• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

Notifications don't work and the second menue of the home screen when you go down is locked. Use to work at launch.
Notifications worked for me but I disabled them as I got too damn many of them once challenges were brought back online. Those challenges also work for me, but the leaderboard can sometimes time out when I complete one, though my score eventually shows up.

Have you tried recently? As those features have only been re-enabled for a little while now.

Korezo

If you press triangle and hit left the notification tab never works, also if you had the game since launch and was lucky to connect to the server their was another window when you go down, in that menue you could of seen what all your friends were doing and records. You can see that in the main menue there is a arrow pointing down at the bottom but pressing down doesnt make that menu pop anymore, that menue could of been accessed from a lot of other menues but it still doesn't work or they removed that feature completely. Those are the 2 things I'm talking about, not the challenges or the pop up stuff, basically the social features are still off.

If you press triangle and hit left the notification tab never works, also if you had the game since launch and was lucky to connect to the server their was another window when you go down, in that menue you could of seen what all your friends were doing and records. You can see that in the main menue there is a arrow pointing down at the bottom but pressing down doesnt make that menu pop anymore, that menue could of been accessed from a lot of other menues but it still doesn't work or they removed that feature completely. Those are the 2 things I'm talking about, not the challenges or the pop up stuff, basically the social features are still off.

Ahhh I was wondering what that arrow was for.

Shaneus

Ok, so they are fixing that?
Good. It's the thing I hate most about this game. Touch a wall, during a race, and your done. Add on top of the fact that the tracks are very narrow and the AI is super aggressive and you get a frustrating time.
This may be true, but what about the people who complain (and rightly so) about getting the best times on time trials solely because they find strategic places to bump their car rather than sticking to the road?

garyBig

This may be true, but what about the people who complain (and rightly so) about getting the best times on time trials solely because they find strategic places to bump their car rather than sticking to the road?

They say they only want to fix it on the straights.

Yeah there are a couple of places on really high speed sections where your hyper car can get floaty, and there is simply no lateral control. If you save it but brush the side of the track at that point your speed literally goes from 260kmh to 160kmh in an impossible instant, one that would rip the seat belts out of their mountings.

The car should not get away with touching barriers and losing nothing - but the speed drop is so sudden you can go from 1st place to way last, in seconds.

So this is probably a really dumb question, but can I use AT in this game? I just fired it up and went through the first race, then checked and settings and don't see an option. I guess that's the the sim side of the "sim-cade" equation huh? It's gonna take some getting used to, as I only really play arcade racers and haven't used MT since, like, ever...

23qwerty

So this is probably a really dumb question, but can I use AT in this game? I just fired it up and went through the first race, then checked and settings and don't see an option. I guess that's the the sim side of the "sim-cade" equation huh? It's gonna take some getting used to, as I only really play arcade racers and haven't used MT since, like, ever...

Pretty sure automatic is default... I've never used manual in Driveclub

yes AT is an option in fact a guy on top of some time trial leaderboards said to me he uses AT, and doesnt think manual is faster. I feel MT accelerates a bit faster but since he gets ridiculous times with AT I cant argue with success.

Pretty sure automatic is default... I've never used manual in Driveclub
So, yeah. Looks like it's AT by default but I can also shift any time I want? Never seen a setup like that, but I also can't say I play a whole lot of racers. Guess I'll just put shifting out of mind for now.

IKizzLE

So, yeah. Looks like it's AT by default but I can also shift any time I want? Never seen a setup like that, but I also can't say I play a whole lot of racers. Guess I'll just put shifting out of mind for now.

You can't shift down anytime you want.
That is why their is no advantage with AT or MT.

Usually in other simcade racers, you'd be able to shift down as fast as possible to improve breaking time and help with corners where you didn't want to break or let go of the gas.

You can't shift down anytime you want.
That is why their is no advantage with AT or MT.

Usually in other simcade racers, you'd be able to shift down as fast as possible to improve breaking time and help with corners where you didn't want to break or let go of the gas.

