• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT3| Evolved

Week4_Results.png

Week4_Individual.png

Week4_Overall.png

Well done to Ainsz in winning the time trial and Sirenty the drift, and well done to Zalxll and Motorised Mallard for 2nd place in each.

The combined event is looking pretty much Sirenty's, with a massive 28 point lead whilst Ainsz cannot finish lower than 2nd. Motorised Mallard is a good bet for 3rd too with an 18 point advantage over ShockNinja.

The Drift Event has been won by Sirenty with Motorised Mallard, Ainsz and Abandoned Trolley to duke it out for the final podium positions.

The Time Trial could go either way, with Ainsz needing a 2nd place to take the overall victory whilst Sirenty needs to win and for Ainsz to finish 3rd or lower to claim it. ShockNinja can mathematically be caught by Vaga for 3rd but it would take a win by Vaga and 8th or lower from ShockNinja to happen.

I'll get the final round of challenges posted tonight, not sure what time it's going to be however.

Thank you to everyone whose taken part and taken time to comment - let me know your feeling about continuing these challenge events and what you'd like to see in future.

As you can probably tell, I love DCVR to the extent where despite getting new VR games for christmas I still put DCVR on whenever I get the opportunity (which isn't often enough! Can't play it whilst the kids are around for example).

It's not perfect however and here's some of the niggles that I've found :-

Missing cars - I've not really seen anyone else mention it but there are quite a few cars that didn't make the transition, the biggest loss being the Lamborghini's of course. It's mainly the DLC cars that haven't made it with no Nissans, Jaguars, Dodges, Honda or Renault Alpine either.

Seating Position - When you start a tour event you're outside the car so you can look at it from any angle, you then sit in the drivers seat and then get the opportunity to adjust your seating position. The game then remembers this adjustment and places you in the same place next time you use that car. When you race online however it places you directly in the car with no opportunity to adjust the position - after a while you get pretty good at judging how much you need to slouch / lean forward / back whilst holding the options button to get the position to reset!

Gap to rival - The green or red timing info that pops up when the guy in front / behind you is a lot less visible than the original game. The open cockpit cars have a floating HUD that you can see if you look up whilst the other cars have a screen appear in the car in front of the dash. By putting the display out of your normal view it helps the immersion (so no floating numbers in your view) but as the info is only shown briefly when the rival car passes through a sector you often have only your mirrors to rely on for how close the opposition is... which can be a problem in the Caterham as you have no mirrors!

It makes you worse at regular DC - But maybe it's just me!

It's genuinely scary at times! - https://youtu.be/45sVgEvEktk

F-Pina

Missing cars - I've not really seen anyone else mention it but there are quite a few cars that didn't make the transition, the biggest loss being the Lamborghini's of course. It's mainly the DLC cars that haven't made it with no Nissans, Jaguars, Dodges, Honda or Renault Alpine either.

I've heard that the main problem was with negotiating the licenses. I can only imagine that when they first negotiated the licenses, it was only meant for one game, and not two. They probably had to let a few go. I wonder how much Sony paid to get all the content in DCVR.

Weekly challenges opinion:
It is obvious some of us have more time than others to get the best time/score possible.
Whenever I get more free time, I always manage to get a good place. Regardless, I enjoy the challenges as they are and will probably continue to compete as long as you keep posting them here :)

On another note, is it me or does Ainsz always gets on the leaderboard sooner than anyone else? Whenever I start the new weekly challenges, he is already there :p

Don't think so.

Ainsz

On another note, is it me or does Ainsz always gets on the leaderboard sooner than anyone else? Whenever I start the new weekly challenges, he is already there :p

Me and Shannow are in cahoots. It's all fixed.

I was in and endurance race yesterday and after getting so far ahead I decided to drive in cockpit view. I love the view and can be more fun than the rear chase cam I use as default. But it was clear I was well over a second slower per lap and on at least 2mph slower through a certain average speed check.

Made me think about how the VR players stack up against the DC luddites like myself. While being able to turn your head freely surely helps, the restrictive nature of the driver position and perspective naturally makes for poorer judgment. Just the fact that you're lower down and cocooned in a cocoon of blind spots is going to be a hindrance.

Course I'm only talking from experience. I've pretty much played exclusively in third person since I've got Driveclub so obviously that will make a difference against cockpit view. And I can imagine chase cam in VR would feel like it's trying to pull your face off. Still, thought there might be something to what I was thinking.

F-Pina

I was in and endurance race yesterday and after getting so far ahead I decided to drive in cockpit view. I love the view and can be more fun than the rear chase cam I use as default. But it was clear I was well over a second slower per lap and on at least 2mph slower through a certain average speed check.

