• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driveclub Pre-E3 preview event

stryke

Polygon

It is fun, in the way of racing games that are neither too simmy nor too arcadey. As I zoomed through the curvy lanes of an Indian rural mountainside, past the lusty green fields, my car gave up slides and turns without complaint or penalty. Oh sure, on my first try I came in last. But on my second I was mixing it up with the winners. I wanted to play some more.

thesixthaxis

Much is made about the refresh rate in games these days, and if that is something that matters so absolutely to you that you will not play a game, then Driveclub is not for you. However, it is consistent and is rendered in 1080p with a rock solid 30 frames per second no matter what’s being thrown about on screen.

[...]

The graphics engine, the variety of locations and the depth to the details in every aspect of the game is impressive, with further graphical effects and refinements still to come, while the core driving experience was easy to pick up and play, but over time will hopefully also be able to offer the depth and nuance that the more vocal racing fans demand.

IGN

Since we have nothing else on PS4 to compare it to yet, I'd say that Driveclub's 1080p, 30 frame-per-second graphics are roughly on par with Forza Motorsport 5's 1080p/60fps looks. I'd give the slight edge to Forza when making a mental comparison, but I'd have to put them side-by-side in order to really make a call. But this isn't a console face-off; PS4 players are certainly not going to be disappointed by Driveclub's looks.

Gamespot

The most important part of any racing game is the way its cars feel, so let's get this out of the way first: Driveclub is neither an arcade nor a simulation racer. It occupies a middle ground between those two spectrums, with licensed cars that feel weighty and capable of understeering into a hillside if you fail to anticipate a corner in time, but that are forgiving enough that you don't need to be too delicate about your tires' relationship with the asphalt below them.

The audio goes a long way toward selling the realism of these vehicles, with punchy squeals and throaty engines providing an exciting soundtrack to your exploits on the road. I didn't get to spend enough time with the game to decide how well the whole driving experience comes together, however, but my initial reaction suggests that it feels pretty solid. There doesn't seem to be a huge amount of nuance between vehicles--I would have expected the Ariel Atom to feel much more sprightly than the Ferrari F12berlinetta, for example--but that's a gut reaction that comes from a single race spent with each car. Hopefully I can form a more developed opinion at E3.

Gamesradar

When it comes to photorealism in games, racers will always be ahead of the pack. No need to render oddly unconvincing eyes, skin, or faces that reside in the heart of the uncanny valley. All the graphical attention to detail can go to the tracks and the ludicrously expensive cars that speed through them. And I've never seen a racing game that looked quite as real--or beautiful--as Driveclub on the PS4.

VentureBeat

I raced a couple of times on a hillside track against 11 other computer-driven cars. Those cars were aggressive and weren’t easy to beat. I crashed a few times but got the hang of it by the second race. The game is not super easy, but you can adjust the difficulty settings. While I drove, I admired the shimmering hood of my car as the sunlight bounced off of it. But yeah, I’m a lousy racer. It didn’t seem like it would take long to learn how to drive, though.

GameInformer

First of all, the game looks great. It's fast and the couple of cars I drove felt good – somewhere in between being casual and being sim. The lighting effects make the world pop out, and you can even change the time elapse of day into night. On the track, the A.I. cars exhibited some different lines. I didn't win the two races I participated in, which I take as a good sign!

VG247
Driveclub: What’s free, how it’s better since the delay, and why you should care
Driveclub: Brand new off-screen race footage
Driveclub: “We could have released it last year, it would have been a good game…”
Driveclub: The insane levels of detail in PS4′s new racing franchise

Digital Spy

DRIVECLUB may have stalled on the starting line a couple of times - it was originally planned to launch alongside the PS4 last year - but Evolution Studios' delayed racer promises to bring something unique to the genre when it drifts in this October.

The game straddles the divide between the arcade and simulation sub-categories, but to lump it into either one does it a disservice.

While this PS4 exclusive strikes a balance between petrolhead-pleasing authenticity and accessibility, what makes DRIVECLUB really stand out is its social elements.

CVG

Our play test was brief, but it was enough to confirm that DriveClub is a fast game with narrow, thrilling courses that hurl turns at you in quick succession, and cars that, with solid driving technique, can blast around them at an alarming pace. Detailed environments, roaring engine notes and intricate touches such as the visible vibration of the road coming up through the suspension of the car offers a satisfying and visceral sense of speed throughout the race. And, most importantly, it is fun.

Destructoid

A couple of challenge races around a single track was enough to have me feeling better about that first showing at E3 last year. This version of Driveclub looks and plays much better, and has plenty of social connectivity hooks that I’m sure I’ll be getting into. I had a good time going up against other previewers last week — I quickly tuned into the driving feel and was able to place second by my second lap, and was happy to jump back in again to try to top it. If I got that much from just one challenge, I could see getting much more out of the full experience.

Joystiq

Videogamer

PlayStation Access

FranXico

From the IGN preview:

Since we have nothing else on PS4 to compare it to yet, I'd say that Driveclub's 1080p, 30 frame-per-second graphics are roughly on par with Forza Motorsport 5's 1080p/60fps looks. I'd give the slight edge to Forza when making a mental comparison, but I'd have to put them side-by-side in order to really make a call.

LOL what?

FranXico

It's pretty amazing to see the evolution (teehee) of this game. It went from overall bad impressions from the graphics and gameplay to overwhelmingly positive impressions.

All of which proves that the delay was not about the social features.

Begaria

"Since we have nothing else on PS4 to compare it to yet, I'd say that Driveclub's 1080p, 30 frame-per-second graphics are roughly on par with Forza Motorsport 5's 1080p/60fps looks. I'd give the slight edge to Forza when making a mental comparison, but I'd have to put them side-by-side in order to really make a call."