I don't really understand this: shifting down does not improve braking if you're already standing on the brakes, and you can't shift down if the next gear would put the engine over the red line - unless you want to blow up the engine.

Maybe Driveclub doesn't queue shifts (like pressing twice should shift down twice when able) or maybe it could shift down a bit sooner even if that gets really close to engine redline. But shifting down as fast as you want shouldn't be a thing ...

Just played for about 2.5 hours. Fun stuff! Pretty easy to get into. I sent two challenges to some folks on my friends list. I like how I can just choose from a list of every past event I've done - just scroll through and pick a killer race.

I'll probably wait awhile before trying to join up with a club.

Pena

Neo Member
Are there any steering wheels that work with the PS4?
Thrustmaster VG T300RS Officially Licensed PS4/PS3 Force Feedback Racing Wheel
Thrustmaster VG 4.7 out of 5 stars(13)Reviews
$400. But best you can get.
"Thrustmaster VG 4.7 out of 5 stars(13)Reviews" = T500RS I guess? It works perfectly but only in-game. For example, the PS button doesn't work. You have to use DS4 for PS4 UI stuff, but they work simultaneously.

djjinx2

Just played for about 2.5 hours. Fun stuff! Pretty easy to get into. I sent two challenges to some folks on my friends list. I like how I can just choose from a list of every past event I've done - just scroll through and pick a killer race.

I'll probably wait awhile before trying to join up with a club.

Join any random club for now thats over a level 10 ;)

Gets you access to all the club cars.

The BAC Mono may come in handy!!

RexNovis

Banned
Picked the game up yesterday. Definitely a gorgeous show piece but I'll be damned if I'm not having the most difficult driving experience I've ever had. Controlling the cars in this game is so damn frustrating and I get absolutely destroyed by the AI in every race I compete in. Is there something I'm missing here about the controls? As it is now this game is just 0 fun to play.

Frankly I'm surprised nobody on GAF warned me about the controls. I haven't even heard them mentioned when speaking of the game.

23qwerty

Picked the game up yesterday. Definitely a gorgeous show piece but I'll be damned if I'm not having the most difficult driving experience I've ever had. Controlling the cars in this game is so damn frustrating and I get absolutely destroyed by the AI in every race I compete in. Is there something I'm missing here about the controls? As it is now this game is just 0 fun to play.

Frankly I'm surprised nobody on GAF warned me about the controls. I haven't even heard them mentioned when speaking of the game.

Not really sure what to say, it's pretty standard controls. R2 to go, L2 to slow, O to handbrake...

T-0800

I don't understand how anyone could have a problem with them. Just felt right the second I started playing.

Are you using the green, yellow, and red flags that are along the roads as an indication of how sharp the turns are going to be? Other than maybe suggesting you brake early, I'm not sure why you may be having so many problems with it. It's fairly standard stuff.

RexNovis

Banned
Are you using the green, yellow, and red flags that are along the roads as an indication of how sharp the turns are going to be? Other than maybe suggesting you brake early, I'm not sure why you may be having so many problems with it. It's fairly standard stuff.

Oh didn't notice the flags change color according to the sharpness of the turn. That should help.

I guess it just seems like the AI is able to take the turns much faster and with more control than I can. This they constantly leave me in the dust.

I've gotta be missing something control wise. Turning in general just seems incredibly difficult. I'm always hitting the sides or going off course no matter how carefully I try to go at it. It would be helpful if there was some sort of tutorial or training course or something.

Here's a video of me in Driveclub. Maybe you guys can help me figure out what the hell I'm
doing wrong.

Merun

I don't really understand this: shifting down does not improve braking if you're already standing on the brakes, and you can't shift down if the next gear would put the engine over the red line - unless you want to blow up the engine.

Maybe Driveclub doesn't queue shifts (like pressing twice should shift down twice when able) or maybe it could shift down a bit sooner even if that gets really close to engine redline. But shifting down as fast as you want shouldn't be a thing ...