Made me think about how the VR players stack up against the DC luddites like myself. While being able to turn your head freely surely helps, the restrictive nature of the driver position and perspective naturally makes for poorer judgment. Just the fact that you're lower down and cocooned in a cocoon of blind spots is going to be a hindrance.

Course I'm only talking from experience. I've pretty much played exclusively in third person since I've got Driveclub so obviously that will make a difference against cockpit view. And I can imagine chase cam in VR would feel like it's trying to pull your face off. Still, thought there might be something to what I was thinking.

I KNEW IT! :)
You play in 3rd view? Interesting. I always play in hood-cam as it feels like I can get a better control of the car that way. Will try 3rd view in the next challenge.

Makikou

If they would have let you adjust FOV in cockpit camera then it would actually be usable. The default FOV is humongous and only works to increase the sensation of speed (fair enough) but in reality, who actually sits near the backseat in their real car?

Lol and you're first in on the new challenge too!

I think you just find a view your comfortable with and changing it will slow you down. As you know I always use bumper cam on DC yet we used to be very closely matched in our races together. I used to only really feel at a disadvantage when racing in a pack as the other cars block a lot of my view, but when I tried using the 3rd person cam the car felt really unresponsive and it just slowed me down.

You kick my arse on DC now but I dunno if that's down to you improving, me getting worse or that I've gotten used to VR.

I feel I'm better at driving in VR despite the more restricted view - I set a quicker time in fewer attempts in VR every time I do a challenge these days, it just feels easier to judge as it's more like driving a real car. Tracks I always struggled on in DC seem easier to drive in VR for some reason, like the road is easier to read as you're not having to translate depth from a 2d image.

farmerboy

Lol and you're first in on the new challenge too!

I think you just find a view your comfortable with and changing it will slow you down. As you know I always use bumper cam on DC yet we used to be very closely matched in our races together. I used to only really feel at a disadvantage when racing in a pack as the other cars block a lot of my view, but when I tried using the 3rd person cam the car felt really unresponsive and it just slowed me down.

You kick my arse on DC now but I dunno if that's down to you improving, me getting worse or that I've gotten used to VR.

On a serious note, I personally think that Ainsz is the biggest improver out of all the guys that have been around since day 1. He's gotten real good. My ability plateaued pretty early on, unfortunately.

farmerboy

OOOOFFF!!!....

*that feeling you get when you finally get a chance to post a time on one of Shannows challenges to find that a) he picked the fucking Mazzanti, b) it's a track I haven't played and c) I'm no fucking good.

at least it's only 2 corners and some bends

seriously though, fucking Mazzanti

OOOOFFF!!!....

*that feeling you get when you finally get a chance to post a time on one of Shannows challenges to find that a) he picked the fucking Mazzanti, b) it's a track I haven't played and c) I'm no fucking good.

at least it's only 2 corners and some bends

seriously though, fucking Mazzanti

LOL it's a great car, what ya moaning about!?! ;-)

Can't believe the times that have been set, my time was the record when I set it (I was 3 tenths quicker in VR tho)

I've been thinking about doing another rally after this week, and doing it the old way with very short timed challenges so people have just 1 or 2 attempts at setting a time. You never know, we might get Auctopus to have a go too as he preferred that way of operating.

I would need people to arrange a time with me that they want to do the rally, I'd send them all the challenges with an hour expiry on them and then sum up all their times. I'd be happy to run this over a week so can tailor the day and time to suit people (within reason of course). Anyone fancy this?

Ainsz

Not feeling the Mazzanti hate. Beauty of a motor that. Can't say I'm a massive fan of the track however. It's fine overall but that invisible wall really grates my lemon. A lot of it just feels unfinished, you can really tell in the environments surrounding it. There's a set of Buildings to the right when coming up the highway that are just blank squares with no detailing. Not that it matters what some buildings in the distance look like but it's a probable sign that these new set of tracks didn't get enough time to be tip top for release. They certainly don't have the polish that the original DC tracks have.

Finally got around to unboxing my G29 and setting up PS4/Camera in a place I can use it.
Though I really wish PS4 Camera cable was another 2m long.

I had forgotten just how nice it's to drive in VR with a wheel. Grabbed a few hours yesterday just abusing the KTM chasing time trial ghosts from GAF members.. lovely.

Everything is now close enough to the PC that I can try the PSVR with steam and see I've got the time/luck/power to get Assetto working as nicely as it did with the DK2. Hopefully I'll be able to down sample and see how good the display is.

