• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

Vaga

Again though, the hard part is to determine when they lost time and when they gained it.

No, it doesn't matter, if it's not clean it should not get uploaded.

The effect is unrealistic but it's used to counter people that cut corners like there's not tomorrow in time attack and online races. It works, now if you drive always on the tarmac you're faster.

It can be countered with what I said before. As for online I have no incentive to play anymore with the stupid velcro guard rails and off road. Every time I try to pass some idiot he then proceeds to bounce me off the track and there I go to an almost complete stop. It's fuckin stupid, unrealistic and lazy to implement. They fixed the pit maneuver and they added this. One step forward...

And I'd love an option to turn off the face-offs online, can't see the track because of the big checkerboards (or at least put them on the ground).

No, it doesn't matter, if it's not clean it should not get uploaded
What you want to prevent is cheating, and the addition of times that cannot be beaten by sticking to the racing line and hitting every apex with great precision.

Entering a time where someone loses time by going wide and clips a wall, gaining the same Track Impact negative Fame award as someone bashing the wall for advantage, is not detriment to that and so it is not the right solution to the problem as it affects all drivers, not just those seeking to purposely gain advantage.

It is ludicrous to suggest that if you step off track the time should not count. Just look at motorsport - if you go wide and lose time your time still counts. The only time it doesn't is if going wide gained you time.

It is better to prevent the problem earlier on by adjusting the affect of Collision Penalties and the detection thereof to better catch those gaining advantages.

lordxar

My DC wishlist:

An avg speed indicator while you run a track. Mostly just curious but I like seeing it when running the speed challenges. Would be cool to see it over the whole run.

Would love to see a way to link tracks for challenges like the tour modes do. Further, allow linking races, time trials, and/or drifting for a mixed bag challenge.

Lobbies for club head to head.

Someone mentioned a while back about replays in photo mode. Even if it's only a few seconds it gets you to the moment you want to see.

Custom track builder would be sweet but I won't hold my breath on that one. I suck at making things but the community makes great stuff.

I don't know how but some sort of test drive mode like a test track or something. Some way to try a car out on a simple looping course. Yea you can pick any track but sometimes I just want to see how a car performs without actually doing anything. Wouldn't count toward stats of course.

It's not like the game needs more but more goodies are always better!

Edit: easy way to compare cars also

Oppo

finally checked out the challenges. pretty nifty.

but then:

"error communicating with server"

I really, really don't want to see that anymore. I'm a big fan of this game but holy shit, what the FUCK.

when is it finally going to all work?? ever??

whiteape

Can i buy the DC Plus Upgrade version instead of the normal version, even if the ps+ edition is not out yet? Is it the same game and can i play it right now? I'm asking because it would be cheaper then…

Edit: Nevermind, as a PS+ member you have to buy that version. Buying the standard game is impossible.

How many people are playing this game with a wheel? I bought a T300RS (not specifically for use with this game) and have been trying to play with it. I've only played a few hours, okay probably 2 hours, but I'm really not enjoying it on a wheel. I've ended up playing the game with a wheel but with a mindset that I'm using a controller if that makes sense. I get much more effective results pumping the brakes and slamming down throttle rather than actually using controlled movements. I typically play sim racers on PC or simcade racers by Codemasters and I just can't get the handling down on this game.

Is it just me?

wouwie

Plus please keep the feedback coming, you guys are helping influence and shape the game over the coming months.

Just wondering, is Evolution taking into consideration what has been said about the AI? Will there be tweaks in that regard? Driveclub has the potential to be an amazing game but the AI not taking into account the player's presence and just blindly following the ideal racing lines is frustrating and taking all the fun away. It makes trying to do clean races virtually impossible. Most races turn into a bump into each other kind of thing instead of a proper racing game. It doesn't help that all cars flock together until you have passed them all. It would be a lot more fun to overtake and race if cars spread out more during a race.

I really hope Evolution will takes the comments on AI on board.

Vaga

It is ludicrous to suggest that if you step off track the time should not count. Just look at motorsport - if you go wide and lose time your time still counts. The only time it doesn't is if going wide gained you time.

It is better to prevent the problem earlier on by adjusting the affect of Collision Penalties and the detection thereof to better catch those gaining advantages.