Downshifting is used IRL for engine brake, which can be combined with normal braking to increase braking performance. However yes you can't downshift as you please as well, so it might be a voluntary design choice to prevent that.

I would play manual if I had a wheel, but I don't. Note that in automatic transmission, you can still manually shift.

kyser73

Oh didn't notice the flags change color according to the sharpness of the turn. That should help.

I guess it just seems like the AI is able to take the turns much faster and with more control than I can. This they constantly leave me in the dust.

I've gotta be missing something control wise. Turning in general just seems incredibly difficult. I'm always hitting the sides or going off course no matter how carefully I try to go at it. It would be helpful if there was some sort of tutorial or training course or something.

Here's a video of me in Driveclub. Maybe you guys can help me figure out what the hell I'm
doing wrong.

Maybe start off with the hot hatches tour in the dry to get into the controls?

sneaky77

The challenges themselves bug out by changing the challenge, thus having a quicker time. The challenge that I had happen to me was a 3 lap race with a start time of 8:20am originally. I attempted this challenge around 5 times initially, came back to the challenge a few days later with it asking for only 1 lap and had a start at midnight.

Seems like a challenge should not be allowed to be modified after is sent..

Tommi84

doing wrong.

Ohh... i don't know... EVERYTHING? Switch to auto transmission, go to hot hatch to learn how to drive, no wet tracks for now, speed up, use O for handbreak and learn to drive.

Vaga

doing wrong.

That was a pain to watch, I've never seen someone drive so badly. Did you touch a racing game before this? You can't even make a clean turn at low speed but you complain about controls being "difficult" lol. First off ditch the weather, manual transmission and fast cars. Grab the slowest hot hatch, pick a track preferably a circuit and race your ghost till you learn all the turns by heart. Keep pushing the car to the limit lap by lap. It's not rocket science.

leng jai

Actually driving on the road would help as well. You seem to have trouble with it even on straights. You're slamming into walls on extremely basic turns because half your car is off track. That one decent turn at the start you started braking about 2 second too late. Your best bet would be to turn off weather and start off in a slower car. I can't imagine you liking any racing game whatsoever driving like that. DC's handling is extremely easy to get into in comparison to other games.

Rushy

Man that 599 is insanely good. Don't get the logic of restricting it to MP only.
Licensing not logic.

Is anyone else having problems in photo mode where sometimes the post-processing doesn't kick in at all? Okay, wait... it just did it's thing after (I kid you not) around a minute. It's done that a few times, take longer than it should to do anything.
We've resolved this, it only occurs in rare circumstances (mainly in tunnels), but expect it in a future game update.

I'm curious about something: How are current drift scores going to be handled? Are all of the events going to be reset, or only the top X scores, or only scores that would have violated the old rules, or do those ghosts get re-scored somehow? I have a lot of really high drift scores (of varying levels of jankiness) and I'll be a little sad if the clean ones get dropped... but that's life.
Initially all we've done is prevent people from looping back & forth in drift zones. We'll be carefully considering any score changes in the future and won't want anyone to lose legit scores.

Now all Rushy has to do is fix the Manual downshift issue. Never played a game where you can't just downshift whenever you please. Ridiculous that you have to wait until its at a very low Rev limit.
We'll explore loosening this restriction, but this is true to life in many of these cars as they operate a manumatic gearbox which allow full manual control but just like in the game prevent you gear-shifting earlier than you should be able to do so to protect the engine.

And to follow up on the store issues, as stated on DRIVECLUB twitter the Store team have been able to resolve the download problems. So go grab that Ignition pack!

Plus please keep the feedback coming, you guys are helping influence and shape the game over the coming months.

Ferr986

I guess RexNovis is used to full arcade games or even kart racers, where you dont lose control of your car no matter what. Its basically down on practicing turns and dont be too hard on gas while turning (I dont have the game yet but I played it and I also had to adjust at first because Im so used to arcade racers)

Licensing not logic.