PS is there a GAF DCVR club? I've not done the club think in DCVR and some of the cars are still locked.

Melchiah

Finally reached level 60, yay!

06axVqU.jpg

I've been racing with McLaren 650S Coupe and Ferrari 458 Speciale supers recently, as those manufaturers gave the most points for levelling up. McLaren was particularly fun to drive with its drifting.

Finally got around to unboxing my G29 and setting up PS4/Camera in a place I can use it.
Though I really wish PS4 Camera cable was another 2m long.

I had forgotten just how nice it's to drive in VR with a wheel. Grabbed a few hours yesterday just abusing the KTM chasing time trial ghosts from GAF members.. lovely.

Everything is now close enough to the PC that I can try the PSVR with steam and see I've got the time/luck/power to get Assetto working as nicely as it did with the DK2. Hopefully I'll be able to down sample and see how good the display is.

PS is there a GAF DCVR club? I've not done the club think in DCVR and some of the cars are still locked.

Yeah I've got a gaf club with a spare space, I'll send you an invite when I get on tomorrow :)

Finally reached level 60, yay!

06axVqU.jpg

I've been racing with McLaren 650S Coupe and Ferrari 458 Speciale supers recently, as those manufaturers gave the most points for levelling up. McLaren was particularly fun to drive with its drifting.

Took your time dint ya!?! ;-) The specialle is so easy to drive but it struggles a bit for speed against the 488GTB and 650S.

I'm still only 46 played some at the weekend although just multiplayer, didn't try the challenges (Sorry Shannow will look tonight)

Most of my time is really getting taken up by Werewolves Within though on the PSVR, honestly if you don't already have it, then go get it while it is on sale! £15.99 instead of £24.99 hard to explain other than saying it's 8 people sitting around a camp fire bullshitting each other! Great fun and easy to lose a few hours without realising.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hq7VJHwuYag

I'm still only 46 played some at the weekend although just multiplayer, didn't try the challenges (Sorry Shannow will look tonight)

Most of my time is really getting taken up by Werewolves Within though on the PSVR, honestly if you don't already have it, then go get it while it is on sale! £15.99 instead of £24.99 hard to explain other than saying it's 8 people sitting around a camp fire bullshitting each other! Great fun and easy to lose a few hours without realising.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hq7VJHwuYag

Werewolves Within is a game I'm on the fence with, lots of people seem to really like it but I just don't know if it's my thing - I'll check out your vid later tho as I haven't seen anyone playing it.

I had a really weird thing happen last night, I was playing DCVR for a couple of hours then when I took the headset and a headphone off blood was leaking out of my left ear! It kept bleeding all night and was still going this morning, apparently I bust a blood vessel in my ear... My headphones weren't on that loud either...

Werewolves Within is a game I'm on the fence with, lots of people seem to really like it but I just don't know if it's my thing - I'll check out your vid later tho as I haven't seen anyone playing it.

I had a really weird thing happen last night, I was playing DCVR for a couple of hours then when I took the headset and a headphone off blood was leaking out of my left ear! It kept bleeding all night and was still going this morning, apparently I bust a blood vessel in my ear... My headphones weren't on that loud either...

Damn! hope that heals up soon. No VR and headphones for you for a bit.

Check the video and see what you think, I love it and it makes a good change of pace to racing or shooting.

Melchiah

Took your time dint ya!?! ;-) The specialle is so easy to drive but it struggles a bit for speed against the 488GTB and 650S.

Yeah. =) After Evolution Studios were closed, it took a while for me to return to the game, as it kinda made me feel melancholic.

IIRC, I used Ferrari 458 Speciale in Lake Shoji track to get drift points for the Hoon-a-tic trophy. I did it so many times, that the manufacturer ended up as my most used in the game statistics, eventhough I've raced with BAC Mono a lot.

On a side note, the +60 level challenges seem pretty hard.

F-Pina

I am done with this weeks challenges, jeebus.
Couldn't get any better than what is now on the leaderboards. I know where I can improve to catch up on both but this stupid car... :p

Week 5 Results

Week_5_Results.png

Individual Event Standings

Event_Standings.png

Overall Standings

Overall_Standings.png

So despite Ainsz pulling out a double win in the final round it wasn't enough to dethrone Mr Consistent Sirenty whose two 2nd places were enough to take the overall win. Motorised Mallard again pulled off a strong couple of finishes with 4th in the time trial and 3rd in the drift and took 3rd place overall. Vaga took 3rd in the time trial and 5th in the drift which was enough to claim 4th overall, just two points ahead of ShockNinja who was the top VR player in the overall standings.