I know of a certain livejournal that's going to have a field day with this quote.

Chobel

IGN said:
Since we have nothing else on PS4 to compare it to yet, I'd say that Driveclub's 1080p, 30 frame-per-second graphics are roughly on par with Forza Motorsport 5's 1080p/60fps looks

LOL!!!

All of which proves that the delay was not about the social features.

It's different people who will work on the UI and social features that work on Sound, Car Ai Lighting etc.

The extra time needed for UI & Social Integration just gave the others guys more time to polish - Rushy said as much.

I'll really looking forward to it

Gamespot seems to think that the car models on Forza is better, so it's not all black-and-white.

With that being said, that same article also stated that aside from car models which is competitive, everything else about Driveclub's visuals ( environment, lighting, etc ) is noticeably better.

Well, we'll know in time.

bombshell

Since we have nothing else on PS4 to compare it to yet, I'd say that Driveclub's 1080p, 30 frame-per-second graphics are roughly on par with Forza Motorsport 5's 1080p/60fps looks. I'd give the slight edge to Forza when making a mental comparison, but I'd have to put them side-by-side in order to really make a call. But this isn't a console face-off; PS4 players are certainly not going to be disappointed by Driveclub's looks.

Ladies and gentlemen. I present to you Ryan McCaffrey.

DriveClub looks leagues better than Forza 5 in the lighting department.

Goodness me that IGN preview is going to start a storm on GAF, having not seen the finished product it's hard to say whether that's legit, but seems very unlikely to say the least.

BigDug13

I think the "smaller version of the game for free on PS+" is a smart decision overall as well as the (180'd) $10 discount on the entire game to own.

It's really going to be a demo but based on the final build which most demos are not, and may in the end help them sell more copies than they otherwise would.

Then why mention it at all? What a dickwad.

Tsundere

Banned
Then why mention it at all? What a dickwad.

He definitely put it there on purpose to give Microsoft a mention.

He didn't write this up and post it right away, he had ample time to compare his footage of DRIVECLUB to Forza... He didn't need to have a "mental comparison".

This writer is a joke.

GAF getting super salty from the IGN preview.
If someone writes a bunch of bullshit why are people salty if they question it?

Anyone can see than DriveClub looks better than Forza 5. Forza 5 however runs at double the frames so DriveClub better be graphically more impressive.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Let's not discuss IGN. Let's bask in the wonderful light of our true savoir... Driveclub. Praise be to Rushy!

GameSeeker

DriveClub looks a lot better, but Forza runs at 60 FPS...

Beauty is the Eye of the Beholder.

With that said, Forza 5 is an excellent game, but it doesn't come close to DriveClub on a purely visual comparison.

Eurogamer said:
"The cars are the most detailed cars you'll ever see in a racing game, inside or out," he [Paul Rustchynsky] insisted.

"We make sure all the worlds are densely populated. The vistas, well, you can see them. There are no shortcuts taken. We don't have 2D crowds or baked shadows. Everything's dynamic. Everything from our dynamic lighting solution to screen space reflections, and our anti-aliasing techniques - we use similar techniques to temporal anti-aliasing and also FX anti-aliasing as well. We've got radiosity and dynamic volumetric clouds, which you'll see god rays being cast through. You've got headlights in cars at night time, which will cast shadows onto other cars on front.

"It's all these things which couldn't be done last generation. We're really pushing the visual boundaries."

If Forza 5 did all the graphics techniques that DriveClub does, it would run at 30fps too.

Kysen

The game is 30fps because they went for better graphics, so to say that it looks on par with Forza which scales back everything to run at 60fps is complete bs.

Kru

I'd say that Driveclub's 1080p, 30 frame-per-second graphics are roughly on par with Forza Motorsport 5's 1080p/60fps looks. I'd give the slight edge to Forza when making a mental comparison,

What is this heathen talk?
Surely this is a joke, right?

You cannot possibly think that having SEEN both.

I'm gonna go lie down..

teiresias

Hahaaaa, what a buffoon. I mean, seriously. People get paid to be this wrong about stuff.

jaypah

Mmmm, that was some tasty bait.

Every new showing for this game makes October seem further and further despite it actually getting closer and closer. The lighting alone is just a total mindfuck.

Man, I am so hyped for this game and cannot wait for October 8th. After reading these impressions, it looks like I'll be dishing out the $50 for the full game upgrade.

psychotron

Not gonna get mad over that IGN quote. Game will be the quality we all know it's shaping up to be, and he'll just look foolish for his words. We all win.

hohoXD123

Since we have nothing else on PS4 to compare it to yet, I'd say that Driveclub's 1080p, 30 frame-per-second graphics are roughly on par with Forza Motorsport 5's 1080p/60fps looks. I'd give the slight edge to Forza when making a mental comparison, but I'd have to put them side-by-side in order to really make a call. But this isn't a console face-off;

What...what am I reading here?

Edit: Oh, Ryan Mcaffery. Makes sense I guess. I'll never be able to take him seriously on things like this after that MS job begging on twitter. Good to see from the other previews that DC is maintaining a solid 30 regardless of the conditions, can't wait to see what other improvements they make between now and release.

gruenel

uannb9w.png

What the hell

This game needs a photo mode

Salz01

The ign preview is a joke because of Ryan. That guy is such a fan of Xbox. No way can he be subjective. Even has to throw a shout out for Forza. Comon.....

uannb9w.png

What the hell

This game needs a photo mode

They will have a photo mode.

The ign preview is a joke because of Ryan. That guy is such a fan of Xbox. No way can he be subjective. Even has to throw a shout out for Forza. Comon.....

I'm only shocked they did not plug Titanfall into the preview somehow. " I think I had a little more fun piloting a Titan then I did piloting this car, but lets not debate semantics here "

Top Bottom