We've resolved this, it only occurs in rare circumstances (mainly in tunnels), but expect it in a future game update.

Initially all we've done is prevent people from looping back & forth in drift zones. We'll be carefully considering any score changes in the future and won't want anyone to lose legit scores.

We'll explore loosening this restriction, but this is true to life in many of these cars as they operate a manumatic gearbox which allow full manual control but just like in the game prevent you gear-shifting earlier than you should be able to do so to protect the engine.

And to follow up on the store issues, as stated on DRIVECLUB twitter the Store team have been able to resolve the download problems. So go grab that Ignition pack!

Plus please keep the feedback coming, you guys are helping influence and shape the game over the coming months.

Rushy, any thoughts on control scheme loadouts?

My mate is a triggers and AT type. I prefer X/Square and MT. When we're playing "pass the controller", it's a right ballache to be constantly remapping controls between goes. Being able to select controller loadouts would be a godsend. Low priority, I know.

Vaga

Regarding the off-road portions of the tracks, I've noticed you've changed the way these areas affect you as in they now drastically slow you down when cutting a corner or going off road with 2 wheels even on straights. I almost went from 250km/h to a complete stop on sinclair pass in about 10 meters. I am up for corner penalties and for the off-road to slow you down a little bit but I think this is too much, it reminds me of forza's velcro guard rails and off-road areas.

Also regarding time trials, there should be a check for off-track penalties or track collisions so that the time should not be updated if they exists.

I also think the off-track timer should be removed, it has no purpose as there is a reset button and I can't take beautiful photos in the grass if I keep getting teleported back on track :)

Lastly can something be done about the invisible walls? While I understand the nature and purpose of these some areas on mostly every track have visible obstacles like ridges, rocks, barriers etc but even before you hit these you will hit an invisible wall. Kinda immersion breaking.

Thanks for the support, doing a great job so far.

How does licensing restrict a car to multiplayer over single player? That seems really odd...
It is an odd decision. Only explanations I can think of are:
Ferrari are weird.
Another game has the rights to it but MP is a loophole to use it.
Ferrari offered it on the cheap for MP only.
Ferrari don't want people taking photos of it and you can't use Photo Mode in MP.

Regarding the off-road portions of the tracks, I've noticed you've changed the way these areas affect you as in they now drastically slow you down when cutting a corner or going off road with 2 wheels even on straights. I almost went from 250km/h to a complete stop on sinclair pass in about 10 meters. I am up for corner penalties and for the off-road to slow you down a little bit but I think this is too much, it reminds me of forza's velcro guard rails and off-road areas.

Also regarding time trials, there should be a check for off-track penalties or track collisions so that the time should not be updated if they exists.

I also think the off-track timer should be removed, it has no purpose as there is a reset button and I can't take beautiful photos in the grass if I keep getting teleported back on track :)

Lastly can something be done about the invisible walls? While I understand the nature and purpose of these some areas on mostly every track have visible obstacles like ridges, rocks, barriers etc but even before you hit these you will hit an invisible wall. Kinda immersion breaking.

Thanks for the support, doing a great job so far.
I agree on the slowing down - I think they've changed that twice now, once a little while ago and in the latest patch it seems a lot harsher. Somewhere in the middle would probably be the sweet spot.

I disagree on discounting times where someone has gone off track or touched the sides. Wrong to disallow a time if they just put a wheel on the dirt. It slows them down, they didn't gain an advantage - as you just explained about coming to a near stop.

I'm sure you're coming at it from the viewpoint of someone cutting a corner massively rather than someone dipping a wheel off but ultimately it would be very difficult for the game to distinguish well enough between someone gaining an advantage and someone impeded but still having an otherwise good lap time.

For example, I was trying a challenge earlier and the leading time went wide at two points in the lap, during those points I gained on them - but they ultimately still had the best time overall but under your rules their time wouldn't count - I don't see why they shouldn't.