Is it that hard to understand what I said earlier? In only 2 cases should the time be flagged invalid both of which could gain you an advantage by cheating. You can go off track as much as you like as long as you don't trigger these 2 simple switches. I don't think there are methods of detecting your good/bad intentional driving.

Could someone give me some advice on the Unbeatable trophy (5 sent/won challenges)?

I've sent and won loads but have yet to receive the trophy.

I posted about it a couple of pages back, i noticed when trying to get the trophy that sometimes the score of the person you challenge does'nt get updated on the leaderboard.

Try it with a friend, sent him a challenge, after he made his run tell him to check the leaderboard for his score to show properly, after that check your sent challenges for his score.

I did the trophy the day challenges were enabled so i thought it was a networking problem making the game not refresh the data properly, it took me around 8 challenges to get the trophy cause 3 were not counting because of this issue.

dano1

A Sheep
Oh didn't notice the flags change color according to the sharpness of the turn. That should help.

I guess it just seems like the AI is able to take the turns much faster and with more control than I can. This they constantly leave me in the dust.

I've gotta be missing something control wise. Turning in general just seems incredibly difficult. I'm always hitting the sides or going off course no matter how carefully I try to go at it. It would be helpful if there was some sort of tutorial or training course or something.

Here's a video of me in Driveclub. Maybe you guys can help me figure out what the hell I'm
doing wrong.

One thing I noticed in your video besides not breaking early enough. Is that it looks like you are using the dpad to steer? If you are switch to the left stick. It will take time to get used to but it's the only way to get good times with the controller. And also use the triggers for gas and brake if your not.

Humidex

Is there somewhere that I can look at a complete, up-to-date car list? I mean without having to go in game and scroll through my garage.

Hot-Hatches

Audi A1 quattro
Mini John Cooper Works GP
Renault Clio RS
Volkswagen Golf GTI
Volkswagen Beetle GSR

Sports

Audi RS5
Audi TT RS Plus
Bentley Continental GT V8
BMW M135i
BMW M235i
Lotus Evora Sports Racer
Mercedes-Benz CLA 45 AMG
Mercedes-Benz A45 AMG

Performance

Alfa Romeo 4C
Aston Martin Vanquish
Aston Martin V12 Zagato
Audi RS6 Avant
Bentley Continental GT Speed
BMW M3 GTS
BMW M5
Ferrari California
Ferrari FF
Lotus Exige S
Maserati Gran Turismo MC Stradale
Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Coupe Black Series
Mercedes-Benz SL65 AMG 45th Anniversary Edition
RUF RGT 8
Spyker C8 Aileron

Super

Aston Martin V12 Vantage S
Aston Martin One 77
Ariel Atom 500 V8
Audi R8 V10 Plus
BAC Mono
Ferrari 458 Italia
Ferrari F12berlinetta
Ferrari 599 GTO
Ferrari 430 Scuderia
Marussia B2
McLaren 12C
Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Coupe Black Series
RUF RT12 R
Savage Rivale GTR-S
Spania GTA GTA Spano

Hyper

Gumpert Apollo Enraged
Hennesey Venom GT
Koenigsegg Agera R
McLaren P1
Pagani Huayra
Pagani Zonda R
RUF CTR3 Clubsport

On Ignition DLC

W Motors Lykan Hypersport
Caterham SP/ 300.R
KTM X-BOW R
BMW M4
Renault TwinRun

Upcoming on Redline DLC

Mercedes SLS AMG E-Drive
McLaren F1 LM
Renault Alpine A110-50
Ferrari 458 Speciale
Chevrolet Corvette Stingray

Is it that hard to understand what I said earlier? In only 2 cases should the time be flagged invalid both of which could gain you an advantage by cheating. You can go off track as much as you like as long as you don't trigger these 2 simple switches. I don't think there are methods of detecting your good/bad intentional driving.
Your scenarios are pretty clear, and I fully understand them.

Invalidate lap times where a Corner Penalty was given. (I am not contending this one)
Invalidate lap times where the Track Impact negative Fame award was given.

Few will have a hard time understanding that. But you're obviously not understanding what I am saying, so I'll re-explain it.

