), it looked even more astonishing at night. I would like to see this as an option for single events or is there any time, time laps, weather combination to replicate that now?
Yeah I've wanted that as well.

Only way is dynamic then wait for it to stop raining.

The noobs have enough to unlock so a car at high level won't be missed. Those of us that turn the game on and gain five levels after a patch need something though. I can't imagine how the better racers feel who blow through a tour in a week and smoke the level challenges. Why not offer them something? Besides if your at 63 and played that much XP shouldn't be your level gate. I'm stuck needing like 2 seconds on this 62 challenge. Even if I needed XP I can't see it being that bad with all the new accolades plus the long term ones finally racking up big numbers as they get advanced. Oh and your XP constantly ticks up in the background vs say an RPG that physically stops XP gains until you hit the next level requirements then starts anew. Theoretically if you have enough XP and can hit the level challenges its super quick to get that new car.

It doesn't add up unless you specifically aim to increase your frame or play game modes that maximise your fame but for those who don't it is a chore. I personally have primarily focused on time trials and recently random events as for me that is the best way to play the game, I have no interest in playing online or competing against others so challenges are rarely something I care about unless it is somebody I know. I don't care about accolades as they bring me no pleasure in earning and points systems are irrelevant to enjoyment but when the shift comes to earning points I have always found gameplay to become a chore regardless of the genre.

I find grinding as a method of encouragement such a poor design decision, I'm most likely in the minority due to its inclusion in almost every game and the disappearance of the older unlock schemes I highlighted earlier and them becoming trophy and gamerscore goals instead. If it was do 6 specific time trails to unlock the RS.01 I would be all over it, but the fact that I have to grind out a bunch of points as well on a game I have played a shit load of already then my answer has to be no thanks. My time is limited I'm going to do what I find enjoyable and playing a game in a specific way to maximise points is not my idea of fun, so I'll pass and go play something else even though the car in question I find to be the most interesting that has been announced for the game and should hypothetically be totally unique to anything else in the game.

you don't want to do challenges , nor to play online , both things that give you plenty of points , yet you complain that getting points is a chore ?

You don't care about accolades yet they give you xp or xp bonuses for any event reguarding to it ..

Don't you think that your approach is not exactly fair to the game ?

you don't want to do challenges , nor to play online , both things that give you plenty of points , yet you complain that getting points is a chore ?

You don't care about accolades yet they give you xp or xp bonuses for any event reguarding to it ..

Don't you think that your approach is not exactly fair to the game ?

Well they are only just one area of the game, there is much more to it than just those. The single events alone combined with the leaderboards have more then enough depth to them to stay pretty well confined within them. I do challenges but not if I have to grind them as I don't find fun in that and preferably with people I know rather than strangers, with accolades I'd rather just race and apart from one trophy I have pretty much ignored them. Multiplayer can be fantastic it can also be shit so I generally just hit random as it gives me what I want the vast majority of the time. This is also a game I have probably around 80 to 100 hours with but do I really want to invest around 16 hours in the way I normally play to get enough fame specifically for the car? Nope. Do I want to spend a few hours playing a way I don't really want to when I haven't even got around to many of the games I have bought but not played yet,? Again no I don't. Time is a premium as far as I am concerned and wiill most likely just buy it as long as the price isn't stupid but that doesn't stop me from disliking the freemium structure of it, especially when there are alternatives that are open to everyone without having to invest a massive amount of time. It is no different than when people went ape when it was originally announced to be like that for all cars.

Well they are only just one area of the game, there is much more to it than just those. The single events alone combined with the leaderboards have more then enough depth to them to stay pretty well confined within them. I do challenges but not if I have to grind them as I don't find fun in that and preferably with people I know rather than strangers, with accolades I'd rather just race and apart from one trophy I have pretty much ignored them. Multiplayer can be fantastic it can also be shit so I generally just hit random as it gives me what I want the vast majority of the time. This is also a game I have probably around 80 to 100 hours with but do I really want to invest around 16 hours in the way I normally play to get enough fame specifically for the car? Nope. Do I want to spend a few hours playing a way I don't really want to when I haven't even got around to many of the games I have bought but not played yet,? Again no I don't. Time is a premium as far as I am concerned and wiill most likely just buy it as long as the price isn't stupid but that doesn't stop me from disliking the freemium structure of it, especially when there are alternatives that are open to everyone without having to invest a massive amount of time. It is no different than when people went ape when it was originally announced to be like that for all cars.

I want to ask : are you in a club ? do you play with friends on a regular basis ?
From my own experience , i played with friends, ( not for long periods of times but regulary ) and the problem of xp never really happenned to us. Each time one of us was hitting a millestione it was points for the club but also xp bonuses by events meaning that everyone was progressing.
I can understand your complains, but i'm asking again ... are you using the club experience in driveclub ? Because i didn't have those problems yet i'm a very hungry RPg player with limited time and i had the time to play many more games during my time ( and i even got plenty of platinium in other games )

With so many options to gain xp , is the freenium structure really the problem ?

dr guildo

@Rushy, if you are reading, here are some suggestions for exotic cars that will suit very well to the game :

Tesla Xeno Concept Car
the-tesla-xeno-concept-car-01.jpg

the-tesla-xeno-concept-car-04.jpg

3ecc2b8635acda54a744a2cb50ce262d.jpg

BMW I8
2015-bmw-i8-fd.jpg

2011BMWi8Conceptrearview-1.jpg

Honda's "yet-to-be-named" sport car :
2018-Honda-Baby-NSX-2.jpg

Auctopus

I have recommended the i8 multiple times so I am with you there, brother!