Thanks to everyone whose taken part, I'm gonna have a break for a couple of weeks before starting the next one - I might do a rally too, we'll see how it goes.

Cheers DHC, have to say that unfortunately my interest wained at the end, but that was more due to my time being spent with Werewolves Within. Speaking of rally, I picked up Dirt Rally the other day in preparation for VR DLC, how the hell do you turn the car, the thing just ploughs on in a single direction before going wildly wherever I don't want it to go.

Cheers DHC, have to say that unfortunately my interest wained at the end, but that was more due to my time being spent with Werewolves Within. Speaking of rally, I picked up Dirt Rally the other day in preparation for VR DLC, how the hell do you turn the car, the thing just ploughs on in a single direction before going wildly wherever I don't want it to go.

No probs bud, I feel the pull of the other VR experiences too as well as backlog guilt (i've hardly scratched the surface of Watchdogs 2 and RotTR).

I bought Dirt Rally at launch but never really got into it - you do eventually get a feel for the cars even though it feels like you need to crawl through the stages at first just to make it to the end. Hopefully VR will help with that spacial awareness, though I do think that if DCVR makes people vomit then sliding sideways and flying through the air in Dirt Rally is gonna be loads worse! Luckily you and I are at the next stage of human evolution and don't suffer VR sickness ;-)

I also bought Dirt Rally because of the VR news. After two days of playing dirt rally and getting the hang of keeping the cars more or less on the road at speed i just went back to DC. The first events were a disaster because i completely overeacted with the steering inputs. Every inch of Dirt Rally is nerve wracking because of the continious and relentless risk/reward decisions you have to make.

Sirenty

Week 5 Results

So despite Ainsz pulling out a double win in the final round it wasn't enough to dethrone Mr Consistent Sirenty whose two 2nd places were enough to take the overall win. Motorised Mallard again pulled off a strong couple of finishes with 4th in the time trial and 3rd in the drift and took 3rd place overall. Vaga took 3rd in the time trial and 5th in the drift which was enough to claim 4th overall, just two points ahead of ShockNinja who was the top VR player in the overall standings.

Thanks to everyone whose taken part, I'm gonna have a break for a couple of weeks before starting the next one - I might do a rally too, we'll see how it goes.

Nice work, Ainsz! Didn't realize you had both of them. I thought I laid down a good one in the drift but I'm not surprised you overtook it.

Thanks a lot for running these, Shannow. May curse very loudly on my couch, but it's always fun seeing what kind of car and track combination you come up with.

So what's the final result with regards to VR versus normal? Bout the same? I was fully expecting VR to have an advantage and kill us, and I'm kinda surprised it didn't.

Nice work, Ainsz! Didn't realize you had both of them. I thought I laid down a good one in the drift but I'm not surprised you overtook it.

Thanks a lot for running these, Shannow. May curse very loudly on my couch, but it's always fun seeing what kind of car and track combination you come up with.

So what's the final result with regards to VR versus normal? Bout the same? I was fully expecting VR to have an advantage and kill us, and I'm kinda surprised it didn't.

No probs bud, glad you enjoy them :)

As for VR being an advantage, I find it easier than normal DC but I'm not really a challenge expert. You may well go quicker in vr but it seems to vary per person - as you race cars in real life I can see there being some advantage to it but we haven't seen any of the other fast guys make the switch to VR (AnythingBut has it but seems to play Assetto Corsa instead). I think the years of experience people have on normal DC negate a lot of the DCVR advantages when it comes to pure time trials (and VR players seem to really struggle in drifting) but personally having got VR I don't think I could go back to normal DC.

Another big thanks to Shannow for organizing these events. I certainly wouldn't normally put the time in repeatedly to get faster or better without the challenges. Those drift events really bumped up my score faster than I expected. Maybe I just need more DC friends :)
Oh and it actually forced to level up in DCVR to unlock the cars.
Thanks again!

PS. Another Dirt Rally purchaser due to VR. A double dip as already own on the PC from early access days. Might even try the PSVR with SteamVR tonight.

Another big thanks to Shannow for organizing these events. I certainly wouldn't normally put the time in repeatedly to get faster or better without the challenges. Those drift events really bumped up my score faster than I expected. Maybe I just need more DC friends :)
Oh and it actually forced to level up in DCVR to unlock the cars.
Thanks again!

PS. Another Dirt Rally purchaser due to VR. A double dip as already own on the PC from early access days. Might even try the PSVR with SteamVR tonight.

Again, no probs and thanks for taking part:) I've sent you a club invite but it was playing silly buggers so if you don't get it then send me a join request. I'm on a lot of nights between 8 and 10.30 too so feel free to join me for a race if your on.