The teleporting is probably needed for glitches and out-of-bounds opportunities, but maybe increase the delay in it appearing?

Vaga

I disagree on discounting times where someone has gone off track or touched the sides. Wrong to disallow a time if they just put a wheel on the dirt. It slows them down, they didn't gain an advantage - as you just explained about coming to a near stop.

I'm sure you're coming at it from the viewpoint of someone cutting a corner massively rather than someone dipping a wheel off but ultimately it would be very difficult for the game to distinguish well enough between someone gaining an advantage and someone impeded but still having an otherwise good lap time.

For example, I was trying a challenge earlier and the leading time went wide at two points in the lap, during those points I gained on them - but they ultimately still had the best time overall but under your rules their time wouldn't count - I don't see why they shouldn't.

I was reffering to:

1. when you massively cut a corner and you get a corner penalty
2. when you hit a barrier/rail etc and you get a track impact

The game detects these instances very well, it would stop unnecessary load on the servers and we would no longer have these sorts of things happening (that's the no1 time on bandipur, try to beat it) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXesI_AIt54.

I was reffering to:

1. when you massively cut a corner and you get a corner penalty
2. when you hit a barrier/rail etc and you get a track impact

The game detects these instances very well, it would stop unnecessary load on the servers and we would no longer have these sorts of things happening (that's the no1 time on bandipur, try to beat it) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXesI_AIt54.
Again though, the hard part is to determine when they lost time and when they gained it.

So in the video above - yes they have gained time. I found a similar incident on a Maplewood challenge, the top guy was hitting the outside wall in the tight hairpin at the bottom end of the track. I lost time to them even if I totally nailed that corner, but when trying their strategy I found I was either getting a Collision Penalty and losing more time than braking normally or if I went slower to avoid the Collision Penalty and just getting the Track Impact negative Fame award I was losing too much time by the wall slowing me down, so they obviously just got the sweet spot.

So whilst that example is annoying - the person who ran wide in my earlier example clipped an outside wall during their first cock-up (in the second they just hit the run-off area) - it slowed them and I gained time over them. It wasn't a case of them using the wall for advantage but they would have had the same Track Impact negative Fame award as in your example.

And I think that for my example their time should still stand. They made a cock-up and lost time. But ultimately the rest of their lap was superior to everyone else and were top of the board and the opportunity is there for someone to match the rest of their lap, but beat them in their cock-up areas.

-Amon-

Downshifting is used IRL for engine brake, which can be combined with normal braking to increase braking performance.

No.

Brakes have far more stopping power than engine torque. You can use early downshifts to alter brake balance in 2wd cars, since brake balance is usually unchangable in street cars, but the stopping power that comes from downshifting early applies to a couple of wheel only in 2wd vehicles.

That's all.

-Amon-

The effect is unrealistic but it's used to counter people that cut corners like there's not tomorrow in time attack and online races. It works, now if you drive always on the tarmac you're faster.

Merun

No.

Brakes have far more stopping power than engine torque. You can use early downshifts to alter brake balance in 2wd cars, since brake balance is usually unchangable in street cars, but the stopping power that comes from downshifting early applies to a couple of wheel only in 2wd vehicles.

That's all.

Thanks for the finer detail. I have only driven 2wd cars IRL so that's where I got that experience. Of course I don't expect any engine brake to be better than brake.

Auctopus

Could someone give me some advice on the Unbeatable trophy (5 sent/won challenges)?

I've sent and won loads but have yet to receive the trophy.

-Amon-

I would really like to be able to map gear upshifts / downshifts to up / down movement of the right stick. GT5 used to implement this mechanic really well. One down movement - back to neutral position = one gear shift. If you keep the stick down, no downshift till the stick is back in neutral position. Feels really good.

I've always done it in all games where i could not use my wheel and i find it the best way to manual shift gears with gamepads.

Top Bottom