- That Tesla is god-awful ugly.
- That Honda looks a lot like the Lykan.

I want to ask : are you in a club ? do you play with friends on a regular basis ?
From my own experience , i played with friends, ( not for long periods of times but regulary ) and the problem of xp never really happenned to us. Each time one of us was hitting a millestione it was points for the club but also xp bonuses by events meaning that everyone was progressing.
I can understand your complains, but i'm asking again ... are you using the club experience in driveclub ? Because i didn't have those problems yet i'm a very hungry RPg player with limited time and i had the time to play many more games during my time ( and i even got plenty of platinium in other games )

With so many options to gain xp , is the freenium structure really the problem ?

I was in a club that became inactive a month or two after release. Not many of my friends play computer games so I never really felt a big incentive to pursue another club. I'm not really much of a social gamer to be honest and my times I'm available are all over the place so never commit to playing online with others as I usually let them down. The club side has been pretty much non existent for me and never really noticed its presence beyond a quick flash up.

It doesn't add up unless you specifically aim to increase your frame or play game modes that maximise your fame but for those who don't it is a chore. I personally have primarily focused on time trials and recently random events as for me that is the best way to play the game, I have no interest in playing online or competing against others so challenges are rarely something I care about unless it is somebody I know.
I guess its all relative, because I got to level 60 purely through time trials (my favorite way to play) and the first tour of events, except for drift events which I've successfully managed to completely avoid. Never tried to grind to get anything and have barely touched challenges and multiplayer, and only recently started digging into the additional tours - leveling up and unlocks have just kindof happened from playing the game over time.

Is it a grind because you don't like your current set of cars and really want the high level ones? Or maybe a platinum trophy hunt?

I guess its all relative, because I got to level 60 purely through time trials (my favorite way to play) and the first tour of events, except for drift events which I've successfully managed to completely avoid. Never tried to grind to get anything and have barely touched challenges and multiplayer, and only recently started digging into the additional tours - leveling up and unlocks have just kindof happened from playing the game over time.

Is it a grind because you don't like your current set of cars and really want the high level ones? Or maybe a platinum trophy hunt?

I think level 61 was when the game caught up with where I was at with fame. As I have played the game so much my interests are starting to go elsewhere and spending less time with the game until there is some genuinely new content to get stuck into, at the moment that is only really the cars. The R.S.01 for example is the first ground up racing car in the game, 500bhp centre positioned GT-R engine, and very light so the handing model should hypothetically be unique, pretty much what I have wanted in the game since day 1.

When the game was released and I unlocked the initial set in the first month it wasn't a grind in the slightest as there was always something new, all the cars and the platinum came with general play. When the elites came in I was super interested in doing the time trails but then found out I had to earn fame again and I noticed how little fame I was getting in the way that has kept me engaged with the game for so long, I did a few levels extra and it killed pretty much all fun. I think the time trials are great for elite levels but add in the fame and it just becomes very tedious, for me it becomes about collecting points rather than racing and takes the enjoyment out of the equation and I really like the racing and would rather have the focus on that.

If you look at how fame is delivered you hardly get any points for clean fast racing you can earn a bunch by overtaking, drafting, drifting and putting in the miles with the same manufacturer/country but lets say you want to drive fast and clean you earn very few unless you partake in a large challenge, and the points come from winning not the action of being clean and quick.

Duallusion

Dunno why they took out the number of retries listed in challenges, 'cause, yeah, that matters, as far as I'm concerned. Now that we have random events, they have a great opportunity to introduce retries/laps limit option based on how many retries poster of the random challenge had (or even give us an option to set it beforehand).

They'd have to hide track/car info of those challenges though (preventing practice outside of a challenge), so I understand why they might not ever bother doing it.

farmerboy

Has anyone come across bigpapa979?
Just wondering, cos I just come across him online and he couldn't wait to tell us how good he was, how he has won some competition 2 years straight, seriously, told us about 4 times.
And, wow, you should check him out on the time trials too.
So I did, found some top 50 times but no top 10s (haven't checked every leaderboard), so not quite sure what he was on about.

Highly competent, 1035 stars, lvl 65, and some very good times. Better than me, no doubt.

But holy shit, "hey everyone, can you all hear me? Just letting you know you're racing with bigpapa979, one of Driveclubs best racers. I've won the something something 2 times straight. Hit me up on psn, I'll give you some tips." Like 4 times over during the race.

Here's farmerboy's tip for you bigpapa. Stop being SUCH A TOOL.
ahem, he won that race though, gotta give him that

Shaneus

Has anyone come across bigpapa979?
Just wondering, cos I just come across him online and he couldn't wait to tell us how good he was, how he has won some competition 2 years straight, seriously, told us about 4 times.
And, wow, you should check him out on the time trials too.
So I did, found some top 50 times but no top 10s (haven't checked every leaderboard), so not quite sure what he was on about.

Highly competent, 1035 stars, lvl 65, and some very good times. Better then me, no doubt.

But holy shit, "hey everyone, can you all hear me? Just letting you know you're racing with bigpapa979, one of Driveclubs best racers. I've won the something something 2 times straight. Hit me up on psn, I'll give you some tips." Like 4 times over during the race.

Here's farmerboy's tip for you bigpapa. Stop being SUCH A TOOL.
ahem, he won that race though, gotta give him that
We could introduce him to kie25 ;)

Top Bottom