F-Pina

Thanks for the good work DHC-Shannow!
Hope I have time to compete when the next challenges start, I will certainly will be here to at least go for a drive :)

Returning to this after a long hiatus. I've finished all the initial series with all stars, cockpit/manual/no assists but now playing on hardcore mode and damn. 'Target Practise' with the KTM is excruciatingly hard, I'm still 4s off the pace for 1 star!!

Returning to this after a long hiatus. I've finished all the initial series with all stars, cockpit/manual/no assists but now playing on hardcore mode and damn. 'Target Practise' with the KTM is excruciatingly hard, I'm still 4s off the pace for 1 star!!

Yeah I just had a look at that - the ktm can be a bit tricky in slow corners in normal mode, never mind in the wet and hardcore! For those interested in having a bash, it's glenmorgan with light rain and the time your looking to beat is 1:28...

Yeah I just had a look at that - the ktm can be a bit tricky in slow corners in normal mode, never mind in the wet and hardcore! For those interested in having a bash, it's glenmorgan with light rain and the time your looking to beat is 1:28...
Forgive me if this has already been discussed. I've just noticed the star ghost cars/times in hardcore mode are the same as the non hardcore. So while it's not too tough to beat the AI (who seem to be using hardcore levels) and get those stars, it's bloody difficult/impossible to get some of the time attack stars. Grip levels seem much lower in hardcore mode, I certainly can't match the AI braking. Unless I've just got quite crap at the game :D

Forgive me if this has already been discussed. I've just noticed the star ghost cars/times in hardcore mode are the same as the non hardcore. So while it's not too tough to beat the AI (who seem to be using hardcore levels) and get those stars, it's bloody difficult/impossible to get some of the time attack stars. Grip levels seem much lower in hardcore mode, I certainly can't match the AI braking. Unless I've just got quite crap at the game :D

Yeah hardcore mode was a late addition and doesn't really have much to offer apart from the reduced grip / greater realism. There's no separate leaderboards or even indication that you set the time using hardcore. You can't specify hardcore to be used in a challenge but I think you can force it to be used in a private lobby. Ghosts are shared between both modes as are the targets which may well be impossible to achieve in hardcore mode - some drift events may be easier however.

Played a lot more with the VR at weekend in multiplayer, lobbies seemed full of either people that were so slow it was unbelievable, or others that seemed to think my passenger door was their additional braking point! Which showed where their skill was as once I was clear it was a gentle stroll to the finish most races.

Played a lot more with the VR at weekend in multiplayer, lobbies seemed full of either people that were so slow it was unbelievable, or others that seemed to think my passenger door was their additional braking point! Which showed where their skill was as once I was clear it was a gentle stroll to the finish most races.

Yeah the servers are often more occupied since Christmas but unfortunately the people who'll give you a good race are still quite few and far between - some races I'll wait for them to pass me so I can have another go at getting a clean pass, or I'll shadow them for a lap or two to give them incentive not to rage quit :-( If I find someone who'll give me a good race then I'll try to stay on the same server as them.

We'll have to try to get together again for a few races bud, be good if we could get a few more members of the team on too (SigSwat? AnythingBut?) :)

Yeah the servers are often more occupied since Christmas but unfortunately the people who'll give you a good race are still quite few and far between - some races I'll wait for them to pass me so I can have another go at getting a clean pass, or I'll shadow them for a lap or two to give them incentive not to rage quit :-( If I find someone who'll give me a good race then I'll try to stay on the same server as them.

We'll have to try to get together again for a few races bud, be good if we could get a few more members of the team on too (SigSwat? AnythingBut?) :)

Some nice races last night, few silly mistakes from me here and there made things harder for myself than they should have been. Here's my view of that 3 way battle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URGReOmHJLw

Auctopus

Still keep an eye on this thread, so jealous of those VR races.

Just thought I'd mention that Dirt 4 has just been announced by Codemasters. Anyone think Evolution might be working on this?

Still keep an eye on this thread, so jealous of those VR races.

Just thought I'd mention that Dirt 4 has just been announced by Codemasters. Anyone think Evolution might be working on this?

Hopefully some of the team, even if they just transfer some the Driveclub magic, that gives that sense of speed or The head/camera movement conveys that much info. The way impact of the inclines on the is felt on the handling model, all great stuff.

Oh and give me some of those real time volumetric clouds/lighting/weather/snow :D

Actually it would be awesome of have many of the features from DC in D4, tho is Dirt Rally's VR is good then D4 better have it in.

Top Bottom