Let us take the video you posted again and call them User A, and we'll call you, the honest driver, Legit User.
- User A drives fast into a corner and doesn't bother braking.
- They are purposefully trying to gain an advantage by bouncing off the wall to maintain a higher speed than Legit User.
- The game gives them the Track Impact award, and slows them for touching the wall.
- The maintained speed is higher than Legit User.

Overall User A is quicker through the corner than Legit User and can post a time that Legit User cannot beat.

Now let us take my previous example, User B. This user is trying their best and is not seeking to unfairly gain advantage.
- User B drives into a corner just a little bit too fast, but they were braking and attempting to make the corner.
- User B brakes, but goes off track and touches the wall, but not as hard as User A.
- The Track Impact negative Fame is awarded because they impacted the boundaries of the track.
- Like User A, they too are slowed down due to going off road and touching the wall.
- Because they were at lower speed than User A, the maintained speed is much lower than Legit User.

Overall User B is slower through the corner than Legit User and User B cannot post an unachievable time for Legit User.

Under your rules, both User A and User B will not be allowed onto the leaderboards because they both had the Track Impact awarded to them, and this is despite the fact that User B lost time over the lap, and can easily be beaten.

Therefore I believe it to be the wrong angle of attack to suggest that if Track Impact is awarded that the lap time is invalidated - as previously mentioned, in real life motorsport you wouldn't be chucked out of qualifying by default just for touching a wall, and it shouldn't happen here.

Instead, you should make it so that the methods of User A are not pseudo-rewarded and the speed they maintain through the corner should be severely reduced so they cannot post unachievable times. Primarily better execution of Collision Penalty serves to remedy this.

In addition to that, using your method is only limiting the effect to Time Trials. User A could still wall bounce in offline and online races and gain advantages. Hampering them to the point that they cannot gain a time advantage whilst on track means they are then sufficiently penalised no matter the game mode.

dano1

A Sheep
finally checked out the challenges. pretty nifty.

but then:

"error communicating with server"

I really, really don't want to see that anymore. I'm a big fan of this game but holy shit, what the FUCK.

when is it finally going to all work?? ever??

They know there's a problem. Usually looking at the leaderboards gets the error. Just exit out after your done.

Ever going to work? Why wouldn't it?

I think it's great how much Evo are listening to the feedback, I've seen car & track suggestions on here appearing on the server list that night.

The next track DLC is kinda confirmed as Japan, so are we expecting twisty hillside roads or maybe the appearance of some urban tracks? How would you guys feel about a GT track appearing like Route 246 or an official circuit like Suzuka?

I think before I got the game I really wanted official real life circuits but now I've got the game I love the vast majority of the tracks they've designed and want more new tracks rather than tracks we've already lapped hundreds of times. That said, Nurburgring with dynamic weather would be something else.

I agree with lordxar's suggestion of adding an easy way to compare cars. As a new player, I don't yet have a good feel for the few cars I have. Scrolling across several makes it hard to compare the stats. If we could select and compare two that would be cool.

I also like the idea of a vanilla track to test handling. No addition to stats when used.

I agree with lordxar's suggestion of adding an easy way to compare cars. As a new player, I don't yet have a good feel for the few cars I have. Scrolling across several makes it hard to compare the stats. If we could select and compare two that would be cool.

I also like the idea of a vanilla track to test handling. No addition to stats when used.

Personally I don't see the point of a test track, your best bet is simply do a time trial on the same track with each car in a class - you get to learn the track and discover which car is quickest and has the feel that suits you. I did this and found it gave me a head start when competing online. Best picking a curcuit rather than a p2p tho as it's less hassle.

Thank you kindly.

Edit: Looking at that list, I feel we could use some more hatches. Peugeot 208? Renault Megane? Fiat Abarth 500?
Would be nice.

I know 90% of the DLC cars and I still feel that way :p

Renaultsport Megane would be awesome, primarily because I had the 250 and it is hands down best car I've ever had! Though the speakers were complete garbage. Looked super sexy in black.

Holy sh... I'm exhausted. I'm a more than average virtual driver and if there's something Driveclub does effin well it's to force you to press F and show some damn respect to those evil hypercars. These cars are just frightening and, I'll admit it, above my own driving skills. Every race in the tour with hypercars is a battle between you, a raging machine and the damn AI. This is exhausting but when it works, what a thrill...

That game, guys... That game!

Humidex

Would be nice.

I know 90% of the DLC cars and I still feel that way :p

Renaultsport Megane would be awesome, primarily because I had the 250 and it is hands down best car I've ever had! Though the speakers were complete garbage. Looked super sexy in black.

Wouldn't mind a classic hatchback. Like a 205 GTI...

Melchiah

My somewhat drunken grildfriend just played the game for the first time, and it was fun as hell.

VGAL6Dul.jpg

tJSWumpl.jpg

Here's a video of it:
http://youtu.be/KgGoDmGbqcM

aristotle

I'm really on the verge of buying this today. Should I wait for the rest of the Holiday Sale (week 3 & 4) or just pull the trigger now? I unfortunately can't buy the much cheaper version on amazon at this moment only digital. :(

Keep in mind, I love racers, but I have a tendency to play them for a bit and then forget about them for a few months.

I'm really on the verge of buying this today. Should I wait for the rest of the Holiday Sale (week 3 & 4) or just pull the trigger now? I unfortunately can't buy the much cheaper version on amazon at this moment only digital. :(

Keep in mind, I love racers, but I have a tendency to play them for a bit and then forget about them for a few months.

I'd say go for it (but I bloody love the game) - it's had me hooked since release and shows no sign of letting go.

Anarion07

I don't get how the game KNOWS my times, as in showing me which of my times to beat, but doesn't have them in the leaderboards.

Is there no fix for this?

I don't get how the game KNOWS my times, as in showing me which of my times to beat, but doesn't have them in the leaderboards.

Is there no fix for this?
They were wiped, accidentally or not no idea, it was never announced - regardless they went I think it was two weeks ago.

However, the ghost data is still there. So... basically you'll have a ghost but no/worse time.

Anarion07

They were wiped, accidentally or not no idea, it was never announced - regardless they went I think it was two weeks ago.

However, the ghost data is still there. So... basically you'll have a ghost but no/worse time.

Seems like most of my Hyper times are gone, the rest is almost untouched.
I had a lot <500 times, so damn.
That hurts.

lordxar

Personally I don't see the point of a test track, your best bet is simply do a time trial on the same track with each car in a class - you get to learn the track and discover which car is quickest and has the feel that suits you. I did this and found it gave me a head start when competing online. Best picking a curcuit rather than a p2p tho as it's less hassle.

Yea that can be done and is what I do now. The idea isn't to learn a track, see ghosts, see challenges, deal with curves, weather, etc. It's to just get in a car and drive with no distractions to get a feel for how the car performs. Sure I can turn the HUD off and all that but it's still going against the track, getting penalties and everything else. Maybe I want to learn a cars basic performance without the frustration of everything else, say the hyper cars I'm working on. Maybe I want to try drifting without worrying about a score. I think it would just be helpful in learning the car mechanics without dealing with all the overhead. Really a simple oval track would suffice. Doesn't have to be much.

I've been playing a lot of online weather events this weekend. I haven't played enough of the game yet to get annoyed when people play it like bumper cars but I imagine that honeymoon period isn't going to last much longer.

dano1

A Sheep
I've been playing a lot of online weather events this weekend. I haven't played enough of the game yet to get annoyed when people play it like bumper cars but I imagine that honeymoon period isn't going to last much longer.

Just be glad you weren't playing before the last 2 updates. It's actually really good now. People can't just spin you out whenever they want.

Ledhead

Just picked this up on sale for half off at future shop. How do the Clubs work? I would love to join a GAF club if that has been organized.

Just be glad you weren't playing before the last 2 updates. It's actually really good now. People can't just spin you out whenever they want.

Yeah, I played some matches a little after launch and it was much more silly. Seems like they've found a pretty good balance currently.

I think things are a little worse lately though, I don't know if that is because a lot of new players are on who don't know what they're doing.

viveks86

Thought I'll give weather a shot, so I took up a challenge with heavy precipitation and the Venom GT. Probably not the best way to get started. Was 22 seconds behind the top time after 3 attempts! O.O

Top Bottom